wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

47 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

Azarpira didn't even do that well in the bm match to make up for his loss to the Turk. Firouzpour on the other hand was outstanding, he's got an insane amount of bend. One of those 2 or Hajilou will be our 97 guy moving forward. Excited to see them duke it out.

I suspect for Paris Ghassempour is eyeing up the berth for the 97Kg spot. Azapira is a bit incomplete/inconsistent. Also there is Goleij. Mohammadian May be getting on a bit but if he does well this year in Serbia he may still be in the reckoning.

therr are no shortage of options in the heavier weights. It’s the lower weights we are struggling for quality.

5 minutes ago, window12 said:

I suspect for Paris Ghassempour is eyeing up the berth for the 97Kg spot. Azapira is a bit incomplete/inconsistent. Also there is Goleij. Mohammadian May be getting on a bit but if he does well this year in Serbia he may still be in the reckoning.

therr are no shortage of options in the heavier weights. It’s the lower weights we are struggling for quality.

Oh no yeah definitely I meant for after Paris. I think it's Ghasempour vs Mohammadian for the spot in Paris and it's only slightly in favour of Ghasempour imo. Depends how good Mohammadian is at the age of 32. 

We almost have too much talent in the 86-97 range. Very good problem to have.

Also for those wondering, everyone except Elahi, Yari, Firouzpour and Azarpira is still eligible for junior worlds next year. Javan might make the senior team so we might not see him. Masoumi is not beating Zare.

26 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:Masoumi is not beating Zare.

Interesting assertion about Masoumi not beating Zare. Last year when he won the cadets I thought he has a long way to go to be the finished Article. This year he has been mixing it with Hashemi Mohebbi and Zare and has done well. I agree in the next year or so Zare will still be superior but a couple of years from now we may have a significant rivalry for the world team there. Again good position to have. Also he has the size advantage over Zare.

17 minutes ago, window12 said:

Interesting assertion about Masoumi not beating Zare. Last year when he won the cadets I thought he has a long way to go to be the finished Article. This year he has been mixing it with Hashemi Mohebbi and Zare and has done well. I agree in the next year or so Zare will still be superior but a couple of years from now we may have a significant rivalry for the world team there. Again good position to have. Also he has the size advantage over Zare.

Again I don't think I'm being clear with my comments. I meant specifically for who's making next years junior team. 4 of them will age out and Javan has a shot at seniors. Masoumi isn't beating Zare specifically next year so he'll probably be back.

But yeah I think it's already a rivalry. Masoumi's only 18 he'll get his time soon enough.

8 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

Again I don't think I'm being clear with my comments. I meant specifically for who's making next years junior team. 

Ah - I get what you mean now. I agree Masoumi will be back next year  at this tournament.I have no doubt the junior teams coaches were fighting tooth and nail for him and Firouzpour not to be sent to ISG as they were instrumental in securing the junior teams title. Also I was impressed with the maturity of the coaches decision making. By not ostracising Hashemi for his dubious behaviour ( giving him a second chance and perhaps letting him learn from it) they have strengthened the depth at 125kg and given the top guys chance to shine in different venues and earn some silverware for themselves and let the Iranian team also perform well on multiple stages. In retrospect they seem to have done that well.

2 hours ago, kkiane said:

Anyone to look out for in Greco? We don’t have the same star power.

Definitely don't have the same star power but there's still some good talent. Here's a rundown of who I think are our favourites:

55- Negahdari - He's very quick, also one of our rare lightweight guys who is good in par terre offense and defense. He teched his way through the Asian Champs only giving up a single passivity point. He should do very well.

60- Esmaeli - We actually improved at this weight sending him over Mohsenejad. He was at juniors last year and got silver, only losing to Russia who teched everyone except him. I'm not sure why he wasn't at Asians this year, maybe an injury, but clearly the spot was his and he should also do well.

63- Mohammadi - Our most accomplished wrestler at the senior level. He got bronze at Asian seniors this year. Didn't have the biggest competition but his only loss came to multiple time world medalist Ainagulov. He was also a junior bronze medalist last year. Thankfully the Bulgarian Nazaryan won't participate here so he should medal again.

72- Abdi - Last year he was at juniors and U23 and had the exact same outcome in both tournaments. Lost to a Russian early, got pulled in to the repechage and wrestled valiantly only to lose in the bronze. He looks pretty thick for this weight class so it should be harder to throw him. The Hungarian who beat him for bronze, Toesmagi (incredible name) will be here again. We share the same name so I like him and hope we does well.

82- Mohammadi #2 - Had a very dominant performance at Asians. He's incredibly good at getting a takedown from the underhook. We have very little depth at this weight so he's probably our third best guy already. He's unproven though so there's a good chance he ends up like greco's Mohammad Aghaei, can go up against anybody but probably has that one bad match in him.

Other than that we have Sohrabi and Abedidarzi who both wrestled at juniors last year and got bounced in the first round. Maybe they can do a Yari though. Kavousi isn't bad but 77 is usually the deepest weight class so I'm doubtful. Hedayati is built like a basketball lol. Very round man but he dominated the Asians. Asian Greco heavyweight is a joke though so can't tell how well he'll do against Europeans. Only thing I know about Chopani is that he had the worst draw possible at takhti. Alizadeh in the first round and Taheri in the repechage. 

