wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

@Shiraz123 I agree with exactly whatever you wrote. absolutely. but I think you are too harsh on Atri. there will be only 16 wrestlers for the Olympics and I think we will have 5-6 weak or average wrestlers. sometimes you can win medal by winning just one tough match. and we know Atri is capable of that. I don't think he can win 3 tough matches in a row for example but even Uguev had hard time against him. he is never an easy draw for anybody.

at 74, we have to qualify first, not sure if Hosseinkhani recovers in time for the Qualifier, I can't believe I would miss Hosseinkhani someday. with Japan and Kazakhstan already qualified I think the only one we have to worry about is Abdurakhmanov. even though if we send Afzali, he can even lose to Sushil Kumar. he lost to Garzon after all !

it sounds crazy but I think if Hadi was in shape he could win the gold here ! (I know we had a user who had such claims and we mocked him) both Geno and Akgul looked far from their best to me. they used to be unbeatable for the rest but at least I think they are not unbeatable anymore.

and yes I think having  a proper trials for 97kg is a must . none of them has any advantage over the rest. but we know there will be no trials for the Asian Qualifiers, the question is who is they are going to send ?! maybe it's too early to think about that. I won't be surprised if Dabir replaces the freestyle coaches.

I also wonder if Ehsanpour can move up to 65kg. I know he tried that before and failed but maybe he gets lucky second time.

but if I had to decide right now I would send these guys to the qualifiers

65, Biabani

74, hire some of those UWW guys who "made" the draw for Kazakhstan , we can use their abilities to put our wrestler in the top half and everybody else in the bottom half. I think even Afzali can beat Chinese Taipei and Jordan or even Bangladesh.

97, Reza Yazdani, if not Karimi

125, both Hadi and Mohebbi are fine.

Looks like Iran is going to finish 3rd. even if USA wins the next two finals. I'm not sure though cuz it depends on Downy and Shaabani's place. by my count they both finished 10th.

Ehsanpour finally won a medal. in his 4th try

19 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

57: I honestly don't think Atri is ever going to win a medal. A good draw is not likely at this weight, too many strong wrestlers. I'm also hearing he has major weight problems. Rahimi got his medal after the third try and this was Atri's third try and he failed. Rahimi was also a junior world champion. Atri failed there also. You could say Rahimi never had to deal with 2 day weighins but when Rahimi was wrestling the weight was 55 now it's 57. Still they have no other choice but to send him. If he got a medal here I am 100% sure he would have gone to the Olympics without any trial but now we will see. I still think there is a high chance they just send him. Who else is there, that Sarlak guy? Amouzad from cadets? lol 

61: Hopefully he gets a bronze. I don't like this "haghesh tala bod" rubbish you always hear from Iranian fans but he really could have done it. Still has the same weaknesses but even with those he could have got it. Last Olympics he didn't even try (or wasn't given the chance) to make the team so I wonder if he does this time or if he we are not going to hear from him until 2021. Iran won junior world gold at 60kg juniors in 2012,2014,2015 and 2016. That has so far translated to an incredible 0 senior world medals. 

65: Tobier is a good wrestler with world medals and even multiple wins over Haji Aliyev and I thought Yazdani wrestled him well. When the weight is this strong and wrestlers at the calibre of Otoguro can't win a medal then obviously he won't get one either. It's a shame all of our junior world champions from 61 the past few years have been total failures or else we could have had someone more experienced at this weight.  

70: Emami had such a good draw. They didn't give his takedown at the end but if he was on the other side i'm not sure he would have even won a medal so maybe a fair result in the end. 

74: I knew he was going to lose but he didn't have to lose to 40 year old Garzon. It's really going to have to be Hosseinkhani for Tokyo. They might send him without a trial even. Maybe they'll give Mohammadi another chance. I can't think of anyone else. Emami seems too small for me. 

79: Teymouri was hand picked without a trial and lost to an old wrestler. In countries like Russia they basically only send someone without a trial if they are a 99.99% gold chance (Sadulaev 2016) in Iran at this point we are regularly sending average wrestlers to worlds without trials as if Teymouri is a multiple time world champion. The coaches really have to answer for this one because this is a wrestler they hand picked based off of a fluke match in his hometown. 

