wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

we were supposed to send a team to Poland but for some reasons !? that didn't happen. instead they are sending a team to Georgia.

57, Sarlak

61, Yakhkeshi

65, Sadeghi, Biabani, Hajipour

70, Emami

74, Mohammadi, Afzali

79, Teymouri

86, Ghasempour

97, R. Yazdani

there is no Amir Mohammad Yazdani in the list, instead they preferred to use him in the Junior team for the Worlds Juniors, so it will be between Sadeghi and Biabani. also 74kg is between Mohammadi and Afzali. for the same reason Nokhodi is out because he is in the junior team.

-----------------------------------------

here is the Iranian team for the World Juniors Championships

57, Amir Parasteh (Mazandaran)

61, Mehdi Shirazi (Tehran)

65, Amir Mohammad Yazdani (Mazandaran)

70, Mohammad Sadegh Firouzpour (Mazandaran)

74, Mohammad Nokhodi (Mazandaran)

79, Abdollah Sheikh-Aazami (Mazandaran)

86, Sajjad Habibi (Tehran)

92, Alireza Abdollahi (Tehran)

97, Abbas Foroutan (Mazandaran)

125, Amir Hossein Zare (Mazandaran)

if you check the list, there are 7 wrestlers from Mazandaran and 3 from Tehran. nobody from the other 29 provinces !! unbelievable

Edited by wrestfan

Surprised Sheikhi is going to junior worlds at 79. Had a big death in his family with two little girls in a car crash. Looked very good at the Asian championships, though.

Edited by Shiraz123

Cadet Worlds GR (Final Day):

45kg: Zenab lost his Bronze medal match vs Azeri 8-1. Kept trying to throw the Azeri and failing miserably and leaving his back exposed for an easy 2 points each time. 

51kg: Esmaeili beat Aliyev (AZE) 2-1 in the Gold medal match (TD in the first 10 seconds then on defence for the rest of the match) and WINS GOLD. 

60kg: Sohrabi lost his Bronze medal match vs GEO 8-6. Was winning 6-0 with about 1 minute left then crumbled. Handled the defeat terribly too, walked off the mat and started crying and the ref had to drag him back!

71kg: Saki beat the Russian 4-1 in the Gold medal match (4 point throw early in second period) and WINS GOLD. 

92kg: Karimizadeh beat the American but then lost his second repechage match against the Estonian 3-2 (who lost on criteria to Evloev). Was a close match and the Estonian is very good, Karimizadeh can still be happy.

GR summary: 4 Golds (Dehbozorgi at 48kg, Esmaeili at 51kg, Saki at 71kg and Mikaeili at 110kg). 4/4 on gold medal matches but 0/4 on bronze medal matches - but I prefer it this way lol

2 hours ago, The Genius said:

60kg: Sohrabi lost his Bronze medal match vs GEO 8-6. Was winning 6-0 with about 1 minute left then crumbled. Handled the defeat terribly too, walked off the mat and started crying and the ref had to drag him back! 

Lucky he did not get disqualified! 

if you are interested in Greco. Iran is also sending a Greco team to Georgia. I believe in most weights it will act like the trials. here is the list

55. Reza Khedri, Pouya Nasserpour

60, Alireza Nejati, Shirzad Beheshti

63, Mohammad Nourbakhsh, Meisam Delkhani, Saman Abdevali

67, Hamed Tab, Mohammad Javad Rezaei

72, Amin Kavianinejad, Mohammad Reza Geraei

77, Mohammad Ali Geraei, Pejman Poshtam

87, Hossein Nouri, Ramin Taheri

97, Mohammad Hadi Saravi, Ali Akbar Heidari

130, Shahab Ghourehjili, Parsa Nazari

I believe at 55, 63, 72 this will be the direct trial. because there is no other candidates. and none of them have any kind of advantage. 60kg we also have Mehrdad Mardani who is apparently injured. so the best in this tournament is not guaranteed the spot. about 67 I'm not sure about Mohammad Eliasi (if he is still in the race or not) but I assume the winner here will take the spot. for 77kg, 87kg and 130kg I believe Geraei, Nouri and Gourehjili will go to Nur-Sultan even if they fail here but not a sure thing.

we have nobody for 82kg.which means Saeid Abdevali already has the spot, the only remaining weight is 97kg. the main candidate Mehdi Aliyari is injured, interesting they are moving Saravi to 97kg to test him here. I think the representative in this weight will depend on Aliyari's injury.

Thanks for these recent write ups. I know a fair bit about your senior level guys (partially because of this thread...) but I know very little about the younger ones. 

Iran seems to be incredible at the age groups across freestyle and greco. I hope some of these guys end up being stars. 

I've done an analysis on how the US results in freestyle convert. Basically, a cadet medal doesn't mean all that much, but if followed up by a junior medal they tend to convert well. That doesn't mean they even make a team or get a world medal at seniors, but they generally are at least in contention for a senior team. I wonder if it is the same for Iran.

https://www.isna.ir/news/98051407384/از-نقطه-صفر-مرزی-تا-سکوی-جهانی-یوسفی-پدرم-دیگر-نمی-تواند-حمایتم

An interesting back story on Yousefi, who won the cadet gold at 92kg in freestyle. I thought he was from Tehran or Mazandaran or something but turns out he is from Taybad all the way on the Iran/Afghanistan border and has made it to this point. 

