wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

13 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Why is Romania being allowed to challenge after being pinned by America? You're not allowed to challenge a pin unless the rules changed.

Didn't see this specific match, but in Greco they sometimes challenge the action right before the pin. leg foul or something else

the rules didn't change, you still are not allowed to challenge a pin itself

Ahmadi Baloo at 45kg loses his SF to Ukraine 7-9 after a failed challenge at the end. I think time ran out before he secured the TD, but it was close. Regardless, I wasn't hugely impressed by him. He will wrestle for Bronze tomorrow. 

Gholami at 51kg defeats Turkey 6-0 and will wrestle for Gold tomorrow. He has been very good today, very entertaining and solid wrestler.

Mirshekar at 61kg loses to Armenia 5-1 and will wrestle for Bronze tomorrow. The Iranian coaches aren't happy that the Armenian was given too much time on attacking parterre but Mirshekar would have lost by criteria anyway, he did nothing to win the match, the Armenian looked very strong. 

At 71kg, the Armenian that beat Moradi in the first round lost his SF, so Moradi is out with no points.

Keshtkar at 92kg loses to Georgia 3-5 in his SF and will wrestle for Bronze tomorrow. His offensive parterre was non existent and he seemed to give up with a minute left! 

So from the 4 guys that made the SF today, only 1 finalist. 

Edited by The Genius

13 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Ahmadi Vafa (48kg) is U17 World Champion after defeating his Indian opponent 3*-3. 

The Indian was the better wrestler. Ahmadi Vafa stole that one but we'll take it lol

13 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

The Indian was the better wrestler. Ahmadi Vafa stole that one but we'll take it lol

He was a bit lucky to get the passivity point in the second period, they don't always call it when there are points scored in the same period, but otherwise I thought it was very evenly matched

Edited by The Genius

Ahmadi Balootaki wins his Bronze match at 45kg in the first of the final GR medal matches.

Iran is 5 points behind Azerbaijan in the team race with 4 weights to go. Iran will need Azerbaijan to lose some matches to overtake them. 

Gholami (51kg), Iran's only finalist from yesterday, just got pinned in about 30 seconds by UZB and wins silver. Azeri won Bronze here so now Iran and Azerbaijan are level.

Mirshekar (60kg) also got pinned in his Bronze medal match. 

Iran will finish #2 in the team ranking, behind Azerbaijan. 

Edited by The Genius

42 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Iran will finish #2 in the team ranking, behind Azerbaijan. 

Does the Azeri at 92KG get points? The whole repechage thing always confuses me but I assumed that if you're not in the medal matches then you're ranked based on points scored and the Azeri lost both his matches socring only 1 point.

If he doesn't get points then we need their 71kg to lose and our 92kg to win. If they both lose then I think we still win based on the fact that we have more golds than them. If they both win then I'm not sure what happens really.

16 minutes ago, kkiane said:

I think we might have won the team title.

Yep! Pretty good tournament overall. Sucks that we only got 1 gold but that's still 7 medals overall. I believe that's the first time that's happened for us in Greco cadets. Obviously there's an asterisk beside that because no Russia but can't really complain.

Edited by Amir.Sol

5 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I'm so out of the loop. They do compete in some sports right.
Wrestling seems standard over there. Is it just "not a woman's sport"

They do belt wrestling because they're allowed to wear the full hijab. I have no clue if our federation or UWW are taking any steps at all to allow the hijab in women's freestyle but I'm 100% sure that whoever's funding our wrestling federation will not allow it anyway.

Edited by Amir.Sol

They do belt wrestling because they're allowed to wear the full hijab. I have no clue if our federation or UWW are taking any steps at all to allow the hijab in women's freestyle but I'm 100% sure that whoever's funding our wrestling federation will not allow it anyway.
That answers that.
I'm sure if able to compete the women would quickly close the gap. Unfortunate.

