wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

2 hours ago, Coach_J said:

Please forgive me if I missed it, but what happened with Yazdani at 97 kilos FS?  I was under the impression he won the position.  Is he injured?  Again, apologies if this was posted.

Coach J, I am afraid I will have to reprimand you for not reading every post on this thread :)

Reza Yazdani took himself out, because he was in poor shape due to constant injuries.

Also, having three Yazdani's on the team was confusing some of the fans on this thread, so as a gesture of friendship to the American fans,  the Iranian wrestling federation is limiting the number of wrestlers by the same name to just two per wrestling style

Edited by irani

54 minutes ago, irani said:

Coach J, I am afraid I will have to reprimand you for not reading every post on this thread :)

Reza Yazdani took himself out, because he was in poor shape due to constant injuries.

Also, having three Yazdani's on the team was confusing some of the fans on this thread, so as a gesture of friendship to the American fans,  the Iranian wrestling federation is limiting the number of wrestlers by the same name to just two per wrestling style

A wise move on the Federation's part!  

2 hours ago, irani said:

We appreciate it

Does anyone have a breakdown of the full Iranian freestyle team? Like the credentials for each, maybe a sentence or two about their recent wins/losses, etc?

Im familiar with the veteran members but some of the others I only know about from the last few pages in this thread (trial results mostly). 

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Does anyone have a breakdown of the full Iranian freestyle team? Like the credentials for each, maybe a sentence or two about their recent wins/losses, etc?

Im familiar with the veteran members but some of the others I only know about from the last few pages in this thread (trial results mostly). 

@wrestfan is best for this but I'll add the limited knowledge I have about two of them:

97kg Shabani: Won Bronze at 2018 U23 Champs. He's young and only just broke onto the senior scene in 2019. Won Silver at Yasar Dogu 2019, teched Alborov before losing 2-1 to Snyder in the final. Lost 5-3 to Reza Yazdani in trials in June 2019 (but had to wrestle one more match than Yazdani). Outside shot at a Bronze after his impressive performance at Yasar Dogu.  

125kg Mohebbi: 2x Asian Championship Gold (2017 and 2019, beat Deng (CHN) in the final in 2019). 2017 Worlds went 2-1 and lost to Gwiz 5-4 in the QF. Beat 2016 Russian Nationals Champ Magomedov 5-5 in late 2018. Lost 4-2 to first choice at 125kg Parviz Hadi in national trials in June 2019. In 2019 Yasar Dogu got teched by Taha and lost 10-1 to Ligeti in the Bronze match. Generally regarded as hopeless. 

17 hours ago, The Genius said:

@wrestfan is best for this but I'll add the limited knowledge I have about two of them:

97kg Shabani: Won Bronze at 2018 U23 Champs. He's young and only just broke onto the senior scene in 2019. Won Silver at Yasar Dogu 2019, teched Alborov before losing 2-1 to Snyder in the final. Lost 5-3 to Reza Yazdani in trials in June 2019 (but had to wrestle one more match than Yazdani). Outside shot at a Bronze after his impressive performance at Yasar Dogu.  

125kg Mohebbi: 2x Asian Championship Gold (2017 and 2019, beat Deng (CHN) in the final in 2019). 2017 Worlds went 2-1 and lost to Gwiz 5-4 in the QF. Beat 2016 Russian Nationals Champ Magomedov 5-5 in late 2018. Lost 4-2 to first choice at 125kg Parviz Hadi in national trials in June 2019. In 2019 Yasar Dogu got teched by Taha and lost 10-1 to Ligeti in the Bronze match. Generally regarded as hopeless. 

That is a good summary

Also, the younger Yazdani, at 65 kg, took second in world cadet in 2015, and silver again in Asian u23 in March.

He did not do well in the Sassari tournament in couple of months ago.

In Summary, Iran's only legitimate chances are with Hassan Yazdani, Karimi, and an outside shot with Shabani. 

