Jump to content
wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Shiraz123 said:

World championships already a disaster and FS will be even worse.

Mods, go ahead and lock this thread and ban us Iranian boys from this forum. We're done here.

FS will be bad but definitely a lot better than GR at least (hard to be worse than 1 Bronze which looks likely for GR now)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday's weights: 

63kg: Delkhani beat Jung (KOR) in the repechage match but lost 7-5 vs Galstyan (ARM) in the Bronze medal match so he is out. He went 1-2 but had two close losses against two elite world level wrestlers, it's not like he was a medal contender here anyway so he did pretty good considering. 

82kg: Abdevali beat UKR 7-0 in the Bronze medal match and WINS BRONZE

Today's weights:

67kg: Tab lost by VSU to Borrero (CUB) in the first round (Borrero also destroyed Staebler and is in the final), Tab is in a huge repechage and has to win 3 matches to get to the Bronze medal match. Match 1: vs Mihut (ROU). Then match 2 will be vs Staebler (GER) !! Then match 3 vs Ryu (KOR). The winner of that mini tournament will wrestle for Bronze vs a very impressive Egyptian (Elsayed). 

87kg: Taheri beat SWE in the 1/16 round, then beat #4 Abbasov (AZE) in the 1/8 round 6-0. Unfortunately he lost on criteria 1-1 to Kudla (GER; Olympic Bronze '16 and World Silver '17) in the QF and Kudla narrowly lost to #1 Beleniuk (UKR) 2-1, so Taheri is out. But Taheri did very well, he is 24 and this was his senior worlds debut, I think he deserves another shot for sure. 

97kg: Saravi beat a German 5-1 in Q, then beat Milov (BUL; 2018 World Silver, 2019 European Silver) 7-3. Then in the 1/8 round he beat Rosillo (CUB) 5-4, who was the 2019 Junior Worlds Gold medalist (beat everyone by VSU). Unfortunately then Saravi lost in the QF by 4-3 to Aleksanyan (ARM; 3x World Champion, 2016 Olympic Champion, 2012 Olympic Bronze ...). Aleksanyan is in the final (vs Evloev, clearly the top two guys here), so Saravi is in the repechage (but only wrestles once in the repechage to win a Bronze medal match place). Possibly will face Ildem (TUR; 2x World Bronze, Olympic Bronze '16).

Whatever happens Saravi has had a great tournament, he is only 20 years old and this is his senior debut (he won Junior Worlds Gold in 2018)! For me Saravi is probably the most impressive performance of all so far given his age and experience. 

Draws of tomorrow's weights:

60kg: Nejati has a pretty good draw, winnable first two matches

77kg: Geraei is drawn against #1 Kim in the first round. Bad luck! However, the rest of his bracket is not very strong (luckily unseeded Vlasov is in the other bracket with Nemes and Lorincz), so a fight for Bronze is possible. 

130kg: Ghasemi has a easy Q round vs CZE but then vs #1 Semenov (lol). Unseeded Kayaalp is on the other side of the draw so Ghasemi can fight for Bronze vs Nabi in a best case scenario.

Edited by The Genius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow !! Two #1 seeds knocked out by Iran, but no finalists to show for it unfortunately.  

Yesterday's weights:

67kg: Tab lost the first repechage match vs ROU and goes 0-2 and is out. He did nothing in this tournament to show he has a future.

97kg: Saravi lost the repechage vs Ildem (TUR) 7-5, goes 3-2 and is out. Still a good tournament from him, Ildem is a multiple time Olympian and World medalist. Let's see what he can do in other tournaments in the coming year(s).

Today's weights:

60kg: Wow !! Nejati went on a great run through 4 rounds and beat #2 Kim (KOR) 7-0, unfortunately he lost in the SF to Fumita (JPN) by VSU. In the Bronze medal match he is likely to face Ciobanu (ROU), which will be tough for Nejati. But still, a great day and performance from him, going 4-1 so far!

