wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

38 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

Beheshtitala winning gold against Sharshenbekov was another interesting result. The guy's like 35 or something and hasn't had much of a chance at the international level so I'm really happy for him. Most the other results were to be expected so I wouldn't say this was a bad performance per say. Most our other guys lost to world medalist or really good youngsters like Jafarov. Expected better from Garmsiri and Bali though.

Do you know any way to watch replays? These matches happen at such bad times for me and I can't seem to find any replays.

Isn't Jafarov the guy who M.R. Geraei made a meme out of? 

33 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

Beheshtitala winning gold against Sharshenbekov was another interesting result. The guy's like 35 or something and hasn't had much of a chance at the international level so I'm really happy for him. Most the other results were to be expected so I wouldn't say this was a bad performance per say. Most our other guys lost to world medalist or really good youngsters like Jafarov. Expected better from Garmsiri and Bali though.

Do you know any way to watch replays? These matches happen at such bad times for me and I can't seem to find any replays.

I assume you know but just have to say that Beheshti beat the other Sharshenbekov, not the better brother (still a good wrestler though)

yes I was expecting more from Garmsiri and Bali. in some weights it was our 3th or 4th guys since some of our #2 wrestlers are in the junior team.

IRIB Varzesh showed some of the matches but here is a link for 2nd day of fresstyle finals (they switch to other sports too)

I believe you can find more in the same channel

37 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Isn't Jafarov the guy who M.R. Geraei made a meme out of? 

Yeah but getting memed by Reza Geraei is nothing to be ashamed of lol. Jafarov is only 20, he does have a slight consistency issue but he's genuinely been solid and will probably be our biggest challenge at 67 along with Zoidze. Plus the Geraei brothers way of wrestling can make their opponents look like jokes some times.

40 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

I assume you know but just have to say that Beheshti beat the other Sharshenbekov, not the better brother (still a good wrestler though)

yes I was expecting more from Garmsiri and Bali. in some weights it was our 3th or 4th guys since some of our #2 wrestlers are in the junior team.

IRIB Varzesh showed some of the matches but here is a link for 2nd day of fresstyle finals (they switch to other sports too)

Yeah I know. Other Sharshenbekov, who just won the Asian Champs, is still a good win for Beheshtitala who's like our 4th or 5th best guy at this weight.

Great find with the link! Hope they upload today's matches too. Thank you :)

36 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

Yeah but getting memed by Reza Geraei is nothing to be ashamed of lol. Jafarov is only 20, he does have a slight consistency issue but he's genuinely been solid and will probably be our biggest challenge at 67 along with Zoidze. Plus the Geraei brothers way of wrestling can make their opponents look like jokes some times.

Geraei should be a reasonable favourite for Gold at 67kg again. Staebler is retired and Borrero aged overnight. Zoidze and the Kazakh are probably the biggest challenges. I don't see Jafarov competing with those guys yet. 

48 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Geraei should be a reasonable favourite for Gold at 67kg again. Staebler is retired and Borrero aged overnight. Zoidze and the Kazakh are probably the biggest challenges. I don't see Jafarov competing with those guys yet. 

Oh yeah he's definitely the favourite. I think he's a level above everyone you've mentioned but it's Greco and you never know. I still think Jafarov has what it takes to be a world medalist. I'm sure the kazak guy you're talking about is kebispayev but I'm more worried about a different kazak lol. Shermakhanbet has been like an Achilles heel to Geraei. I don't know the exact numbers but I think he's lost 4 straight against him, including the one at bolat this year.

30 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

Oh yeah he's definitely the favourite. I think he's a level above everyone you've mentioned but it's Greco and you never know. I still think Jafarov has what it takes to be a world medalist. I'm sure the kazak guy you're talking about is kebispayev but I'm more worried about a different kazak lol. Shermakhanbet has been like an Achilles heel to Geraei. I don't know the exact numbers but I think he's lost 4 straight against him, including the one at bolat this year.

The Kazakh I was referring to was Shermakhanbet. He always has close matches with Zoidze (and got very lucky last time), but really struggles to beat Shermakhanbet. Hopefully he loses to someone else before Geraei has to face him, lol. Otherwise, I think Saravi is our best GR wrestler (and is my personal favourite) - hope we see him vs Aleskanyan. 

2 hours ago, The Genius said:

The Kazakh I was referring to was Shermakhanbet. He always has close matches with Zoidze (and got very lucky last time), but really struggles to beat Shermakhanbet. Hopefully he loses to someone else before Geraei has to face him, lol. Otherwise, I think Saravi is our best GR wrestler (and is my personal favourite) - hope we see him vs Aleskanyan. 

100% agreed on Saravi. He's our only Greco guy I have full confidence in. 

Is Sherma even the Kazak number 1? I don't follow their team selection process but I assumed they would send the same guy who won bronze at Oslo last year. Maybe kebispayev is aging out.

U20 draws are quite brutal.

57kg: Ahmad Javan faces Euros U20 Champion Piroddu in the first round then the winner faces USA.

74kg: Elahi faces USA in the first round but at least Gadzhiev is on the other half of the bracket.

79kg: Yari faces USA in the first round.

125kg: Masoumi and Feldman in the same half of the bracket, will meet in the SF (if they both get that far). 

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

U20 draws are quite brutal.

57kg: Ahmad Javan faces Euros U20 Champion Piroddu in the first round then the winner faces USA.

74kg: Elahi faces USA in the first round but at least Gadzhiev is on the other half of the bracket.

79kg: Yari faces USA in the first round.

125kg: Masoumi and Feldman in the same half of the bracket, will meet in the SF (if they both get that far). 

This is going to be a real test for Javan. Time to see if he can back up that Takhti performance. Elahi and Masoumi I'm not worried about.