Edited by irani

86kg: Hassan Yazdani. Iran's best wrestler ATM. 2014 Junior Worlds Champion (66kg). World Silver in 2015 at 70kg, Olympic Gold at 74kg in 2016, World Gold in 2017 at 86kg and World Bronze in 2018 at 86kg (losing only to David Taylor in the first round). Beats anyone not called Taylor and strong favourite for Gold this year as a result of DT's injury. 

92kg: Alireza Karimi. 2014 Junior Worlds Champion (84kg). 2x World Bronze medalist (2015 at 86kg and 2018 at 92kg). 3x Asian Champ. Forced up to 92kg because of Yazdani at 86kg (and at the time Sadulaev). Generally a top contender at 92kg but is 0-2 or 0-3 vs Cox so whether he gets Silver/Bronze will probably depend on the seeding: in 2018 they were on the same side of the draw so Karimi got Bronze, this year they will be on separate brackets so more chance of a Silver. 

Edited by The Genius

Could Mohebi win  a medal at 97 if UWW let him wrestle without weighing in? I seriously doubt it even with the size advantage. Snyder and Sadulaev definitely beat him. I remember when Baitsaev beat him in Iran. 

Edited by Shiraz123

70kg: Emami. Pretty good. 2019 Asian Bronze. Lost in first round at 2018 Worlds on criteria. Won Gold at the Georgian tournament a few weeks ago so hopefully he's on form, but he's quite inconsistent and doesn't have much chance against the top contenders here. 

74kg: Afzali. Hopeless. Asian Champ a long time ago and went to Worlds for Iran in 2015 (?) but DNP. Went to the Georgian tournament a few weeks ago and won Bronze, beat Khasiev (RUS).

79kg: Teymouri. 2019 Asian Champ Gold (beat Rana in the final). 2019 Yasar Dogu Bronze (lost 4-0 to Dieringer then beat Abakarov (AZE) for Bronze). Then went to a tournament in Georgia a few weeks ago and narrowly won his SF 11-9 then lost the final to some unknown Georgian 4-2 so that was very disappointing and worrying. 

Edited by The Genius

On 9/9/2019 at 4:43 AM, The Genius said:

After watching that match I came to the conclusion that Shabani could take out Snyder and give Sadulaev a great match on his best day. The kid is a gamer, seems to have a good motor and is STRONG.  Look for great things from him, if not this year, certainly in the Olympics.

11 minutes ago, pa in taiwan said:

After watching that match I came to the conclusion that Shabani could take out Snyder and give Sadulaev a great match on his best day. The kid is a gamer, seems to have a good motor and is STRONG.  Look for great things from him, if not this year, certainly in the Olympics.

I think Snyder controlled that match and Shabani was deliberately very defensive for most of the match to keep it close. But teching Alborov was very impressive so I'm very interested to see how he does at worlds and if he continues to improve who knows how 2020 goes...

13 hours ago, The Genius said:

I think Snyder controlled that match and Shabani was deliberately very defensive for most of the match to keep it close. But teching Alborov was very impressive so I'm very interested to see how he does at worlds and if he continues to improve who knows how 2020 goes...

That's a pretty fair assessment of the match. I would point out that Shabani did NOT get pushed around by Snyder. He stayed in the center and maintained good position throughout. Besides that first takedown, they were pretty even. He was unable to create action late in the match, which I'm sure was a huge learning experience for him. It's no use wrestling defensively to keep it close if you fail to create the action necessary to win. He will open up his offense earlier if he meets Snyder again this month. 

1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

I have not paid much attention to the rankings but I doubt he's seeded. Where did you see that? 

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

Afzali is not seeded third (Sidakov is)... I think you mean Emami at 70kg?

I was wrong!!  He was seeded 3 in 2014!!

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2014/August/26/World-Championships-preview-in-freestyle-wrestling-at-74-kg

Ok after watching a bunch of film and reading through your descriptions (thanks), I think:

57 - dnp but might qualify the weight. Depends on draw. 