86: I really wish Taylor was here because this weight really has no excitement without him. Hopefully they can wrestle at some random tournament before the Olympics. I wonder if Hassan will go without any trial? I hope they don't do what they did after he won gold in 2017 which is to not enter him into any tournaments outside of Asia!  Big question is if Cox will go down or up. I feel confident Hassan would beat Cox at 86 with these weigh in rules so I kind of hope he comes down and beats Taylor, lol. 

92: I think whenever Karimi hits someone he isn't physically stronger than it kind of takes him out of the match. A lot of his success is based on how physical he is and Cox is one of those guys he doesn't have that advantage against. Same as when he wrestled Hassan in the trials. Feel bad for him he's good wrestler but Cox is better. Btw what was that takedown at the start? I haven't seen it again but it looked like Cox slapped his knee and he fell over. Match was basically over after that. I'm guessing he goes 97. I'd give him a decent chance to make our Olympic team. 

97: I actually thought Odikadze would be a good matchup for Shabani because he gets tired easily but he couldn't beat him. I really hope they just hold a normal trial in this weight and send whoever wins. 

125: If Hadi isn't recovered i'm guessing that they use Mohebi to qualify the weight and then just send Hadi. 

What does "haghesh tala bod" mean?  As in "I don't like this "haghesh tala bod" rubbish you always hear from Iranian fans..."

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

Looks like Iran is going to finish 3rd. even if USA wins the next two finals. I'm not sure though cuz it depends on Downy and Shaabani's place. by my count they both finished 10th.

Ehsanpour finally won a medal. in his 4th try

I was wrong Downey finished 9th, he had a superiority win which helped him to have the tiebreaker over Takatani and Iran missed the podium in team ranking by just 1 point !!

that was a bit disappointing but I think it's fair to say Iran is the 3rd best team in the world. behind Russia and USA.

not great but also not a bad tournament for Iran. if we had Hadi, and R. Yazdani it could be much better. specially Hadi.

All, and all, not a bad tournament for Iran.  My biggest disappointment was Shabani, and perhaps it shows that the technical committee knows best after all.

The coaches now have a year to figure out how Yazdani can beat Taylor.  To me it's  pretty easy:  Taylor does not have a chance against Yazdani  when Yazdani is not out of gas.  The first two times they met, Yazdani tried to tech Taylor in the first half, and came close, but by doing so, he completely ran out of gas.

So, I would do two things:

1. Change the strategy: slow the pace of the match in the first half, and keep the score close, then go all out in the last two minutes

2. Have Yazdani work hard on his endurance, get on a treadmill one hour a day

In FS wrestling, Yazdani is Iran's only chance for gold.  Iran has to get it right

Team result was fair with us being behind the USA, obviously Kazakhstan should not be second. They were missing the gold medal favourite at 86, we were missing Hadi who is probably a bronze/silver with a chance for gold but not the favourite. I think Reza might have also lost to Odikadze like Shabani, after all he did lose to him before. 

They also have better wrestlers who they could have sent at 86 compared to Downey but their trials process does not allow them to do these kind of things. If they had our system where they can pick whoever they want they definitely had options around that weight to send a stronger wrestler than Downey.

All in all i'd say the performance was slightly better than last time. Emami from last year would have got a medal in this bracket. Karimi lost to the same guy and did slightly worse against him actually. Yazdani didn't have Taylor in his way. Only reason I say slightly better is Ehsanpour's medal at 61.

7 minutes ago, irani said:

I just heard that Ehsanipour wants to change his weight class

They interviewed him after the bronze medal match and he said he would try to go to 65 for the Olympics. He has no choice but to change weight if he wants to wrestle in the Olympics. 

