wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

2 hours ago, The Genius said:

do we know the Iran team to MP? from what I read there are not many good Iranian GR wrestlers going there. 

Shame about Mirzazadeh. He will probably win and get bronze. Yousefi as the reigning world champion should get the advantage. 

Yes sure.
https://uww.org/article/matteo-pellicone-ranking-series-entries

not our top guys. so I assume this is last chance tournament for these guys. Iran is not testing anybody new at 72kg so I assume Mokhtari is already selected. probably the only weight which is decided already.

Cadet Asians in freestyle - 2 of them missed weight and a 4th place team finish with only 1 gold which was at 110kg. Seems like a much weaker team this year if these are the same guys going to worlds next month. India won the team title and they won it at worlds last year also. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Jahangiri at GR 110kg... Won gold at U17 Asian championships, looked very impressive. Hope to see more of him. 

Lofti won gold at heavyweight in FS too, why are all our good prospects >100kg these days? We already have good young wrestlers there, I guess it's a good problem to have but I would rather the talent was distributed across more weight classes 

21 hours ago, The Genius said:

Jahangiri at GR 110kg... Won gold at U17 Asian championships, looked very impressive. Hope to see more of him. 

Lofti won gold at heavyweight in FS too, why are all our good prospects >100kg these days? We already have good young wrestlers there, I guess it's a good problem to have but I would rather the talent was distributed across more weight classes 

Prob mix between coincidence, HW generally being weaker (esp in age group divisions) and Iranians probably have more people around that size in general population compared to other Asian countries. Funnily enough HW is probably our worst and least successful weight in history. Grand total of world golds at HW for Iran is 2. Obivously Zare just got 1  recently and the other is from Soleimani some time in the 80s. Add Ghasemi's  shared Olympic gold ( @wrestfan did they ever end up giving him the medal?) and brings us to grand total of 3. 

4 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Prob mix between coincidence, HW generally being weaker (esp in age group divisions) and Iranians probably have more people around that size in general population compared to other Asian countries. Funnily enough HW is probably our worst and least successful weight in history. Grand total of world golds at HW for Iran is 2. Obivously Zare just got 1  recently and the other is from Soleimani some time in the 80s. Add Ghasemi's  shared Olympic gold ( @wrestfan did they ever end up giving him the medal?) and brings us to grand total of 3. 

I believe he was contacted about this. they asked him how he wants to receive his medal but no idea what happened after that. but IOC/uWW officially consider him the Olympic Champion.

5 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Yup. He got it.

Some recent clips of Ghassempour on instagram seems to show him being filled out a bit more compared to Oslo.  Looks like he is putting on more weight . I just wonder how he compares height wise with the likes of Sadulaev and Snyder say for Paris 2024…. 

2 hours ago, window12 said:

Some recent clips of Ghassempour on instagram seems to show him being filled out a bit more compared to Oslo.  Looks like he is putting on more weight . I just wonder how he compares height wise with the likes of Sadulaev and Snyder say for Paris 2024…. 

Slightly taller than Sadulaev, and maybe ever so slightly than Snyder too.

But those guys are "bigger". Kyle weighs over 100kg, Sad is around 97-98. In Oslo Kamran weighed in at 88-89. He never walked around more than that. 

The thought must be crossing his mind for Paris. If he can actually put on enough mass. But we are talking around 8kg here, and not of fat...

I don't think he can put on enough muscle to be as big as those guys, but he might sacrifice the weight disadvantage if he feels he has a better shot to make 97kg at the Olympics. He will know how he does against Mohammadian and Goleij in camp. But it's unfortunate that the 2nd best talent in Iran's team has this dilemma for Olympic weights.

1 hour ago, Uwwdoc said:

But those guys are "bigger". Kyle weighs over 100kg, Sad is around 97-98. In Oslo Kamran weighed in at 88-89. He never walked around more than that. 

The thought must be crossing his mind for Paris. If he can actually put on enough mass. But we are talking around 8kg here, and not of fat...

I don't think he can put on enough muscle to be as big as those guys, but he might sacrifice the weight disadvantage if he feels he has a better shot to make 97kg at the Olympics. He will know how he does against Mohammadian and Goleij in camp. But it's unfortunate that the 2nd best talent in Iran's team has this dilemma for Olympic weights.

Yes - it would be a natural thought for him to look at 97 kg for Paris. He does seem to have put on some muscle since then and with his style of leg attacks, sacrificing a little bit of weight for the speed may give a bit of an edge. 97 kg for Paris still has some notable guys such as Golij and Mohammadian as you say and perhaps some of the upcoming younger guys like Firouzpour and Hajilouian potentially thrown into the mix. Time will tell I guess but seems an interesting area to watch …

Edited by window12

32 minutes ago, window12 said:

Yes - it would be a natural thought for him to look at 97 kg for Paris. He does seem to have put on some muscle since then and with his style of leg attacks, sacrificing a little bit of weight for the speed may give a bit of an edge. 97 kg for Paris still has some notable guys such as Golij and Mohammadian as you say and perhaps some of the upcoming younger guys like Firouzpour and Hajilouian potentially thrown into the mix. Time will tell I guess but seems an interesting area to watch …

It is a tough decision for him. He is a 86kg wrestler naturally. Even at 92kg he is wrestling at a size disadvantage. 97kg is a big jump.

But he has Yazdani at 86kg, and it just doesn't seem he can beat him. As I said only he will know best if he thinks he has a better shot at being an Olympian by going to 97k rather than facing Yaz again.

1 hour ago, Uwwdoc said:

It is a tough decision for him. He is a 86kg wrestler naturally. Even at 92kg he is wrestling at a size disadvantage. 97kg is a big jump.

