wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

12 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Missed it, what happened?

Masoumi was controlling the match/moving Hashemi around a bit but nothing too bad. He was 2 - 0 up off a pushout and shotclock point. Then in second period Hashemi complains about something, stops wrestling even though no whistle was blown and starts turning to ref to complain so Masoumi just shoots and gets a takedown. They go back to the centre of the mat and the ref blows his whistle to begin wrestling again and Hashemi turns around to start complaining again, and Masoumi does the exact same thing and takes him down again, lol. Then Hashemi got mad and left. Match over and Masoumi wins by disqualification.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CeoJ9rgjc1C/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edited by Shiraz123

5 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Masoumi was controlling the match/moving Hashemi around a bit but nothing too bad. He was 2 - 0 up off a pushout and shotclock point. Then in second period Hashemi complains about something, stops wrestling even though no whistle was blown and starts turning to ref to complain so Masoumi just shoots and gets a takedown. They go back to the centre of the mat and the ref blows his whistle to begin wrestling again and Hashemi turns around to start complaining again, and Masoumi does the exact same thing and takes him down again, lol. Then Hashemi got mad and left. Match over and Masoumi wins by disqualification.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CeoJ9rgjc1C/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

thank you, that is both immensely hilarious and embarrassing lol

IWF announced the rest of trial process

the final round of trials will be held on 10 July in Tehran but in two weights (57 and 79) they will send both candidates to Tunisia Ranking Series competition. (14-17 July)

they didn't mention a name but based on their announcement there will be no more trial at 65, 70 and 74 which means Rahman Amouzad, Amir Mohammad Yazdani and Younes Emami are already selected

They also added Mohsen Mostafavi to the list (who was injured at the time of Takthi Cup) so Karimi has to beat him first before facing Yazdani. only in this weight there will be 2kg allowance.

they made a small change, no advantage for Goleij vs Mohammadian, it will be best of 3 from the start (just a mistake by IWF) but on the other hand Atri will have this advantage over HazratG. if he wins the first match that will be enough

short summary

57: Sarlak vs MohammadnejadJavan ==> Tunisia
61: Atri vs Hazratgholizadeh
79: Nokhodi vs Savadkouhi ==> Tunisia
86: Yazdani vs the winner of Karimi/Mostafavi
92: Ghasempour vs the winner of Hajiloueian/Firouzpour
97: Goleij vs Mohammadian
125: Zare vs the winner of Mohebbi/Masoumi

those in bold will have the advantage, they just need to win the first match (but if they lose, they need to win next 2 matches)

Edited by wrestfan

6 hours ago, wrestfan said:

IWF announced the rest of trial process

the final round of trials will be held on 10 July in Tehran but in two weights (57 and 79) they will send both candidates to Tunisia Ranking Series competition. (14-17 July)

they didn't mention a name but based on their announcement there will be no more trial at 65, 70 and 74 which means Rahman Amouzad, Amir Mohammad Yazdani and Younes Emami are already selected

They also added Mohsen Mostafavi to the list (who was injured at the time of Takthi Cup) so Karimi has to beat him first before facing Yazdani. only in this weight there will be 2kg allowance.

they made a small change, no advantage for Goleij vs Mohammadian, it will be best of 3 from the start but on the other hand Atri will have this advantage over HazratG. if he wins the first match that will be enough

short summary

57: Sarlak vs MohammadnejadJavan ==> Tunisia
61: Atri vs Hazratgholizadeh
79: Nokhodi vs Savadkouhi ==> Tunisia
86: Yazdani vs the winner of Karimi/Mostafavi
92: Ghasempour vs the winner of Hajiloueian/Firouzpour
97: Goleij vs Mohammadian
125: Zare vs the winner of Mohebbi/Masoumi

those in bold will have the advantage, they just need to win the first match (but if they lose, they need to win next 2 matches)

Good call to make Goleij and Mohammadian a 2 outta 3. It deserves it.

Do the guys that need to face someone to have the right to face the likes of Ghasempour and Yazdani wrestle on the 10th as well? Eg. Karimi and Mostafavi?

On 6/12/2022 at 2:11 PM, wrestfan said:

they made a small change, no advantage for Goleij vs Mohammadian, it will be best of 3 from the start

apparently it was just a mistake. IWF fixed that, Goleij will have that advantage

8 hours ago, 2td3nf said:

Jon, hopefully you stumble across this post. Excellent preview on Iran's freestyle team. Loved it.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/7835248-early-preview-and-predictions-for-irans-2022-world-team

Interesting article. The USA team top spot  is expected to be achieved in the context of HYC and Zare coming second for Iran although either one at least or both  seem capable of pulling an ‘upset’ and winning gold.

It is reasonably questionable  why at least one of them is not favoured for the gold since they are the current reigning Champions. 

Edited by window12
Typo

3 hours ago, window12 said:

Interesting article. The USA team top spot  is expected to be achieved in the context of HYC and Zare coming second for Iran although either one at least or both  seem capable of pulling an ‘upset’ and winning gold.

It is reasonably questionable  why at least one of them is not favoured for the gold since they are the current reigning Champions. 