5 hours ago, Amir.Sol said:

when Khadem was in charge he talked to UWW and introduced a new style calling it "Classic style" for women wearing Hejab. that was short. one period of 3 minutes. UWW even had a tournament about it in Lebanon (the whole thing was paid by IWF) but it didn't attract other countries obviously and the idea died when Dabir came to office. he thought this is useless to sponsor a style which doesn't exist in any other country, and there is no chance it will develop anyway.

UWW page about this style still exists
https://uww.org/about-uww/committee/woman-classic-style

they will allow it as long as girls wear something like that but it's just not practical in this sport. you can't wear something like that when your opponent only wears a singlet. I assume that will leave scratches on her skin. UWW will never allow that.

so yes as long as IR is in charge with these mandatory nonsense, we will never see Iranian women in serious UWW competitions. nor in sports like Gymnastics and Swimming.

2 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

UWW even had a tournament about it in Lebanon (the whole thing was paid by IWF)

this is the tournament I talked about, first and last ever Women Classic Style event

Amir Mohammad Yazdani's sister  won a bronze here

https://uww.org/event/women-classic-international-tournament

Edited by wrestfan

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

when Khadem was in charge he talked to UWW and introduced a new style calling it "Classic style" for women wearing Hejab. that was short. one period of 3 minutes. UWW even had a tournament about it in Lebanon (the whole thing was paid by IWF) but it didn't attract other countries obviously and the idea died when Dabir came to office. he thought this is useless to sponsor a style which doesn't exist in any other country, and there is no chance it will develop anyway.

UWW page about this style still exists
https://uww.org/about-uww/committee/woman-classic-style

That's pretty interesting. I've never heard this before so thanks for letting me know!

Yeah I agree the clothing is just really impractical for either wrestler involved. I've seen people call the hijab an advantage but I think it's the opposite. It's so much easier to move around in a skin tight singlet than loose fitting clothes and a headscarf. The same thing is putting our women in other sports like football, volleyball and track at a disadvantage. Our men's team is so much stronger than our women's and the biggest reason for that is the hijab imo. You can't expect these girls to be able to run around for 90 minutes with hazmat suits on. 

Zahra Yazdani's a name I recognize! She's pretty good at belt wrestling. Didn't realize she was directly related to Lil Yaz like that.

Edited by Amir.Sol

For FS U17 in 2018 we won the team title, 2019 we basically won the team title, 2021 we came third but had the most golds with 3. Looking at the asian championships results it seems this team is much much weaker than those  teams but we will see. The did replace the guys who didn't medal but I assume those were the A guys or trial winners, so not sure we can be hopeful their backups will do better.  At age group Japan sends their B team to continental and A team to worlds but Iran does not. I think the junior team in 2 weeks will do a lot better, that has some very solid wrestlers on it. I wonder if the Elahi on this u17 team is the brother of junior world champ Elahi?

28 minutes ago, kkiane said:

For our U17 freestyle team it seems we replaced everyone who didn’t medal at the Asian championships, apart from those who didn’t wrestle.

They held selection matches for some weights within the camp. Nejatizadeh won both his matches against the guy sent to the Asians. I can't find the matches for the rest of the new guys so they may have been directly replaced because guys like Teymorizad were terrible at the Asians.

11 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Looking at the asian championships results it seems this team is much much weaker than those  teams but we will see

Those results aren't an entirely accurate representation of our U17 guys because we had 2 wrestlers miss weight in classes that we are usually very good at. I don't think we would have finished above India but I'm still hopeful for this team. But yes you're right our U20 guys in both FS and GR look excellent so I'm really excited for that competition.

11 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

I wonder if the Elahi on this u17 team is the brother of junior world champ Elahi?

They have different suffixes on their last names but they're both from mazandaran so they could be relatives but I doubt they're brothers.

Edited by Amir.Sol

1 minute ago, kkiane said:

Are our U20 teams really that good?

they won 8 golds in Asia (Greco won 7) and 4 of them being replaced by better wrestlers. I assume this is a pretty good team. I expect 4 gold medals at very least.