wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

That was very stupid from Dabir to say such things. I don't believe in weak or strong weights. specially for 86kg which is a middle weight. Yazdani makes his opponent look weak. they are not weak. probably people don't know that Karimi is still a 86kg wrestler, Yazdani made him running away from 86kg.  I think that's enough to see how good Yazdani is.

but I think Dabir didn't want to blame Yazdani. he just wanted to explain the situation (that how weak we are in freestyle right now) just didn't put it in a wise way. people sometimes mage a big deal out of some stupid comments.

I have to watch the whole show though. it's not a good idea to judge based on just one line from a long interview. I don't know he is telling this to what question. (I can guess though)

On 9/27/2019 at 7:25 PM, wrestfan said:

also in Greco we had a surprising name. Hadi Saravi !!! he won the trials and will go to the Worlds U23. in both freestyle and GR he is the only senior team member who tried and made the U23 team. we had so many U23 wrestlers in both teams. (specially in Greco)

So no Kaviani in the U23 team? Did he try?

I know the FS team but can you post the GR team please?

I just read an interview with Hassan Yazdani.  To me, the interview highlights the issue with Yazdani

He prides himself in finishing all his matches in the first half, and he says I will not allow the match to reach the second half.

Taylor is the one guy who can withstand the storm.  Granted, Yazdani built a large lead, but the lead was not good enough to withstand Taylor's come back when Yazdani is gassed.

Yazdani needs to do at least one of two things

1. Improve his endurance conditioning so he does not run out of gas
  2. change his wrestling style against taylor, take it slow in the first half, and go all out in the second half

I believe that Taylor does not have a chance against Yazdani when Yazdani is not out of gas, and history demonstrates that Yazdani does not have a shot against Taylor when Yuzdani is out of gas!

2 hours ago, The Genius said:

So no Kaviani in the U23 team? Did he try?

I know the FS team but can you post the GR team please?

No he didn't nobody from the senior team (except Saravi) tried that. and I think at least half of the senior team was U23. I can assume Bana let Saravi to wrestle because he is not cutting weight and in fact he is much lighter than 97kg.

it was a small trial between 2 or 3 wrestlers in each weight. I think they had a bigger trials before

this is just 7 weights. no idea what they are going to do with other 3 weights

60kg: Mehdi Mohsennejad

67kg: Sajjad Imentalab

72kg: Mohammad Reza Geraei

77kg: Ali Norouzi

82kg: Mohammad Choubchian

97kg; Mohammad Hadi Saravi

130kg: Abolfazl Hajipour

and i have to add winning the trials is not 100% enough to make the team. for example at 130kg. Hajipour only beat Yousefi (World Junior Champion) 1-1 by cautions.

10 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

No he didn't nobody from the senior team (except Saravi) tried that. and I think at least half of the senior team was U23. I can assume Bana let Saravi to wrestle because he is not cutting weight and in fact he is much lighter than 97kg.

it was a small trial between 2 or 3 wrestlers in each weight. I think they had a bigger trials before

this is just 7 weights. no idea what they are going to do with other 3 weights

60kg: Mehdi Mohsennejad

67kg: Sajjad Imentalab

72kg: Mohammad Reza Geraei

77kg: Ali Norouzi

82kg: Mohammad Choubchian

97kg; Mohammad Hadi Saravi

130kg: Abolfazl Hajipour

and i have to add winning the trials is not 100% enough to make the team. for example at 130kg. Hajipour only beat Yousefi (World Junior Champion) 1-1 by cautions.

Thank you. Is the 130kg Hajipour related to the 65kg FS Abolfazl Hajipour lol?

I am disappointed that no Kaviani (or others) are going to the U23s. They are just coming out of juniors and were fast tracked to seniors (and in Kaviani's case showed he wasn't ready), so to me going to U23 is a logical step for most of them. 

1 minute ago, The Genius said:

Thank you. Is the 130kg Hajipour related to the 65kg FS Abolfazl Hajipour lol?

I am disappointed that no Kaviani (or others) are going to the U23s. They are just coming out of juniors and were fast tracked to seniors (and in Kaviani's case showed he wasn't ready), so to me going to U23 is a logical step for most of them. 

since they share exactly the same name. I don't think so.

I assume all of senior team members had to ask Bana's permission for U23 team. I don't know if Kaviani didn't want that himself or Bana didn't let him. probably because of Reza Geraei in this weight and all those controversies about picking up Kaviani over Geraei. maybe that wasn't such a bad idea to let Kaviani rest for a while. he had the worst day of his career in NurSultan.