The article is a good one.

I think Hassan is the slight favourite for Gold, from an American perspective I can see why some may still favour Taylor, every match has been close, he is 3-1 down to Taylor in the series. They went 1-1 in space of 6 weeks last year. I think Hassan is the slight favourite though with momentum, age and him having the last one on his side and breaking the curse so to speak. Nothing in the 4 matches shows Taylor has an answer for the underhook either and seems to rely on coming from behind in the 2nd period, risky strategy now Hassan seems to have figured it out. The problem for the team title is that some of the favourites for Gold like Kamran and Hassan have close tough fights for Gold that may slip up, whilst I would argue guys like Burroughs and Dake are much more solid in their probability in the sense they don't have a huge rival, Burroughs has Iran which could definitely pull an upset but it would be an upset, and Dake doesn't have to deal with Russia or Belarus. 

I think the writer is basing Zare silver based on his rusty/injured performance in Almaty. Which is fair, but if the Zare that shows in Oslo will be in Belgrade then he will win Gold imo, but we don't know that yet.

Overall I agree USA would be favourites for Team title, but it will be close.

Good article detailing the process and matchups. I will pick Yazdani as he closes the gap each time (match - 1 lost & pinned, match 2 lost 11  - 6, match 3 lost 4 - 3, match 4 won 6 - 2) and the recent rule changes are more favourable to him and the way he likes to wrestle than they are to Taylor. I think Taylor has got better at dealing with the underhook. First match Yazdani was pretty much walking him out the mat at will before he gassed. But Yazdani will still almost certainly control most of the match with his hand fighting and forward pressure. Taylor is very slick  and will likely  get to Yazdani's legs at least a couple times and for the most part is able to finish from there. So i'll pick Yazdani but wouldn't be too surprised if he moves Taylor about a bunch but isn't able to actually score enough to counter the moments Taylor gets to his legs. Just find it a bit less likely than Yazdani winning considering the way they are both adjusting to the matchup, the rule changes that benefit Yaz, and the age difference. Definitely full credit to Taylor if he can beat Yaz despite that.

Also liked the pick of Yazdani winning gold at 70. I can see he is probably the favourite at this point considering his wins but for some reason I would still be quiet surprised to see him actually win it. Hopefully he does, though. He is generally very entertaining to watch. For some reason it feels weird to consider him the gold medal favourite, lol. 

I can understand based on a recent injury just as it was stated with Zare in why they aren’t predicting he’ll win Gold. I say if he recovers which there’s 3 months to go, he will be a Gold Medal Favorite. It’ll be something else in case he’s injured. As H.Yazdani kept getting better every match he’s faced Taylor. I agree he’s benefiting and has better strategies every time they meet. Plus with the new rules, it’ll serve as more advantage to him (Yazdani). As they predicted Sarlak to not place, I don’t agree with that. Of course Gilman and Kumar are the top two favorites. I don’t know if Yuki Takahashi (Japan) still competes or not. In case Takahashi does, then Gilman, Kumar, Takahashi will be the top 3. Without Russia and Belarus, I can’t see Sarlak placing less than Bronze. I see very much the entire team to potentially win a Medal except 74kg. Emami may of had success at 70kg in the past but has struggled at 74kg. The top Medal favorites at 74kg on paper would be Dake, Chamizo, Salkazanov, Kentchadze. But again it can depend on the draw as well.

Edited by Seena

Thanks for reading the article friends.

For the predictions at 86 at 125, right now I think Taylor will defeat Yazdani and Petriashvili will take out Zare. Currently, Petriashvili and Zare are set to be on the same side of the bracket so I should have predicted bronze for Zare.

Yazdani and Taylor will almost assuredly come down to 1 exchange. About as close to a coin toss match as you can make. I think Yazdani has used better match strategy in their most recent two matches but don't believe he's pulling away from Taylor to a point where he's considered the clear favorite. 

And Zare did not look great in his most recent matches in Kazakhstan - Boltin and Batirmurzaev are not close to the best guys in the world and they both almost defeated him. I may change my prediction after Zare wrestles Mohebbi/Masoumi. 

1 hour ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Yazdani and Taylor will almost assuredly come down to 1 exchange. About as close to a coin toss match as you can make. I think Yazdani has used better match strategy in their most recent two matches but don't believe he's pulling away from Taylor to a point where he's considered the clear favorite. 

Yaz is not the "clear favourite", sure. But why does that make Taylor the favourite? 

57kg - will be tougher this year, so DNP for Sarlak is reasonable, but I think he can win Bronze.

61kg - Bronze for Atri is fair, that's probably his ceiling and the weight should be weak enough for him to do it. 

65kg - Silver for Amouzad is very optimistic, IMO. 65kg is very deep. I think DNP with a small chance at Bronze. 

70kg - Gold for A. Yazdani is too optimistic. There are plenty of guys that could beat him and a lot of things have to go right for him to win Silver. I think Bronze/Silver depending on draw. 

74kg - Emami DNP is fair. But I like Emami and think he has a (small) shot at Bronze.

79kg - Savadkouhi/Nokhodi Bronze is fair. Silver with a good bracket.

