wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Savadkouhi denied visa, apparently his own mistake, renewing his expired passport a bit late

very stupid way to lose a big competition, biggest competition ever for him and he could be a medal favorite

There is so much incompetence in Iranian sportsmen, first Kianoush Rostami and Alihosseini totally mess up with basic rules and are now out of contention for 2020 Olympics and now this in the space of a few days.

3 wrestlers in semifinal is good but all 3 of them made things harder than it should be for themselves. Goleij is weaker than 2 years ago when he won the same tournament. never saw this Hosseini kid before. he is going to lose to Veliev in the semifinal.

Sarlak looks improved but just a bit. he is still long way behind Atri ! I mean Atri, not Uguev !

I expect Sarlak and Goleij winning the semifinal, no chance for Hosseini.

Sarlak is in the semis at 57kg (vs KAZ), good run so far defeating ARM JPN and GEO. Impressive defence at the end of his match vs GEO too, usually an Iranian that tries that gets thrown for 4 and loses.

At 65kg Hajipour got pinned by the American in the first round as mentioned above. 

Hosseini at 70kg is also in the semis (vs a very strong favourite RUS), beat a tough Armenian in the first round. 

Goleij (lol) is in the SF at 97kg (vs BLR). 

3/4 in the semis so far.

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Sarlak looks improved but just a bit. he is still long way behind Atri ! I mean Atri, not Uguev !

OK I took it back, Sarlak is still the same ****, this Kazakh kid was World Junior bronze medalist this year. and Sarlak found a way to lose to him.

Goleij keeps excellent position. He throws the left underhook in and he keeps his head tight to the other wrestler's chest. He is effective at getting into scoring positions, but I see his weakness as lack of ability to convert. He scores too many one point pushouts that should be two point takedowns and possibly turns. This keeps his matches closer than they should be. 

7 hours ago, wrestfan said:

@Shiraz123 what do you think about Goleij-Musaev in the final ? is Musaev that type of guy Goleij can beat by just pushing and pushing ? Musaev looked good today but also didn't face a quality wrestler.

We both know that as long as it is some kind of age group tournament Goleij is invincible, lol. 

Hard to say because this guy won the Yarygin and was third in their nationals. So he's not just  a random age group wrestler. I thought some of the guys Goleij beat looked very poor also. I'll say Musaev wins.

Ghasempour starts with a 5-0  comfortable win over Armenia. Got a takedown and turn and then shut down the match. I read an article saying he got injured recently training so it will be interesting to see what happens. 

Another thing. Last night I took a quick look thought Nokhodi got a easy draw. Looking again I believe the Hungarian on his side is the same Russian transfer who gave Burroughs a very tough match at worlds. 

No way Nokhodi beats this guy in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Why do Iranian fans not like Goleig? He isn’t fun to watch but he has some very high level wins

Speaking for myself he is boring and has a style that basically makes it impossible for him to make an Iranian senior world team (unless he loses in the trials and they just send him anyway like in 2018). His wins are mostly age level wins, he has been weak on the senior level. 

Yakheshi loses 13-6 to European Champ Harutyunyan (ARM) in a very entertaining match. Was down 8-0 after the first period but it looked like Yakheshi's insane pace was making Harutynyan tired and he started finding opportunities to score on him, but he held on. 

whoever watched this Armenian kid before, should knew he can wrestle only for 4 minutes against likes of Yakhkeshi, I was OK with Yakhkeshi being down 4-0. but he somehow threw himself for 4more pts and made it 8-0 and almost impossible to come back. I know Harutyunian is a very good wrestler but Yakhkeshi could win the match easily if he just had a plan. but he came to the mat like he just woke up or something, he was confused for the first minute, like this is his first match ever.

if I had to make prediction today morning, I would say there are 2 "tough matches" ahead of Iranian wrestlers today, 1st round of Shahbazi and 2nd round of Yakhkeshi, so it wasn't a good day so far, Iran (despite having only 9 wrestlers) still has a shot for the team title mostly because the Russian team is also not that great.

btw at 2-0, Yakhkeshi was out of the mat for something like 20 seconds, both legs, and yet the ref allowed the Armenian to work and finally score a 2pts takedown ! now compare it to Emami-Kazakhstan in Worlds semifinal. when Emami had takedown and gut wrench and the UWW officials gave him just 1pt for pushout !! and then tell me the UWW is not corrupt.

6 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Are Yakhkeshi, Goleij and Zare the product of the same coach? They are all from Mazandaran and wrestle the same style. Honest question. 

that's a legit question but they are from different cities, so I assume not, Goleij is from Tonekabon, Zare from Amol and Yakhkeshi from Galoogah (like Ahmad Bazri)

Ghasempour beat Gocen (TUR) in the SF 4-4. The Gocen beat PD (USA) at Yasar Dogu earlier this year so he's decent enough, and he fought like hell to avoid giving up any TDs. But a disappointing performance from Ghasempour, he didn't convert some of his attempts, didn't look as defensively solid as usual and seemed gassed 4-5 minutes in.