77kg: Geraei went 2-1, but beat #1 Kim (KOR) by VSU in the first round !! Then he beat a multiple World medalist AZE 7-0 in the second round. Then in the QF he lost vs Sweden ... But the Swedish guy looks very good and is in the final, so Geraei is in the repechage. He will face MDA/POL in the repechage then if he wins he'll face Chalyan (ARM) in the Bronze medal match (Chalyan is very good and would be the favourite in my opinion). 

130kg: WOW! Ghasemi went 3-1, and beat #1 SEMENOV (RUS) in the second round! One of the biggest shocks of the tournament! Unfortunately he lost in the SF to Oscar Pino (CUB), but he will wrestle for Bronze tomorrow (probably vs Nabi (EST)). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was expecting more but It wasn't that bad. Saravi and Taheri could medal. Geraei and Abdevali could be in the final if they could use their brain. the only disappointment was Kaviani. this is a very young team. first World Senior Champs for 8 of them. most of them were in the junior team in past couple of years.

and I care more about the Olympic quotas. they got 2 and Geraei has a chance to make it 3. no country won more than that. even Russia got just 3.

I think 87kg and 97kg won't be a problem for Iran to qualify the weight in Asia, but 67kg doesn't look good. they have to try someone else next time. Hamed Tab is not the answer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2019 at 6:50 AM, irani said:

@wrestfan your predictions for FS and GR?

I guess I'm late for the GR prediction lol. btw it was hard to predict anyway. Greco is always hard to predict. but I was expecting gold from Abdevali. something from Kaviani and probably one more medal (Geraei maybe) 3 medals something like that.

I expect gold for Yazdani. silver for Karimi and probably 2 more bronzes in non-Olympic weights (or maybe Shaabani) I will be OK with such result. 1-1-1 medal is also OK. anything else will be a "very bad" result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a lot of talent on your team. They are young and need to build some strength and late match skills, but you guys are going to be very good in the next couple of years. Just 1 more win from a few guys and you would be top 3, plus you aren't relying just on a couple stars. Across the board your team looked solid and pulled off upsets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2019 at 8:51 PM, The Genius said:

Wow Azizli lost at 55kg. I did not expect that.

I have reasons to believe that match was maybe not that real. I mean the Kazakh guy had hard time against Algeria and USA (and Georgia manhandled him in the final) and all of a sudden he threw Azizli left and right. you know Azerbaijan is not spending money in wrestling (or any other sport) anymore. maybe Azizli had to pay a debt or something. I'm sure he had a good reason lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

I have reasons to believe that match was maybe not that real. I mean the Kazakh guy had hard time against Algeria and USA (and Georgia manhandled him in the final) and all of a sudden he threw Azizli left and right. you know Azerbaijan is not spending money in wrestling (or any other sport) anymore. maybe Azizli had to pay a debt or something. I'm sure he had a good reason lol

maybe they threatened his family and he wants to move to Germany? ;-) 

Did you see Saravi's repechage match vs TUR? I thought he was very unlucky because with his parterre he ended up conceding 4 pts! And he is such a slow starter, I swear he loses every single first period lol

Semenov vs Ghasemi was also very strange. He thought he won it in about 30 seconds then it was back to 4-0, but then Semenov seemed totally gassed and basically fell over and didn't attack again at all, very weird! 

Edited by The Genius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Genius said:

maybe they threatened his family and he wants to move to Germany? ;-)

Did you see Saravi's repechage match vs TUR? I thought he was very unlikely because with his parterre he ended up conceding 4 pts! And he is such a slow starter, I swear he loses every single first period lol

actually Saravi was great in this tournament. we have to consider he is 3-4kg below the weight and has to wrestle guys probably 7-8kg heavier than himself. I think he will be much better next year. that was only his 2nd tournament in this new weight.

and he got robbed against Turkey. the first caution was nonsense. without that Saravi only needed 1 turn to win the match. he went for the 2nd gut wrench because he was still losing 3-3 (because of the caution) and got caught. he is great with his gut wrench. that's a big weapon in this weight class.

