wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

Ehsanpour would have won a medal with Yakhkeshi's draw last year.

It also seems Ehsanpour, Hadi , Karimi and Hassan Yazdani are not going to have any further tournaments before worlds. Only Medved is left and I have not heard anything about them going. Obviously they wont wrestle abroad in September except for worlds. Some of them I can understand but I definitely would have sent Ehsanpour somewhere.

Yeah Ehsanpour was absent since the Asian Champs. actually I think that was the only time he wrestled anywhere this year.  right ?!  he is a far better wrestler than Yakhkeshi but also a choker. he could be double world medalist by now.

I think this is the last tournament for both freestyle and Greco teams before the worlds. I focus more on Greco because based on Bana's interview this is somehow their trials. he said only Saeid Abdevali is safe. but the level in Georgia isn't that great, beside the host nation only Azerbaijan brought a good team here.

FS:

61kg: As mentioned Yakheshi lost his QF vs GEO 12-2. 

70kg: Emami won his SF 9-6 vs GEO. Crazy match with crazy scoring too... 

79kg: Teymouri won his SF 11-9 against the Azeri, what a (worrying) match that was lol.

GR:

55kg: Nasserpour won his SF vs India 3-2. 

63kg: Saman Abdevali lost his SF 11-8 to Mamadov (AZE) and Meysam Delkhani lost his SF to another Azeri 7-2. Bit of a disaster at this weight.

72kg: Kayvaninejad won his SF vs Kalachyan (ARM) 9-0. Very dominant display. 

I don't know why Emami makes every single match hard for himself. he could tech that guy. I'm also losing hope on Teymouri. it's hard to imagine him on the podium (even this year where non-Olympic weights will be weaker)

in Greco, I don't know what they are going to do for 63kg. they both lost the SF and will never face each other for the bronze. I think Abdevali jr has a better chance for medal at the worlds but he had dumb mistakes today, he is the weaker version of his brother in standing position. he can make anybody tired but that won't help you if you are weak in defending parterre.

Kavianinejad was good again. I don't know what happened to Reza Geraei. they can't simply ignore him he is the Asian Champion after all.

17 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Gerai 9 - 0 over Poshtam

and his throws were wow. it was like Poshtam is someone from Palau or American Samoa . he is surely more fun to watch than the any other Iranian GR wrestler.

and I agree about Sadeghi. they should ban him from wrestling. it's like banning someone from betting because he is hurting himself lol

Ahmad Mohammadi got injured or maybe faked injury (becuse he was losing), Afzali is going to Nur-Sultan. I really miss Hosseinkhani.

btw we have the worst video review system here. whenever someone asks for a challenge. it takes minimum 5 minutes for them to even find the action !

Edited by wrestfan

Biabani beat the guy who beat Sadeghi so I guess he is going to worlds. I'm sure he wont win a medal but none of them would have. I believe he has Goygereev next so he is probably going to be out himself. The other 65 lost to Bajrang on the other side. 

so now we have a better idea about the Greco team.

60kg Greco, both Beheshti and Nejati made it to the semifinal, to me Nejati (2018 World juniors bronze medalist) is a better option. we also have Mardani in this weight who  missed the tournament because of a late injury.

67kg, Tab beat Javad Rezaei and he is in semifinal now, to be honest he is far from impressive. only if it was possible for one of those 72kg to cut weight. if that's not an option then Tab will grab the spot.

77kg, Ali Geraei beat his main rival Poshtam 9-0. he is in the semifinal and also secured his spot in Nur-Sultan.

87kg,  no sign of Hossein Nouri but Taheri beat a ninja-style Georgian wrestler and went to the semifinal. no idea where is Nouri but he is surely the main candidate unless Taheri impresses hugely.

btw where is this guy Reza Atri? I saw he was crying on the podium after he won the gold in Asia. I hope he didn't retire after that because with the way he was celebrating you would think he won the Olympics and decided to move on. He didn't have trials or anything and is not wrestling anywhere. 

Lol oh boy.

57kg: Sarlak lost his SF vs GEO 5-5 because he conceded a stupid 4 point move in the last 30 seconds when he could have just given up the 2 pt TD.

65kg: Biabani won his SF vs GEO 3-3 thanks to a TD in the last 5 seconds. He doesn't make it easy for himself does he LOL.

