wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

23 hours ago, wrestfan said:

btw he had the dream draw , when you lose to Romania, you deserve nothing. 

The Romanian just lost to the Russian in the final 11-13 - very close match.  

Russians are so good at pulling out the big 4 point moves in the last 30 seconds of the match to win!

6 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

u sure ? I think I saw him but then I wasn't watching carefully , I might be wrong

I heard the mat chairman told to the ref to show the coach "red card" during the Gholizadegan match, (not sure if they did) even though coaches were telling to the wrestler to go to the center and shake hands but well those UWW officials can't understand Persian. they probably thought they are telling Gholizadegan to do something stupid lol

I heard that too, I heard it for both the wrestler and the coach but I didn't see the ref actually issue any red cards

Just want to say thanks to the folks writing on this thread.  I enjoy reading about the Iranian wrestlers and the perspectives being shared. I know Iranian wrestling fans are legendary in a very positive way and I highly respect the wrestlers.  It is great to have a window into this community.

12 minutes ago, irani said:

I agree they are more strict when it comes to Iran, as demonstrated by the infamous short sleeve on podium disqualification.

But I also think Iranians need to show more sportsmanship, take defeats with dignity, and protest far less.  This applies not just to wrestling, but to all sports.

I will never remember the Iran Japan soccer match, when the Japanese forward took a dive, 5 Iranian defender went to the referee to protect the dive, and the Japanese forward got up, got the ball and scored.  Protest less!!

It's a Cause & Effect question, always difficult to figure out. Yes, the short sleeve on the podium thing was just stupid. But are the officials more strict towards Iran because they protest too much? Maybe so. Same thing happens all the time in NCAA wrestling (DeSanto from Iowa, for example): the wrestler draws negative attention to himself, the officials punish him for it.

2 minutes ago, nom said:

Just want to say thanks to the folks writing on this thread.  I enjoy reading about the Iranian wrestlers and the perspectives being shared. I know Iranian wrestling fans are legendary in a very positive way and I highly respect the wrestlers.  It is great to have a window into this community.

Absolutely, well said, couldn't agree more. Would love to read the same kind of stuff from Russians, Azerbaijans, etc.

Sangani WINS GOLD at 92kg beating Karimov 3-1!

Very impressive performance. Karimov was a beast in earlier rounds but Sangani dominated the match in my opinion. 

Not sure WTF they gave Karimov a point for but whatever, congrats to Sangani! 

Edited by The Genius

20 minutes ago, fightingsioux said:

It's a Cause & Effect question, always difficult to figure out. Yes, the short sleeve on the podium thing was just stupid. But are the officials more strict towards Iran because they protest too much? Maybe so. Same thing happens all the time in NCAA wrestling (DeSanto from Iowa, for example): the wrestler draws negative attention to himself, the officials punish him for it.

I think we are in violent agreement!   Quit complaining, and get good enough that the ref cannot screw you.  I don't remember Takhti, Movahed, Habibi, or Khadem every protesting.  To be fair, they did not lose that often so they did not have much to complain about :)

18 minutes ago, fightingsioux said:

Absolutely, well said, couldn't agree more. Would love to read the same kind of stuff from Russians, Azerbaijans, etc.

Yes, I would also like to express my gratitude to Wrestfan, Shirazi and The Genius for sharing the knowledge and expertise with us.

For me, Firouzpour and Sangani were the two most impressive wrestlers, but good talent and good performances in virtually every weight category (other than Motaghi and Habibi). 

Finish with 3 Golds (Amouzad, Firouzpour and Sangani), 3 Silvers (Mehran Firouz, Veisi and Elahi) and 1 Bronze (Valipour). 

Finish 2nd in the team table behind Russia by 2 points, but really without the unfair DQ of Zadegan we would have won. 

Very good tournament. 

6 minutes ago, irani said:

Yes, I would also like to express my gratitude to Wrestfan, Shirazi and The Genius for sharing the knowledge and expertise with us.

I know nothing compared to those guys. They and yourself make this thread a fantastic place to learn and discuss, so thank you!

Tavakolian was on the corner once again, he wasn't suspended. he was probably having hard time and had to rest for 71kg bronze medal match. he was too emotional in past 3 days. I was really worry about his health condition.

Russia was very lucky to win the team title, so many last seconds points in favor of Russia and Gholizadegan's disqualification but to be honest that doesn't matter much. it's important to see how many of these kids can improve and become something in senior level. I think most of them were good, but they did stupid mistakes sometimes but well that's why they are cadets.

but my favorite wrestler of the day was that Romanian kid, he almost won the gold medal if he was a bit patient.

also how they justified giving that 1 point to Karimov ?! lol because Yousefi's head was a bit out ?

44 minutes ago, irani said:

I think we are in violent agreement!   Quit complaining, and get good enough that the ref cannot screw you.  I don't remember Takhti, Movahed, Habibi, or Khadem every protesting.  To be fair, they did not lose that often so they did not have much to complain about :)

Exactly! As in all combat sports, don't leave it to the judges.