Btw it seems Reza Yazdani is refusing to wrestle in Georgia.

Here is a video of the interview with Komeil, once his gold medal got confrimed

Interview with Komeil

he said it might be 2-3 months before he receives the actual medal

Apparently, Artur Taymazov is refusing to return the gold medal!

They also said because of this gold, Iran's position in the London Olympics moved from17th to 12th, which is the best ever for Iran

6 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

https://www.isna.ir/news/98051407384/از-نقطه-صفر-مرزی-تا-سکوی-جهانی-یوسفی-پدرم-دیگر-نمی-تواند-حمایتم

An interesting back story on Yousefi, who won the cadet gold at 92kg in freestyle. I thought he was from Tehran or Mazandaran or something but turns out he is from Taybad all the way on the Iran/Afghanistan border and has made it to this point. 

Btw it seems Reza Yazdani is refusing to wrestle in Georgia.

What does Reza refusing to wrestle in Georgia mean? He can't make the team?

1 hour ago, irani said:

Here is a video of the interview with Komeil, once his gold medal got confirmed

Interview with Komeil

They also said because of this gold, Iran's position in the London Olympics moved from17th to 12th, which is the best ever for Iran

I think Iran finished 13th now, still best ever Olympic performance for Iran (6 Gold, 6 Silver, 1 Bronze). 

Thanks for sharing the interview with Ghasemi!

28 minutes ago, The Genius said:

I think Iran finished 13th now, still best ever Olympic performance for Iran (6 Gold, 6 Silver, 1 Bronze). 

Once again, your correction is valid.

In my defense, I just reported what Komeil said, so it's his fault!  :)

29 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Iran is 13th now but will be 12th because Iran is waiting another gold medal in weightlifting. which will be 3rd gold medal for Iran because of re-testing.

2 hours ago, irani said:

Here is a video of the interview with Komeil, once his gold medal got confrimed

Interview with Komeil

This is somewhat of a tradition for Russian athletes.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/02/02/russia-olympic-doping-medals-stripped-returned/

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

What does Reza refusing to wrestle in Georgia mean? He can't make the team?

You mean the world team? The coaches can send him if they want. Obviously there is no set in stone process in Iran. I think one of them, Mohsen Kaveh, stated that if Yazdani wants to wrestle at worlds he has to wrestle somewhere before that, so we will see what happens. I am reading an article that says the coaches will have to make a decision and respond to his request, however the tournament starts tomorrow so I think it's a bit late for that now. It's strange because he has been training this whole time at the national team camp with all the national team coaches, how does this come out the day before the tournament? 

I have a feeling we will see Ali Shaabani in Nur-Sultan. at least that's a possibility now.

from what I see in interviews they are not happy with his decision. he claims some kind of injury but It seems they don't buy his excuse. this is obvious from the fact Yazdani withdrew by sending a letter to the federation instead of just talking to the coaches

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

I have a feeling we will see Ali Shaabani in Nur-Sultan. at least that's a possibility now.

from what I see in interviews they are not happy with his decision. he claims some kind of injury but It seems they don't buy his excuse. this is obvious from the fact Yazdani withdrew by sending a letter to the federation instead of just talking to the coaches

ohh..that's a news! Damn, i was hoping to see Reza Yazdani vs Synder.   But as such, Ali Shaabani looked great in Yasar Dogu, gave Snyder a tough match and dealt Alborov (Did you guys see this match, Alborov behaved weird and got disqualified) badly with a tech fall (before Alborov getting disqualified)

10 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Iran is 13th now but will be 12th because Iran is waiting another gold medal in weightlifting. which will be 3rd gold medal for Iran because of re-testing.

You mean at 105kg because the Ukrainian failed a test? They announced that 7 months ago, why no news on re-allocation? 

The Iranian never came higher than 6th in Worlds, and if true he will get Olympic Gold! All I can say is afarin!

Edited by The Genius

7 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Damn, he is one of my favourite wrestlers for the past decade almost and I was really looking forward to seeing him wrestle again in a few days time. But he won trials vs Shabani recently so I can also understand if he thinks he deserves to go to Worlds without having to go to Georgia first. I wouldn't mind seeing Shabani at Georgia, as long as Yazdani still gets to go to worlds.  

Yakhkeshi is just terrible . lost 12-2 to Lomtadze

Emami and Teymouri are in semifinal but didn't face anybody notable.

while in Greco. Nasserpour beat Khedri 7-3 and made it to the semifinal, by beating his direct rival. I think he made the world team for sure. at 64, Saman Abdevali and Delkhani are both in semifinal. Delkhani beat Nourbakhsh in QF. Kavianinejad won his 1st match easily. 2nd opponent apparently didn't show up and he is in semifinal. Mohammad Reza Geraei isn't in the draw for whatever reason

Ehsanpour would have won a medal with Yakhkeshi's draw last year.

It also seems Ehsanpour, Hadi , Karimi and Hassan Yazdani are not going to have any further tournaments before worlds. Only Medved is left and I have not heard anything about them going. Obviously they wont wrestle abroad in September except for worlds. Some of them I can understand but I definitely would have sent Ehsanpour somewhere.

Edited by Shiraz123