wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

34 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I’ve been talking about how good Goleij is for years and you guys have consistently told me he sucks. 

why is an American a bigger fan of your guy than you are?! I know Iranians are the most critical fans in the world, but damn. Goleij is the most credentialed Iranian non world wrestler ever

You explain to us why American fans dislike Taylor so much, and I will come up with an answer for Goleji :)

37 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I’ve been talking about how good Goleij is for years and you guys have consistently told me he sucks. 

why is an American a bigger fan of your guy than you are?! I know Iranians are the most critical fans in the world, but damn. Goleij is the most credentialed Iranian non world wrestler ever

Mostly just Shiraz is very passionately critical of Goleij. I think the fact he got teched by Alborov twice in 2018 (Yasar Dogu then Worlds) was embarrassing, especially when Shabani then teched Alborov not that long after. He also has a reputation for being very one dimensional with his wrestling. But he is still only 22 (at most) and has good senior level wins too already, so I for one think he will be a contender at 97kg for Iran in the coming years. 

By the way, Nokhodi's Russian opponent in the Gold final tomorrow (Zhamalov) is very strong. U23 European Champ 2019 and only came second at Russian 2019 nationals in July behind Baev, who he had a controversial and close 10*-10 loss to:

So if Nokhodi can do well against him that will be very impressive. I think we can expect a high-scoring match whatever happens, because Nokhodi and Zhamalov are always involved in crazy matches!

Edited by The Genius

After analyzing this thread, I think the four Iranian guys on this thread need to change their aliases as follows:

Wrestfan - change to Encyclopedia - knows anything and everything about every wrestler in Iran 

Genius - change to CNN - always first to post the latest news

Shiraz123 - change to Mr. Positivity :)   Always predicting bad losses for Iranian wrestlers, and always first to point out how bad losses were when they actually happen

Me - Misinformed!   I have posted so many wrong posts in the last few weeks, that I deserve that alias

30 minutes ago, irani said:

You explain to us why American fans dislike Taylor so much, and I will come up with an answer for Goleji :)

Irani, American fans dislike Taylor so much for a couple of reasons. First, he wrestled for Penn State, a program that has dominated NCAA wrestling for the past 7 or 8 years. Taylor was very successful at PSU, and he scored a lot of points in contributing to the NCAA championships. Fans of other programs naturally do not like him, and as I'm sure you've seen from other threads here, there is a lot of resentment and bad feelings for just about anyone at PSU, be it Cael Sanderson, Bo Nickal, Jason Nolf, etc. Second, Taylor is a bit of a "golden boy". He is whitebread, he became very well-known as a young wrestler in high school, and it's easy to root against the golden boy. I personally often support dark horses and hope for upsets. Third, there have been some controversies with Taylor, including his poor choice of speaking out on social media after losing to J'den Cox in the "slippery match". FLO wrestling and other media have made it easy for wrestlers to seek the social media, or speak out too quickly after a match, while the emotion and physical aspect are still interfering with logical thought. I prefer the strategy of Sadulaev and Hassan Yazdani and their ilk; just say that the person you wrestled is a great competitor and you're grateful to have the opportunity to represent your country in the tournament. I believe that a lot of American wrestlers, Kyle Snyder would be a good example, have learned not to speak out too much after matches. It pisses people off, the way Kyle's statement after beating Sadulaev that Sad's coaches made a mistake in telling him to move up to 97kg and that Kyle would beat him by a bigger margin in future matches did. That just gives your opponent something to train for, and is not a good strategy.

Edited by pa in taiwan

lol I have to be honest I am biased against the pushers. I don't like to watch it at all. I will admit he is not the worst one, Yakhkeshi is trying to push at 61kg which I think is a bit ridiculous. Goleij is an age group terror but can he convert to seniors? We have the Takhti cup coming up where all of our top 97kg wrestlers should attend. I don't know who will win but I am almost sure Goleij will do poorly. As Wrestfan said his style is completely ineffective in Iran. I will give an example :

He won 2015 junior worlds with ease. The year after they had a trial for him in Iran with 3 other wrestlers and he lost every match. The guy who went to junior worlds in his place lost his first match by tech and was eliminated when his opponent didn't make the final. 

12 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

lol I have to be honest I am biased against the pushers. I don't like to watch it at all. I will admit he is not the worst one, Yakhkeshi is trying to push at 61kg which I think is a bit ridiculous.

