wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

8 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

nobody for Iran in this weight.

they didn't want to send Yazdani here to decide about picking him or not. that's just their preparation plan for him (and also Teymouri) they think Ehsanpour, Karimi and Atri are experienced enough and they don't need more. but Yazdani needs more because of his long absence. it also has something to do with their body weight. but now "not listening" to the coach, there is a chance for him to face disciplinary actions. I remember back in 2010 he missed the Worlds for more or less the same reason.  I can't remember the details but it was about sending the whole team to theater which he refused.

and i'm not agree with you about "no chance for medal at 63 Greco) non Olympic weights will be weaker this year. most of better wrestlers will move to Olympic weights for Olympic qualification and Saman Abdevali is good to beat anybody in the world in standing position. the problem is he is one dimensional, if he receives the first caution. there is a good chance for him to lose big points in parterre. 

Yazdani deserves to go to worlds whatever he does from now in my opinion. Coach should not place his feelings above this, but Yazdani does not make it easy for himself. 

Fair enough, we will see if he can last enough matches without receiving first caution to get a medal. But on this indication I do not expect anything from him. Do you know if Maryanyan be at 63kg or 67kg this year?

19 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Yazdani deserves to go to worlds whatever he does from now in my opinion. Coach should not place his feelings above this, but Yazdani does not make it easy for himself. 

Fair enough, we will see if he can last enough matches without receiving first caution to get a medal. But on this indication I do not expect anything from him. Do you know if Maryanyan be at 63kg or 67kg this year?

the trial system in Iran is not like USA. in USA if you win the trials. you are going to the worlds no matter what. in Iran they always say "winning the trials is not enough" officially they will announce the world team 2 weeks before the tournament based on "trials, international competitions and disciplinary records" .I don't know what's the english word for "Nazme ordooei" and you should remember they gave Yazdani a big advantage in first place for the trials. he received a bye into the final and had to wrestle just once.

btw I have to say. this is just my guess about Yazdani. just my own guess based on previous experiences. no official word yet.

no idea about Russia GR team. but they are adopting VERY WELL with the current rules. whoever they send will be a gold medal candidate.

29 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

the trial system in Iran is not like USA. in USA if you win the trials. you are going to the worlds no matter what. in Iran they always say "winning the trials is not enough" officially they will announce the world team 2 weeks before the tournament based on "trials, international competitions and disciplinary records" .I don't know what's the english word for "Nazme ordooei" and you should remember they gave Yazdani a big advantage in first place for the trials. he received a bye into the final and had to wrestle just once.

btw I have to say. this is just my guess about Yazdani. just my own guess based on previous experiences. no official word yet.

no idea about Russia GR team. but they are adopting VERY WELL with the current rules. whoever they send will be a gold medal candidate.

something like "training discipline" haha but I know what you mean but I meant that I prefer the trial system. If they gave Yazdani an advantage it's because they think he's better, so that's good news (I am biased and want to see him at worlds regardless).

Edited by The Genius

Ghasempour is in the final and looks very good. Couldn't tell who he will wrestle in the final.

He beat Aminashvili (GEO) in the QF 11-1 (Aminashvili won Bronze at 2018 European Champs).

Then he beat 2019 Junior European Champ Maisuradze (GEO) 12-1 in the SF (I couldn't tell if they had it 8-1 or 12-1, but it was 12-1). 

Edited by The Genius

GR:

55kg: Nasserpour won Gold.

60kg: Nejati and Beheshti both won Bronze. Neither were great but Beheshti was less bad.

63kg: Delkhani and Abdevali both won Bronze.

67kg: Hamed Tab won Gold (beating Ismailov KGZ 3-0). Rezaei won Bronze but doesn't matter because he lost to Tab.

72kg: Kavianinejad won Gold. 

77kg: Geraei didn't show up and forfeited his final vs Nemes. Very disappointing, I was looking forward to that match. But he beat Poshtam so mission accomplished for him. Poshtam won Bronze. 

87kg: Taheri won Gold (beat Khachidze (never heard of him) 4-0 in the final). Time for him to replace Nouri (who is 29 years old)?

97kg: Saravi is in the final. Heidari lost 5-1 in the first round (to Nuriyez AZE). 

130kg: Ghourehjili was pinned in the QF. Another disappointing display from him. Nazari lost in first round to Ghourehjili. Disaster. 

Edited by The Genius

4 minutes ago, The Genius said:

GR:

55kg: Nasserpour won Gold.

60kg: Nejati and Beheshti both won Bronze. Neither were great but Beheshti was less bad.

63kg: Delkhani and Abdevali both won Bronze.

67kg: Rezaei won Bronze but doesn't matter because he lost to Tab. Tab won Gold (beating Ismailov KGZ 3-0). 

72kg: Kavianinejad won Gold. 

77kg: Geraei didn't show up and forfeited his final vs Nemes. Very disappointing, I was looking forward to that match. Poshtam won Bronze. 

87kg: Taheri is in the final.