61 - dnp but man this weight is terrible. Maybe bronze. I’d say he is in a similar spot to USAs Graff - probably won’t medal but in a weak weight could upset 1 guy and medal  

65 - dnp unfortunately. I like him

70 - dnp. Good enough to medal but he seems to lose to guys he is better than. Could medal. Weight isn’t that weak 

74 - what are you doing here?! You must have a better option. Dnp. Sorry guys. May not qualify for the Olympics at all 

79 - bronze. Wish he wasn’t on the same side as Dake. I think he would beat Hasanov again. 

86 - gold. Very good weight but not good enough to beat Yazdani. Rooting for him too. We could very well end up with Taylor vs Yazdani 2020 Olympic final  

97 - bronze. There aren’t many guys here and he can beat anyone but Snyder or Sadulaev at his best. 

285 - weight is too strong. Dnp. Maybe qualify the weight if he is in shape, but I don’t think he is...

So overall, 3-4 medals, maybe 70-80 points if you get a few others to place 5th. That would’ve been good enough for 4th last year. 

Other teams besides USA and Russia are weak, at least based on expectations. Iran could place 3rd. Japan, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Turkey could place as high as 3rd as well. It will be fun to watch!

16 hours ago, pa in taiwan said:

That's a pretty fair assessment of the match. I would point out that Shabani did NOT get pushed around by Snyder. He stayed in the center and maintained good position throughout. Besides that first takedown, they were pretty even. He was unable to create action late in the match, which I'm sure was a huge learning experience for him. It's no use wrestling defensively to keep it close if you fail to create the action necessary to win. He will open up his offense earlier if he meets Snyder again this month. 

Iran has a young guy that just won his 2nd Jr World title at 97 kg this year (92 kg in 18) named Abbas Foroutanrami.  He was very dominant in both his Jr world triumphs - Has he competed on the senior level in Iran ?  How do you think he could do against Shabani or any of the top guys internationally?  I was very impressed watching him at the Jrs tournaments.

28 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Iran has a young guy that just won his 2nd Jr World title at 97 kg this year (92 kg in 18) named Abbas Foroutanrami.  He was very dominant in both his Jr world triumphs - Has he competed on the senior level in Iran ?  How do you think he could do against Shabani or any of the top guys internationally?  I was very impressed watching him at the Jrs tournaments.

when Yazdani pulled out, they considered two options, one of them was Foroutan but they finally decided to send Shaabani.

Foroutan lost to the guy (Talebi at Sassari) who lost to Shaabani in first round of trials. so I guess this is fair to say at least right now Shaabani is a better option. but 97kg will be interesting for Iran next year, Yazdani claims he will come back next year, there will be him, Foroutan , Shaabani, Talebi and also Mohammad Hossein Mohammadian who will return after 4 years suspension, and probably Alireza Karimi who will move up from 92kg. none of these guys will beat Sadullaev but it will be interesting to have a close competition with 5-6 candidates in the same level.

On 9/2/2019 at 4:17 PM, The Genius said:

He is a victim because he conspired with IJF president to testify against his country to facilitate leaving Iran and living in Germany? Then he goes on Instagram and finds the Israeli and comments "congratulations champion". He is playing a game and I am certainly not crying any tears for him. Maybe he is trying to get a reaction from Iran to justify having to participate as a refugee! 

There is a tension in your thesis: on one hand you say IJF take laissez faire approach and don't intervene much but on other hand you say they planned this entire thing.

Either way, their actions are very suspicious and clearly political - this president clearly has an agenda and Mollaei is not a victim for giving ammunition to this agenda (but of course all Iranian athletes are a victim to illegal US sanctions and I felt bad for Karimi when he had a similar problem, but here I am less sympathetic). 

But I don't care about Judo as a sport and never watched it in my life, so we can agree to disagree :-).

Here is a two step solution if Iran does not want to be banned.

