wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Zadegan at 51kg lost 10-6 to a Kazakh (haven't watched it). The Kazakh is in the SF so might still be a chance for repechage. Disappointing though. 

Motaghi at 65kg lost the repechage against a Japanese guy so no medal for him.

Other than that, good so far: Mehran Firouz is in SF at 48kg (tough match though), Elahi is in SF at 60kg,  Valipour is in the SF at 71kg, and Sangani is in the SF at 92kg.

Arab at 45 beats Azerbaijan comfortably to make the finals. Also eliminates Russia ( who lost to Azerbaijan) so should be good for the team race as Iran and Russia are very far ahead of everyone else.

Mehran Firouz at 45kg beat the Azeri and will wrestle America for Gold in the final.

Zadegan at 51kg will wrestle an Uzbek in the repechage then the Ukrainian for Bronze if he gets there.

Elahi at 60kg beat the Azeri 12-2 in the SF and will wrestle Russia for Gold in the final.

Valipour at 71kg just lost 12-5 to the Romanian Biro. Was going well (leading 3-2) until he gave up a controversial 4 point move and 2 point takedown combined. Challenge lost then Valipour had to go for it. I think he can win Bronze. 

Sangani at 92kg beat the Armenian 6-3 in the SF in a tough and dirty match where he almost blew his lead near the end. He'll wrestle the Russian in the final (the Russian looks very good). 

Overall, 3/5 of today's wrestlers are in the final and the other 2/5 still have a shot at Bronze. Firouz and Elahi look very good

Veisi at 55kg just lost the final against the Uzbek Jalolov 3-1. Was wining on criteria 1-1 after a very uneventful match then the Uzbek requested a challenge for an apparent TD not given by the ref, and he won the challenge. Veisi was very upset after the match. But he WINS SILVER so he has nothing to be ashamed of. 

A bit controversial because the ref was slow to realise the Uzbek side had requested a challenge so after the jury gave it to the Uzbek Veisi only had 3-4 seconds left when in reality he should have had around 10. 

Edited by The Genius

I saw so many times they don't consider situations like this as "takedown" because the Uzbek wasn't in control completely. I also wonder how much time you have to make a challenge ? they challenged the call almost 25 seconds later !

still that was a good try from Veisi, I didn't expect him to challenge the Uzbek.

1 minute ago, wrestfan said:

I saw so many times they don't consider situations like this as "takedown" because the Uzbek wasn't in control completely. I also wonder how much time you have to make a challenge ? they challenged the call almost 25 seconds later !

still that was a good try from Veisi, I didn't expect him to challenge the Uzbek.

Based on the reporting you guys provided here, I expected Veisi to get pinned in 30 seconds.  Not a bad outcome

FIROUZ DESTROYS BAGAEV 8-1 AND WINS GOLD AT 80KG. 

What a performance! Defensively sound and was ready to counter Bagaev's moves all the way.

I have to be honest, I was expecting Bagaev to dominate. Very happy for Firouz to prove me wrong!

Edited by The Genius

2 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Who won cadets at 80kg for Iran last year? 

Ghiasi. He lost the match (dominated the match but got caught with a 4 point move in the last second) to a Russian but the Russian failed his doping test so Ghiasi got the gold anyway. 

hard to believe Habibi beat this Indian guy 10-0 few weeks ago !! this was the worst match of the tournament for Iran so far. terrible

but at least Firouzpour winning the gold made up for that.

Unfortunately Habibi got crushed 8-1 by the Indian in the Bronze medal match at 110kg. He just couldn't do anything against him. At least he broke the TV when the Indian threw him off. Totally gassed in the last 30 seconds, stopped attacking and then collapsed to the floor in the last 8 seconds.

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

Valipour at 71kg just lost 12-5 to the Romanian Biro. Was going well (leading 3-2) until he gave up a controversial 4 point move and 2 point takedown combined. Challenge lost then Valipour had to go for it. I think he can win Bronze.

he has to wrestle the winner of Israel-Sweden for the bronze. he only has to pray you know why.

btw he had the dream draw , when you lose to Romania, you deserve nothing. but his bronze is important for iran for the team title. but if he forfeits the bronze medal match, there is a big chance for disqualification and therefore losing the team title.

9 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

he has to wrestle the winner of Israel-Sweden for the bronze. he only has to pray you know why.

btw he had the dream draw , when you lose to Romania, you deserve nothing. but his bronze is important for iran for the team title. but if he forfeits the bronze medal match, there is a big chance for disqualification and therefore losing the team title.

Oh boy, I didn't even notice the Israeli. I've always loved Swedish meatballs...

24 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

In regard to this whole issue, and hopefully for wrestling in general, the International Judo Federation said in May that it had reached an agreement with Tehran to allow their team members to compete against Israelis. Under the agreement, Iran’s National Olympic Committee said it would “fully respect the Olympic Charter and its non-discrimination principle,” though it did not mention Israel by name. Iranian judokas have forfeited matches against Israelis for decades.

Despite the agreement, the head of Iran’s national Olympic committee Syed Reza Salehi Amiri told the International Judo Federation chairman Marius Vizer that his athletes would not compete with Israeli athletes.

So obviously there’s a difference of opinion (to say the least) at the highest levels.

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Judging from the last name of the Israeli wrestler (Bartov) he may be either Russian or Bulgarian.  If that is the case, usually they would be favored against a Swedish wrestler.  I am afraid we are about to see Iran forfeit this match, and potentially have the whole team championship forfeited because of this insane policy.

I would like to see Iran go back to the days before 1979, where Iranian wrestlers just pinned the Israeli wrestlers instead of boycotting them.

1 hour ago, irani said:

Judging from the last name of the Israeli wrestler (Bartov) he may be either Russian or Bulgarian.  If that is the case, usually they would be favored against a Swedish wrestler.  I am afraid we are about to see Iran forfeit this match, and potentially have the whole team championship forfeited because of this insane policy.

I would like to see Iran go back to the days before 1979, where Iranian wrestlers just pinned the Israeli wrestlers instead of boycotting them.

Dont worry Swedish wrestler win Israel. 

Swedish  won  CHINA in qualification round 10-0 and in 1/8 round JAPAN 13-2. 

10 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Ghiasi. He lost the match (dominated the match but got caught with a 4 point move in the last second) to a Russian but the Russian failed his doping test so Ghiasi got the gold anyway.

Doping at the Cadet level?  I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.

12 hours ago, FreestyleWrestler said:

He was right. Swedish kid beat Israel 10  - 0.  

I think two more wins will be enough for Iran to win the team title. I think Arab and Gholizadegan will do that. not confident about Valipour he is the weakest member of the team. and the Swedish kid isn't that bad. and the other two have Russia in the final.

If we can still win the team title without winning the 71 bronze match I would not mind if the Swedish representative won as he did us a favour and the Swedish people were very friendly when I went there a few years ago. 

17 hours ago, FreestyleWrestler said:

This man is a prophet.