wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

4 hours ago, The Genius said:

Do we know if Aleksanyan will be in Serbia? Without Russia (Evloev/Sargsian) I think only Aleksanyan would be favourite against Saravi. Saravi and Yousefi are my favourite GR wrestlers, I have been a fan of Saravi from that first tournament we saw him and I think Taheri at c. 4 years ago.  

Shame about Mohammadali Geraei's form, but there's still some time and he has always been quite inconsistent, although in my opinion he is the most entertaining GR wrestler in the world.

Saravi seems to be our only guy where gold is almost guaranteed. It's crazy how good he's been, winning matches against all his major opponents except for an aging aleksanyan. Can't wait to see how he does in 2024.

Ali Geraei looked a little anxious in his first couple games. Think that might just be because he hasn't wrestled since the worlds so hopefully this was enough to shake the rust off. That guy he lost to was the same guy that won against Kaviyaninejad at MP. He's been killing it against top competition lately and becomes another name to watch for in an already stacked weight class. Really want Ali Geraei to win gold at least once in his career but it's looking more and more impossible as time progresses.

7 hours ago, kkiane said:

Is there anyone to look out for in tomorrow’s U17 world champs for Iran?

Not sure about GR but I saw the pictures of the cadet (or U17 as they have rebranded it) FS team and the HW has a gigantic neck, lol. Haven't seen him wrestle or know who he is but we will see what him and his 25 inch neck can do in Italy. Maybe he's terrible or great or average I don't know lol.

Mohammad Kamali loses to a Ukrainian 6-2 in the qualification round. He was very toothless.

He is now out as his opponent lost the following match.

Edited by kkiane

4 minutes ago, kkiane said:

Jahangiri gets screwed over massively by a terrible ref. Could have teched his opponent but instead loses 4-3 due to some extremely bizarre calls.

That pushout were Jahangiri got called for a caution plus one is a new rule I think. Shame about the close loss but the Hungarian now faces a guy he's already beat so hopefully Jahangiri gets a shot at bronze now.

12 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

That pushout were Jahangiri got called for a caution plus one is a new rule I think. Shame about the close loss but the Hungarian now faces a guy he's already beat so hopefully Jahangiri gets a shot at bronze now.

I don't know if it should have gotten to that stage. Bronze is good. He looked really good pre that caution. 

14 minutes ago, kkiane said:

Ali Abdollah Ahmadi Vafa wins his semi final match, and will face Ronit Sharma in a replay of the U17 Asian Championship finals.

That finals match was one of those close last few seconds heroics I was talking about. Really happy for the kid getting a second shot at the Indian. Excited to see how he does tomorrow.

Piani beats the Azeri 1*-1 and will wrestle an American (?!) in the 65kg final tomorrow. They were very evenly matched, the bad part of GR is where the match is decided by who gets puts into parterre position first.

Azarshab at 80kg gets teched in the first period, the Azeri looked very good. Very disappointing.

Two finalists from Iran in day 1 (48kg and 65kg), one in Bronze match (80kg) and one can get pulled into repechage (110kg). 

2 minutes ago, The Genius said:

The bizarre call was the Azeri picking him up and throwing him around for fun with Azarshab having no parterre defence, lol

Man these azeris are insanely good in the par terre position. Offense and defense. If this U17 team is any indication of their senior squad then I think they're gonna be our biggest challenge at the worlds this year.

10 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Not sure about GR but I saw the pictures of the cadet (or U17 as they have rebranded it) FS team and the HW has a gigantic neck, lol. Haven't seen him wrestle or know who he is but we will see what him and his 25 inch neck can do in Italy. Maybe he's terrible or great or average I don't know lol.

Did some research and I think you’re right. Mohammadreza Lotfi went the whole of the Asian championships without conceding a point and teched everyone.

3 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

America's 71 is of Iranian ancestry. I googled him after seeing his name in the bracket and he says in an interview that his dad wrestled for Iran.  

nice interview, sounds like he speaks Persian too. although i couldn't find his dad in Iran's Seoul 1988 team

4/5 make it to the SF in day 2.

Very impressive so far, especially Gholami (51kg) and Mirshekar (60kg). Somehow I missed Keshtkar's (92kg) matches but he has been perfect so far in terms of results. 

American-Iranian Khosravy at 71kg went 1-1, teching Austria before being teched by a dominant Georgian. 

6 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Very impressive so far, especially Gholami (51kg) and Mirshekar (60kg). Somehow I missed Keshtkar's (92kg) matches but he has been perfect so far in terms of results. 

American-Iranian Khosravy at 71kg went 1-1, teching Austria before being teched by a dominant Georgian. 

I only caught one, they go by so quick :)

4 minutes ago, The Genius said:

And our guy at 71kg still has a chance. The Armenian who beat him has looked really solid but now has to go against an Azeri who's a European silver medalist. 

2 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

And our guy at 71kg still has a chance. The Armenian who beat him has looked really solid but now has to go against an Azeri who's a European silver medalist. 

Yes true. Also Jahangiri (110kg) from yesterday won his repechage match and will also wrestle for bronze today.

So from yesterday: 2 in gold medal match, 2 in bronze medal match, 1 out.

From today: 4 in semi final, 1 with chance to get pulled back into repechage. 

Edited by The Genius