wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Wow Ghasempour seems out of form. Worst i've seen him look in a long while. Injury story definitely true. He has a guy in the final he has beat multiple times (destroyed him a few months ago in Georgia) but I could see it being close or him even losing. 

Zare techs the Georgian 11-0 in the SF. Very impressive performance from him! Looks much more well rounded than the typical push out ad infinitum strategy he had before. 

Wow Goloev (RUS) just teched the highly touted Kerkvliet (USA) in about a minute... Zare-Goloev final tomorrow.

Goloev looks closer to 40 than 23 to my eyes...

Ghasempour is indeed injured, even his participation here was doubtful until few days ago, he wrestled a league match few days ago against Jalal Zaman and won it only 2-0. in his first 3 matches I think he only tried 1 takedown and 1 gut wrench but this Turkish guy was obviously better and made him try harder.

I liked Zare here, he is not as one-dimensional as Goleij, he can do other things. and considering he is just 17, this is a good result already and I think he won't be an underdog against the Russian in the final.

btw you guys watched Nokhodi's SF ? I had no "Mat C" until the middle of Ghasempour's match. and yeah I was VERY surprised with the score. good for Nokhodi. the Russian Zhamalov also looked very beatable.

1 minute ago, wrestfan said:

I liked Zare here, he is not as one-dimensional as Goleij, he can do other things. and considering he is just 17, this is a good result already and I think he won't be an underdog against the Russian in the final.

I don't know about not being an underdog, did you see Goloev lol... But I agree that reaching the final is a great achievement already for his age and he is showing improvement as well which is even better for a young wrestler. 

3 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Ghasempour is indeed injured, even his participation here was doubtful until few days ago, he wrestled a league match few days ago against Jalal Zaman and won it only 2-0. in his first 3 matches I think he only tried 1 takedown and 1 gut wrench but this Turkish guy was obviously better and made him try harder.

btw you guys watched Nokhodi's SF ? I had no "Mat C" until the middle of Ghasempour's match. and yeah I was VERY surprised with the score. good for Nokhodi. the Russian Zhamalov also looked very beatable.

I thought the same thing about Zare. His style is based on pushing but he is showing improvement and can do other things. Goleij is still the same wrestler he was when he won junior worlds in 2015 except he has gained some weight. But are you sure he is 17? That would make him a cadet right now. I doubt it considering he has wrestled juniors and U23. 

Sarlak beats Mongolian 7-4 and wins Bronze at 57kg.

He should have been in the final really but only lost on criteria and the Kazakh could win gold so I don't want to be too harsh on him... But clearly he's not ready to challenge Atri. 

EDIT: The Kazakh just got mauled by the Cuban in about a minute, so now I can be harsh on Sarlak. 

Edited by The Genius

11 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

I thought the same thing about Zare. His style is based on pushing but he is showing improvement and can do other things. Goleij is still the same wrestler he was when he won junior worlds in 2015 except he has gained some weight. But are you sure he is 17? That would make him a cadet right now. I doubt it considering he has wrestled juniors and U23. 

I think you are right, he is 18. but still younger than all of these guys here. considering this is super heavy weight and they don't have to cut weight, I think we will see more of him in the future. at least he is getting better (unlike most of other guys)

17 minutes ago, The Genius said:

I don't know about not being an underdog, did you see Goloev lol... But I agree that reaching the final is a great achievement already for his age and he is showing improvement as well which is even better for a young wrestler. 

You also should watch Goloev's match vs Mongolia where he just survived 3-2 , he is not that good.

Just now, Shiraz123 said:

Hopefully UWW makes U-25 next because Goleij is unstoppable in age group tournaments 

They should just trick him, send him to the Olympics and tell him it's the U40 championship!

Goleij beat Musaev (RUS) 8-2 in the final and WINS GOLD! 

Great performance and great tournament from Goleij. 

Once Goleij realised that Musaev was going for the exact same move every time he was able to counter it pretty easily and Musaev was broken after 4 minutes. 

I think Goleij can beat anybody in the world (maybe except Rashid khan) if he gets past the storm in the first period. but that's a big IF, Alborov manhandled him last year in first period. it's just much harder to beat elite senior wrestlers this way, they always find a way to score multiple times on Goleij early in the match.

for obvious reasons Goleij always struggles in Iran, because this tactic doesn't work in Iran, even in U23 trials he lost to some unknown guy, he got lucky it was a round robin competition and he ended up winning the trials narrowly.

still always nice to beat Russia in wrestling, the team title is almost gone thanks to Yakhkeshi though.