86kg - Yazdani Silver is American bias. He has the momentum in results and age and rule changes in his favour. Yazdani will win Gold, 55/45 (being conservative).

92kg - Ghasempour as a slight favourite to win Gold is correct. Cox hasn't looked great recently and Ghasempour has had more time to grow into 92kg. 

97kg - Mohammadian Bronze is a fair prediction (Silver depending on bracket). I think both are bad match-ups for Snyder but question whether we will ever see 2020 Mohammadian again.

125kg - As the leader of the Zare fan club I have to say that you're nuts for predicting Silver for Zare. He's recovering from an injury and hadn't wrestled since Tokyo. He's young and will get back into shape quickly. Zare is Iran's clearest and biggest favourite for Gold.

Best case scenario: 4 gold (Yaz, Ghasempour, Goleij/Mohammadian, Zare), 2 silver (A. Yazdani, Savadkouhi/Nokhodi) and 2 bronze (Sarlak, Atri).

Edited by The Genius

2 hours ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Thanks for reading the article friends.

For the predictions at 86 at 125, right now I think Taylor will defeat Yazdani and Petriashvili will take out Zare. Currently, Petriashvili and Zare are set to be on the same side of the bracket so I should have predicted bronze for Zare.

And Zare did not look great in his most recent matches in Kazakhstan - Boltin and Batirmurzaev are not close to the best guys in the world and they both almost defeated him. I may change my prediction after Zare wrestles Mohebbi/Masoumi. 

@Jon_Kozak I really enjoyed reading your article.  While I do not agree with everyone of your predictions, You clear have deep knowledge of Iran wrestling.

I hope you will visit this thread from time to time and contribute.  I would love to benefit from your insight.

11 hours ago, The Genius said:

How did you predict Taylor to beat Yazdani but give Iran 25 pts at 86kg?  @Jon_Kozak861977561_Screenshot2022-06-17at17_44_13.thumb.png.343f02b245dc804da232c5fa35ec2603.png

I noticed that too - also Flo predicted a silver for Zare but gave Iran 25 pts at 125kg.   Revising their scoring based on those 2 errors their projected scores should be USA -  179 Iran - 158

now we have some information about the Greco trials ! (our Greco coach simply doesn't believe in direct trials but looks like Dabir and Sourian somehow made him changing his mind)

they said they will decide about other 8 weights after the Pellicone Tournament in Italy but in 2 weights now we have a clear idea . there will be direct trials on 60kg and 130kg on 10 July with 2kg allowance

60kg: Mehdi Mohsennejad vs Alireza Nejati
130kg: Amin Mirzazadeh vs Ali Akbar Yousefi

Mohsennejad and Mirzazdaeh need just 1 win to make the world team while Nejati and Yousefi have to win twice. Mohsennejad beat Nejati in Takhti Cup final and Mirzazadeh beat Yousefi in Kazakhstan recently. those results are counted too, that's why these guys need just one win.

14 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I noticed that too - also Flo predicted a silver for Zare but gave Iran 25 pts at 125kg.   Revising their scoring based on those 2 errors their projected scores should be USA -  179 Iran - 158

well spotted

8 hours ago, wrestfan said:

now we have some information about the Greco trials ! (our Greco coach simply doesn't believe in direct trials but looks like Dabir and Sourian somehow made him changing his mind)

they said they will decide about other 8 weights after the Pellicone Tournament in Italy but in 2 weights now we have a clear idea . there will be direct trials on 60kg and 130kg on 10 July with 2kg allowance

60kg: Mehdi Mohsennejad vs Alireza Nejati
130kg: Amin Mirzazadeh vs Ali Akbar Yousefi

Mohsennejad and Mirzazdaeh need just 1 win to make the world team while Nejati and Yousefi have to win twice. Mohsennejad beat Nejati in Takhti Cup final and Mirzazadeh beat Yousefi in Kazakhstan recently. those results are counted too, that's why these guys need just one win.

do we know the Iran team to MP? from what I read there are not many good Iranian GR wrestlers going there. 

Shame about Mirzazadeh. He will probably win and get bronze. Yousefi as the reigning world champion should get the advantage. 

15 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Sorry for the confusion - the scoring and prediction are two different things.

The scoring is based on World Championship Rankings - head to head wins and losses. https://www.flowrestling.org/rankings/7698171-2022-world-championship-rankings-mens-freestyle/41996-team-united-states-of-america

In those - Yazdani is ranked first based on his most recent win over Taylor and Zare is also ranked first as the defending world champ.

However, my predictions vary from my rankings. 

Hope that clears things up - I thought I made that note in the article but apparently didn't do it well enough.

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

do we know the Iran team to MP? from what I read there are not many good Iranian GR wrestlers going there. 

Shame about Mirzazadeh. He will probably win and get bronze. Yousefi as the reigning world champion should get the advantage. 

I'm not a fan of the advantage usually. In this case it should be 2 outta 3 regardless imo, no advantage either way. Same with Goleij and Mohammadian too.

Yousefi has a great chance of winning-and I thought you thought he would next time they face off. It's close. I think Mirzazadeh should he considered the fave though.