wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

2 minutes ago, The Genius said:

At 67kg what about that guy who was in 2018 JW (won bronze)? He beat the Egyptian guy that had a very good tournament here

you made me check the UWW database to find the name first lol

Hosseinvand wrestled in the Takhti Cup (which was kind of first round of trials) and lost. he wasn't in the national camp. as far as I know their other options are Mohammad Javad Rezaei (who lost to Tab very narrowly in Georgia tournament) and Mohammad Eliasi (5th place worlds 2017 who was injured). or maybe making some of those 72kg guys to cut weight. Mohammad Reza Geraei for example ?!

18 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

you made me check the UWW database to find the name first lol

Hosseinvand wrestled in the Takhti Cup (which was kind of first round of trials) and lost. he wasn't in the national camp. as far as I know their other options are Mohammad Javad Rezaei (who lost to Tab very narrowly in Georgia tournament) and Mohammad Eliasi (5th place worlds 2017 who was injured). or maybe making some of those 72kg guys to cut weight. Mohammad Reza Geraei for example ?!

Thanks. Kaviani is already skin and bones so he's out of the question, hopefully one of Hosseinvand and Tab can improve next year. 

28 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Will 77kg in Tokyo be between Gerai and Abdevali?

as far as I know 77kg is the only option for Abdevali. (he is not going for 87kg spot) but he looked a bit disappointed after the bronze claiming he wanted to retire right after the match only his coach talked him into thinking again ! looks like he is also a bit upset about Bana for dropping his brother from the squad.

I think in a best of 3 format. Abdevali can beat anybody in the world, but in a tournament he always finds a match to lose. I think Geraei deserves the spot. he is the most "watchable" Iranian Greco wrestler. but Bana has his own way of selecting his team.

I would like to see Gerai vs Abdevali in a normal best of 3 even though it probably will not happen. I don't think Abdevali will have any trouble making 77 2 days, anyone who looks at him can see he carried around more body fat than most wrestlers (outside of HW). 

2 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

I would like to see Gerai vs Abdevali in a normal best of 3 even though it probably will not happen. I don't think Abdevali will have any trouble making 77 2 days, anyone who looks at him can see he carried around more body fat than most wrestlers (outside of HW). 

I would like that too. but that's not going to happen as long as Bana is the coach. at very best he is going to send both of them to an international tournament.

and Geraei usually struggles against wrestlers like Abdevali, he lost twice to Pejman Poshtam (who is a mediocre wrestler) in the trials last year. everybody knew he is a better wrestler, they sent him to the Asian games (and he won the gold) but then they sent Poshtam to the Worlds (he lost in the first round) and made Geraei cut weight for 72kg.

1 minute ago, wrestfan said:

I would like that too. but that's not going to happen as long as Bana is the coach. at very best he is going to send both of them to an international tournament.

and Geraei usually struggles against wrestlers like Abdevali, he lost twice to Pejman Poshtam (who is a mediocre wrestler) in the trials last year. everybody knew he is a better wrestler, they sent him to the Asian games (and he won the gold) but then they sent Poshtam to the Worlds (he lost in the first round) and made Geraei cut weight for 72kg.

I think both of their medal chances are about the same at 77 for Rio. Abdevali loses his head sometimes but Gerai always has a bad match in him. I think they could both probably get a bronze or something. 

interesting note, our surprising bronze medalist, Alireza Nejati is from Qom ! you wouldn't expect something good to come out of Qom lol

no disrespect to the nice people of the city. I was just joking. (Iranian users know what I'm talking about) Nejati was great, fantastic and I think he can beat anybody in the world if he avoids cautions. his parterre defense is disastrous.

At 57kg Reza Atri has Andreyeu (BLR) in the first round (rematch of last year where he lost 5-5). Then in the second round he'll possibly have Yatsenko (UKR), who he lost to in 2017 worlds repechage. Then in the third round Uguev, so that's a wrap. Possible repechage fight for Bronze if he gets past his first two matches.

At 65kg: Amir Yazdani has an easy first round vs TKM. In the second round he'll face winner of Zain (USA) vs Valdes (CUB), I think Valdes will win that. That's a tough match and Yazdani will probably lose to Valdes in the second round. No hope of a repechage battle here, the bottom bracket is insanely stacked with Rashidov, Otoguru and Aliyev as well!

