wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Tunisia tourney brackets are up

interestingly both Sarlak/AMJ and Savadkouhi/Nokhodi are in the same group. so they will wrestle at least once for sure. there is a chance for a rematch.

Sarlak and AMJ has to deal with a guy from India (not Ravi) to qualify and meet either Gilman or Lehr (World Bronze Germany) in the SF
Nokhodi and Savadkouhi are in the same group with US #2 (the guy who beat Burroughs once even though controversially) and European Champion from Greece.

I believe coaches are happy with the draw. there will be no question left after Sunday.

but 74kg bracket is a joke, Emami only has to wrestle a guy from Brazil and someone form India. what a waste.

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Tunisia tourney brackets are up

interestingly both Sarlak/AMJ and Savadkouhi/Nokhodi are in the same group. so they will wrestle at least once for sure. there is a chance for a rematch.

Sarlak and AMJ has to deal with a guy from India (not Ravi) to qualify and meet either Gilman or Lehr (World Bronze Germany) in the SF
Nokhodi and Savadkouhi are in the same group with US #2 (the guy who beat Burroughs once even though controversially) and European Champion from Greece.

I believe coaches are happy with the draw. there will be no question left after Sunday.

but 74kg bracket is a joke, Emami only has to wrestle a guy from Brazil and someone form India. what a waste.

why is 57kg so strong at this Tunisia tournament? 2021 world gold silver and bronze lol

i presume we didn't send a greco team?

On 7/14/2022 at 8:51 PM, wrestfan said:

it seems they wanted to send Mohebbi to the Islamic Solidarity Games. even though he lost to Masoumi and that kid is currently #2 here but the original decision was to sending him to the World Juniors.

but apparently Mohebbi got injured in that match which is serious (looks like a surgery is needed) and they have to send someone else ! with both Hashemi and Taheri being banned (not officially but still they won't be used this year because of their behavior) IWF is running out of options in this weight.

It looks like Hashemi is invited to the national team training camp next week. Presumably he is being given a second chance perhaps after being given a talking to?

At 57kg Sarlak beat Javan 2-0. Javan then lost to an 18 yo Indian (Udit x2) who Sarlak beat 4-1. So Sarlak has made the team. Interestingly, Gilman got pinned by Lehr (2021 World Bronze) in the first round. 

This Udit x2 took part in World Cadets and U-15 Asians in the same year (2019)... A bit odd? Udit x2 just teched Lehr and made the final! Wow.

Annoyingly, at 79kg we had the worst combination of events possible. Savadkoudi defeated Nokhodi 5-5 in the first round, but Savadkouhi went on to lose to Marsteller (the American who went 2-1 with JB) 9-6 but Nokhodi beat Marsteller 10-0! 

Zillmer (USA) had two matches with Geno, losing 8-2 and 8-4. 

Edited by The Genius

Gilman beats Sarlak 11-7 but to be honest it was closer than that suggests. Sarlak gave up a point when a challenge against a 4 pt TD by Gilman failed. It was 9-7 at the end and Sarlak basically gave away 2 points at the death trying something desperate, without the failed challenge that's 8-7. 

I think Sarlak can beat him with fewer mistakes. At least it shows Sarlak keeping it close the first time (5-3) wasn't a fluke. 

Edited by The Genius

4 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Gilman beats Sarlak 11-7 but to be honest it was closer than that suggests. Sarlak lost another point when a challenge against a 4 pt TD by Gilman failed. It was 9-7 at the end and Sarlak basically gave away 2 points at the death trying something desperate, without the failed challenge that's 9-8. 

I think Sarlak can beat him with fewer mistakes. At least it shows Sarlak keeping it close the first time (5-3) wasn't a fluke. 

Sarlak gets to face Lehr in the bronze medal match now. I think they're both at a similar level so that should be exciting. He could've won this one if the challenge won but rather a close loss here than at the worlds. Good to finally see an Iranian wrestler with more stamina than an American.

Did you catch the Nokhodi Savadkouhi game? Was it as close as the score suggested or was one wrestler clearly better than the other.

12 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

Did you catch the Nokhodi Savadkouhi game? Was it as close as the score suggested or was one wrestler clearly better than the other.

nobody saw that one except those in the stadium. the stream was dead at the time on that mat

I think Sarlak and Nokhodi already won the spot but Nokhodi better to win the gold to make sure of that. he was lucky it was a round robin competition otherwise he would be out after the 1st round.

6 hours ago, The Genius said:

Gilman beats Sarlak 11-7 but to be honest it was closer than that suggests.

I would say it wasn't as close as the score suggests. Gilman was never in danger of losing this one.

Gilman didn't seem very interested in any of his matches it appeared to me anyway...  

2 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I would say it wasn't as close as the score suggests. Gilman was never in danger of losing this one.

Gilman didn't seem very interested in any of his matches it appeared to me anyway...  

On the basis of the 2 points given up at the end out of desperation and the failed challenge making up 3 points, that could easily have been 8-7, which is a lot closer than 11-7 looks. 

5 minutes ago, The Genius said:

On the basis of the 2 points given up at the end out of desperation and the failed challenge making up 3 points, that could easily have been 8-7, which is a lot closer than 11-7 looks. 

I'm sorry. I don't disagree with the score being closer. Just the match.

Nokhodi beats Sakayev (KAZ) 10-6 in the final. Not a very impressive performance, but he made the team so that's the most important thing for him. He will need to be better than that to be able to compete with JB though. 

This Gilman with the fading late will have a very hard time with Ravi at worlds who is his main rival for gold unless Japan or something turns up with someone which is always possible.   That was his main problem outside of getting pinned by the German of course lol, I assume he will be in better shape for worlds.  Will be interesting to see if Gilman can reach the very impressive level he was at in Tokyo. And that German is very good for a guy from a non-wrestling country. 