But he has Yazdani at 86kg, and it just doesn't seem he can beat him. As I said only he will know best if he thinks he has a better shot at being an Olympian by going to 97k rather than facing Yaz again.

Yes either way for him to be an Olympian is tough. I’m sure time will tell what will happen. 

5 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

At this rate, I am not sure if Sadulaev will be at the Olympics or not.

I think Ghassempour decision is based on his assessment of whether he has a better chance of beating Yazdani, or Mohammadian/Goleji

He should worry about his international opponents if and only if he can first make the olympics.  

In 86, I would argue there is only one guy (DT) outside of Iran who has a shot against Ghassempour

In 97, depending on The Russia situation, there may be 3-4 guys who have a shot against him

If Ghassempour can somehow make the Olympics team at either 86 or 97, I would pick him to medal

1 hour ago, irani said:

In 97, depending on The Russia situation, there may be 3-4 guys who have a shot against him

As he is an Iranian he no doubt is worried a lot more about Odikadze than Sadulaev or Snyder ;)

1 hour ago, irani said:

At this rate, I am not sure if Sadulaev will be at the Olympics or not.

I think Ghassempour decision is based on his assessment of whether he has a better chance of beating Yazdani, or Mohammadian/Goleji

He should worry about his international opponents if and only if he can first make the olympics.  

In 86, I would argue there is only one guy (DT) outside of Iran who has a shot against Ghassempour

If Ghassempour can somehow make the Olympics team at either 86 or 97, I would pick him to medal

I agree. That's what I was mentioning before about how he will see he fares against his 97kg countrymen.

But giving up around 8kg at that level is daunting task no matter how good you are.

So as a bit of an opinion poll or whatever you want to call it,

if Ghassempour goes for 86kg do we want him to be the rep for Iran or Yazdani?

On the other hand and for the sake of the argument if he chooses to give 97kg a try despite the weight disadvantage- do we want him to be the rep for Iran over the likes of Gloeij , Mohamadian or the new guys coming up?

1 minute ago, window12 said:

On the other hand and for the sake of the argument if he chooses to give 97kg a try despite the weight disadvantage- do we want him to be the rep for Iran over the likes of Gloeij , Mohamadian or the new guys coming up?

So my answer below is based on my heart, not based on what I think will necessarily be the best outcome

1. I definitely want Yazdani to be the rep in 86.  He has a chance to be the first Iranian wrestler to ever get two Olympics golds (it has already been done in weightlifting and Tae Kwan do)

2. I want Ghassempour to be the 97 rep.  He deserves to be in the Olympics.  

3 minutes ago, irani said:

So my answer below is based on my heart, not based on what I think will necessarily be the best outcome

1. I definitely want Yazdani to be the rep in 86.  He has a chance to be the first Iranian wrestler to ever get two Olympics golds (it has already been done in weightlifting and Tae Kwan do)

2. I want Ghassempour to be the 97 rep.  He deserves to be in the Olympics.  

Great minds think a like. That would have been my answer too.

The reason why I thought he could be going up a weight is the clip below. He seems bigger than what he looked at Oslo and looks not too dissimilar to Sadulaev in the upper body 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CfOcC-TAtCw/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

19 minutes ago, window12 said:

Whoever wins the trial matches would be my answer.

8 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

BTW, based on what I found on the internet, if you can rely on that information, @Uwwdocis correct once again

Sadulaev height is 5' 9" 175 cm Abdulrashid Bulachevich Sadulaev Net Worth, Age, Height, Weight, Bio & Wiki- Celebnetworth.net

Snyder is 5'11" 180 cm Kyle Snyder Biography, Age, Height, Wife, Net Worth, Family (celebsagewiki.com)

Ghassempour is 6' 183 cm Kamran Ghasempour - Wikipedia

20 minutes ago, irani said:

BTW, based on what I found on the internet, if you can rely on that information, @Uwwdocis correct once again

Sadulaev height is 5' 9" 175 cm Abdulrashid Bulachevich Sadulaev Net Worth, Age, Height, Weight, Bio & Wiki- Celebnetworth.net

Snyder is 5'11" 180 cm Kyle Snyder Biography, Age, Height, Wife, Net Worth, Family (celebsagewiki.com)

Ghassempour is 6' 183 cm Kamran Ghasempour - Wikipedia

Yeah, my info is based on having done medical exams on all 3 and them standing a few inches infront of me.

I didn't measure their heights or anything but I would have said Sad is around 5' 8". Snyder. 5' 9.5". And Kamran 5'11". Think wiki has added an inch to each, or maybe that was with shoes on haha.

3 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Yeah, my info is based on having done medical exams on all 3 and them standing a few inches infront of me.

I didn't measure their heights or anything but I would have said Sad is around 5' 8". Snyder. 5' 9.5". And Kamran 5'11". Think wiki has added an inch to each, or maybe that was with shoes on haha.

I am guessing that the heights are based on self reporting.  When it comes us men, height is the second measurement we like to exaggerate :)

3 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

Whoever wins the trial matches would be my answer.

We all accept the outcome of the trials at the time but presumably as fans we also have folks we favour etc. but I guess you are right we do want the best man to win.

As far as speculation goes though it will be fun to see Ghassempour and Yazdani both in Paris.

97kg is stacked for Iran, probably the best for depth in talent: Mohammadian, Goleij, Shabani. Then you have these young up and comers like Firouzpour. 

Kamran has to go into this shark tank at a weight disadvantage, or face Yazdani, arguably the no2 p4p wrestler in the world and Iran's star who has controlled Kamran in all their previous matches. Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place.

I have a feeling he might try the jump to the 97kg division, but we will see next year.

Edited by Uwwdoc