74kg: Afzali lost his SF vs GEO 3-2. This tournament has not been encouraging for this weight class.

As for GR, 60kg is a total total disaster. Both Nejati and Beheshti lost their SF (Nejati 10-0 and Beheshti 3-3 - both to KGZ).

At 67kg Tab won his SF vs Mammadov (AZE) 5-0. Good win. 

At 77kg Geraei won his SF 8-0 with a fantastic 5 pt throw in the first 15 seconds. 

At 87kg Taheri won his SF 10-0 in about 90 seconds vs FRA. Mismatch.

Edited by The Genius

Geraei will wrestle world champion Nemes (Serbia) in the final. this will be a very interesting match.

Hamed Tab was better in SF beating Kamran Mammadov. his final opponent is the talented Kyrgyz Amantur Ismailov. Tab is tough but not much technical.

I didn't get who will be in the final against Taheri (Azisbekov from Kyrgyzstan maybe ?!) but in general the level here isn't that great in this weight. I still pick Hossein Nouri.

---------------

Biabani beat the guy who beat Goygereev (I don't know if they even wrestled but based on the table Googoori lost to this guy) far from being impressive but still 65kg isn't our weakest weight but 74kg ! if they send Afzali (and it seems they have no other option) that will be the weakest wrestler for Iran in Worlds in past few years. I know we sent likes of Tahan and Afzali himself few years ago. but the current Afzali is the weakest by far. I was thinking about it and only Abbas Majidi from 1999 Worlds team came to my mind.

29 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Lol oh boy.

57kg: Sarlak lost his SF vs GEO 5-5 because he conceded a stupid 4 point move in the last 30 seconds when he could have just given up the 2 pt TD.

to me it was more a great technique from Gogava. Sarlak was up only 3-1 and that was normal trying to give up a pushout instead of 2pts takedown. didn't work for him though. and those 2 late 1pt pushouts only made it 5-5. it was a good match for Sarlak considering his level.

3 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

btw where is this guy Reza Atri? I saw he was crying on the podium after he won the gold in Asia. I hope he didn't retire after that because with the way he was celebrating you would think he won the Olympics and decided to move on. He didn't have trials or anything and is not wrestling anywhere. 

I think he is fine. they just don't want him to cut weight, they are protecting him from injuries etc like he is Sadulaev lol but maybe they are right after all the next guys after him are Hajaghania and Sarlak

during the trials when they talked to G. Mohammadi. he mentioned few names  Karimi. Ehsanpour and Atri and they are much better than the rest in Iran and there is no need to make them tired or something like that.

Yakkheshi wins Bronze at 61kg after a very fun match where he overturned a big early deficit to be winning 9-8 then his opponent was DQd because of constant fouls.

Emami beat Khabalashvil (GEO) 13-2 in the final and wins Gold at 70kg.

30 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Teymouri lost the final vs GEO 4-2 and wins Silver. Disappointing from Teymouri after his good performance at Yasar Dogu (?) not long ago.

actually he was only good at Takhti Cup which was in his hometown. he is good in some defensive factors but his offense is very disappointing. the bad thing is they treated him like he is untouchable in Iran. maybe we should have trials in this weight too.

btw I'm surprised Emami didn't make this one complicated for himself . he is a world medal caliber wrestler but he makes dumb mistakes sometimes.

I think we already know the world team, the only question is Yazdani at 97 and what they are going to do for 74kg. is there any other option than Afzali ? like waiting for World Juniors results ?! not sending anybody ?!

Nasserpour at 55kg beat Hakhoyan (ARM) 3-2 in the final and wins Gold (GR). 

At 63kg both Delkhani and Abdevali won their Bronze matches 9-0 (GR).

1 minute ago, wrestfan said:

actually he was only good at Takhti Cup which was in his hometown. he is good in some defensive factors but his offense is very disappointing. the bad thing is they treated him like he is untouchable in Iran. maybe we should have trials in this weight too.

btw I'm surprised Emami didn't make this one complicated for himself . he is a world medal caliber wrestler but he makes dumb mistakes sometimes.

I think we already know the world team, the only question is Yazdani at 97 and what they are going to do for 74kg. is there any other option than Afzali ? like waiting for World Juniors results ?! not sending anybody ?!

