wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

7 minutes ago, The Genius said:

We did well or doing well wasn't a priority?

I should have said we did ok. Doing well was not a priority for Iran with the Cadets. I think the belief of the current head of Iran wrestling federation is that the cadets should not cut weight and best concentrate on development foremost.

The imperfect phrasing was well spotted- thanks

5 hours ago, window12 said:

I think to some extent the missing weights and the relatively low level of performance for this age group was predictable based on what Dabir has been saying. I think over the past year he has said a number of times that he does not believe that the cadet age groups should be cutting weight or for that matter he is not that bothered how well they do in that age group in that international tournaments . What he says is that in this age group Iran team should concentrate on training and building up the wrestling skills and the conditioning for the higher age group. With that philosophy coming from top then it would be understandable if some have missed weight and the performance overall has been suboptimal. Only time will tell if Dabir philosophy will translate to better performance for the older group. Personally i think he may be onto something. Time will tell.

actually they missed weight in a J'den Cox way lol their coach didn't know what day they have to wrestle. Mr Torkan thought those 2 guys have to wrestle in the next day. that was just a dumb mistake which Torkan accepted and apologized for it.

On 7/29/2022 at 2:48 PM, Shiraz123 said:

That whole sequence reminds of the famous Valiev - Korea nonsense at 2017 worlds in the round before Valiev lost to Yazdani. Except this was just incompetence and that was likely FILA corruption lol. 

one of the most ridiculous situations ever!

8 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

one of the most ridiculous situations ever!

Lol definitely. Watching it live back then was definitely an experience. "Are they actually going to be this blatantly corrupt?" Was what I was thinking lol. Poor Korean.

And completely disagree they didn't want to do well in cadets or don't care that much. They literally had a 2 hour meeting about what happened at asian cadets and that wasn't just about 2 guys missing weight, they took guys off the team for not doing well at Asian cadets. Don't cut weight doesn't mean literally cut no weight and miss weight it means wrestle closer to your natural weight LOL.  Fact is most the guys we are watching do well in seniors now had some age group success. Zare was a cadet world champ, junior world silver, u23 gold. Yazdani was a cadet world silver losing to Rashidov and a junior world champ. Ghasempour cadet world silver.  Little Yazdani cadet world silver and had some visa issue at junior worlds I believe. Amouzad multiple time cadet world champ and junior world gold. Goleij was a dominant junior world champ. Nokhodi had to throw a match at cadet worlds because of possibility of wrestling Israel but was a dominant cadet asian champ and a junior world champ. By no means does it guarantee success but it certainly seems to help. Then you have guys like Atri who are failing to medal since junior worlds and have gone to senior worlds/olympics a hundred times and still come back with DNP like they did at age group.

Good tournament though, USA likely would have won even with Russia there although of course not with as many points. Russia was there last year and came 4th. That was a very strong American team with the standout being the guy at 71.

Edited by Shiraz123

entry list for World U20

https://uww.org/article/wrestlesofia-u20-world-championships-entry-list

probably not accurate. Alireza Abdevali is listed at 65kg freestyle lol

the ISG Games has a very bad website but still you can find some kind of startlist. Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan are bringing their top wrestlers. Kazakhstan and Turkey are sending good teams too (not the A team though)

3 hours ago, wrestfan said:

entry list for World U20

https://uww.org/article/wrestlesofia-u20-world-championships-entry-list

probably not accurate. Alireza Abdevali is listed at 65kg freestyle lol

the ISG Games has a very bad website but still you can find some kind of startlist. Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan are bringing their top wrestlers. Kazakhstan and Turkey are sending good teams too (not the A team though)

Yeah Abdevali is definitely not going to be the FS 65kg guy lol. Everyone else listed looks right. Apparently Esmaeli replaces the previous guy at Greco 60KG even though he had won gold at the Asians. Esmaeli was at the junior worlds last year and won silver only losing to Russia.

The ISG games should be good. Much better competition that I expected. Azerbaijan's top guys beat our Greco team but it should be a good test. Freestyle will be better for us.

Will there be a rematch of the highly controversial/funny  Tokyo Olympics karate gold medal final between Iran and Saudi Arabia at the islamic solidarity games?

Edited by Shiraz123

3 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Will there be a rematch of the highly controversial/funny  Tokyo Olympics karate gold medal final between Iran and Saudi Arabia at the islamic solidarity games?

no, that Iranian guy, the Olympic Champion lost the trials at home and won't go to Turkey

3 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

that was insane, dude woke up to a gold medal. obviously milked the hell out of it, though. lol

first day finalists in ISG Games

57 kg - Abdullaev Ghulomjon (Uzb) - Smanbekov Almaz (Kgz)
65 kg - Aliyev Haji (Aze) - Abakarov Zelimkhan (Alb)
74 kg - Turan Bayramov (Aze) - Firouzpour Mohammadsadegh  (İri)
86 kg - Abakarov Abubakır (Aze) - Karimi Alireza  (Irı)
97 kg - Mustafa Sessiz (Tur) - Goleij Mojtaba  (Irı)

Momeni lost to a guy from Tajkistan in last 5 seconds ! but Ghiasi lost a controversial match to Haji Aliyev 8-4. Ghiasi was leading 4-1 until last 30 seconds. lots of fights, they even threw punches etc .. Aliyev could get disqualified in another universe for doing these things (apparently in UWW's universe he is safe to do whatever he wants) but I have to say there was a dubious call in favor of Ghiasi which started all the problems.

