wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

7-10 in the first period lol. Crazy. Never seen Zare gut wrenched like that before. But Zare and this guy always have crazy matches. Looks like the Kazakh is tiring and Zare could complete the comeback. The first 2 minutes were very bad for Zare though, looked totally lost. 

they had the same match in u23 worlds, except that time if I remember right Zare had to at least push him around a bit before he gassed. This time he gassed from just turning Zare 3 times. That was kind of pathetic to be in that shape in a tournament in your own country, lol. 

5 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

they had the same match in u23 worlds, except that time if I remember right Zare had to at least push him around a bit before he gassed. This time he gassed from just turning Zare 3 times. That was kind of pathetic to be in that shape in a tournament in your own country, lol. 

At U23 worlds it got to 7-1 in the second period, this one felt a bit more dangerous lol. Why did the Kazakh challenge after he went 8-0 up? Maybe he was gassed already and looking for a break, but it looked like Zare was on the verge of losing by technical superiority for a second. Actually pretty similar to Zare-Geno I. 

Edited by The Genius

2 minutes ago, The Genius said:

At U23 worlds it got to 7-1 in the second period, this one felt a bit more dangerous lol. Why did the Kazakh challenge after he went 8-0 up? Maybe he was gassed already and looking for a break, but it looked like Zare was on the verge of losing by technical superiority for a second. 

He either thought he 4'd him with the first takedown or lost count of how many times he turned him. His coaches should be looking out for that and not let him challenge but either way it wouldn't make much difference, he was too tired after getting the 8 points. If wrestling mats were a bit bigger he would have teched Zare. 

That was overall a good day of wrestling for Zare against decent opposition only a few months out from worlds. I still back him to become the youngest ever 2x heavyweight World champion and (more speculatively) Iran's greatest ever heavyweight wrestler. 

If he could work on his gut wrench defence (not sure how) and add some takedowns to his game, he would be almost unstoppable against this current (international) HW field.  

I think Zare learned a lot from today, he won the gold but he could lose any of those 3 matches (different scenarios) that was a big big mistake to let him "rest" for 8 months after the Olympics. he is 21, he needs more mat time. he was average today probably because of that. also as we know he is coming off an injury

The way I see the Zare's final match is that despite carrying an injury, he made an epic come back scoring 14 unanswered points to win by technical superiority a heavy weight final of a ranking event by the phenomenal score of 21-10 at the age of 21. The stuff about if the mat was a bit smaller he would have lost, seems a bit off the mark in this context.

Yazdani and Ghasempour both tech their way into the finals. Yazdani looks good and beat Erdin and Dauletbekov and will wrestle Makojev in the final. 

Unfortunately at 92kg Deepak Punia withdrew with injury before the first match even started, which is annoying but typical of him. Has anyone withdrawn with injury more often in recent years than Punia? 

Edited by The Genius

Yazdani time!

7-0 Yazdani after the first period. Leg attacks looking good. He got sucked into a scramble near the end which he won but probably would have lost to DT. But he knows not to scramble with DT anyway. 

Yazdani closes the show within 30 seconds of the second period and wins 11-0, winning gold as expected. Nothing really new, but he looked sharp and his leg attacks were good.

Edited by The Genius

Why only 2 pts for Ghasempour putting the Kazakh flat on his back? They didn't give him time for a pin either but it seemed open.

Kazakh with a pointless challenge out of exhaustion in the first period, lol. 

Ghasempour 9-0 after the first period. Give him the gold medal already

Ghasempour closes the show early in the second period similarly to Yazdani, with a beautiful single leg attack, winning 11-0 and the gold (10-0, 10-0, 11-0, 11-0). 

We are in a golden age of Iranian wrestling with Yazdani, Ghasempour and Zare in FS and Geraei, Saravi and Yousofi in GR. Other guys like Sarlak, Nokhodi, Goleij, Dalkhani, Nejati, big Geraei, Mirzazadeh are all medal contenders too. Good team unity and coaching staff led by Dorostkar. The 2021-2024 cycle looks very promising. 

