wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

1 hour ago, window12 said:

Also what will happen to Firouzpour at 92 kg. Will he at some point wrestle Ghassempour?

Yes, He earned himself a place in final trials by winning the Asians

he will wrestle the winner of Takhti Cup first and the winner will face Ghasempour .

At 70..

So Yeganeh retired, so he's not going to attend I assume despite being on the list. 

Maghsoudi didn't wrestle back in the repechage of the nationals and I believe they said if you don't wrestle back then that's your year over. Why is he being allowed to compete? Or do I remember it wrong? 

1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

At 70..

So Yeganeh retired, so he's not going to attend I assume despite being on the list. 

Maghsoudi didn't wrestle back in the repechage of the nationals and I believe they said if you don't wrestle back then that's your year over. Why is he being allowed to compete? Or do I remember it wrong? 

Yes I believe he is not going to wrestle. or at least that's what I hope for

as for Maghsoudi, maybe he had a note from the doctor or something like that. after all they accepted his excuse and he was allowed to wrestle in Takhti Cup qualifiers

18 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Yes I believe he is not going to wrestle. or at least that's what I hope for

as for Maghsoudi, maybe he had a note from the doctor or something like that. after all they accepted his excuse and he was allowed to wrestle in Takhti Cup qualifiers

Ok, and last question, is that the famous, legendary, incredible, multiple time junior world champ, multiple wins over world champ Rashidov,  Iman Sadeghi at 65kg??

apparently Zare, Yazdani, Ghasempour and A. Firouzpour are going to wrestle in Kazakhstan. Zare was injured but apparently he will recover in time for the this event. still it's not a sure thing.

they will send a strong Greco team. all 2021 World medalists except Ali Geraei (a bit injured) and Hadi Saravi (can't cut for 97kg right now) we will see Yousefi. Dalkhani and R. Geraei in Kazakhstan.

24 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

apparently Zare, Yazdani, Ghasempour and A. Firouzpour are going to wrestle in Kazakhstan. Zare was injured but apparently he will recover in time for the this event. still it's not a sure thing.

they will send a strong Greco team. all 2021 World medalists except Ali Geraei (a bit injured) and Hadi Saravi (can't cut for 97kg right now) we will see Yousefi. Dalkhani and R. Geraei in Kazakhstan.

when is this event?

disappointing from Saravi my favourite GR wrestler. but will be good to see Yousefi and MR Geraei and obviously always good to see our "big 3" FS guys. What about 97kg?

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

when is this event?

disappointing from Saravi my favourite GR wrestler. but will be good to see Yousefi and MR Geraei and obviously always good to see our "big 3" FS guys. What about 97kg?

Firouzpour is apparently at 97 if you're talking about fs 

Zare should just go to the Pelicone. It's a ranking tournament on the 22nd June,  only like 3 weeks after the Kazakhstan tournament. Seems he's borderline ready, extra 3 weeks should make it all good. 

On 5/26/2022 at 7:17 AM, Shiraz123 said:

And Canada's current HW is possibly better than Taheri. Biabani is in Canada also. He seemed promising after junior world gold but achieved nothing in seniors. 

Dhesi, the current #1 Canadian heavyweight, is pretty good. He has a win over Gwizdowski and some other solid guys. 

13 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

Wanna bump this, anyone know?

Its usually just mix of guys who do well in that same years junior worlds and some general u23 wrestlers. To guess I would say Elahi will be on the junior and u23 teams at 74. Probably Firouzpour will go to U23 worlds again but at 97 this time. HW probably between little Masoumi, Foroutan, Akbarpour and Hashemi if he is still under 23. They don't have an official team yet though. 

Most GR weight classes will be competing in Kazakhstan today.

60kg and 130kg are especially interesting. At 60kg Nejati and Nasserpour will be competing, I favour Nejati and think he's good for a World medal most years. At 130kg we'll see both Mirzazadeh and Yousofi. I have a strong preference for Yousofi but Mirzazadeh is probably a slight favourite. 

Dalkhani moved up to 67kg and MR Geraei to 72kg.

Taheri gets another chance at 87kg along with Sharifi. Shame no Saravi at 97kg. 

FS starts this weekend. 

6 of Iranians made it to the final. interestingly both World Champions lost their semifinals!

Dalkhani made a mistake and injured himself in the last second of his SF match, apparently it's not a broken bone and he will recover in couple weeks.

but Yousefi lost to MIrzazadeh 2-2. he was dominating most of the match but made a mistake and gave up a pushout point. I have to say Mirzazadeh wrestled smart. Yousefi could win the match if he could use his brain. I don't think Mirzazadeh made the World team just by winning this one but he is one step ahead of Yousefi now. I believe they will wrestle again in another tournament.

As suspected, Nejati looked great and easily beat Nasserpour. He's a strong contender for a worlds medal but in those weight classes anything can happen and there are a lot of good guys. 

My second favourite GR wrestler (after Saravi) Yousofi destroyed number 1 seed Kajaia (Tokyo Silver medalist) 8-0 but unfortunately lost to Mirzazadeh in a close match 2*-2. That was annoying but I still think Yousofi is the better of the two (and he is 2 years younger). But both are young and probably only behind the big two at 130kg (or just Kayaalp now). 

Otherwise nothing interesting except Dalkhani's injury. MR Geraei should ease to gold tomorrow. 

Edited by The Genius

5 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Mirzazadeh loses the final to Turkey's #2. Yousofi would have won and remains Iran's best shot at (another) 130kg GR world gold medal IMO. 

It's close between the 2, not much in it. Yousefi has improved a lot and his Oslo performance has given him confidence. Mirzazadeh would have cemented number 1 status if he won the final but now it still is up in the air. H2H between the two I think Mirzazadeh has beat him every time. But I think with how things are now they will have to have a best of 3 for the World team spot. Mirzazadeh also looked like he may have been carrying an injury, but that is just my own assumption.

Tbh I feel if Riza and Lopez don't compete then whichever of the two go to Belgrade should be favourite for Gold 

2 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

It's close between the 2, not much in it. Yousefi has improved a lot and his Oslo performance has given him confidence. Mirzazadeh would have cemented number 1 status if he won the final but now it still is up in the air. H2H between the two I think Mirzazadeh has beat him every time. But I think with how things are now they will have to have a best of 3 for the World team spot. Mirzazadeh also looked like he may have been carrying an injury, but that is just my own assumption.

Tbh I feel if Riza and Lopez don't compete then whichever of the two go to Belgrade should be favourite for Gold 

Mirzazadeh just lost to Turkey's #2 how could he be favourite for gold? Yousofi is reigning world champion and I agree he would be favourite for gold without Riza or Lopez.

4 hours ago, window12 said:

Saw the 97Kg guy Fallah get pinned in the final by Turkey. Presumably he is way behind Saravi as a number 2?

Looking forward to FS matches

he is #3 behind Saravi and Bali. he lost the Takhti Cup final to Bali convincingly.

apparently he was told by the coach that if he wins the gold here he will be allowed to wrestle those 2 guys for the spot. he made a lot of noises last year when Bana picked up Saravi for the 2021 Worlds in Oslo claiming he is the best and he can beat Saravi