1. Send an Iranian athlete to a competition in which Israeli athletes are competing.

2. Have that Iranian athlete compete against the Israeli.  

This would prove that they have in fact changed their policy as promised.  Until they do this, conspiracy theories about the IJF or IOC or whoever plotting to bring down Iran are ludicrous, because Iran has done nothing to demonstrate that their policy barring competition against Israel has changed.  Btw, I wouldn't be surprised if a blanket IOC ban of Iranian athletes eventually takes place even if an infraction takes place in Judo.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Final FS predictions:

57kg: Atri DNP (possibly most stacked division of all this year with Atli/Uguev/Takahashi/Sanayev/Amiraslanov !!).

61kg: Ehsanpour DNP (Bonne/Idrisov/Hamaguchi make it tough, with some luck he can get a Bronze though).

65kg: Amir Yazdani DNP (strong division with Punia/Otoguru/Rashidov/Aliyev).

70kg: Emami BRONZE (weak division but Emami's seeded with Kaipanov who teched him recently)

74kg: Afzali DNP (stacked with JB Chamizo Sidakov)

79kg: Teymouri BRONZE (weak division but he's seeded with Dake, I think his bracket should be weak enough for him to get Bronze though)

86kg: Yazdani GOLD (Naifonov not seeded could make it interesting and the Russians say Naifonov has improved a lot, but Yazdani should win regardless)

92kg: Karimi SILVER (seeded 2nd so avoids Cox until final, very weak division)

97kg: Shabani BRONZE (weak outside out of the top 2, so Shabani can get Bronze and good senior experience)

125kg: Mohebbi DNP (weak division outside of the top 2, Mohebbi is not very good but has a decent chance vs Deng/Gwiz for Bronze) 

Total: 5 medals (1G, 1S, 3B). Big improvement on last year at least, but maybe I'm being too optimistic!

Edited by The Genius

GR Predictions:

55kg: Nasserpour is a great prospect and improving every time. Not very stacked here (AZE and RUS are the two to avoid and RUS isn't seeded), so Nasserpour could get a medal if he has some luck. Bronze.

60kg is quite strong, DNP.

63kg: Not very strong category but Delkani is not very good, so DNP.

67kg is STACKED, Tab DNP.

72kg: Not very deep this year with Stabler moving down, lets see what young Kavianinejad can do! Fancy him to get a Bronze, but this is just for experience for him as it is for Nasserpour. Bronze.

77kg: Stacked with Kim Nemes Lorincz and Vlasov... DNP. 

82kg: Abdevali is seeded third and it's a very weak category this year, I think Abdevali could get a Silver. 

87kg is stacked, Taheri DNP.

97kg: Strong division with Evloev and Aleksanyan, Saravi DNP.

130kg: DNP. 

Total: only 3 chances for a medal in my opinion (1S, 2B). Am I being too pessimistic? 

Edited by The Genius

21 hours ago, The Genius said:

Final FS predictions:

57kg: Atri DNP (possibly most stacked division of all this year with Atli/Uguev/Takahashi/Sanayev/Amiraslanov !!).

61kg: Ehsanpour DNP (Bonne/Idrisov/Hamaguchi make it tough, with some luck he can get a Bronze though).

65kg: Amir Yazdani DNP (strong division with Punia/Otoguru/Rashidov/Aliyev).

70kg: Emami BRONZE (weak division but Emami's seeded with Kaipanov who teched him recently)

74kg: Afzali DNP (stacked with JB Chamizo Sidakov)

79kg: Teymouri BRONZE (weak division but he's seeded with Dake, I think his bracket should be weak enough for him to get Bronze though)

86kg: Yazdani GOLD (Naifonov not seeded could make it interesting and the Russians say Naifonov has improved a lot, but Yazdani should win regardless)

92kg: Karimi SILVER (seeded 2nd so avoids Cox until final, very weak division)

97kg: Shabani BRONZE (weak outside out of the top 2, so Shabani can get Bronze and good senior experience)

125kg: Mohebbi DNP (weak division outside of the top 2, Mohebbi is not very good but has a decent chance vs Deng/Gwiz for Bronze) 

Total: 5 medals (1G, 1S, 3B). Big improvement on last year at least, but maybe I'm being too optimistic!

This performance would almost certainly put Iran in 3rd place in freestyle. Would be very impressive seeing as the lineup this year is not good