wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

They announced the team for the Asian Championship

Atri 57, Ehsanpour 61, Biabani 65, Emami 70, Nokhodi 74, Teymouri 79,  Ghasempour 86, Karimi 92, Yazdani 97 and Mohebbi 125

also in Greco

Khedri 55, Mardani (or Beheshti) 60, Saman Abdevali 63, Tab 67, Reza Geraei 72, Ali Geraei 77, Saeid Abdevali 82, Nouri 87, Aliyari 97 and Ghasemi-Monjazi 130

and as usual M J Ebrahimi started to complain about everything. about how he wrestled in Takhti Cup and the World Cup and why they are sending Karimi again ! 

this guy is unbelievable, he was terrible at the World Cup losing to some average wrestlers, he lost to Mohebbi in Takhti Cup. and now his brother (who is apparently his coach too) claims he will wrestle for another country and he has "offers" from Azerbaijan, Armenia and Germany lol they are saying this because of Azarshakib wrestling for Azerbaijan this week, he speaks this is a club competition when you can change your club whenever you want ! he has to wait 2 years if he wants to wrestle for another country.

Ebrahimi is a bit deluded unfortunately.

He lost  to old Urishev in Tbilisi tournament final 5 - 0 before the last worlds. Urishev lost to Tsakulov in Russia's trials and we saw how Karimi destroyed Tsakulov at the world championships. 

Will be interesting to see if Nokhodi is actually at this level or if they are just desperate.

5 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Atri 57, Ehsanpour 61, Biabani 65, Emami 70, Nokhodi 74, Teymouri 79,  Ghasempour 86, Karimi 92, Yazdani 97 and Mohebbi 125

also in Greco

Khedri 55, Mardani (or Beheshti) 60, Saman Abdevali 63, Tab 67, Reza Geraei 72, Ali Geraei 77, Saeid Abdevali 82, Nouri 87, Aliyari 97 and Ghasemi-Monjazi 130

I know Rezi Yazdani wants that Olympic gold but how is his body holding up? Would love to see him against Snyder. Is he the favorite to win Iranian trials?  

4 hours ago, PRyan2012 said:

I know Rezi Yazdani wants that Olympic gold but how is his body holding up? Would love to see him against Snyder. Is he the favorite to win Iranian trials?  

I think he is. at least this year. I can guess this will be more challenging for him next year with Karimi moving to 97 and Foroutan getting more experience. but this year he only has to deal with likes of Goudarzi or Talebi. 

not just gold, I think he will be happy with any medal at this point after what happened to him in 2012 and also 2016.

11 hours ago, wrestfan said:

also in Greco

Some bold choices, sending recent cadet wrestlers in 74 and 86 Kg

I am a little surprised they are sending Yazdani at 97, but I bet they are trying to accomplish two things

• Give him more confidence by having him win his second tournament in a couple of months
  • Continue evaluating him to see if he can be the guy to send in 97

I also think by sending Atri in 57, they are pretty much conceding that Iran does not have anyone that can do well in 57.

Edited by irani

23 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Atri - Gold

Biabani - Bronze

Emami - Bronze

Teymouri - Gold

Reza Yazdani - Gold

Atri gold????

Did Reza Yazdani wrestle anyone who was good?

Atri won gold. Not sure he beat anyone too notable until the final where he beat last years Asian  championships gold medalist and asian games silver from north Korea. The North Korean beat world champ Takahashi on his way to the final.  Atri won the final 9-3 but most of his points happened in one sequence on the ground where he was able to get some exposure points. He went from 2 to 8 points in that sequence.

As for Yazdani, it's Asia and he's wrestling at an upper weight. So it's generally going to be weak. He didn't wrestle anyone who has won a world medal to my knowledge.

One more thing, I don't know what UWW's problem is with Asia. Why is the European championships following the new 2 day weigh in rules but in Asia we still wrestle all the matches from qualification to gold medal in one day? Especially in the lighter weights 2 day weigh in can change a lot. I would have preferred the 2 day weigh in rules to get our guys better prepared. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Do you think maybe Iran is trying to get the most out of their team this year for 2020?  Seeing if Yazdani can compete at 97kg?  I could see him growing into 92kg.  He definitely has the skill for it, however I don't think his size has caught up, yet.  At 97kg every one of the Russian grapplers in their top 5 and most former Soviet countries have physical monsters.

I am intrigued at the idea of Yaz at 213lbs for this years worlds and next years Oly-games.  He needs to get on that Okie State bulk job routine, though.

