wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

53 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

MH Mohammadian beat Goleij 4-1. so it will best of 3

Goleij was about to win the match 1-1 on cautions but Mohammadian scored a clever takedown

Yes Mohammadian deserved the wins. Goleij game was disappointing as he did not try anything.

Yazadani did theYazdani thing and beat Karimi 10-0 and then got mobbed- I hope he did not get hurt in the stampede afterwards 

7 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Mohammadian also wins the 2nd match 4-2

so Atri 61, Yazdani 86, Ghasempour 92, Mohammadian 97 and Zare 125 made the team today and join Amouzad 65, A. Yazdani 70 and Emami 74

57 and 79 will be decided in Tunisia

Solid team. Iran has a great chance at winning the world championships this year

9 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Mohammadian also wins the 2nd match 4-2

so Atri 61, Yazdani 86, Ghasempour 92, Mohammadian 97 and Zare 125 made the team today and join Amouzad 65, A. Yazdani 70 and Emami 74

57 and 79 will be decided in Tunisia

how can i watch the matches?

shame about Yousofi, he just can't get any luck against Mirzazadeh 

13 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

thanks for posting these. impressive production values and very solid crowd. do you know where it took place?

that's Azadi 12,000-seat hall in Azadi Sports Complex, couple kilometers out of Tehran (in wikipedia there is a page for this stadium calling it Azadi Indoor Stadium but that's not the official name) the same stadium hosted World Freestyle Championships in 1998 and 2002.

yes we knew it will be sold out but without police and with only couple of security guys, it could be a disastrous day.  this is what happened after Yazdani's match. one guy jumped on the mat and hugged Yazdani and after few seconds hundreds of people joined him! (when they noticed there is nobody to stop them)

later these guys broke in to the warm up room to take pics with Ghasempour, Zare etc. fortunately everybody is safe and nothing bad happened but that was terrible organizing ! looks like after having lots of competition without spectators (because of COVID) they simply forgot to do routine security procedures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o20ilZz9CJo

Edited by wrestfan

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

I found few things on youtube

Thank you. Masoumi looks really good and big for a 18 year old. Interestingly yet again his opponent got distracted with complaining to the referee and he capitalised! He has quite a dirty style but he could be a big problem at heavyweight in a few years

This year Iran will have a second team for the "Islamic Solidarity Games" in Turkey, that may sound easy but with Turkey, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan and maybe Kazakhstan the level won't be that bad. I remember even Yazdani went to this event 5 years ago and won a gold medal.

apparently there will be trials in next few days in 4 weights (61, 65, 70 and 92) and we will have the freestyle team soon but they just announced the Greco team today which also confirms the unofficial team announced for the Worlds in Serbia

ISG Games team
55, Mohammad Hosseinvand
61, Omid Arami
63, Shirzad Beheshti
67, Mohamamd Javad Rezaei
72, Mohammad Reza Rostami
77, Amin Kavianinejad
82, Rasoul Garmsiri
87, Ramin Taheri
97, Mehdi Bali
130, Ali Akbar Yousefi

which means the 2022 World team is
55, Pouya Dadmarz
61, Mehdi Mohsennejad
63, Alireza Nejati
67, Mohammad Reza Geraei
72, Mohammad Reza Mokhtari
77, Mohammad Ali Geraei
82, Pejman Poshtam
87, Nasser Alizadeh
97, Mohammad Hadi Saravi
130, Amin Mirzazadeh

Iran won 4 gold medals last year but 2 of the gold medalists won't be in Serbia, Dalkhani got injured in Kazakhstan and had a surgery on his hand, and Yousefi lost the trials to Mirzazadeh. with those 2 Iran was the clear favorite for the team title but now it's just harder to achieve

Edited by wrestfan

50 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

ISG Games team

55, Mohammad Hosseinvand
61, Omid Arami
63, Shirzad Beheshti
67, Mohamamd Javad Rezaei
72, Mohammad Reza Rostami
77, Amin Kavianinejad
82, Rasoul Garmsiri
87, Ramin Taheri
97, Mehdi Bali
130, Ali Akbar Yousefi

That's not a terrible team. Should at least do well in the heavy weights. Are Azerbaijan and Turkey going to be sending their second level guys too? Azerbaijan main team would definitely beat our guys in most of the weights.

Also missing Dalkhani and Yousefi in the world team isn't that bad imo. Dalkhani's gold medal just didn't feel sustainable. It's Greco so it's really hard to repeat a good tournament and Mohsenejad is a decent replacement for now. And I would've liked to see Yousefi in the worlds too but if you're 0-3 against a guy then you simply didn't earn the spot. Hopefully that changes by the Olympics.

Thanks for posting those matches - that was some great wrestling - Iran will have a really good FS team as will the USA - I am looking forward to the team competition at the World Championships.

3 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Thanks for posting those matches - that was some great wrestling - Iran will have a really good FS team as will the USA - I am looking forward to the team competition at the World Championships.

I don't think the team competition will be close, USA will run away with it

46 minutes ago, The Genius said:

I don't think the team competition will be close, USA will run away with it

Well I certainly hope you are right and no doubt the USA has a loaded team.  However Iran has at least 5 guys with a strong shot at Gold -  70, 86,92.97 & 125 - if some of their other guys  can come through with medals or place points they could be right there with the US.    I would say the US has 6 guys who could take gold with 4 who have yet to prove themselves at Worlds.  57, 74, 79, 86, 92 & 97 are all contenders to win.  61, 65, 70, & 125 all have to show that they can compete and win at this level.  I think it will be a close team race that will ultimately be decided by how many points are scored by the lesser credentialed guys from each team.

5 hours ago, Amir.Sol said:

That's not a terrible team. Should at least do well in the heavy weights. Are Azerbaijan and Turkey going to be sending their second level guys too? Azerbaijan main team would definitely beat our guys in most of the weights.

it's hard to say, the event is just one month before the Worlds. too risky to use the main guys. but I won't be surprised if Turkey uses ts top level guys. hosts usually take events like this more serious.

I would LOVE to see a Yousefi/Kayaalp match.

5 hours ago, wrestfan said:

it's hard to say, the event is just one month before the Worlds. too risky to use the main guys. but I won't be surprised if Turkey uses ts top level guys. hosts usually take events like this more serious.

I would LOVE to see a Yousefi/Kayaalp match.

That would be a really interesting match. If Yousefi can win against him and Mirzazadeh loses in the worlds then there might be a serious discussion of ignoring Yousefi's record against him and just making him the main guy.

6 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Well I certainly hope you are right and no doubt the USA has a loaded team.  However Iran has at least 5 guys with a strong shot at Gold -  70, 86,92.97 & 125 - if some of their other guys  can come through with medals or place points they could be right there with the US.    I would say the US has 6 guys who could take gold with 4 who have yet to prove themselves at Worlds.  57, 74, 79, 86, 92 & 97 are all contenders to win.  61, 65, 70, & 125 all have to show that they can compete and win at this level.  I think it will be a close team race that will ultimately be decided by how many points are scored by the lesser credentialed guys from each team.

I agree with that. For Iran to do well Amouzad, Emami and Atri should perform well and above expectations which whilst possible is by no means a certainty. So it will be USA title unless the less favoured Iran wrestlers can get a result.

14 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Iran isn't a strong favourite in any weight (I would say only 125kg) whereas the US is a strong favourite in multiple weights. For Iran to even compete with the US, too many things have to go Iran's way. 2021 was a fantastic tournament for Iran but that was probably the peak, and that team came third in the team title.