Kaviani, Nasserpour and Delkhani (he is still U23, right ? ) are in non-Olympic weights, again I assume Bana had no problem with them wrestling one more tournament this year. but I'm quite sure he didn't want Nejati there. I was a bit surprised to see Saravi but then he is still below the weight and needs more competition in this new weight.

On 9/14/2019 at 6:27 AM, The Genius said:

Fcuking Abdevali lost 8-5 in the SF to Huseynov (AZE), who he beat 3-0 last year. 

He was winning 5-4 then conceded a big 4 point throw with 30 seconds to go. Such a shame because if he won he would have wrestled Lobadze (GEO) in the final (who he pinned last year).

Of course Abdevali takes the loss terribly, as usual, with a tantrum. 

He will be in the Bronze medal match tomorrow and I think he will win it. Such a wasted opportunity for him to get Gold this year.

Lol at the newspaper heading in Iran about Abdevali

Mr. always complaining did not reach the finals

آقای همیشه معترض به فینال جهانی نرسید/ شکست عبدولی در ۲۸ ثانیه پایانی

Edited by irani

I assume nobody cares about the CISM World Military Games (18-27 October in China) but last time Russia sent a world class team with likes of Ramonov, Kurbanaliev and Gatsalov and won 7 out of 8 possible gold medals. Iran also won 7 medals in FS and 5 in Greco. but only 1 gold in total which was won by Ali Geraei. if you check the results from 2015 most of gold medalists are world champions. so I think it won't be a low level competition.

even though this time they will have wrestling only in 6 Olympic weights and each country is limited to send only 4 wrestlers in each style. I wrote all of this to get to this point. the Iranian squad. the Greco team looks weak but there are some interesting names in the freestyle squad. specially one. Mohammadian

65 Mehran Sheiki, 86 Ahmad Bazri, 97 Mohammad Hossein Mohammadian, 125 Yadollah Mohebbi

in Greco, 77 Pejam Poshtam, 87 Mehdi Fallah, 97 Ali Akbar Heidari, 130 Amin Mirzazadeh

I wonder if Russia and the rest will send a strong team. it will be a return for Mohammadian after 4 years. he claims he was training hard 4 years for this (actually for the Olympics). let's see where is he right now.

This is probably a bit weird but the "Iranian National Championship" started today, and will finish tomorrow in all 10 weights. now we know the semifinalists in all 10 weights. I think everywhere the national championship is the most important tournament of the year (at least in Russia) but in Iran it's kind of a tournament for "Other wrestlers". top 2-3 wrestlers who are in the national camp usually don't participate and the level is lower because for example Mazandaran (which usually dominates in Iran) can enter only 1 wrestler per weight but this is kind of a pre trial. still a bad tournament for Mazandaran only 6 out of 10 made it to semifinal for them.

all those unknown wrestlers who want to make the national team have to start from here.

while the level isn't that great still we had some interesting names in the competition. this is full results from the first day (in Persian of course)

http://iawf.ir/Public/iawf.ir/1/results/FS-bozorgsalan keshvar 98-04.pdf

Do you guys remember Jamal Ebadi ?! well he is back (this time for 74kg) after a long injury. he lost to Saeid Dadashpour only 7-7. we have another comeback in Meisam Mostafa-Jokar ?!!!!! he is in semifinal at 92kg. Mohammad Hossein Mohammadian also has his debut after 4 years here. he reached the semifinal against Danial Shariatinia after beating former world team member Alireza Goudarzi 6-4.

Seeing the same names over and over in these national championships. I thought Goudarzi retired after the trials controversy? Same for Jokar. Saw past cadet world champ Aeini at 57 but it seems he lost anyway. 

Iran National Championships Finals

57kg: Mohsen Maleki (Tehran Environs) beat Mohammad Kaboli (Alborz) 7-2

61kg: Majid Dastan (Tehran) beat Mohammad Maleki (East Azarbaijan) 10-0

65kg: Morteza Ghiasi (Lorestan) beat Mehran Sheikhi (Mazandaran) 7-4

70kg: Mehdi Yeganeh-Jafari (Mazandaran) beat Hossein Mostafavi (East Azarbaijan) 6-2

74kg: Saeid Dadashpour (Tehran) beat Masoud Kamarvand (Hamedan) 3-2

79kg: Omid Hassantabar (Mazandaran) beat Mohammad Zare'ei (Kordestan) 13-4

86kg: Jalal Zaman (Mazandaran) beat Arash Nayyerabadi (Golestan) 4-3

92kg: Arashk Mohebbi (Kermanshah) beat Meisam Mostafa-Jokar (Hamedan) 6-2

97kg: Esmaeil Nejatian (Khorasan Razavi) beat Mohammad Hossein Mohammadian (Mazandaran) 4-4

125kg: Amin Taheri (Tehran) beat Ahmad Rasouli (Golestan) 4-0

none of the gold medalists are "new" maybe except 57kg and 61kg. Dastan was a bit impressive but the level was also not that great in this weight. Mohammadian-Nejatian was a bit controversial because the scoreboard wrongly showed Mohammadian as the winner but that was a mistake and they fixed it later. Nejatian won the final by a last second pushout.