97kg: Saravi is in the final.

130kg: Ghourehjili was pinned in the QF. Another disappointing display from him. Haven't seen Nazari, not sure he's here?

Nazari lost to Ghourehjili in the first round .he was even worst. no chance in this weight.

I'm also disappointed about 77kg final. I was looking forward for that final. but Geraei probably had no reason to wrestle after proving himself by beating Poshtam like that.

Tab looked OK. he deserved the spot I guess. Taheri also won the gold. now it will be hard to simply send Nouri.

4 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Nazari lost to Ghourehjili in the first round .he was even worst. no chance in this weight.

I'm also disappointed about 77kg final. I was looking forward for that final. but Geraei probably had no reason to wrestle after proving himself by beating Poshtam like that.

Tab looked OK. he deserved the spot I guess. Taheri also won the gold. now it will be hard to simply send Nouri.

Do you know anything about the Georgian Khachidze that Taheri beat in the final? (There is another Georgian Khachidze that Sarlak just teched in the Bronze match at 57kg.) The French guy Taheri destroyed won Bronze convincingly, so maybe he wasn't a total bum after all.

3 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Do you know anything about the Georgian Khachidze that Taheri beat in the final? (There is another Georgian Khachidze that Sarlak just teched in the Bronze match at 57kg.) The French guy Taheri destroyed won Bronze convincingly, so maybe he wasn't a total bum after all.

nope . the best Georgian in this weight didn't wrestle here and in general the level wasn't great in this weight but Taheri was too dominant. still I think Nouri will go the Worlds.

Afzali at 74kg just won Bronze with a great and fast win over Adam Khasiev (RUS). He lost his SF by a very small margin too so he definitely deserves the spot over Mohammadi. 

Edited by The Genius

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

Go to 9:03:00 here to watch his final yesterday (if that's what you mean)

Wow, I was impressed.

When he was up 5-0, I was thinking "His par Terre is really good, but he needs to show me something standing up"  Then he made that great throw.

Here is an interview with him after he won the Junior's in 2018 Interview after winning the Junior championship  he says "thank you so much" in English at the very end :)

Saravi won the gold (as well as Ghasempour in FS) and he has my vote for taking the spot over Aliyari (not that my vote matters Lol) he was good for his first tournament in the new weight and I think he will be the future in this weight even if he fails this year.

if it was up to me I would send this team to the Worlds in Greco

55 Nasserpour, 60 Nejati (didn't see Mardani in a while, if he is 100% he is my pick but apparently he is not), 63 Saman Abdevali, 67 Tab, 72, Kavianinejad, 77 Ali Geraei, 82 Saeid Abdevali, 87 Nouri, 97 Saravi, 130 Ghasemi-Monjazi

and in freestyle (almost all of them are obvious picks though)

57 Atri, 61 Ehsanpour, 65 Biabani, 70 Emami, 74 nobody (if they really have to send someone, Nokhodi), 79 Teymouri, 86 H. Yazdani, 92 Karimi 97 R. Yazdani (hard pick between him and Shaabani) and 125 Hadi

3 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Saravi won the gold (as well as Ghasempour in FS) and he has my vote for taking the spot over Aliyari (not that my vote matters Lol) he was good for his first tournament in the new weight and I think he will be the future in this weight even if he fails this year.

if it was up to me I would send this team to the Worlds in Greco

55 Nasserpour, 60 Nejati (didn't see Mardani in a while, if he is 100% he is my pick but apparently he is not), 63 Saman Abdevali, 67 Tab, 72, Kavianinejad, 77 Ali Geraei, 82 Saeid Abdevali, 87 Nouri, 97 Saravi, 130 Ghasemi-Monjazi

and in freestyle (almost all of them are obvious picks though)

57 Atri, 61 Ehsanpour, 65 Biabani, 70 Emami, 74 nobody (if they really have to send someone, Nokhodi), 79 Teymouri, 86 H. Yazdani, 92 Karimi 97 R. Yazdani (hard pick between him and Shaabani) and 125 Hadi

Saravi was impressive and is still very young (20?) and just moved up to 97kg from 86kg and looks good already. But Aliyari is 30 which is not bad for that kind of weight class in GR and won his first world medal last year, so I think he deserves to be in the team still. Send Saravi to more senior tournaments first then for sure he can be in the guy in the future. 

I agree with Nasserpour, he's really young as well but he deserves it. 

Why Nejati instead of Beheshti!? Beheshti only lost on criteria, Nejati was teched. 

Also why Nokhodi over Afzali? Afzali only lost his SF 3-2 and won all his other matches. 

Ghasempour is just too good. Do you know anything about Magomedsaid (AZE) his opponent in the final? He doesn't seem to be their #1 at 86kg. I feel sorry for Ghasempour because even though he is young (22?) Yazdani is still quite young as well (25). I hope Ghasempour can be sent to more tournaments like Yasar Dogu and Medved (and U23 World Champs?) next year. 