Overall we can expect anywhere from 4-8 medals really, Greco is just too unpredictable especially in age level tournaments. This year it's Russia-less though so we would need to have a fairly bad tournament to fall to AZE/GEO levels.

Also has to be said that there are three Israelis participating here, one of them the European bronze medalist at 60. We'll have to pray to the bracket god that they won't be on our side.

16 hours ago, Amir.Sol said:

82- Mohammadi #2 - Had a very dominant performance at Asians. He's incredibly good at getting a takedown from the underhook. We have very little depth at this weight so he's probably our third best guy already. He's unproven though so there's a good chance he ends up like greco's Mohammad Aghaei, can go up against anybody but probably has that one bad match in him.

his name is not "Mohammadi" (which is a very common name in Iran) that's Mohmadi. very similar but still different محمدی versus مهمدی

34 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

his name is not "Mohammadi" (which is a very common name in Iran) that's Mohmadi. very similar but still different محمدی versus مهمدی

Ah didn't notice that thanks! Was wondering why his name is spelt so weird on UWW.

On 8/18/2022 at 5:32 AM, Amir.Sol said:

55- Negahdari - He's very quick, also one of our rare lightweight guys who is good in par terre offense and defense. He teched his way through the Asian Champs only giving up a single passivity point. He should do very well.

Now why did you have to get my hopes up like that?

So far both Choubani (87kg) and Hedayati (130kg) in the SF and looking good. Hedayati teched his SF opponent about 2 months ago so should be an easy win for him. 

Negahdari (55kg) out after losing to ROU in the first round (ROU is in the SF). 

Kavousi (77kg) gets pinned by Moldova in 90 seconds ... Then refuses to shake anyone's hands and just sulks instead lol.

Mohammadi (63kg) beats GEO 6-0 and makes the SF. Looks very good.

Overall: 3/5 in SF, 2/5 can be pulled into repechage. 

Edited by The Genius

55kg: The Romanian makes the final and Negahdari is pulled back into the repechage. 

63kg: Mohammadi wins his SF and will wrestle KGZ for Gold tomorrow. He has looked very solid and has yet to give up a point (19-0 today).

77kg: The Moldovan who pinned Kavousi gets teched in the SF and Kavousi is out. 

87kg: Choubani beats AZE by VIN (winning 8-1 at the time) in the SF and will wrestle for Gold tomorrow. That SF was a mess, the AZE guy got injured and kept taking breaks (they didn't give step out + caution the first time and the second time they didn't even record the injury time). Choubani was better than him anyway. 

130kg: Hedayati wins his SF 5-1 (push-out masterclass) and will wrestle for Gold tomorrow. 

3/5 in the final, 1 in the repechage with a chance for Bronze, and 1 out. Overall, a good day for the GR team. 

4 hours ago, The Genius said:

Now why did you have to get my hopes up like that?

Lol sorry about that. I missed the match did he suck? Roumania is the European silver medalist and is in the finals with the European gold medalist so maybe that's something. I just thought he was such a breath of fresh air at Greco lightweight compared to guys like Dadmarz and Naserpour who are very limited in par terre.

Also one thing I forgot is that a few of these guys went to the kolov this year. Esmaeli had a great tournament, winning gold and beating really good opponents like the better Sharshenbekov. I think he should be our biggest favourite. Mohmadi also had a good tournament winning bronze, not the same level of opponents though. Negahdari on the other hand, out in the first round against a random Algerian.

1 minute ago, The Genius said:

I don't think Iran has ever won both the Junior World FS and GR team titles - is that correct? @wrestfan

Obviously depends how tomorrow's guys do, but looks like we have a very good chance of doing that for the first time.

I have to check some sources but my first answer is "no I don't think"

Russia's absence is an important factor we can't ignore but I believe Iran could win both titles even with Russia. (the freestyle team underperformed actually despite winning 3 golds + team title)

9 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

Also one thing I forgot is that a few of these guys went to the kolov this year. Esmaeli had a great tournament, winning gold and beating really good opponents like the better Sharshenbekov.

Do you have a link to this?

12 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

Lol sorry about that. I missed the match did he suck? Roumania is the European silver medalist and is in the finals with the European gold medalist so maybe that's something. I just thought he was such a breath of fresh air at Greco lightweight compared to guys like Dadmarz and Naserpour who are very limited in par terre.

Also one thing I forgot is that a few of these guys went to the kolov this year. Esmaeli had a great tournament, winning gold and beating really good opponents like the better Sharshenbekov. I think he should be our biggest favourite. Mohmadi also had a good tournament winning bronze, not the same level of opponents though. Negahdari on the other hand, out in the first round against a random Algerian.

That's very impressive from Esmaeli - Sharshenbekov is a two time senior world Silver medalist. Hopefully we can put another 3 in the final tomorrow (Esmaeli, Mohmadi and Sohrabi).