wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

First GR draws are out for 55kg, 63kg, 72kg and 82kg.

At 55kg Nasserpour got unlucky with unseeded Russian being on his side of the bracket. He also faces the number #2 seed Bakhromov (UZB) in the 1/8 round if he gets past Kilic (TUR) in the Q round. That couldn't have gone much worse for him.

At 63kg it gets much much worse though, Delkhani is matched against #1 seed Maryanyan in the first round! 

At 72kg Kavianinejad is up against Lomadze (GEO) in the Q round (European Bronze 2018) and he'll likely face #2 Korpasi (HUN) in the QF if he makes it. 

At 82kg the draw was a joke because Manukyan (2017 Gold + 2018 Bronze) and Russia were both unseeded. Somehow they both ended up along with the #2 + #3 seeds on Abdevali's side of the bracket. Big blow for Abdevali's chances. 

Talk about a baptism of fire...

Edited by The Genius

16 minutes ago, The Genius said:

At 55kg Nasserpour got unlucky with unseeded Russian being on his side of the bracket. He also faces the number #2 seed Bakhromov (UZB) in the 1/8 round if he gets past Kilic (TUR) in the Q round. That couldn't have gone much worse for him.

At 63kg it gets much much worse though, Delkhani is matched against #1 seed Maryanyan in the first round! 

At 72kg Kavianinejad is up against Lomadze (GEO) in the Q round (European Bronze 2018) and he'll likely face #2 Korpasi (HUN) in the QF if he makes it. 

At 82kg the draw was a joke because Manukyan (2017 Gold + 2018 Bronze) and Russia were both unseeded. Somehow they both ended up along with the #2 + #3 seeds on Abdevali's side of the bracket. Big blow for Abdevali's chances. 

Wow these are terrible draws. 

47 minutes ago, The Genius said:

If someone said can you design a bad draw for these guys, I don't think I could come up with anything worse.

2 hours ago, irani said:

If someone said can you design a bad draw for these guys, I don't think I could come up with anything worse.

Delkhani was never going to medal anyway so that's not an issue (he'll likely get a shot at the repechage at least).

Even Kaviani had bad luck because he's in the same bracket as Korpasi (HUN), who is the Gold favourite, and Mantsigov (RUS) - who won the European Championships 2019 and in Worlds last year only lost to Staebler on criteria then Chunayev 4-3. He will have to beat one of Mantsigov or Korpasi to get a medal, that's a big ask and probably too much to ask for him at this stage of his career making his senior worlds debut. So I probably have to adjust my prediction here for Kaviani to not medal.

Abdevali avoids Kus (TUR) and there's no Bacsi this year, so that's good. But unfortunately he'll have to beat one of Manukyan (ARM) and Akiev (RUS) to get a medal. Manukyan beat Abdevali last year 4-1 in the Bronze match. Luckily, Akiev is a newcomer and Abdevali can beat him in my opinion, so I adjust my prediction here to a Bronze for Abdevali. 

Edited by The Genius

9 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Delkhani was never going to medal anyway so that's not an issue (he'll likely get a shot at the repechage at least).

Even Kaviani had bad luck because he's in the same bracket as Korpasi (HUN), who is the Gold favourite, and Mantsigov (RUS) - who won the European Championships 2019 and in Worlds last year only lost to Staebler on criteria then Chunayev 4-3. He will have to beat one of Mantsigov or Korpasi to get a medal, that's a big ask and probably too much to ask for him at this stage of his career making his senior worlds debut.

That is too bad, I have really high hopes for Kaviani.  I was hoping that he would medal in the worlds, continue to improve, and be a contender for gold in the Olympics.

Let's hope he will surprise us

On 7/31/2019 at 10:44 AM, fightingsioux said:

Exactly! As in all combat sports, don't leave it to the judges.

Completely off the topic-- I'm a retired English teacher, so forgive me for this: while "violent agreement" is grammatically correct, a more standard way of saying it would be "strong agreement." :-)

Thanks.  That was my attempt at humor :)

On 9/12/2019 at 7:18 AM, The Genius said:

Final FS predictions:

57kg: Atri DNP (possibly most stacked division of all this year with Atli/Uguev/Takahashi/Sanayev/Amiraslanov !!).

61kg: Ehsanpour DNP (Bonne/Idrisov/Hamaguchi make it tough, with some luck he can get a Bronze though).

65kg: Amir Yazdani DNP (strong division with Punia/Otoguru/Rashidov/Aliyev).

70kg: Emami BRONZE (weak division but Emami's seeded with Kaipanov who teched him recently)

74kg: Afzali DNP (stacked with JB Chamizo Sidakov)

79kg: Teymouri BRONZE (weak division but he's seeded with Dake, I think his bracket should be weak enough for him to get Bronze though)

86kg: Yazdani GOLD (Naifonov not seeded could make it interesting and the Russians say Naifonov has improved a lot, but Yazdani should win regardless)

92kg: Karimi SILVER (seeded 2nd so avoids Cox until final, very weak division)

97kg: Shabani BRONZE (weak outside out of the top 2, so Shabani can get Bronze and good senior experience)

125kg: Mohebbi DNP (weak division outside of the top 2, Mohebbi is not very good but has a decent chance vs Deng/Gwiz for Bronze) 

Total: 5 medals (1G, 1S, 3B). Big improvement on last year at least, but maybe I'm being too optimistic!

Could you please share your predictions for GR as well?

4 minutes ago, irani said:

Could you please share your predictions for GR as well?