I watched the competition as much as possible. their ****ty live stream stopped working at some point today and I missed both of the defeats. despite winning the bronze and only losing to Bajrang, Biabani didn't impress me at all. he almost lost a 7-3 lead to Katai in last 30 seconds. he just survived 7-7

Atri was no good in qualification rounds, very surprised he won the gold. but yes he scored 8 points at once and I have to say the officiating was a bit in his favor.

The Mongolian Yazdani beat in the final was tough, I saw him at the Worlds last year, he wasn't easy opponent even for Snyder but still he is not a world class wrestler. 79kg was relatively easy for Teymouri. but I was surprised Emami losing 12-2 to Kazakhstan !

36 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Do you think maybe Iran is trying to get the most out of their team this year for 2020?  Seeing if Yazdani can compete at 97kg?  I could see him growing into 92kg.  He definitely has the skill for it, however I don't think his size has caught up, yet.  At 97kg every one of the Russian grapplers in their top 5 and most former Soviet countries have physical monsters.

I am intrigued at the idea of Yaz at 213lbs for this years worlds and next years Oly-games.  He needs to get on that Okie State bulk job routine, though.

You mean Hassan Yazdani? No way they move him anywhere a year before the Olympics. There's no reason to move him up. 

50 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

You mean Hassan Yazdani? No way they move him anywhere a year before the Olympics. There's no reason to move him up. 

Bugger.  I totally missed that it wasn't Hassan.  I was super stoked to see that.

Legitimately 3 of the best U25 grapplers on the planet at 97kg would surely get me going.

FACEPALM

Apologies for my ignorance.

I really hope Reza is on Snyder's side of the bracket at worlds. I've been wanting to see that matchup since Snyder hit the scene. It probably isn't the same as Reza is much older, but still a cool match to watch and a dangerous one for Snyder. 

Nokhodi is good and it's great for him winning a senior Asian Championship medal at the age of 18 but he is no way an option for the 2020 Olympics. even Hosseinkhani most probably could tech that Indian guy Dhankar.

I see only 3 options for Iran for 74kg, 1) making Teymouri cut to 74kg, 2) sending Hosseinkhani but forbidding him to watch the clock, 3) giving up and sending nobody ! unfortunately none of them are good options

if I had to name the best 3 wrestlers in Iran right now, I would say H. Yazdani, Karimi and Ghasempour and unfortunately regarding the Olympics they are all in the same weight !

that was good for Mohebbi beating (and dominating despite the close score) Deng Zhiwei. he even can win a medal at the Worlds with a good draw but to me he is the weaker version of Hadi. he is still #3 in Iran. I criticized Hadi in past a lot but he has my vote now. to me he is #2 in the world only behind Akgul.

that was also a good comeback for Ehsanpour, he didn't really "shine" here but still that was good after a terrible season last year.

Nokhodi not senior material at this point unfortunately. Good for him winning the bronze but Asian championships was weaker this year. I don't think he would particularly stand out against other juniors if they send him to junior worlds. Let's be honest I don't like Hosseinkhani but he would destroy Nokhodi and I doubt that changes in the next year. I assume it will be between Hosseinkhani and Teymouri as I doubt Teymouri will have any desire to go and try his luck at 86 with Yazdani, Ghasempour, Karimi and the rest. I agree those 3 are our best wrestlers and it is not even close. It's nice to see the way Ghasempour wrestles after all this Dast Zir-e Ketf stuff we have in Iran. Definitely my favourite Iranian wrestler at the moment - not saying he's the best. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Looks like the Iran GR guys did ok too.

This was obviously Iran's first and best team.  Did other countries also send their A teams?  Is Amir Ghassemi related to Komeil?

Here is a video for your viewing pleasure

Edited by irani
typo

9 minutes ago, irani said:

Looks like the Iran GR guys did ok too.

This was obviously Iran's first time.  Did other countries also send their A teams?  Is Amir Ghassemi related to Komeil?

Here is a video for your viewing pleasure

they all sent their very best team.and the level was higher than freestyle. there were lots of World medalists in the competition. unlike freestyle.

if you notice Amir's surname is "Ghasemi Monjazi" and he is from Masjed-Soleyman in South. Komeil is from Mazandaran.