Edited by Shiraz123

also watched a short interview with Emami. he was asked about which Olympic weight he is going to. his answer was something like " whatever coach's decision" I think cutting to 65 is probably a better idea than moving up to 74 but then I don't know what's his actual body weight

btw I can't see any World Championship for non-Olympic weights scheduled for the next year. we had that in 2016 . in this case they really have no reason to stay in these non-Olympic weights. at least they can try even if their chance is something like 1%

28 minutes ago, irani said:

you obviously mean 65 Kg

No i mean 86 lol. Who is better than him from 79 or below? In total would only put Karimi, Ghasempour and Yazdani above him. Hadi and HW is a different situation. I am not saying he is Saitiev or anything but by our weak team in lower weights standards I would say currently he is the best 79 and down. 

according to IAWF president Alireza Dabir he is not going to replace the caoches, both G. Mohammadi and Bana will keep their position until the Olympics.

and beside that we had extra trials in some other weights for the Worlds U23 team. it was mostly in Greco when they almost determined the whole team but also it was in one weight of freestyle. Mojtaba Goleij won the 97kg trials and most probably made the team.

also in Greco we had a surprising name. Hadi Saravi !!! he won the trials and will go to the Worlds U23. in both freestyle and GR he is the only senior team member who tried and made the U23 team. we had so many U23 wrestlers in both teams. (specially in Greco)

2 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

A lot of anger in the comments 

Thanks @Shiraz123

Well what he is saying is true, but he is saying as if he is blaming Yazdani.  What is Yazdani supposed to do?

For the non Persian speaking people reading this, Ali Reza Dabir, the new head of the federation says "Mr. Yazdani, your gold does not count, your competitors were all easy"  He then goes on to say that Yazdani has one worthy competitor, and he has lost to him twice.  

I think what he is saying is true, but it's not necessary to say it.

On a separate note, Dabir looks very different, I would not have recognized him

The issue of Yazdani losing to Taylor twice brings up a question.  Are Iranian coaches capable of scouting an opponents and changing the strategy to beat that opponent?

Historically, Iran has a very poor track record of doing that, but I can think of two cases where they had success

1. Ali Reza Heidari repeatedly lost to Kurtanidze, and even lost to him in the finals in Tehran, but he finally managed to win their last match in his last Olympics where he got a bronze
  2. Resoul Khadem lost to a seemingly unbeatable Khatardsev, before beating three times in a row.  This might be more of a case of Khadem maturing into a world champion while Khatardsev was towards the end of his career

Lol  Dabir is talking like a random fan on the internet. I agree with Dabir that his weight was among the weakest Olympic weights but Hassan has beat some very strong wrestlers:

- Ghasempour  - 3 times, never in danger of losing any of the matches. A lot of fans don't know Ghasempour, especially non-iranian fans, but trust me if Hassan gets injured he will show everyone how good he is. 

- Karimi

- Valiev

- Kurugliev

- Naifanov

- Sharifov - Didn't looked too weak when he beat Snyder somewhat comfortably last week 

- Yasar

- World medals from 70kg to 86, junior world champion at 66. 

Also how is he saying that he hopes Taylor doesn't make it to the Olympics? Lol very motivating for Yazdani that the Olympic champion who's the head of the federation says has such faith in him that he hopes one of his opponents is unable to compete. I think that comment was the main problem. 

Just now, Shiraz123 said:

Lol  Dabir is talking like a random fan on the internet. I agree with Dabir that his weight was among the weakest Olympic weights but Hassan has beat some very strong wrestlers:

- Ghasempour  - 3 times, never in danger of losing any of the matches. A lot of fans don't know Ghasempour, especially non-iranian fans, but trust me if Hassan gets injured he will show everyone how good he is. 

- Karimi

- Valiev

- Kurugliev

- Naifanov

- Sharifov - Didn't looked too weak when he beat Snyder somewhat comfortably last week 

- Yasar

- World medals from 70kg to 86, junior world champion at 66. 

Also how is he saying that he hopes Taylor doesn't make it to the Olympics? Lol very motivating for Yazdani that the Olympic champion who's the head of the federation says has such faith in him that he hopes one of his opponents is unable to compete. I think that comment was the main problem. 

I agree with you.   Besides what does he expect Yazdani to do?  it's not like he chose his opponents.

Silly comment