Firouzpour had a good day beating Kaipanov and Eryilmaz (both World medalists). it was too easy for Karimi and Goleij

On 7/31/2022 at 8:18 AM, window12 said:

I think to some extent the missing weights and the relatively low level of performance for this age group was predictable based on what Dabir has been saying. I think over the past year he has said a number of times that he does not believe that the cadet age groups should be cutting weight or for that matter he is not that bothered how well they do in that age group in that international tournaments . What he says is that in this age group Iran team should concentrate on training and building up the wrestling skills and the conditioning for the higher age group. With that philosophy coming from top then it would be understandable if some have missed weight and the performance overall has been suboptimal. Only time will tell if Dabir philosophy will translate to better performance for the older group. Personally i think he may be onto something. Time will tell.

While I agree that cadets should not cut weight, that does not mean it's ok to miss the weight.  cadets should enter weight classes that they do not have to cut weight in.  It is inexecutable to miss weight at any competition let alone a world level tournament.

I do agree with Dabir, it is unhealthy to cut drastic weight at such a young age.  So enter a weight at your natural weight, but do not ever miss a weigh in at a tournmanet.  

Abakarov. This guy has no shame. He's 9 - 0 down to Karimi with little time left and he's rolling around on the floor pretending his back hurts. Just get up and get teched. Get the match over with. Very embarrassing. 

Edited by Shiraz123

1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

Abakarov. This guy has no shame. He's 9 - 0 down to Karimi with little time left and he's rolling around on the floor pretending his back hurts. Just get up and get teched. Get the match over with. Very embarrassing. 

How did Firouzpour and Goleij do in their finals?

27 minutes ago, The Genius said:

How did Firouzpour and Goleij do in their finals?

Firouzpour lost. I only saw the last minute but it was 1 - 1 then they put him on the shotclock and he lost 2 - 1 if I remember right. It was probably a terrible match where nothing happened. Goleij only managed to get 2 of his classic pushouts in the final before the Turk decided his back hurts and called off the match. So Goleij won gold. Final lasted like 20 seconds. But surely he would have pushed him out 10 times for the tech if it had gone on, maybe 1 or 2 takedowns on the edge. 

Edited by Shiraz123

11 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

It was probably a terrible match where nothing happened.

Yes that's exactly what happened (or didn't happen), FIrouzpour had one good attack but couldn't finish it in the 1st period.

so Iran finished the 1st day with 2 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze

Abdullaev 57 and Aliyev 65 won other golds

Edited by wrestfan

2nd day finalists

61 kg - Jahongirmirza Turoboc (Uzb) - Bazarganov İslam (Aze)
70 kg - Akmataliev Ernazar (Kgz) - Abouzari Hossein (Irı)
79 kg - Muhammet Akdeniz (Tur) - Savadkouhi Ali  (Irı)
92 kg - Erhan Yaylacı (Tur) - Bazri Ahmad(Irı)
125 kg - Hashemi Mehdi (Irı) - Ercan Salim (Tur)

Edited by wrestfan

Iran finished the day with 3 gold, 1 sviler and 1 bronze. only Abouzari lost his final to Akmataliev which was expected

the other 3 won their finals relatively easily. Bazri had hard time in SF against world bronze medalist Nurmagomedov but won the match 6-6. but I still can't trust all 3 of them (Bazri, Hashemi and Savadkouhi) they are just not consistent or simply not good enough for a World Senior team.

Iran won 3 gold medals in Greco Competition by Yousefi 130, Rostami 72 and Beheshti 63. overall not a great performance.

but we had one interesting result, Yousefi beat Osman Yildrim twice on his way to the gold medal, this is the same guy who beat Mirzazadeh in Kazakhstan. I think it's very clear that Yousefi can get much better results in international competitions, he just can't beat Mirzazadeh in head to head. even though this year he lost only 2-2 and 1-1.

34 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Iran won 3 gold medals in Greco Competition by Yousefi 130, Rostami 72 and Beheshti 63. overall not a great performance.

but we had one interesting result, Yousefi beat Osman Yildrim twice on his way to the gold medal, this is the same guy who beat Mirzazadeh in Kazakhstan. I think it's very clear that Yousefi can get much better results in international competitions, he just can't beat Mirzazadeh in head to head. even though this year he lost only 2-2 and 1-1.

Beheshtitala winning gold against Sharshenbekov was another interesting result. The guy's like 35 or something and hasn't had much of a chance at the international level so I'm really happy for him. Most the other results were to be expected so I wouldn't say this was a bad performance per say. Most our other guys lost to world medalist or really good youngsters like Jafarov. Expected better from Garmsiri and Bali though.

Do you know any way to watch replays? These matches happen at such bad times for me and I can't seem to find any replays.

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

Totally agree about Yousefi. It's really a shame that Yousefi won't get the chance to become 2x world champion at his young age.