Yakhkeshi won his first match vs USA 6-4 thanks to 6 push outs lol

14 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

lol I have to be honest I am biased against the pushers. I don't like to watch it at all.

It's hard to argue against this.  If you want to wash push outs go watch sumo wrestling.  It's ok to use push outs strategically from time to time, but if that's all you, you are not a wrestler

1 minute ago, The Genius said:

Yakhkeshi won his first match vs USA 6-4 thanks to 6 push outs lol

No idea who that American was but i'm guessing he is not too high on their 61kg ladder. Yakhkeshi is literally our number 2 and was even on a senior world team. I'm sure you remember what happened to him in the 2018 bronze match when he hit an American who he couldn't bully around the mat. 

2 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

No idea who that American was but i'm guessing he is not too high on their 61kg ladder. Yakhkeshi is literally our number 2 and was even on a senior world team. I'm sure you remember what happened to him in the 2018 bronze match when he hit an American who he couldn't bully around the mat. 

Yeah I'm not defending his style I just found that funny (I found the Colon match much less funny though...). He's still very young though and has a lot of international experience with some decent senior wins for his age (though at that weight a lot of the top guys peak at a young age), to me his problem is inconsistency/unreliability but that might be down to his style as you hint at. 

I have absolutely no problem with any kind of style as long as it gets results, ugly or not, but you should have other plans, Goleij simply has no plan B, therefore in a big tournament, he will lose to someone somewhere in the draw.

I was watching his final with a friend of mine and when he gave up a relatively easy TD, my friend reaction was like "how easy he gave up 2points, he is going to lose, he is now behind" and I told him, Goleij is exactly where he was planned to be, being down by just 1pt after the first period was just perfect for him. but things don't always go as planned. you need plan B sometimes.

and his plan A usually doesn't work in Iran, he lost several times to weaker Iranian wrestlers, he will never win the trials in Iran, even in 2018 as Shiraz said he lost the trials (to Goudarzi ?) but they still sent him. specially this year with lots of better wrestlers, no way he can beat Yazdani, Karimi, Mohammadian, Shaabani, Foroutan ! maybe not even one of them, let alone beating all of them. but still it's a good thing he is back, more competition is always better.

just for the record, this is his in U23 team trials,  with 7 wrestlers, it was in 2 groups

Goleij 8-7 Danial Shariati, Goleij 10-0 Mousa Tatari, winning the group

semifinal Goleij 2-3 Meisam Abdi !! 3rd place match Goleij 4-2 Masoud Khajeh-Salehani, eventually Shariati who lost to Goleij ended up winning the trials.

but since they weren't satisfied with the results, they had extra trials in some weights including 97kg and they gave Goleij a second chance, here is the result

Goleij 5-1 Shariati, Shariati 2-2 Abdi (Shariati winner) and Goleij 2-2 Abdi (Abdi Winner), 1-1 record and 4 classification points for all 3 of them, Goleij won the trials just by scoring more points !! as you see he had lots of close matches,

----------------------------------------------------

speaking of U23 trials, here are the complete results http://iawf.ir/Public/iawf.ir/1/results/entekhabi-omid-FS-98.pdf

but since there were some U23 wrestlers in the senior team camp and also for the World Juniors, they gave some chances to those wrestlers to challenge the trial winners. in most weights, the trial winner only had to wrestle once, the winner of other challenger matches.  I think this is probably interesting to review the trial results now the Worlds U23 is almost done.

57, Sarlak dominated the original trials. no need for extra

61, Yakhkeshi won the trials, no more matches needed

65, Hajipour won the trials after couple of close wins, also beat Peiman Biabani 3-2 in the extra trials. World Junior champion Maghsoudi was supposed to wrestle but withdrew

70, A guy named Amir Reza Akbarzadeh (apparently only a Asian cadet bronze medalist) won the trials beating Hosseini in the final 12-2 but they weren't satisfied, invited all 4 medalists + Firouzpour (world junior bronze medalist), but Firouzpour didn't make weight and moved up to 74kg, First Farhad Nouri beat the other bronze medalist, then Nouri lost to Hosseini (silver medalist) and then Hosseini challenged the trial winner Akbarzadeh, this time beat him 5-4 to make the team. I don't know this guy Akbarzadeh but he can't be worse than Hosseini.