The draw couldn't be any worse for Atri and Yazdani. obviously no chance for quota in the first FS day.

why we never get such draws ?! look at the top half in both weights.

or Evloev, Surkov and Emelin in Greco. they simply walked to the final without doing much. Evloev won the gold medal without doing anything special (not that he needed an easy draw but still)

3 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Our wrestlers are very weak. Our only chance is to just go to all the ranking tournaments and fight for easy draws. Do what Turkey did with their weak 86kg wrestler .That is what they should do this year. 

being seeded doesn't necessarily give you a better draw. maybe only for 1st and 4th seeds. there are so many top guys unseeded. Otoguro is seeded but I don't think he is happy with the draw. (even though knowing the Japanese mentality he probably doesn't care)

15 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

being seeded doesn't necessarily give you a better draw. maybe only for 1st and 4th seeds. there are so many top guys unseeded. Otoguro is seeded but I don't think he is happy with the draw. (even though knowing the Japanese mentality he probably doesn't care)

We have to aim for that top 1 seed so that we can fluke a medal.  Our only chances are really fluke draws at this point. At least Otoguru has a rest. But who knows Maybe Amir Yazdani will be this years Otoguru and win the gold aged 19. 

Wow Rashidov got very lucky against Aliyev but then destroyed Otoguru. Aliyev has a horrible repechage journey to Bronze now. Pleased that Niyazbekov beat Bajrang though. 

57kg: Atri won his first two matches 4-2 then lost to Uguev (RUS) 0-2. Uguev is in the final so Atri is in the repechage from hell itself: the winner of Amiraslanov/Bekhbayar then Kumar (IND), who beat Takahashi and the Armenian European Champ. 

65kg: Amir Yazdani lost 13-9 in the second round to Valdes (CUB). Valdes then lost to a Bahraini guy so Yazdani goes 1-1 and is out.

Draws for tomorrow's weights:

70kg: Emami has a very nice draw. Very good shot of getting to the semis, likely vs Kaiponov (KAZ). The other bracket (which Emami avoids) has: GEO/POL/USA/RUS/BHR - @wrestfan we finally got a lucky draw!

74kg: Afzali has CUB in the first round... The other bracket is easier but Afzali wouldn't medal anyway. 

92kg: Karimi's only tough match before the final will probably be vs Yankouski in the SF. 

125kg: Easy first round vs MGL then Gwiz in the second round. Really hope he beats Gwiz, he's another Deng with medals only from lucky draws. Then the winner will face Khugaev (RUS). Then Geno in the SF. To be honest this is not a deep division, Khugaev is not Russia's top guy here and Mohebbi has a shot at Bronze if he can edge past Gwiz and Khugaev. Big if for him though.  

after two narrow wins, Atri was very close to beat Uguev too. he almost had a takedown (or maybe even completed the takedown ?!) he is still the same. he makes it close against everybody.

btw Aliyev threw everything to the refs after the match and they had to call the security to remove him from the arena. this will be a huge scandal if they don't disqualify him. they disqualified our wrestler just for not shaking hands with the coach !!!!!

Edited by wrestfan

I thought Yazdani did very well considering he is a first or second year junior. I was very impressed, he just made a few mistakes against Valdez. Unfortunately Valdez looked "different" against Bahrain (paid off?) and eliminated him. I'd like to see 65 be between Yazdani and Maghsoudi next year. 

Atri almost never shoots. Going to be hard to win consistently like that. 

Edited by Shiraz123

2 hours ago, The Genius said:

Was Amiraslanov DQd too? 

why ? he did nothing wrong

but this is amazing they didn't DQ Aliyev. at least not yet, not sure if you guys watched the match. it could be 6 months ban or something like that if it was an Iranian wrestler.

35 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

why ? he did nothing wrong

but this is amazing they didn't DQ Aliyev. at least not yet, not sure if you guys watched the match. it could be 6 months ban or something like that if it was an Iranian wrestler.

watch from 8.50 - how is that not a DQ as well?

if you listen closely at 9.32 they say he is disqualified after he refuses to go to the centre

Edited by The Genius