wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

finally they announced the format for the trials on Friday. simple round robin ! (no double elimination) and no best of 3 finals ! even Yazdani and Ghasempour will wrestle just once !! terrible idea

and they say this is not the end, they will make their minds about the team after the tournaments in Turkey and Poland.

another news, Mostafa Hosseinkhani got injured recently and will miss the trials.

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

finally they announced the format for the trials on Friday. simple round robin ! (no double elimination) and no best of 3 finals ! even Yazdani and Ghasempour will wrestle just once !! terrible idea

and they say this is not the end, they will make their minds about the team after the tournaments in Turkey and Poland.

another news, Mostafa Hosseinkhani got injured recently and will miss the trials.

Who do you predict to win each weight? 

24 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Who do you predict to win each weight? 

hmm

I'm going with obvious picks, Biabani, Afzali, H. Yazdani, R. Yazdani and Hadi. but I'm sure half of my prediction will be wrong lol (specially I hope I'm wrong about Afzali winning)

it's really hard to pick one for 65 and 74. they are all let's say "not good" I'm secretly hoping for a magical comeback from Ahmad Mohammadi. but I know that's not going to happen.

Hosseinkhani's injury is serious. he will go through surgery and will be out for almost 5 months. he claims he won't give up and will try for the Olympics. but I'm afraid that doesn't matter if Iran doesn't qualify the weight for the Olympics which is now highly possible.

I will miss Hosseinkhani after the Worlds, never thought I would say that lol

74 will be a rough weight to qualify. Unfortunately this isn't 2015 where it was just Burroughs and Gedeuv. Back then a wrestler at the calibre of that Ghasemi guy was able to qualify the weight for Yazdani to get the gold. Will be lot harder now  

They announced the program for tomorrow trials in details. this is going to be weirdest trials ever !

Round 1:

65kg: Ghiasi vs Biabani --- Yazdani vs Sadeghi

74kg: Nokhodi vs Mohammadi --- Rashidi vs Afzali

125kg: Hadi vs Mohebbi

97kg: Shaabani vs Goudarzi

Round 2:

65kg: Sadeghi vs Biabani --- Ghiasi vs Yazdani

74kg: Afzali vs Mohammadi --- Rashidi vs Nokhodi

97kg: Talebi vs winner of Round 1

125kg: Mohebbi vs Ghasemi

Round 3:

86kg: Yazdani vs Ghasempour

65kg: Yazdani vs Biabani --- Sadeghi vs Ghiasi

74kg: Rashidi vs Mohammadi --- Afzali vs Nokhodi

97kg: Yazdani vs winner of Round 2

125kg: Ghasemi vs Hadi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

they also mentioned "coaches can decide about extra wrestle-off for any of those weights" they didn't say "same day same venue" or for another day. but I assume the same day after all of these matches !!! for example if Ghasempour beats Yazdani narrowly they may tell him to wrestle Yazdani again !

so many questions about this. for example how come Reza Yazdani gets a bye to the final and will wrestle only once ?! based on what ? Hamed Talebi beat the same guys (he beat in Dan Kolov or Asian Champs) even easier.

I think most people will wait for the 3rd round to watch some big matches, mostly Yazdani/Ghasempour and Hadi/Ghasemi.

Unfortunately it seems they are desperate to have Yazdani on the team despite him being old and having a long injury history. I do not mind Yazdani being the 97 at worlds but they should not go out of their way to make it so. This is what happens when they fail to produce one decent wrestler at a weight in around 10 years. 

Thankfully we have Mohammad Mohammadian returning next year who has a plan to beat Snyder and Sadulaev. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Results

65kg:

Round 1: Ghiasi beat Biabani 3-2 / Yazdani beat Sadeghi 3-2

Round 2: Sadeghi beat Biabani 6-4 / Yazdani beat Ghiasi 5-4

Round 3: Biabani beat Yazdani 6-1 / Sadeghi beat Ghiasi 2-1

Final ranking: 1. Yazdani , 2. Sadeghi, 3. Ghiasi, 4. Biabani

74kg:

Round 1: Nokhodi beat Mohammadi 4-4 / Afazli beat Rashidi 4-0

Round 2: Afazli beat Mohammadi 9-7 / Rashidi beat Nokhodi 4-4

Round 3: Mohammadi beat Rashidi 7-7 / Afazli beat Nokhodi 5-0

Final ranking: 1. Afazli , 2. Mohammadi, 3. Rashidi, 4. Nokhodi

86kg:

Yazdani beat Ghasempour 6-3

97kg:

Round 1: Shaabani beat Talebi 3-2

Round 2: Yazdani beat Shaabani 5-3

125kg:

Round 1: Hadi beat Mohebbi 4-2

Round 2: Mohebbi beat Ghasemi 6-2

Round 3: Hadi beat Ghasemi 4-0

Final ranking: 1. Hadi , 2. Mohebbi 3. Ghasemi

I have no idea what they are going to do with 65kg. Yazdani won the trials but he was far from convincing, Biabani despite finishing last, beat him quite easily in the last match !

74kg was even worse, Afzali won 3 matches and since the other 3 beat each other, he is in a good position but we know he is very bad in international competitions . today he beat Rashidi and Nokhodi easily but he was very lucky against Mohammadi. I would give another chance to Mohammadi, he wasn't that bad today, still he gives up points easily.