74, Nima Eshfaghi won the trials, they invited him, 2nd placer, Firouzpour (read 70kg) and Nokhodi for the extra trials, Nokhodi beat 2 guys to meet Eshfaghi in the final, won that match 10-5 to make the team.

79, Savadkouhi won the trials, no need for more (already talked about his passport)

86, Ghasempour completely dominated the trials, no need for more (Ahmad Bazri who is also U23 didn't wrestle)

92, Shahbazi won the trials, beating our unknown friend Mirbaghian (remember him from the CISM Games ?) in the final but for some reasons and since their favorite Arashk Mohebbi lost to Mirbaghian in the semifinal, they invited all 3 of them for the extra trials, first Mirbaghian beat Mohebbi again 7-2 but lost to Shahbazi 11-0

97, Shariati won the trials but as I explained above, he lost a match to Goleij, so the extra trial was supposed to be round robin between those 3 guys and World Junior Champion Foroutan but Foroutan withdrew, Goleij won the trials despite losing again to Abdi. imagine it wasn't round robin and if it was like other weights. he was done after losing to Abdi.

125, Mehdi Hashemi won the trials, he was supposed to wrestle world junior silver medalist Zare in extra trials but withdrew for unknown reasons and Zare made the team without doing anything.

wow. what a long post but that was interesting for myself

Predictions before the finals begin with in the next hour or so: Nokhodi to lose wide vs Zhamalov (RUS) at 74kg, possibly VSU. Ghasempour to win a close match VPO1 vs Magomedsaidov (AZE) at 86kg (only because he is far from 100%, the opponent is nothing special and he teched him a few months ago). Zare to win a close match vs Goloev (RUS) at 125kg, VPO1. 

Shahbazi to lose wide vs Zubairov (AZE) and miss out on Bronze at 92kg, probably VPO1.

11 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Predictions before the finals begin with in the next hour or so: Nokhodi to lose wide vs Zhamalov (RUS) at 74kg, possibly VSU. Ghasempour to win a close match VPO1 vs Magomedsaidov (AZE) at 86kg (only because he is far from 100%, the opponent is nothing special and he teched him a few months ago). Zare to win a close match vs Goloev (RUS) at 125kg, VPO1. 

Shahbazi to lose wide vs Zubairov (AZE) and miss out on Bronze at 92kg, probably VPO1.

This would not be a terrible outcome!

74kg: Nokhodi loses to Zhamalov 8-1 (as expected) and WINS SILVER. Zhamalov was just a lot better, but Nokhodi still had a good tournament and beat some good guys. It's no shame to lose to a guy that is neck-and-neck with Baev the reigning 70kg world champion. Definitely a better option than Afzali at least!

This is not a bad result to win a silver in Worlds U23 when you are still U20 but honestly I don't think Nokhodi ever develops to be a world level wrestler.

he was lucky with the draw to be honest and yes that Hungarian guy was overrated, one good match vs Burroughs doesn't make you a great wrestler, Hosseinkhani almost beat Burroughs a year before.

86kg: Ghasempour beats Magomedsaidov (AZE) 9-3 and WINS GOLD. Looked bad in the first period but much better in the second. We didn't really learn anything about Ghasempour this tournament, but he's now a 2x U23 World Champ. 

1 minute ago, The Genius said:

92kg: Shahbazi beats 2018 U23 World Champ Zubairov (AZE) 5-1 and WINS BRONZE (his second U23 World Bronze medal). Quite an easy win for Shahbazi, not sure how Zubairov won this thing last year. 

Well, you final got one of your predictions wrong, and I am glad!  I hope you end up 3-1 with your predictions

2 minutes ago, irani said:

Well, you final got one of your predictions wrong, and I am glad!  I hope you end up 3-1 with your predictions

Zare vs Goloev will be difficult for Zare too because I think Goloev is 3-4 years older than Zare and that age difference mattered a lot for the American at the weight who got destroyed by Goloev... As long as Zare doesn't get teched or pinned I will be happy with him, but I think he can win as well.

Just now, The Genius said:

Zare vs Goloev will be difficult for Zare too because I think Goloev is 3-4 years older than Zare and that age difference mattered a lot for the American at the weight who got destroyed by Goloev... As long as Zare doesn't get teched or pinned I will be happy with him, but I think he can win as well.

What?  You predicted Zare will win!  You cannot change your prediction now!  If Zare loses, I hold you accountable.

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

Zare to win a close match vs Goloev (RUS) at 125kg, VPO1.