Jump to content
wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Recommended Posts

Just now, irani said:

What?  You predicted Zare will win!  You cannot change your prediction now!  If Zare loses, I hold you accountable.

This one is really 50/50 and I think Zare can win still. But even if he doesn't it's still a great tournament for him in my opinion is just what I was saying the second time ;-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Genius said:

This one is really 50/50 and I think Zare can win still. But even if he doesn't it's still a great tournament for him in my opinion is just what I was saying the second time ;-) 

I think you have spent too much time talking to @Shiraz123, and you are just not as positive as you usually are!  Zare will win!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Zare destroys Goloev (RUS) 10- in the final within 4 years and wins Gold, just as I predicted!

@irani I told you he would win! I never had a single doubt in my mind! ;-) 

LOL, never had a single doubt in your mind.  If only, I had something from you in writing showing that you had doubts :)

All and all, a very positive outcome for the U23 team that was one more short

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a very dominant and impressive win by Zare over a 3-4 years older and solid Russian competitor (2x European U23 Bronze and now World U23 Silver). 

Zare is the stand-out guy of the tournament for me. In the last 15 months Zare has won: World Cadets gold, World Juniors silver and now World U23 gold.

This is a very young guy that is transitioning through the age groups very quickly and very well, whilst making noticeable improvements to his game. 

EDIT: Also I forgot to mention that Zare won every match this tournament by VSU :-) 

Edited by The Genius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 Golds (Ghasempour 86kg, Goleij 97kg and Zare 125kg), 1 Silver (Nokhodi 74kg) and 2 Bronze (Sarlak 57kg and Shahbazi 92kg).

6 medals from 9 athletes is a very good return. Savadkouhi should have got a medal too so that would have been 7/10 in a parallel universe where young Iranian wrestlers make sure their passports are valid before they travel abroad. 

Most impressive: Zare was the best for me (as above). Sarlak also had a decent run but clearly the Cuban at 57kg was way above everyone else. Goleij was very good too of course but we kind of expect him to win these kind of tournament so it doesn't seem as impressive. 

Least impressive: Yakhkeshi at 61kg or Hajipour at 65kg were both terrible. Yakhkeshi should have beaten Hartyunyan (who clearly wasn't at his best in this tournament) and showed the same old problems. He did at least get some wins and show some potential (unrealised), Hajipour and Hosseini were just totally out of their depth at this level.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Genius said:

3 Golds (Ghasempour 86kg, Goleij 97kg and Zare 125kg), 1 Silver (Nokhodi 74kg) and 2 Bronze (Sarlak 57kg and Shahbazi 92kg).

6 medals from 9 athletes is a very good return. Savadkouhi should have got a medal too so that would have been 7/10 in a parallel universe where young Iranian wrestlers make sure their passports are valid before they travel abroad. 

Most impressive: Zare was the best for me (as above). Sarlak also had a decent run but clearly the Cuban at 57kg was way above everyone else. Goleij was very good too of course but we kind of expect him to win these kind of tournament so it doesn't seem as impressive. 

Least impressive: Yakhkeshi at 61kg or Hajipour at 65kg were both terrible. Yakhkeshi should have beaten Hartyunyan (who clearly wasn't at his best in this tournament) and showed the same old problems. He did at least get some wins and show some potential (unrealised), Hajipour and Hosseini were just totally out of their depth at this level.  

Your assessment is fair and balanced!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Final team rankings:

1. Russia

2. Iran

3. Azerbaijan 

Not sure how close it was at the top between Russia and Iran. I hope for the sake of Savadkouhi that it was not 15 points or less...

Ouch, difference was six points! 

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/arena/weight-category/3c8c7e92-f809-11e9-98d0-080027497a7f/team-ranking.pdf

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, irani said:

Wow, that's annoying. First we get unlucky with the cadets team race with the nonsense DQ and now Savadkouhi's passport costs us #1 here.