47 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Saravi was impressive and is still very young (20?) and just moved up to 97kg from 86kg and looks good already. But Aliyari is 30 which is not bad for that kind of weight class in GR and won his first world medal last year, so I think he deserves to be in the team still. Send Saravi to more senior tournaments first then for sure he can be in the guy in the future. 

I agree with Nasserpour, he's really young as well but he deserves it. 

Why Nejati instead of Beheshti!? Beheshti only lost on criteria, Nejati was teched. 

Also why Nokhodi over Afzali? Afzali only lost his SF 3-2 and won all his other matches. 

Ghasempour is just too good. Do you know anything about Magomedsaid (AZE) his opponent in the final? He doesn't seem to be their #1 at 86kg. I feel sorry for Ghasempour because even though he is young (22?) Yazdani is still quite young as well (25). I hope Ghasempour can be sent to more tournaments like Yasar Dogu and Medved (and U23 World Champs?) next year. 

based on what Aliyari deserves it more ? because he got lucky a year ago that Aleksanyan withdrew from the bronze medal match ? and as far as I know he only wrestled once since then, in Asian Championships where he was terrible and narrowly won the bronze and (if I'm not wrong) lost to the same Kyrgyz guy Saravi beat here.

Beheshti is around since forever and never impressed. obviously in equal situation I go with the younger guy. and you can't judge by comparing their results against different wrestlers, Nejati won the Taurlykhanov tournament in Kazakhstan this year. I give him the advantage. even though there is no realistic chance for any of them to win a medal but at least Nejati is 20 and his senior career is just started.

why Nokhodi ? because Afzali sucks big time. beating 3rd-4th tier wrestlers doesn't change it. actually Nokhodi isn't any better but at least we can say we give the chance to a very young wrestler. even though I prefer sending nobody to be honest.

Ghasempour won the U23 trials , I assume he is going to that. no I didn't know his final opponent.

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

based on what Aliyari deserves it more ? because he got lucky a year ago that Aleksanyan withdrew from the bronze medal match ? and as far as I know he only wrestled once since then, in Asian Championships where he was terrible and narrowly won the bronze and (if I'm not wrong) lost to the same Kyrgyz guy Saravi beat here.

Beheshti is around since forever and never impressed. obviously in equal situation I go with the younger guy. and you can't judge by comparing their results against different wrestlers, Nejati won the Taurlykhanov tournament in Kazakhstan this year. I give him the advantage. even though there is no realistic chance for any of them to win a medal but at least Nejati is 20 and his senior career is just started.

why Nokhodi ? because Afzali sucks big time. beating 3rd-4th tier wrestlers doesn't change it. actually Nokhodi isn't any better but at least we can say we give the chance to a very young wrestler. even though I prefer sending nobody to be honest.

Ghasempour won the U23 trials , I assume he is going to that. no I didn't know his final opponent.

Aliyari was lucky about that you're right, but he still beat good guys. But I also wouldn't mind sending the younger guys to get them good experience and see where they are, I just prefer to send them to more international tournaments first before going from low competition tournaments straight to worlds. 

Do you know who else Iran will send to U23 worlds? Thanks

4 hours ago, The Genius said:

Aliyari was lucky about that you're right, but he still beat good guys. But I also wouldn't mind sending the younger guys to get them good experience and see where they are, I just prefer to send them to more international tournaments first before going from low competition tournaments straight to worlds. 

Do you know who else Iran will send to U23 worlds? Thanks

he beat some average/good guys "last year", and he was terrible since then and he is also a bit injured. another reason to pick Saravi over him.

they had U23 trial 20 days ago, this is the list of trial winners, I think they will send the same team more or less. but of course in Iran winning the trials doesn't guarantee you the spot.

Alireza Sarlak 57, Bagher Yakhkeshi 61, Abolfazl Hajipour 65, Amir Reza Akbarzadeh 70, Nima Eshfaghi 74, Ali Savadkuhi 79, Kamran Ghasempour 86, Hossein Shahbazi 92, Danial Shariati 97, Mehdi Hashemi 125

3 hours ago, wrestfan said:

he beat some average/good guys "last year", and he was terrible since then and he is also a bit injured. another reason to pick Saravi over him.

they had U23 trial 20 days ago, this is the list of trial winners, I think they will send the same team more or less. but of course in Iran winning the trials doesn't guarantee you the spot.

Alireza Sarlak 57, Bagher Yakhkeshi 61, Abolfazl Hajipour 65, Amir Reza Akbarzadeh 70, Nima Eshfaghi 74, Ali Savadkuhi 79, Kamran Ghasempour 86, Hossein Shahbazi 92, Danial Shariati 97, Mehdi Hashemi 125

The U23 team seems quite weak compared to the cadet/junior team. I guess that's where the current chain of success ends. 

I saw Hajipour's Bronze medal match by accident, I had never heard of him before and I didn't even know he was at Tbilisi, but he seemed pretty good. Interesting to see how he does at u23.