I thought he looked good at Yasar Dogu but I don't see anything to lose in having trials at 79kg too, but I'm not sure we have anyone better.

If Nokhodi does well maybe he can wrestle Afzali to decide.

Will Reza Yazdani wrestle tomorrow (or not clear)? 

12 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Nasserpour at 55kg beat Hakhoyan (ARM) 3-2 in the final and wins Gold (GR). 

At 63kg both Delkhani and Abdevali won their Bronze matches 9-0 (GR).

I thought he looked good at Yasar Dogu but I don't see anything to lose in having trials at 79kg too, but I'm not sure we have anyone better.

If Nokhodi does well maybe he can wrestle Afzali to decide.

Will Reza Yazdani wrestle tomorrow (or not clear)? 

no, he is not in Tbilisi.

and I'm almost sure there won't be any extra trials. now it will be up to the coaches to decide. if they want Nokhodi. they will simply pick him.

and in Greco, Nasserpour is in for sure. Khedri didn't show up for the bronze which is weird because he wrestled the repechage earlier today. they probably told him something like "no chance for you even if you win the bronze"

63kg will be complicated, equal results for Abdevali and Delkhani. maybe they can ask the organizers for match between these 2 tomorrow. (they did that before once in Poland between Nassiri and Mohammadi) but knowing Bana, I believe he will pick Abdevali without an extra trial.

Edited by wrestfan

Just now, wrestfan said:

no, he is not in Tbilisi.

and I'm almost sure there won't be any extra trials. now it will be up to the coaches to decide. if they want Nokhodi. they will simply pick him.

and in Greco, Nasserpour is in for sure. Khedri didn't show up for the bronze which is weird because he wrestled the repechage earlier today. they problem told him something like "no chance for you even if you win the bronze"

63kg will be complicated, equal results for Abdevali and Delkhani. maybe they can ask the organizers for match between these 2 tomorrow. (they did that before once in Poland between Nassiri and Mohammadi) but knowing Bana, I believe he will pick Abdevali without an extra trial.

So Shabani will be there instead, or no one? Reza beat Shabani recently so maybe he thinks why should I wrestle and risk injury at my age when someone like Atri is safe. 

Well Afzali is a total waste of time so if Nokhodi does well I would say at least give him a chance to experience worlds.  

At 63kg they are both useless but Delkhani is young so why not send the younger one since neither has a chance at medal or did better than the other here?

I think in order to be successful at the senior level, Iran needs to do the following;

1. Face the fact that Iran has fallen behind its arch competitors, Russia and US at the seniors level.
  2. Invest in and find a way to better develop the cadet and junior talents into relevant senior competitors
  3. Find a way to make wrestling popular again outside of Mazandaran.  An disproportional number of Iran's wrestlers are from Mazandaran (or one village in Mazandaran, or one family in one village in Mazandaran :)  )  Kudos to Mazandaran for develop such great talents, but I remember when Khorasan, Kermanshah, Azerbajan were competitive to Mazandaran, they need to find a way to develop talents in those regions too.

Just now, The Genius said:

So Shabani will be there instead, or no one? Reza beat Shabani recently so maybe he thinks why should I wrestle and risk injury at my age when someone like Atri is safe. 

Well Afzali is a total waste of time so if Nokhodi does well I would say at least give him a chance to experience worlds.  

At 63kg they are both useless but Delkhani is young so why not send the younger one since neither has a chance at medal or did better than the other here?

nobody for Iran in this weight.

they didn't want to send Yazdani here to decide about picking him or not. that's just their preparation plan for him (and also Teymouri) they think Ehsanpour, Karimi and Atri are experienced enough and they don't need more. but Yazdani needs more because of his long absence. it also has something to do with their body weight. but now "not listening" to the coach, there is a chance for him to face disciplinary actions. I remember back in 2010 he missed the Worlds for more or less the same reason.  I can't remember the details but it was about sending the whole team to theater which he refused.

and i'm not agree with you about "no chance for medal at 63 Greco) non Olympic weights will be weaker this year. most of better wrestlers will move to Olympic weights for Olympic qualification and Saman Abdevali is good to beat anybody in the world in standing position. the problem is he is one dimensional, if he receives the first caution. there is a good chance for him to lose big points in parterre.