and he had a brutal draw. the Serbian guy who won the bronze from the other side finished 10th in the same tournament Saravi won in Georgia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

actually Saravi was great in this tournament. we have to consider he is 3-4kg below the weight and has to wrestle guys probably 7-8kg heavier than himself. I think he will be much better next year. that was only his 2nd tournament in this new weight.

and he got robbed against Turkey. the first caution was nonsense. without that Saravi only needed 1 turn to win the match. he went for the 2nd gut wrench because he was still losing 3-3 (because of the caution) and got caught. he is great with his gut wrench. that's a big weapon in this weight class.

and he had a brutal draw. the Serbian guy who won the bronze from the other side finished 10th in the same tournament Saravi won in Georgia.

I agree, I wrote above that Saravi was the guy who impressed me the most from everyone in the team. Only 20 years old in his senior world debut and beating much bigger and older guys. 

I didn't know about the Serbian guy, that makes his performance even better.

What did you think about Ghasemi? I was not so impressed despite his wins, Semenov seemed to be totally gassed after only 30 seconds! But if he wins Bronze and can beat someone like Nabi then that will be a great sign. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

60kg: Nejati will wrestle for Bronze vs Tasmuradov (UZB; 3x World Medalist, including 2018 World Silver, '16 Olympic Bronze). 

77kg: Geraei beat Cataraga (MDA; 2x U23 Champ) 5-5 and will wrestle for Bronze vs Chalyan (ARM).

130kg: Ghasemi will wrestle for Bronze vs Nabi (EST; 4x World Medalist, including 2x World Champion, '12 Olympic Silver).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

130kg: Wow. Ghasemi lost by DQ by receiving 3 cautions... Mostly for stepping on Nabi's foot and headbutts. Nabi was happy to complain about every little thing to the stupid ref, who didn't call the parterre for Ghasemi and instead gave Ghasemi cautions. 

That's it for GR. 3 weights qualified for 2020 and 3 Bronze medals (Nejati, Geraei and Abdevali). Good performances from Saravi and Taheri as well. Only Kaviani and Tab performed below expectations. 

Edited by The Genius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iran did OK in Greco, this wasn't a star loaded team. but some of these guys can become "star" in future. 3 bronze medals. 3 Olympic quotas and 4th place in the team ranking. I can live with that. I think they are in the right direction. I will be very happy if our freestyle team manages to win 3 quotas. (I expect 2)

I think the only mistake was picking Delkhani. he had a good draw. just didn't use it. but it happens. they also did great by picking Nejati out of nowhere. the only huge disappointment was Kaviani. I still don't know what happened to him, first match syndrome ?

67kg and 130kg are the biggest holes in this team, I think Monjazi is the only option for 130kg. he did great for himself winning the quota. but I think that's his limit. there are some candidates for 67kg. but Tab failed twice so I think they better not consider him again. the way things work for coach Bana. if he loses faith in someone he is not going to give him another chance.

btw Tab is probably the shortest Iranian surname ever. I'm sure foreign commentators will miss him !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Iran did OK in Greco, this wasn't a star loaded team. but some of these guys can become "star" in future. 3 bronze medals. 3 Olympic quotas and 4th place in the team ranking. I can live with that. I think they are in the right direction. I will be very happy if our freestyle team manages to win 3 quotas. (I expect 2)

I think the only mistake was picking Delkhani. he had a good draw. just didn't use it. but it happens. they also did great by picking Nejati out of nowhere. the only huge disappointment was Kaviani. I still don't know what happened to him, first match syndrome ?

67kg and 130kg are the biggest holes in this team, I think Monjazi is the only option for 130kg. he did great for himself winning the quota. but I think that's his limit. there are some candidates for 67kg. but Tab failed twice so I think they better not consider him again. the way things work for coach Bana. if he loses faith in someone he is not going to give him another chance.

btw Tab is probably the shortest Iranian surname ever. I'm sure foreign commentators will miss him !

At 67kg what about that guy who was in 2018 JW (won bronze)? He beat the Egyptian guy that had a very good tournament here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...