2 hours ago, Amir.Sol said:

This is going to be a real test for Javan. Time to see if he can back up that Takhti performance. Elahi and Masoumi I'm not worried about.

A lot of folks believe Feldman is on the same level.  I don't, however I do believe it will not be as much of a mauling as you gents are.

Facundo is highly touted and now has a year under his belt in the NLWC room (D.Taylor, K.Snyder, etc).  He also gave last years U20 74KG champ O'Toole his most difficult match on his run the his 74 KG world title last year.  Also, USA has won the last three 74KG U20 titles.

40 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

A lot of folks believe Feldman is on the same level.  I don't, however I do believe it will not be as much of a mauling as you gents are.

You didn't ask but here's a little tidbit about Masoumi that people outside Iran probably don't know. Iranians don't really like him lol. He's known as a dirty wrestler because he attacks when his opponent is distracted with the ref or as soon as the whistle is blown. He used this to win the Takhti against Hashemi and had the same antics against Zare. The latter of which really painted him in a bad light because people love Zare.

The thing with Iranians is that they value sportsmanship just as much as good wrestling so using "dirty" tactics to try and win isn't well liked here. This is why Yazdani is so popular. I personally don't think it's dirty at all. In fact it's dumb that Iranian wrestlers keep talking to the ref before the whistle. Attacking at that moment is the smartest thing to do.

Just now, Amir.Sol said:

You didn't ask but here's a little tidbit about Masoumi that people outside Iran probably don't know. Iranians don't really like him lol. He's known as a dirty wrestler because he attacks when his opponent is distracted with the ref or as soon as the whistle is blown. He used this to win the Takhti against Hashemi and had the same antics against Zare. The latter of which really painted him in a bad light because people love Zare.

The thing with Iranians is that they value sportsmanship just as much as good wrestling so using "dirty" tactics to try and win isn't well liked here. This is why Yazdani is so popular. I personally don't think it's dirty at all. In fact it's dumb that Iranian wrestlers keep talking to the ref before the whistle. Attacking at that moment is the smartest thing to do.

Attacking when Zare is complaining to the ref isn't dirty, but headbutting Zare is dirty (hence his complaints to the ref). lol

1 minute ago, The Genius said:

Attacking when Zare is complaining to the ref isn't dirty, but headbutting Zare is dirty (hence his complaints to the ref). lol

But why distract yourself from your opponent? Is complaining really going to do anything other than give Masoumi a warning with 30 seconds left? I think Masoumi is a really smart wrestler and uses the Iranian habit of talking to the ref to his advantage.

1 hour ago, Amir.Sol said:

Well I am a big Zare fan, myself.  As much ad I want an American to be on top, he is a good one to follow.  Being a big fan of Mason Parris due to his collegiate ties makes it all the more intriguing to follow him for me.

As far as Feldman goes, he is as top notch as they come when it comes to character. Nhis downside is that he is small in stature and weight.  The big guys are going to dwarf him and it is unknown how he will handle that.

Yazdani is an absolute delight to watch.  Every time he is on the mat you know what he is going to do and nobody can stop it.  I am unsure how much longer Taylor can keep this high level of production up, but when he goes there may be nobody to challenge Yazdani unless he decides to chase glory up at 97 KG.

1 hour ago, Amir.Sol said:

But why distract yourself from your opponent? Is complaining really going to do anything other than give Masoumi a warning with 30 seconds left? I think Masoumi is a really smart wrestler and uses the Iranian habit of talking to the ref to his advantage.

I specifically said "attacking when Zare is complaining to the ref isn't dirty". But his headbutt was dirty. 

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Well I am a big Zare fan, myself.  As much ad I want an American to be on top, he is a good one to follow.  Being a big fan of Mason Parris due to his collegiate ties makes it all the more intriguing to follow him for me.

As far as Feldman goes, he is as top notch as they come when it comes to character. Nhis downside is that he is small in stature and weight.  The big guys are going to dwarf him and it is unknown how he will handle that.

Yazdani is an absolute delight to watch.  Every time he is on the mat you know what he is going to do and nobody can stop it.  I am unsure how much longer Taylor can keep this high level of production up, but when he goes there may be nobody to challenge Yazdani unless he decides to chase glory up at 97 KG.

It sounds like Masoumi - Feldman will be the main event then! Masoumi is also as big as it gets lol I remember he weighed in at 124KG at the team trials.

I really doubt Yazdani switches weights again even if it gets too easy for him without DT. He's established his spot at 86 and I'm sure he'd want to maintain his legacy of becoming the best Iranian wrestler of all time by winning the most golds by an Iranian.

4 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

It sounds like Masoumi - Feldman will be the main event then! Masoumi is also as big as it gets lol I remember he weighed in at 124KG at the team trials.

I really doubt Yazdani switches weights again even if it gets too easy for him without DT. He's established his spot at 86 and I'm sure he'd want to maintain his legacy of becoming the best Iranian wrestler of all time by winning the most golds by an Iranian.

You don't think taking out the greatest Russian and US 97 KG guys of all time wouldn't help him cement his legacy?

Imagine that bracket, mate.  Oof.

20 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You don't think taking out the greatest Russian and US 97 KG guys of all time wouldn't help him cement his legacy?

Imagine that bracket, mate.  Oof.

I don't think he can even maintain the weight to compete with those guys, and if he could Sadulaev beats him anyway. But yeah I agree those matches would be insane! Those guys are all a similar age too so it would be quite the rivalry trio.

3 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Stream sucks. Cant rewind at all now and doesn't resize properly for phones. Not even HD. AND now you have to create an account to watch. LOL!

Was going to say the same thing. Why are they putting effort into making these matches harder to follow?