Edited by Shiraz123

29 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Will be interesting to see if Gilman can reach the very impressive level he was at in Tokyo.

I believe he thought he could coast a bit through this one and wasn't to invested. Both appear to check out.

we had trials in 4 weights today for the ISG Games

61: Majid Dastan beat Dariush Hazratgholizadeh 8-1
65: Morteza Ghiasi beat MohammadReza Bagheri 3-2
70: Hossein Abouzari beat Yousef Kamrani 5-2
92: Ahmad Bazri beat Mehdi Hajiloueian by walkover

so this is suppose to be the freestyle team (still not official)

Reza Momeni 57, Majid Dastan 61, Morteza Ghiasi 65, Hossein Abouzari 70, Mohammad Sadegh Firouzpour 74, Ali Savadkouhi 79, Alireza Karimi 86, Ahmad Bazri 92, Mojtaba Goleij 97 and Mehdi Hashemi 125 !

it's a bit weird that they invited Hashemi back !
MohammadnejadJavan, A. Firouzpour and Masoumi are currently #2 in Iran and should be sent here but since they are still juniors, they are all going to the World Juniors instead.

On 7/20/2022 at 9:05 PM, Shiraz123 said:

Firouzpour wins the trial to be on the junior team at 92. Why isn't Masoumi having a trial? Automatically on it or not going juniors? Or did he already beat the guy who went to Asian juniors?

he is in the list for the Juniors camp. I believe he will be going to the Juniors without a trial. he beat the Salar Habibi 8-3 at Takhti Cup. they probably count that. (despite the fact that Habibi bulldozed everybody at the Asian Juniors and probably deserved a second chance)

Poland Open:

Mohammadali Geraei faces Akzhol Makhmudov for bronze.

He lost 9-0 to Zoltan Levai last match.

Mohammadhadi Saravi faces Beksultan Makhamadzhanovich Makhmudov for gold.

He beat Alex Szoke 3-2 in his last match, which was a replay of the 2021 World Championship finals.

He also beat #3 ranked Arvi Savolainen 12-1.

Mohammadhossein Mahmoodi faces Chengwu Wang for bronze also.

In his last match he beat Petr Novak of the Czech Republic 7-0 but lost to the Norwegian Exauce Mukubu 9-5. 

Mohammadali Geraei forfeited the match against Makhmudov. I may be wrong but I think it could be linked back to the match before he faced Zoltan Levai where he slammed his head pretty hard into the mat and had to get checked.

Edited by kkiane
addition

6 hours ago, kkiane said:

Mohammadali Geraei forfeited the match against Makhmudov. I may be wrong but I think it could be linked back to the match before he faced Zoltan Levai where he slammed his head pretty hard into the mat and had to get checked.

I believe that happened in the previous match against that Norwegian guy.

I don't think he wasn't really injured, just not in a good shape and didn't want to pick up another defeat. I think some of last year world medalists (in both FS and Greco) rested too long. I think that will hurt both of the teams in the Worlds in Serbia (I hope I'm wrong though)

without Russia, Iran still has the best Greco team but this team is not as strong as it was supposed to be without Dalkhani and Yousefi and considering A. Geraei's current shape. even R. Geraei and Poshtam weren't great in Kazakhstan. these guys participated only in 1 tournament between 2021 Worlds and 2022 Worlds. to me this is a big mistake. that should be 2 or 3.

32 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

I believe that happened in the previous match against that Norwegian guy.

I don't think he wasn't really injured, just not in a good shape and didn't want to pick up another defeat. I think some of last year world medalists (in both FS and Greco) rested too long. I think that will hurt both of the teams in the Worlds in Serbia (I hope I'm wrong though)

without Russia, Iran still has the best Greco team but this team is not as strong as it was supposed to be without Dalkhani and Yousefi and considering A. Geraei's current shape. even R. Geraei and Poshtam weren't great in Kazakhstan. these guys participated only in 1 tournament between 2021 Worlds and 2022 Worlds. to me this is a big mistake. that should be 2 or 3.

Do we know if Aleksanyan will be in Serbia? Without Russia (Evloev/Sargsian) I think only Aleksanyan would be favourite against Saravi. Saravi and Yousefi are my favourite GR wrestlers, I have been a fan of Saravi from that first tournament we saw him and I think Taheri at c. 4 years ago.  

Shame about Mohammadali Geraei's form, but there's still some time and he has always been quite inconsistent, although in my opinion he is the most entertaining GR wrestler in the world.

Edited by The Genius

16 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Do we know if Aleksanyan will be in Serbia? Without Russia (Evloev/Sargsian) I think only Aleksanyan would be favourite against Saravi.

He was listed to wrestle in Poland, I was hoping for another Aleksanyan/Saravi match but Artur didn't show up after all. (I don't know why, a new injury maybe ??) he is suppose to wrestle in Serbia but there are only few tournaments left before the Worlds. not much time left for him to wrestle somewhere else before the Worlds. we still don't know how prepared he is. he didn't wrestle in a competition since Tokyo Olympics.

2 hours ago, kkiane said:

Is there anyone to look out for in tomorrow’s U17 world champs for Iran?

It's hard to say because U17 Worlds is really the first stepping stone for a wrestlers career. Guys who look good here are the ones to look out for in future games. This Greco team is the exact same as the one that went to the Asian Championships last month in bishkek, and if I remember correctly it was full of bouts were our guys lost incredibly close ones. Some of them because of last second heroics from opponents and some had calls that felt a little one sided. Think the 80kg final was a good example of that. We finished behind Kyrgyzstan but just a couple of those close finals going our way and we win so I'm still pretty hopeful about our guys.