Completely off the topic-- I'm a retired English teacher, so forgive me for this: while "violent agreement" is grammatically correct, a more standard way of saying it would be "strong agreement." :-)

BTW not that important but on the official UWW press release on Elkanov's failed test and redistribution of medals for 2018 Cadet Worlds, they made a mistake and said Amouzad was the new 80kg gold medalist! So Amouzad is the 2018 cadet gold medalist at 45kg and 80kg - what a beast!

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/russian-elkanov-suspended-four-years

"Elkanov’s gold medal in freestyle wrestling at 80kg will also be forfeited and returned. The updated medal standings are as follows:

GOLD: Rahman Mousa AMOUZADKHALILI (IRI)
SILVER: Rafayel HARUTYUNYAN (ARM)
BRONZE: Shakhbos KOMILOV (UZB)
BRONZE: Ahmet YUCEL (TUR)"

Lol  not just Amouzad but they pasted the all the 45kg medalists onto the article, so I guess all four medalists at 45kg also got their equivalent medals at 80.  The real 80kg medalists had an American named Assad ( distant relative of the famous Syrian president) get bronze. 

Edited by Shiraz123

1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

Tournament over. Hopefully one or two of these guys can do well in seniors one day. 

Not over yet - all 7 Asian Cadet medalists (4G 2S 1B) are featuring in the GR matches (along with 3 others for 1 rep per category) which start on Friday (I think)

4/5 of today's GR wrestlers made it to the semi finals so far (world cadets).

Dehbozorgi at 48kg looks very good and is in the SF (Asian Cadet Gold), Abbaspour at 55kg lost to a Russian 14-6 in the QF and maybe has a shot for Bronze, Rezaei at 65kg looks good and is in the SF (Asian Cadet Gold), Arghash had a tough first round vs Turkey but looked great since then and is in SF at 80kg, and surprisingly for me Mikaeilizadeh is in SF at 110kg (Asian Cadet Bronze).

The SFs will start in around 2-3 hours. 

Edited by The Genius

Dehbozorgi at 48kg won his SF against the Kazakh 8-0 and he will wrestle for Gold tomorrow vs Azerbaijan's Babashov.

At 55kg the Russian that beat Abbaspour lost in the SF so Abbaspour is out.

Rezaei at 65kg lost his SF 3-1 to the very strong Tajik Ochilov (Ochilov looked amazing and Rezaei could not do anything apart from a late push out). Rezaei will wrestle for Bronze tomorrow. 

At 80kg Arghash lost his SF and got destroyed 9-0 to the Ukrainian who looked much bigger (and better) than him. He will wrestle for Bronze tomorrow. 

At 110kg Mikaeili won his SF 6-0 and looked very strong against the Hungarian. Mikaeili will wrestle for Gold tomorrow vs Armenia's Kurdyan (who looked very good in his SF).

To summarise day 1 of GR cadets for Iran: 2/5 in final, 2/5 wrestle for Bronze and 1/5 out. 

Edited by The Genius

Today's semi finals:

45kg: Zenab lost 7-0 to very strong Kazakh in SF. Will wrestle for Bronze tomorrow.

51kg: Esmaeili beat the Bulgarian 9-0 (sounds like Armenian from name Nazaryan) in SF and will wrestle for Gold tomorrow vs Azerbaijan. 

60kg: Sohrabi lost 3-0 to the Russian Skuratov. Skuratov used his length very well to defend, Sohrabi couldn't take him down but I was still impressed by him. Will wrestle for Bronze.

71kg: Ali Saki won on criteria 6-6 vs the Moldovan and will wrestle for Gold tomorrow. Got a nice 4 point move quickly, then got taken down, chose to stand back up only to get immediately thrown to concede another 4 points. Luckily got a TD in the last 30 seconds so he edged it on criteria, but I wasn't really impressed by him.

92kg: The Russian won so Karimizadeh is pulled back into the repechage and has a shot for Bronze tomorrow. 

Summary: 2/5 wrestle for Gold tomorrow, 2/5 wrestle for Bronze and 1/5 in repechage for shot at Bronze. 

Edited by The Genius

Today's Cadets GR finals:

48kg: Dehbozorgi beats Babashov 3-1 and WINS GOLD.

65kg: Rezaei lost his Bronze medal match 9-8... What a disaster. Was losing on criteria 6-6 then pulled off a TD with 15 seconds to go, winning 8-6. Then with 00.3 seconds left conceded a TD and lost on criteria 8-8 (9-8 after lost challenge to see if it was in time).

80kg: Arghash lost his Bronze medal match 5-3 to Nazaryan (a different one - this time an actual Armenian). Alieksieiev (UKR) who won Gold looks like an amazing talent.  

110kg: Mikaeili beats Kurdyan (ARM) 1-0 in the final and WINS GOLD. Upgraded his Asian Cadet Bronze to a World Gold - very impressed.