They are in the post below the FS predictions :-) 

However, that was before the draws! I predicted potential medals at 3 weight classes (Nasserpour, Kaviani and Abdevali) - and we saw what the draws for those 3 were today... I think Nasserpour can still get Bronze if he performs well, Kaviani from Bronze to no medal unfortunately, and Abdevali from Silver to Bronze. Draws really were a bit unlucky, but the depth of talent in these non-Olympic weights is weaker this year so we can't complain. 

8 minutes ago, The Genius said:

They are in the post below the FS predictions :-) 

However, that was before the draws! I predicted potential medals at 3 weight classes (Nasserpour, Kaviani and Abdevali) - and we saw what the draws for those 3 were today... I think Nasserpour can still get Bronze if he performs well, Kaviani from Bronze to no medal unfortunately, and Abdevali from Silver to Bronze. Draws really were a bit unlucky, but the depth of talent in these non-Olympic weights is weaker this year so we can't complain. 

Thanks, I meant your update prediction because of the ****ty draw.  Let's hope we will get a few pleasant surprises

33 minutes ago, irani said:

Thanks, I meant your update prediction because of the ****ty draw.  Let's hope we will get a few pleasant surprises

Well last year Iran got 1 bronze in GR (and that was because Aleksanyan withdrew from the Bronze match with an injury), so even 2 bronzes (or 1 bronze without an opponent withdrawal...) would be an improvement (but by no means guaranteed) 

2 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

I demand multiple golds from this Iranian team. 86 FS.61 FS. 70. At least get some golds in these sosool easy weights

Just stick with your pick for Naifonov to win gold at 86kg, that is enough for me. ;-)

Edited by The Genius

I can't remember the last time Iran sent someone for the 4th time to the worlds after failing 3 times.  Ebrahim Mehraban maybe ? even Majid Khodaei and Mostafa Hosseinkhani finally won something. so I think Ehsanpour doesn't want the honor of being the worst wrestler ever. he has to win something this year.

btw I see no reason to consider Kaviani weaker than those guys. brutal draw but he can do it. (of course lack of experience is important) and there will be only one "tough" match for Abdevali (3rd round) if he can avoid a big throw he can beat anybody. that's the key for him. he is supposed to be in a better shape this year with his favorite coach.

53 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

I can't remember the last time Iran sent someone for the 4th time to the worlds after failing 3 times.  Ebrahim Mehraban maybe ? even Majid Khodaei and Mostafa Hosseinkhani finally won something. so I think Ehsanpour doesn't want the honor of being the worst wrestler ever. he has to win something this year.

btw I see no reason to consider Kaviani weaker than those guys. brutal draw but he can do it. (of course lack of experience is important) and there will be only one "tough" match for Abdevali (3rd round) if he can avoid a big throw he can beat anybody. that's the key for him. he is supposed to be in a better shape this year with his favorite coach.

@wrestfan your predictions for FS and GR?

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

I'm just going based on his two (?) senior international performances. The one before last he won but was very close and not against elite guys, so he's still very unproven at this level. 

Abdevali has Manukyan and RUS/#2 - why only one tough match? Unlucky because Manukyan and RUS were both unseeded and were both placed on his side of the bracket, the other bracket is very weak in comparison. 

Edited by The Genius

Update:

As expected so far. 

55kg: Nasserpour won his Q match vs TUR by VSU but then lost to #2 UZB in the 1/8 round. Can get to repechage if Bakhromov (UZB) gets to the final obviously.

63kg: Delkhani lost to the #1 seed in the first match as everyone with a brain predicted, except he only lost 4-2. Pleasantly surprised. Chance of repechage.

72kg: Unfortunately what I predicted for Kavianinejad happened and he's out. He lost his first round to Lomadze (GEO) 9-1 and Lomadze lost in the next round so Kaviani is out.

82kg: I misread the draw here so Abdevali only had to wrestle RUS or Manukyan (wrestfan was right, of course). Akiev (RUS) beat Manukyan and Abdevali just beat Akiev in the QF in a very dirty and physical match (I think Akiev even bit him, then he had to wrap Akiev's head (Gedeuv '16 style) which was bleeding very badly). Abdevali will wrestle Huseynov (AZE) in the SF later today for a place in the final. Abdevali beat him 3-0 at Worlds last year, so fingers crossed he can repeat the result...

At 55kg Bakhromov lost so Nasserpour is out. 

At 63kg Maryanyan (RUS) (who defeated Delkhani in the first round) is in the final, so Delkhani is pulled into the repechage. He will wrestle Jung (KOR) then face ARM in the Bronze medal match if he gets that far. 

Edited by The Genius

Fcuking Abdevali lost 8-5 in the SF to Huseynov (AZE), who he beat 3-0 last year. 

He was winning 5-4 then conceded a big 4 point throw with 30 seconds to go. Such a shame because if he won he would have wrestled Lobadze (GEO) in the final (who he pinned last year).

Of course Abdevali takes the loss terribly, as usual, with a tantrum. 

He will be in the Bronze medal match tomorrow and I think he will win it. Such a wasted opportunity for him to get Gold this year.

Edited by The Genius

Draws for 67kg, 87kg and 97kg:

67kg: Poor Hamed Tab is drawn against Borrero (CUB) in the first round - the guy who teched Ota (JPN) earlier this year. If by some miracle he wins that, the second round should be easy, but the third round could be vs Staebler. The bracket is so insanely stacked that he would never medal regardless of his draw. 

87kg: Taheri had a bit more luck, vs SWE in the first round but then vs #4 Abbasov (AZE) if he wins. Then if he wins that he'll likely face #1 Beleniuk in the SF. The draw and competition is not that bad, with a good guy this could be a Bronze contender. But with how the young guys have been performing I am not optimistic so I stick with DNP.

97kg: Saravi has GER in the first round then #2 Milov (BUL) in the second round if he wins. Stacked division as well, so that's only the start of his problems if he gets that far.