wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

12 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

irani and shiraz, entertaining to read your discussion and observations.  Refreshing to listen to people who are enthusiasts and know what they are talking about.  Thank you.

Thanks Coach J

I think what you mean is that you enjoy watching me post incorrect information, and have Shiraz correct me :)

I was checking the entries for the World Military Games. the Iranian squad is completely different than what it was supposed to be ! Shabani, Afzali, Mohebbi and a guy I don't know ! considering Taheri and Saravi. 5 of these guys wrestled at the Worlds this year.

https://results.wuhan2019mwg.cn/index.htm#/sport/sportitem?sportcode=wre

Russia has Rashidov, Baitsaev, Tsabolov and Naifonov plus 4 tier 1 wrestlers in Greco

it's like a serious event, lots of big names here. Akgul. Kayaalp !

10 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Wow never heard of that Iran 86 in my life. Who the hell is that? 

googling his name. he came second in U23 trials at 92kg after beating Arashk Mohebbi (and lost to Shahbazi) had some non impressive results in local tournaments in junior level. probably his first ever international tournament.

10 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

googling his name. he came second in U23 trials at 92kg after beating Arashk Mohebbi (and lost to Shahbazi) had some non impressive results in local tournaments in junior level. probably his first ever international tournament.

If Wrestfan had not heard of him before, then he does not exist!  We finally found a wrestler Wrestfan had to google!

Iran's squad is exactly what it was supposed to be. not the one we saw in the official website.

Mehran Sheikhi was terrible and got teched by North Korea

Bazri after losing 6-3 to Naifonov, came back to beat some good (but not great) wrestlers to win the bronze. Russia won 3 gold by Tsabolov, Rashidov and Naifonov. Bazri was the only wrestlers who made some problems for the Russian wrestlers. we have Mohammadian and Mohebbi tomorrow. Mohammadian will face Baitsaev in the semifinal (if he goes that far) and Mohebbi has Deng in his bracket, Akgul is on the opposite side.

5 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Whoever that guy was it didn't matter because they sent Bazri anyway and he lost a close one to Naifanov.

As you know, the Iranian wrestling federation monitors this forum very carefully,  Once the read that Wrestan has not heard of the wrestler they had selected, they immediately got rid of him and replaced him with Bazri

both Mohammadian and Mohebbi made it to the final.

Mohebbi beat Deng 3-1 and he will be up against Akgul in the final, the last time they wrestled in Yasar Dogu it was very easy for Akgul.

but Mohammadian was surprising by teching Baitsaev 11-0 ! isn't Baitsaev #2 in Russia only behind the great Sadulaev ? that's pretty impressive for someone who was out of competitive wrestling for 4 years ! his final won't be easy against Hushtyn

at least Russia is not going back home with 4 gold medals lol (countries are limited to 4 in each style)

Edited by wrestfan

He is their number 2 for the past few years. Although to be fair a few of their guys retired or are trying to wrestle for other countries since 2017. So maybe that elevated him. He was close with Sadulaev in their 2017 trials but the gap is big now. 

Mohebbi lost 3-0 to Akgul. Mohammadian beat Hushtyn 3-2 and won the gold medal. hopefully we can see the videos later.

I was thinking 97kg is probably the most competitive weight in Iran right now. there are 5-6 guys who can win a world medal with a good draw, but none of them are A level.

and about Mohebbi, I think this guy could be the world champion if he started wrestling earlier which is weird, he comes from a wrestling family (probably the 2nd famous wrestling family in Iran) and yet he started wrestling something around the age of  19 !!! obviously he can't learn technique now. at least if Hadi doesn't recover in time for the qualifiers Mohebbi also can easily qualify the weight for Iran.

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

I was thinking 97kg is probably the most competitive weight in Iran right now. there are 5-6 guys who can win a world medal with a good draw, but none of them are A level.

How would Mohammadian do against Karimi?  In my opinion, unless some of the really younger guys really elevate their games, 97 is between Karimi and Mohammadian

1 hour ago, irani said:

How would Mohammadian do against Karimi?  In my opinion, unless some of the really younger guys really elevate their games, 97 is between Karimi and Mohammadian

Karimi never wrestled 97kg in Iran (as far as I remember) so it's hard to predict. Mohammadian lost to Nejatian in the nationals , still too early to judge on him but this gold medal here shows he is one of the favorites in this weight, we also have Yazdani, Shaabani, Foroutan and Talebi. they are all capable of winning a bronze or something with a good draw.  interestingly except Karimi they are all from Mazandaran.