We have a full team for GR at least lol, I'm looking forward to seeing the 2018 JW Champs (Nasserpour, Saravi and Yousofi) in particular.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Genius said:

We have a full team for GR at least lol, I'm looking forward to seeing the 2018 JW Champs (Nasserpour, Saravi and Yousofi) in particular.  

we have a full GR team, but do not underestimate the ability of our team to find a way to F*** it up.  Short sleeve shirt at the podium, tantrum resulting in disqualification, taking the wrong bus to the wrong stadium?  They might still find a way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, irani said:

we have a full GR team, but do not underestimate the ability of our team to find a way to F*** it up.  Short sleeve shirt at the podium, tantrum resulting in disqualification, taking the wrong bus to the wrong stadium?  They might still find a way.

who is being negative now ;-)

I think it's a pretty strong team but with some guys I don't know. I am very disappointed that Kavianinejad isn't here, clearly he isn't at world senior level so this would have been a perfect stepping stone experience for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and I still think Zare would "easily" won the gold in world juniors if it wasn't for that accident. most probably by 10pts margin

he is improved, a year ago he was just pushing but he looks different now. I tried to find his birthday, 16 January 2001. 18. almost 19. but we should remember results in age group tournaments don't usually transfer to senior level. Jaber Sadeghzadeh dominated the World Juniors, he is a nobody now. there are lots of examples. but I think Zare is in the right path. it will be interesting watching him against Hadi and Mohebbi in Takhti Cup. I think he will lose to both of them, they are just too big and too strong for him. but he has a good chance to become #1 in Iran in something like 2 years.

Good tournament overall but we should remember the Iranian team was more experienced than other teams, so 2nd place was the least expected from this team. they were better than Russia, just unlucky with Savadkouhi.

and there is nothing better than watching Russia losing two back to back finals by tech. lol

Edited by wrestfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Genius said:

That's a very dominant and impressive win by Zare over a 3-4 years older and solid Russian competitor (2x European U23 Bronze and now World U23 Silver). 

Zare is the stand-out guy of the tournament for me. In the last 15 months Zare has won: World Cadets gold, World Juniors silver and now World U23 gold.

This is a very young guy that is transitioning through the age groups very quickly and very well, whilst making noticeable improvements to his game. 

EDIT: Also I forgot to mention that Zare won every match this tournament by VSU :-) 

Wow! Zare was super impressive in that finals match! He wrestled with incredible mat awareness, responding to Goloev's movement so well! He was the constant aggressor, always moving forward, but not seeking pushouts; he wanted and secured the takedowns. In addition, his physical fitness seemed superior to Goloev's; he didn't seem tired at all.  Excellent performance. We will see this kid impressing people on the senior stage before too long!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

and I still think Zare would "easily" won the gold in world juniors if it wasn't for that accident. most probably by 10pts margin

 

I did not see that match.  What happened? Do you think he just got caught?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, irani said:

I did not see that match.  What happened? Do you think he just got caught?

it wasn't like "he just got caught" . the American had plan for that. but still not something to happen again if they face each other. I have to say that was a good lesson for Zare. it seems he learned from that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, irani said:

I did not see that match.  What happened? Do you think he just got caught?

That was world juniors final only a few months ago. Zare steamrolled his way into the final (won every match until then by VSU I think) and came up against an equally dominant American (Mason Parris). Was equal in the first minute or so (one step out each) but then Parris shot and Zare got caught in a transition and didn't bring his legs across, allowing Parris to turn on top of him. Zare couldn't escape and got pinned.

But to come back and win U23 Worlds only a few months after that is very impressive. Hope to see him rematch Parris one day...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gantry said:

Parris hits that shot/move on everyone, while it certainly isn't a fluke it's not a common move for a HWT and his gets a lot of guys on it the first time they wrestle. 

so that means if Zare was well coached, they would have scouted it, and had him prepared

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pa in taiwan said:

Wow! Zare was super impressive in that finals match! He wrestled with incredible mat awareness, responding to Goloev's movement so well! He was the constant aggressor, always moving forward, but not seeking pushouts; he wanted and secured the takedowns. In addition, his physical fitness seemed superior to Goloev's; he didn't seem tired at all.  Excellent performance. We will see this kid impressing people on the senior stage before too long!

Agreed 100%. It's even more impressive that he was pinned in the world junior finals a few months ago and came back looking much better (more well rounded - at juniors his game was very heavily based on push outs) and with no mental block at all - really shows his mentality. He is still only 18 years old competing against older, bigger guys, so he has at least 2-3 years of growth and improvement as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...