86kg was quite a battle, Yazdani beat Ghasempour 6-3 and made the world team. pity they only wrestled once.

97kg, this Shaabani guy was kind of surprise of the day, he beat Talebi (quite unexpected) and then had a close match with Reza Yazdani, I have to say if he had more experience we could have a different winner today.

125kg, Komeil kissed the mat and said goodbye to wrestling after losing to Hadi. he also lost to Mohebbi. he had a great career with two Olympic medals.

-----------

based on G. Mohammadi's interview and per today results I think it's fair to say these guys are already selected for the Worlds

Atri 57, Ehsanpour 61, Emami 70, Teymouri 79, H. Yazdani 86, Karimi 92, R. Yazdani 97 and Hadi 125

questions are about 65 and 74, I think Afzali will be the 74kg guy (unfortunately) but 65 is still a mystery. none of them were convincing today.

I saw every match aside from the first two matches at 65. I thought the quality was very poor. They will get a similar result as last year at worlds except for one easy gold because Taylor is injured. At some weights like 65 and 74 they have absolutely no hope of a medal even with an easy draw. 

Btw I thought this Mohebi guy is supposed to be from a wrestling family. Meaning he has been around wrestling since he was a child. So why does he seem like a big strong guy who started learning wrestling 2 years ago? 

With Hadi and Ghasemi we had two world class heavyweights (if in shape). Now  that Ghasemi is gone hopefully nothing happens to Hadi because they have no other option now. Like 65 when Mohammadi got injured and they still can't find anyone to even win two matches at the world championships.

4 hours ago, wrestfan said:

I have no idea what they are going to do with 65kg. Yazdani won the trials but he was far from convincing, Biabani despite finishing last, beat him quite easily in the last match !

74kg was even worse, Afzali won 3 matches and since the other 3 beat each other, he is in a good position but we know he is very bad in international competitions . today he beat Rashidi and Nokhodi easily but he was very lucky against Mohammadi. I would give another chance to Mohammadi, he wasn't that bad today, still he gives up points easily.

86kg was quite a battle, Yazdani beat Ghasempour 6-3 and made the world team. pity they only wrestled once.

97kg, this Shaabani guy was kind of surprise of the day, he beat Talebi (quite unexpected) and then had a close match with Reza Yazdani, I have to say if he had more experience we could have a different winner today.

125kg, Komeil kissed the mat and said goodbye to wrestling after losing to Hadi. he also lost to Mohebbi. he had a great career with two Olympic medals.

-----------

based on G. Mohammadi's interview and per today results I think it's fair to say these guys are already selected for the Worlds

Atri 57, Ehsanpour 61, Emami 70, Teymouri 79, H. Yazdani 86, Karimi 92, R. Yazdani 97 and Hadi 125

questions are about 65 and 74, I think Afzali will be the 74kg guy (unfortunately) but 65 is still a mystery. none of them were convincing today.

Do you happen to have a link to the H. Yazdani v. Ghasempour match video? 

as usual they invited a list of wrestlers to the national camp after the trials . as usual there are some youngsters in the list to train with the rest , I'm not going to mention them . some important notes

* no Yakhkeshi at 61, which means Ehsanpour will go to the World Champs for sure. Karimi at 92 and also Teymouri 79 and Atri 57 are guaranteed too.

* beside Younes Emami we also have Meisam Nasiri once again, I don't know what does that mean but Nasiri isn't here just to train ! I assume they are not 100% satisfied with Emami.

* they invited Mohammadi, Afzali, Nokhodi and also Peyman Yarahmadi for 74kg ! interestingly they wrote Mohammadi's name first, traditionally whoever they write first is their main candidate. I just assume the spot is not yet safe for Afzali.

* we have A. Yazdani, Biabani and Sadeghi for 65kg. they only dropped Ghiasi from the trials.

there is a list on UWW website for Yasar Dogu tournament but the Iranian team is completely different than the provisional list. mostly younger/unknown wrestlers

57 Erfan Jafarian, Amir Parasteh

61 Majid Dastan

70 Meisam Nasiri

79 Bahman Teymouri

86 Mersad Marghzari

97 Ali Shaabani, Abbas Foroutan

125 Yadollah Mohebbi

only Teymouri from the World team is here, also it seems they are giving another chance to Nasiri to challenge Emami for the spot.

obviously they don't care much about ranking points anymore.  but by looking at the current ranking, Emami is 5th,  H. Yazdani 3rd (2nd without Taylor) and Karimi 2nd. the rest can't make it to top 4 , (Hadi is 6th but I'm sure 4 of those guys above him will participate in the Worlds)

I think for the Iranians only few things really matter in the ranking, for Karimi not being in the same side as Cox. at 97 not being in the same side with both Sadullaev and Snyder (problem solved they are 1st and 2nd) and at 125, the same with Akgul and Geno. even if Geno recovers in time, Akgul is currently 4th but will be 3rd after Yasar Dogu. problem solved ! and I think now without Taylor it doesn't matter for H. Yazdani. but at least being top 4 means he most probably will get a bye in the first round lowering the chance of running into Israel.