1 hour ago, irani said:

Do you think the coach is already making a difference?

well too early to judge and you really can't judge based on the Asian Championships. but I think I saw some improvements. specially in freestyle.

in Greco, Bana's presence was at least good for Abdevali. Banna is the only one who can handle Abdevali, in past few years he only attended the national camp couple weeks before the competition, this time he trained more with Banna and therefore he teched everybody here.

in Greco Iran has more or less the same problem as freestyle. regarding the Olympics all notable or talented young wrestlers will be around 77kg or 87kg. Nouri, Geraei brothers, Abdevali, Kavianinejad and Saravi. I don't see much chance for medal in other 4 weights. but you never know. Aliyari won a bronze medal at worlds last year (thanks to Aleksanyan's withdrawal) despite being out of shape. or a Korean guy won bronze at super heavyweight in 2018. Ghasemi Monjazi teched that Korean guy here in less than a minute. in Greco the better wrestler doesn't always win. (I know you can say that about any other sport but in Greco it happens more)

Iran FS at the Sassari ranking tournament.

57 - Hajaghania beat Sarlak then lost to a  Canadian. In the end he got a bronze. This guy is very bad.

61 - Yakhkeshi wins gold at 61 but is disqualified for wearing a T shirt on the podium. Apparently you have to be wearing the full track suit. Firstly I am not sure when this rule came about or started to be enforced, as I have seen multiple wrestlers wear a T shirt on the podium and not be disqualified, including Hajaghania in this same tournament when he recieved his bronze. Second, why have this stupid rule? And third, UWW  claims they warned Yakhkeshi multiple times. We all know that in the past 40 years Iranian people are very good at listening when somebody tells them how they are allowed to dress! So i am surprised if they told him and he refused.

65 - Lost immediately in controversial fashion to  Kazakh. I think he won the match but overall Yazdani is nowhere close to seniors. Even at juniors he would struggle a lot.

70 - Beat a Russian then then lost to Bulgaria. I heard he got disqualified but it seems they let him come back and wrestle as he won bronze.

74 - Nokhodi won 10 - 0 against a wrestler from Turkmenistan ( who looked about as young as him) before losing 6 - 0 against Tsabalov. He mostly just held position and defended against Tsabalov. Tsabalov then lost to Chamizo and eliminated Nokhodi.

86 - Bazri won gold over Daulatbekov 19 - 10. He almost lost by 10 points but came back in the end. Bazri is not bad but not close to the level of Yazdani or Ghasempour. You can't give up that many points to a wrestler at the level of Daulatbekov.

92 - Karimi won comfortably. Including an easy win over Mohebi. I'm sure Karimi will be the 92 at worlds.

97 - All Iran final between Talebi and Foroutan and Talebi again beat him easily. Foroutan had a win over that tough Mongolian on his way to the final.

Edited by Shiraz123

5 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Iran FS at the Sassari ranking tournament.

57 - Hajaghania beat Sarlak then lost to a  Canadian. In the end he got a bronze. This guy is very bad.

61 - Yakhkeshi wins gold at 61 but is disqualified for wearing a T shirt on the podium. Apparently you have to be wearing the full track suit. Firstly I am not sure when this rule came about or started to be enforced, as I have seen multiple wrestlers wear a T shirt on the podium and not be disqualified, including Hajaghania in this same tournament when he recieved his bronze. Second, why have this stupid rule? And third, UWW  claims they warned Yakhkeshi multiple times. We all know that in the past 40 years Iranian people are very good at listening when somebody tells them how they are allowed to dress! So i am surprised if they told him and he refused.

65 - Lost immediately in controversial fashion to  Kazakh. I think he won the match but overall Yazdani is nowhere close to seniors. Even at juniors he would struggle a lot.

70 - Beat a Russian then then lost to Bulgaria. I heard he got disqualified but it seems they let him come back and wrestle as he won bronze.

74 - Nokhodi won 10 - 0 against a wrestler from Turkmenistan ( who looked about as young as him) before losing 6 - 0 against Tsabalov. He mostly just held position and defended against Tsabalov. Tsabalov then lost to Chamizo and eliminated Nokhodi.

86 - Bazri won gold over Daulatbekov 19 - 10. He almost lost by 10 points but came back in the end. Bazri is not bad but not close to the level of Yazdani or Ghasempour. You can't give up that many points to a wrestler at the level of Daulatbekov.

92 - Karimi won comfortably. Including an easy win over Mohebi. I'm sure Karimi will be the 92 at worlds.

97 - All Iran final between Talebi and Foroutan and Talebi again beat him easily. Foroutan had a win over that tough Mongolian on his way to the final.

Very funny!

Thanks for the write up.  That sounds like beauracracy gone mad.