Dadashpour is  also still the same. winning his matches in last 20-30 seconds. I don't know if they can count on him for this weak weight though, he is probably not worse than Afzali.

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

Iran National Championships Finals

57kg: Mohsen Maleki (Tehran Environs) beat Mohammad Kaboli (Alborz) 7-2

61kg: Majid Dastan (Tehran) beat Mohammad Maleki (East Azarbaijan) 10-0

65kg: Morteza Ghiasi (Lorestan) beat Mehran Sheikhi (Mazandaran) 7-4

70kg: Mehdi Yeganeh-Jafari (Mazandaran) beat Hossein Mostafavi (East Azarbaijan) 6-2

74kg: Saeid Dadashpour (Tehran) beat Masoud Kamarvand (Hamedan) 3-2

79kg: Omid Hassantabar (Mazandaran) beat Mohammad Zare'ei (Kordestan) 13-4

86kg: Jalal Zaman (Mazandaran) beat Arash Nayyerabadi (Golestan) 4-3

92kg: Arashk Mohebbi (Kermanshah) beat Meisam Mostafa-Jokar (Hamedan) 6-2

97kg: Esmaeil Nejatian (Khorasan Razavi) beat Mohammad Hossein Mohammadian (Mazandaran) 4-4

125kg: Amin Taheri (Tehran) beat Ahmad Rasouli (Golestan) 4-0

none of the gold medalists are "new" maybe except 57kg and 61kg. Dastan was a bit impressive but the level was also not that great in this weight. Mohammadian-Nejatian was a bit controversial because the scoreboard wrongly showed Mohammadian as the winner but that was a mistake and they fixed it later. Nejatian won the final by a last second pushout.

Dadashpour is  also still the same. winning his matches in last 20-30 seconds. I don't know if they can count on him for this weak weight though, he is probably not worse than Afzali.

How does Mohammadian loon in general?  Could he be a contender against a healthy Reza Yazdani?

12 minutes ago, irani said:

How does Mohammadian loon in general?  Could he be a contender against a healthy Reza Yazdani?

He had a tough draw, I mean relatively tough. comparing to the level of the competition none of his matches were easy , he had to beat Khajeh-Salehani, Goudarzi, Shariatinia, and he looked tired in the final

this Mohammadian no at all but that was his first competition after 4 years. still early to judge him. but I have to admit I was expecting more from him.

interesting interview with Alireza Karimi

https://video.varzesh3.com/video/201457/مصاحبه-جذاب-با-علیرضا-کریمی،-نایب-قهرمان-کشتی-جهان

the host is kind of stupid and amateur, but still there were some interesting questions. he also put Karimi in an uncomfortable situation telling him something like "did you move up because of Hassan Yazdani ? can you beat him ? "

Karimi also said Cox is like a missing address for him. one day he will find that address (to how to beat him) lol

Edited by wrestfan

12 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

interesting interview with Alireza Karimi (it only works for PC outside of Iran)

https://www.anten.ir/archive/28640/گفتگوی-اختصاصی-با-نایب-قهرمان-کشتی-آزاد-جهان

the host is kind of stupid and amateur, but still there were some interesting questions. he also put Karimi in an uncomfortable situation telling him something like "did you move up because of Hassan Yazdani ? can you beat him ? "

Karimi also said Cox is like a missing address for him. one day he will find that address (to how to beat him) lol

I could not get in.  It requires membership

Thanks for posting.

You are right, the interviewer was terrible, and obviously did not know anything about wrestling.

Karimi said Cox is a different wrestler than everyone else I have wrestled he has a different style and a different body type.  It's a problem I have not been able to solve.  The reporter then asked him how many times they have wrestled and Karimi sheepishly said four time.  the interview they said, "and you still haven't figured it out"?