3 minutes ago, irani said:

Thanks to Yakhkeshi, Hosseini, and Savadkouhi

yeah but Yakhkeshi's match was crucial, and he was supposed to be "experienced".  and to be honest Hosseini wasn't just in this level. I don't know how he made the team anyway !? I was checking the trial results and it seems he lost to a guy (also unknown) 12-1 in the first round ! beat him in the re-trial to make the team. that's why I don't blame him. even 5th place was good for him even though he lost the bronze medal match to his own mistake.

Savadkouhi yes, that was a dumb mistake, he claims he gave his passport to IAWF's guys and only few days before the tournament they told him "your passport is expired, you have to renew it" which was too late. even though IAWF officials were also incompetent but still Savadkouhi should check his own passport !!

Just now, wrestfan said:

Savadkouhi yes, that was a dumb mistake, he claims he gave his passport to IAWF's guys and only few days before the tournament they told him "your passport is expired, you have to renew it" which was too late. even though IAWF officials were also incompetent but still Savadkouhi should check his own passport !!

I disagree with you on this one.  Savadkouhi has some blame, but come on, he is a young kid who probably didn't even know Passports expire.  the IAWS officials' job is to take care of this none sense, so they deserve majority of the blame.

Here is what I don't understand.  Once they found out Savakouhi's passport had expired, couldn't they get a visa for the runner up?

3 minutes ago, irani said:

I disagree with you on this one.  Savadkouhi has some blame, but come on, he is a young kid who probably didn't even know Passports expire.  the IAWS officials' job is to take care of this none sense, so they deserve majority of the blame.

Here is what I don't understand.  Once they found out Savakouhi's passport had expired, couldn't they get a visa for the runner up?

This is U23 not cadets! He is an adult so it is his responsibility and he should act like it

Just now, The Genius said:

This is U23 not cadets! He is an adult so it is his responsibility and he should act like it

He is at most 23.  He is young and not very sophisticated.   Yes, he should take some blame, but the officials are the main culprits in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, irani said:

You are right but you should not trust the officials doing their job in Iran, this is your career, not them. this is your biggest competition ever. you have to double check everything to make sure.

no getting visa for Iranians is a long process, not possible for someone new in just few days, it seems if they had couple more days Savadkouhi could make it himself. he is in mandatory military service now and needed more paperwork to renew his passport.

1 minute ago, irani said:

He is at most 23.  He is young and not very sophisticated.   Yes, he should take some blame, but the officials are the main culprits in my opinion.

He was in juniors last year so it seems he is 17-19 years old. But that is old enough to have basic responsibilities, he is not a kid. 

Interestingly, Savadkouhi beat the Indian Gulia 8-2 at the Asian U23s champs in March this year. Gulia narrowly lost his Bronze medal match vs Russia 5-4 today, so Savadkouhi would have been a medal contender if he was here, which is a shame.

1 minute ago, wrestfan said:

You are right but you should not trust the officials doing their job in Iran, this is your career, not them. this is your biggest competition ever. you have to double check everything to make sure.

100% correct! Unfortunately, Rostami also didn't learn this lesson:

1 minute ago, The Genius said:

100% correct! Unfortunately, Rostami also didn't learn this lesson:

This is the clusterF**K of the century.  A sure olympic medal wasted due to stupidity

13 minutes ago, irani said:

This is the clusterF**K of the century.  A sure olympic medal wasted due to stupidity

Luckily, only one of Rostami and Sohrab Moradi could represent Iran at 96kg in 2020 and Moradi is far better than Rostami anyway (it is his natural weight class whereas Rostami is moving up from 85kg). But Moradi has had a lot of injuries lately so Rostami would have been a great back up. Rostami said he will retire now because he can't compete in 2020, which is sad because he is one of the great Iranian weightlifters so for his career to potentially end like this over a late form is not what you want to see. 

I’ve been talking about how good Goleij is for years and you guys have consistently told me he sucks. 

why is an American a bigger fan of your guy than you are?! I know Iranians are the most critical fans in the world, but damn. Goleij is the most credentialed Iranian non world wrestler ever