PS: I didn't see Talebi recently (after the trials) I heard some rumors about a possible positive drug test.  they won't make it public until it's official so for now consider it just a rumor.

speaking of Foroutan he just lost a close match to Amin Taheri  (after a dubious call) in a league match at 125kg. I know Taheri is no big deal but still it was interesting Foroutan can compete with heavier guys. there was also an interesting match between Afzali and Dadashpour at 74kg which Dadashpour won 9-2. so far I saw Tuskaev, Lomtadze, Edisherashvili and Hasanov as foreign wrestlers in the league but I'm sure we will see more in future.

1 minute ago, wrestfan said:

Karimi never wrestled 97kg in Iran (as far as I remember) so it's hard to predict. Mohammadian lost to Nejatian in the nationals , still too early to judge on him but this gold medal here shows he is one of the favorites in this weight, we also have Yazdani, Shaabani, Foroutan and Talebi. they are all capable of winning a bronze or something with a good draw.  interestingly except Karimi they are all from Mazandaran.

PS: I didn't see Talebi recently (after the trials) I heard some rumors about a possible positive drug test.  they won't make it public until it's official so for now consider it just a rumor.

speaking of Foroutan he just lost a close match to Amin Taheri  (after a dubious call) in a league match at 125kg. I know Taheri is no big deal but still it was interesting Foroutan can compete with heavier guys. there was also an interesting match between Afzali and Dadashpour at 74kg which Dadashpour won 9-2. so far I saw Tuskaev, Lomtadze, Edisherashvili and Hasanov as foreign wrestlers in the league but I'm sure we will see more in future.

I have lost hope in Shaabani after his last outing, and I am not too optimistic about Yazdani being able to stay healthy

I would be happy to be wrong in either sentiment

On 7/29/2019 at 5:01 PM, irani said:

Based in their performance in Tae Kwan do and Wushu, I would have to agree they would do pretty well in wrestling  

Regarding the pretty comment, here are a few I would not kick out of bed http://beauty-around.com/en/tops/item/976-most-beautiful-iranian-women

Sorry, I really fell behind on this thread but will catch up. Haven't been as active on the boards due a busy schedule.

But anyway, irani, could you hook me up with # 17? If not, # 8? They're beautiful!

14 minutes ago, 2td3nf said:

Sorry, I really fell behind on this thread but will catch up. Haven't been as active on the boards due a busy schedule.

But anyway, irani, could you hook me up with # 17? If not, # 8? They're beautiful!

If I was able to hook anyone with either one, I would do so for myself.  However, since I feel like you and I have become friends, I am willing to try to to introduce you to the Saudi Arabian Judo athlete below

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

You are welcome!

Edited by irani

5 hours ago, irani said:

I have lost hope in Shaabani after his last outing, and I am not too optimistic about Yazdani being able to stay healthy

I would be happy to be wrong in either sentiment

Shabani lacks international experience, most of other guys (if not all) come from the youth/junior system and wrestled with non-Iranian wrestlers before. but I think for Shaabani this is very limited to Worlds U23 last year and Yasar Dogu this year (am I right ? ) this is a different style you have to learn how to deal with. I know he was disappointing in Astana but this is too early to write him off. I can imagine he learned a lot from losing to Odikadze.

I have no problem if they send Atri, H. Yazdani and Hadi to the Olympics without trials but in this weight we surely need it to make things clear. personally I don't know who is my pick here. I can see pros and cons in picking any of the them. to me they are all B+

Admittedly, I may be giving too much credit to Mohammadian, but the man just teched Baitsaev 11-0, and then defeated  Hushtyn 3-2,

That elevates his status in my book, significantly

Edited by irani

according to IAWF, this year Takhti Cup will be the main "trial event" (or maybe i should say pre-trial) for the Olympics, whoever misses the Takhti Cup will miss the Olympics

they announced a list of eligible wrestlers for Takhti Cup, this list includes last year world team members, Nationals gold medalists, U23 world team members, Military Games medalists, + Maghsoudi and Foroutan as Juniors gold medalists and Hadi and R. Yazdani as trial winners last  year (even though they didn't go to the worlds)

there will be extra trials for the remaining wrestlers to qualify for the Takhti Cup

beside that, they made 5 wrestlers exempt from the Takhti Cup , this year World medalists + Atri ! all other wrestlers except these guys (Ehsanpour, Emami, Karimi, H. Yazdani and Atri) have to wrestle in Takhti Cup.

97kg will be very interesting if everybody shows up, we will have R. Yazdani, Mohammadian, Foroutan, Goleij and Shaabani. ! Hadi/Mohebbi at 125 will be interesting too.

I can't see Hosseinkhani in the list , we know he is recovering from a surgery, I think if he fully recovers they will give him a chance.

4 hours ago, The Genius said:

Why no rep at 79kg at U23 worlds? 

Savadkouhi denied visa, apparently his own mistake, renewing his expired passport a bit late

very stupid way to lose a big competition, biggest competition ever for him and he could be a medal favorite