To be fair, I think the coaches should have the primary responsibility for figuring out the best way to wrestle Cox.  He has lost before, they need to review his losses and plan a different approach against him.  He did say their plan was to attack low, but Cox negated that strategy by keeping a distance from him.  He also said there were other people both domestic and international that he had difficulties with, but eventually defeated them. This whole issue is now moot, because we have no idea what weight Cox will wrestle at in the Olympics, and whether he will even qualify for the Olympics. 

When he was asked about whether he moved to 92 because of Hassan Yazdani, he said Khadem and Talaie suggested to him that the move to 92.  To me that is an affirmative answer to the Hassan question

Karimi looks way too small for 97 to me.  Has said he is very comfortable wrestling 97 KG wrestlers, so he pretty much implied he will move up to 97 Kg.  I cannot see him medaling in 97, US, Russia, and Azerbaijan probably have a big advantage over him

Sometimes the other wrestler is just better. Russians have the best coaches in the world and Rahimi eliminated their wrestler in 2014,2015 and 2016. Esmailpour used to do the same thing every match but he always won against Americans except for one loss where he went up to 65 briefly and was too small.  If Karimi wrestles Cox at 97 it will  be even worse in my opinion. His chance was at 86 where Cox was at least drained from the cut but he lost anyway. I will say it again Karimi almost always loses to good wrestlers who are physically stronger than him, because his style is very based of physicality (not saying he is a pusher like Goleij). Actually I would not be surprised if he won a bronze at 97 with the right draw. He beat Sharifov no problem. 

3 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Sometimes the other wrestler is just better. Russians have the best coaches in the world and Rahimi eliminated their wrestler in 2014,2015 and 2016. Esmailpour used to do the same thing every match but he always won against Americans except for one loss where he went up to 65 briefly and was too small.  If Karimi wrestles Cox at 97 it will  be even worse in my opinion. His chance was at 86 where Cox was at least drained from the cut but he lost anyway. I will say it again Karimi almost always loses to good wrestlers who are physically stronger than him, because his style is very based of physicality (not saying he is a pusher like Goleij). Actually I would not be surprised if he won a bronze at 97 with the right draw. He beat Sharifov no problem. 

That may be, but I want Karimi to at least put up a good fight.  I think he has a mental block with Cox.

This reminds of of Heidari vs Kurtanidze where Heidari seemed like he lost the match before the match even started.  I remember in the finals, the announcer, Farvashi was so disappointed that he said in disgust "It appears that Heidari is happy with silver medal"  and then in their final match heidari beat him

So it's not so much that I want Karimi to beat Cox, I just want him to show up

3 minutes ago, irani said:

That may be, but I want Karimi to at least put up a good fight.  I think he has a mental block with Cox.

This reminds of of Heidari vs Kurtanidze where Heidari seemed like he lost the match before the match even started.  I remember in the finals, the announcer, Farvashi was so disappointed that he said in disgust "It appears that Heidari is happy with silver medal"  and then in their final match heidari beat him

So it's not so much that I want Karimi to beat Cox, I just want him to show up

Unfortunately he is going in the wrong direction. He wrestled Cox a lot better last year. Maybe because that match was in the middle of the tournament and this time he had a whole night and day to sit around worry about it. Or maybe Khadem gave him a better plan, who knows. 

Kurtandize was at least a few years older than Heidari. That 2004 match was his third Olympic games. Karimi is a year older than Cox. 

On 10/10/2019 at 10:08 AM, Shiraz123 said:

Kurtandize was at least a few years older than Heidari. That 2004 match was his third Olympic games. Karimi is a year older than Cox. 

I looked it up, Kartanidze was born in 79, Heidari was born in 76, so Heidari  is older

One of our friends has created a site where you can see listing of top wrestlers based on points awarded for medals in Olympics and world championship

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/world_team_profile.php?team=IRI

Losing his criteria, here is the listing of Iran's best Freestyle wrestlers of all time.  The rankings seem generally reasonable to me.

Rank Name Score Finishes
#1 Abdollah Movahed 96 1,1,1,1,1,1
#1 Gholamreza Takhti 96 2,2,1,1,2,1,2
#3 Ebrahim Javadi 74 1,1,1,3,1
#4 Alireza Heidari 72 3,1,2,2,2,3
#5 Hassan Yazdani 70 2,1,1,3,1
#5 Rasoul Khadem 70 3,1,1,1,2
#7 Alireza Dabir 68 1,2,1,2,2
#8 Emam-Ali Habibi 64 1,1,1,1
#9 Hassan Rahimi 58 3,1,3,2,3
#9 Mansour Mehdizadeh 58 1,1,3,1
#11 Ebrahim Seifpour 54 3,1,2,1