Edited by The Genius

On 6/3/2022 at 5:44 PM, window12 said:

It not possible. I hear the upcoming USA wrestler Zahid Valencia is going to mow down Yazdani and DT (it says so in another thread here and reading the thread folks seem very convinced). A bit of a shame really as both Yazdani and DT so far have had illustrious careers.

Nobody said that. I picked Zahid to beat Taylor at trials. Stop making stuff up. 

45 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Yazdani time!

7-0 Yazdani after the first period. Leg attacks looking good. He got sucked into a scramble near the end which he won but probably would have lost to DT. But he knows not to scramble with DT anyway. 

Yazdani closes the show within 30 seconds of the second period and wins 11-0, winning gold as expected. Nothing really new, but he looked sharp and his leg attacks were good.

If Taylor makes the world team, I think Yazdani will win again. 

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

If Taylor makes the world team, I think Yazdani will win again. 

I think Yazdani has the advantages in terms of momentum (he has a better game plan that he knows he can execute now to keep the matches more low-scoring which suits him) and age (he's 27 and DT is 31) but their matches are probably still going to turn on one moment and be extremely close. I also think the last few times Yazdani has had a harder route to the final and I would be interested in seeing DT face Naifonov again. 

I see it as 55/45 Yaz for 2022, 60/40 Yaz for 2023 and 65/35 for Paris. 33-34 year olds don't usually win Olympic gold, but anything is possible.  

26 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Nobody said that. I picked Zahid to beat Taylor at trials. Stop making stuff up. 

You didnt?- Oh sorry. Perhaps someone  should have said it  then. He definitely has potential :)

30 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

On a slightly separate trajectory - Do you know what this this issue was with Deepak Punia in Kazakhstan? He took the first match as forfeited by his opponent and then forfeited the second match himself. So he went all the way there but did not take part in anything. If he was fit for the first match why was he not fit for the second? 

He is a cunning as a fox so no doubt there was a reason- but I could not work out the rationale for that...

2 minutes ago, window12 said:

On a slightly separate trajectory - Do you know what this this issue was with Deepak Punia in Kazakhstan? He took the first match as forfeited by his opponent and then forfeited the second match himself. So he went all the way there but did not take part in anything. If he was fit for the first match why was he not fit for the second? 

He is a cunning as a fox so no doubt there was a reason- but I could not work out the rationale for that...

Punia forfeited both matches

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

I think Yazdani has the advantages in terms of momentum (he has a better game plan that he knows he can execute now to keep the matches more low-scoring which suits him) and age (he's 27 and DT is 31) but their matches are probably still going to turn on one moment and be extremely close. I also think the last few times Yazdani has had a harder route to the final and I would be interested in seeing DT face Naifonov again. 

I see it as 55/45 Yaz for 2022, 60/40 Yaz for 2023 and 65/35 for Paris. 33-34 year olds don't usually win Olympic gold, but anything is possible.  

Makes sense to me. 

Russia won’t be at worlds, so I expect whoever the American is and Yazdani to dominate anyone else. 

i also think Kurugliev is more dangerous for Taylor, but he can’t seem to beat Naifanov 

25 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Makes sense to me. 

Russia won’t be at worlds, so I expect whoever the American is and Yazdani to dominate anyone else. 

i also think Kurugliev is more dangerous for Taylor, but he can’t seem to beat Naifanov 

I actually forgot that Russia won't be at worlds. That levels the playing field a bit for Yaz and DT and sets them up to have an easy first day before their final show down. 

Agreed, but Naifonov has been improving and he's only 24. I'd like to see DT face Naifonov again, last time Naifonov had some early success against DT and Yaz hasn't run through him the last two times. But not a concern for this year. 

Armenia is there too with full squad to make it a bit more than just a local competition. there is a team from Georgia too but I can't recognize them

apparently Amouzad and Emami are already selected so the competition doesn't mean much at 65kg and 74kg.

this is most important for 61kg and 70kg where nobody has an advantage. Sarlak, Goleij and Nokhodi can lose here and still have a chance but of course winning the Takhti Cup will put them in a much better situation.

I think Karimi and Goelij should win easily. other weights aren't that easy to predict