wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

3 hours ago, The Genius said:

At 63kg Delkhani had some tough matches but is in the final against a Georgian ('19 U23 European Gold, '19 European Bronze). That is a very winnable match for Delkhani.

Why do you think Delkhani can beat the U23 European gold champion?

20 minutes ago, irani said:

The guy was at worlds alongside Delkhani (same bracket) and performed worse than Delkhani. They were also both at U23 worlds last year and Delkhani also got further than him there. Admittedly they didn't compete against each other in either tournament, but Delkhani is in good form so it's definitely a winnable match, no worse than 50/50 in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, irani said:

because Greco results are so random. unlike freestyle when you have the entire 6 minutes to score, in Greco you have mostly 2-3 chances in the match ( the most important one is your parterre) it depends on who uses his chance the best. for example, Delkhani lost to an Armenian guy in  bronze medal match in the Worlds. that guy was here too but lost to Turkey here and Delkhani beat the Turkish guy in the semifinal.

for example in 130kg semifinal. the Turk scored 2+2 on gut wrench, I believe he could score more if he tried harder but he thought that's enough and he can protect his 5-0 lead but he underestimated Yousefi's physical strength . that was his only chance in the entire match to score and he didn't use it good enough.

That's why I always believe in Greco, every match is a final and you can't underestimate anybody.

Saravi lost to a Finnish guy who's 21. But he was no joke, '18 JW Champion (at 97kg, Saravi was champion at 87kg) and current '19 European U23 Champion. 

Maybe Saravi needs more time to adjust to 97kg, especially when he's against slightly older guys (I think Saravi is 19 only?) who have been at 97kg for longer. Hopefully Saravi can get through to the repechage and still get a Bronze. 

Geraei at 72kg has been amazing (defeated TUR, RUS and GEO) and is in the SF (vs UKR). 

Foumani at 67kg can get into the repechage if the (BLR) guy that beat him wins his SF, same for Mohsen Nejad at 60kg. 

The others are out. To be honest only Geraei looked good today.

At 63kg Delkhani beats the '19 European U23 Champion and '19 European Senior Bronze medalist Georgian 7-6 in the final and WINS GOLD! @irani

He was 6-2 down with 25 seconds to go in a competitive match then got a 4 point throw (+failed challenge) and hung on to win! 

Just now, The Genius said:

At 63kg Delkhani beats the '19 European U23 Champion and '19 European Senior Bronze medalist Georgian 7-6 in the final and WINS GOLD! @irani

He was 6-2 down with 25 seconds to go in a competitive match then got a 4 point throw (+failed challenge) and hung on to win! 

Nice to see Iran be the one that makes a come back from being down at the last minute.  usually it's the other way!

Will Delkhani most likely be our Olympic representative?

That is Iran's first U23 Greco Gold medal as well. In the last two years Iran has only won Bronze medals in U23 GR wrestling, no silvers or golds. 

13 minutes ago, irani said:

Nice to see Iran be the one that makes a come back from being down at the last minute.  usually it's the other way!

Will Delkhani most likely be our Olympic representative?

I don't know about 2020, there is only 60kg and 67kg. Other guys can compete: Saman Abdevali (Saeed's brother), the guy that beat Abdevali in the Takhti Cup I forgot his name, maybe Nejati as well. But for sure Delkhani will be one of the competitors, I guess for 60kg not 67kg. @wrestfan will know better. Oh I forgot little Geraei as well. 

Edited by The Genius

60kg: Mohsen Nejad is in the first round repechage and has maybe 30-40% chance of a Bronze.

67kg: Foumani is in the first round repechage with maybe only 20% chance of a Bronze. 

72kg: Geraei is in the final tomorrow vs AZE Suleymanov. The Azeri looks so dominant, but Geraei can make it close and definitely has a shot, maybe 40-50%.

82kg: Langeroudi is out.

97kg: Saravi is in the first round repechage but has two tough matches, the Bronze match vs UKR ('18 European U23 Silver + '19 European U23 Bronze). Tough to win both matches but I give him 40-50%. 

3 minutes ago, The Genius said:

60kg: Mohsen Nejad is in the first round repechage and has maybe 30-40% chance of a Bronze.

67kg: Foumani is in the first round repechage with maybe only 20% chance of a Bronze. 

72kg: Geraei is in the final tomorrow vs AZE Suleymanov. The Azeri looks so dominant, but Geraei can make it close and definitely has a shot, maybe 40-50%.

97kg: Saravi is in the first round repechage but has two tough matches, the Bronze match vs UKR ('18 European U23 Silver + '19 European U23 Bronze). Tough to win both matches but I give him 40-50%. 

so best case scenario, 2 golds, and a bunch of bronzes

worst case scenario, 1 gold, 1 silver, and bunch of 5th place finishes

If we get two golds, I am happy!

1 minute ago, irani said:

so best case scenario, 2 golds, and a bunch of bronzes

worst case scenario, 1 gold, 1 silver, and bunch of 5th place finishes

If we get two golds, I am happy!

No, we have Yousofi in the final still today (in a few minutes in fact). Then Geraei tomorrow, so best case is 3 golds and 3 bronzes. Worst case is 1 gold and 2 silvers and some less than 5th because the 3 repechage guys are only in the first round repechage, not the Bronze match yet. 

2 minutes ago, The Genius said:

No, we have Yousofi in the final still today (in a few minutes in fact). Then Geraei tomorrow, so best case is 3 golds and 3 bronzes. Worst case is 1 gold and 2 silvers and some less than 5th because the 3 repechage guys are only in the first round repechage, not the Bronze match yet. 

If we get three golds, I could care less what happens with the repackage, any bronze would be icing on the cake

3 minutes ago, irani said:

If we get three golds, I could care less what happens with the repackage, any bronze would be icing on the cake

Yousofi's opponent is the '18 U23 World Champion (he beat Yousofi 4-1 or 5-1 there) and '19 U23 European Champion. And he's 22, I think Yousofi is 20 (at 130kg that can be a big difference). So that is going to be difficult for him, I think he has had a good tournament whatever the result for him.

Well that was an anti-climax: the Georgian withdrew from the final due to injury, so Yousofi WINS GOLD and is the 2019 U23 World Champion!

Yousofi is now: 2x U23 World medalist ('18 Bronze and '19 Gold), Junior World Champion ('19) and Junior Asian Champion ('19). All of that was in the course of the last 12 months - not a bad collection for 12 months! He is still only 20 years old, so it will be exciting to see how he develops over the next 2-3 years. 

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

That is Iran's first U23 Greco Gold medal as well. In the last two years Iran has only won Bronze medals in U23 GR wrestling, no silvers or golds. 

I don't know about 2020, there is only 60kg and 67kg. Other guys can compete: Saman Abdevali (Saeed's brother), the guy that beat Abdevali in the Takhti Cup I forgot his name, maybe Nejati as well. But for sure Delkhani will be one of the competitors, I guess for 60kg not 67kg. @wrestfan will know better. Oh I forgot little Geraei as well. 

if you ask me absolutely no chance for him to make the Olympic weight. 60kg spot is for Nejati now. even if he gets injured or something. the next candidate is most probably Mehrdad Mardani.

and Delkhani doesn't look big enough for 67kg but yes Iran is weak in this weight and to be honest most probably won't qualify this weight for the Olympics. we will see if one of those 72kg guys (R. Geraei or Kaviani) can cut weight for 67 or Bana will count on someone like Javad Rezaei or Eliasi. who knows maybe Delkhani can go there and challenge them. 67kg is the weakest link in Iran GR team.

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

you should call Iranians by the first part of their surnames. nobody knows a wrestler as "Foumani" or "Langeroudi" nope. never. they are known as Imentalab and Choobchian. that's just a common thing. always drop the 2nd part.

and that's a very pessimistic prediction. Mohsennejad has to forget wrestling if he can't win the bronze. that will be too easy for him. (he got robbed today in QF, he should be in the final) Geraei will be favorite against the Azeri guy. it won't be easy though. and Saravi will be favorite too. he gave up a 4pts throw while pushing his opponent out of the mat and the Finnish guy was too big for him. (still Saravi should win if it wasn't for that mistake) the Ukrainian had 4pts lead over Savolainen and still lost it at the end. I think Saravi can handle him. but I see no realistic chance for Imentalab . so I think I say 1 gold and 2 bronze tomorrow.

1 minute ago, irani said:

@wrestfan and @The Genius

Is it fair to attribute this success (2-3 golds) to a Bana turn around?

this is not Bana's team. Bana just called up his own team for the training camp for the World Cup in Iran next month.

yeah some of these guys trained most of the year with Bana and the senior team though.

btw we always complain about our bad luck with the draw, (even though since i don't trust UWW I believe the draw was fixed for the Worlds in Astana, it wasn't just bad luck) but I have to say most of our wrestlers were luck with the draw here, both FS and GR. specially in Greco-Roman.

1 minute ago, wrestfan said:

yeah some of these guys trained most of the year with Bana and the senior team though.

Yes, this is what I am referring to.  They trained with the senior team, under Bana's supervision

Iran won every single match in the last day to finish the Greco competition with 3 golds and 3 bronze medals + team title by just 1 point over Georgia !

I was sure about Mohsennejad and Saravi, and almost sure about Geraei but Imentalab's bronze medal was surprising.

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

Iran won every single match in the last day to finish the Greco competition with 3 golds and 3 bronze medals + team title by just 1 point over Georgia !

I was sure about Mohsennejad and Saravi, and almost sure about Geraei but Imentalab's bronze medal was surprising.

Unbelievable

Do you see any potential 2020 Olympians in the bunch?

1 hour ago, irani said:

Unbelievable

Do you see any potential 2020 Olympians in the bunch?

Saravi for sure, R. Geraei if he cuts weight for 67kg. Mohsennejad also looked good (and he got robbed in QF) but still we have world bronze medalist Nejati too who is also 21. the SHW guy Yousefi also looked good but I think he is still far from that level. but there is no big favorite in this weight in Iran, so maybe him too.

I could find some videos from CISM Games in China, for both finals and preliminaries , the prliminary stream only shows Mat B, so we can't watch some interesting matches. but about the finals. these are the interesting ones

Mohebbi-Akgul final is the start of this video, you can see Akgul didn't dominate as he usually does. but I also think he learned from his match vs Hadi last year, he is not attacking when he has enough points. Mohebbi has strong legs, only if he started wrestling at younger age. he can't learn at this age obviously.

http://sports.cctv.com/2019/10/22/VIDED88e6RSIHntDMlUsxSC7191022.shtml

Mohammadian's final is also here, somwhere near the end of it, at 1:00:00

http://sports.cctv.com/2019/10/22/VIDEXFr8p3FhwCFycbDjTYC8191022.shtml

@wrestfan I have a questions for you.  This is more about old history of wrestling, so you may or may not know the answer

In 1954, Fardin (yes the actor) won the silver in world championship in 73 Kg

In 1955, as far as I can tell, there was not world freestyle championship

in 1956 Habibi won the gold in the 73 Kg

in 1957, Fardin took 4th

My question is , do you know if Fardin and Habibi were rivals at some point, and did they actual wrestler against each other?  If so, did Fardin ever beat Habibi?