wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Semifinals:

57kg: Sarlak beat Dastan 3-2. Harutyunyan beat Jafarian 10-0

65kg: Hajipour beat Ghahremani 7-1, Nassiri beat Maghsoudi 6-5

79kg: Savadkouhi beat Safari 7-0, Kavousi beat Zarinpeykar 5-3

97kg: Goleij beat Nejatian 3-1, Nazari beat Shariatinia 5-4

125kg: Hadi beat Mohebbi 4-3, Taheri beat Foroutan 3-0

Hadi-Mohebbi was close, I believe Hadi deserved a caution at the end but he was lucky. still he beat Mohebbi in Mohebbi's hometown. he was a bit out of shape but still good enough to win this.

97kg gold for Goleij is almost a sure thing. I don't even know this Nazari guy. Goleij was losing 1-1 to Nejatian but scored a late takedown. if nothing special happens, they will send Takhti Cup gold medalist to the Asian Championship and after that, they will decide about the Olympic Qualifiers between Takhti Cup winners and those guys they are sending to Italian tournament.

brackets are also out for the second day, I can see a wrestler from Russia, Ukraine and Slovakia in the list, just 1 from each !

nothing to say about 61 and 70. but 92kg will be interesting with Arashk Mohebbi, Ebrahimi, Shahbazi and Ezzat Akbari.

no Ghasempour for 86kg which means he gave up challenging Hassan Yazdani for the Olympic spot. maybe he decided to think about his injured knee, he needed surgery few months ago. Bazri is the main favorite here without those 2 guys.

74kg is important with all favorites, interesting there is Boris Makoev listed here !? (world silver medalist at 86kg) I really think they are using some of those Kazakhstani software, once again all favorites are in the bottom half. Hosseinkhani, Dadashpour, Nokhodi and Afzali.

7 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Takhti Cup semifinals are set

57kg: Alireza Sarlak vs Majid Dastan /// Erfan Jafarian vs Arsen Harutyunyan (ARM)

65kg: Kheirollah Ghahremani vs Abolfazl Hajipour /// Amir Hossein Maghsoudi  vs Meisam Nassiri

79kg: Babak Safari vs Ali Savadkouhi /// Hamid Reza Zarinpeykar vs Amir Hossein Kavousi

97kg: Javad Nazari vs Danial Shariatinia /// Mojtaba Goleij vs Esmaeil Nejatian

125kg: Yadollah Mohebbi vs Parviz Hadi /// Abbas Foroutan vs Amin Taheri

important results. Nasiri beat Biabani 3-2 and then A.M. Yazdani 14-13 ! (Yazdani had beaten Sadeghi 5-0 earlier) Maghsoudi beat Ghiasi and then Mehran Nassiri 2-0

also in an early final at 97kg, Goleij beat Shaabani 6-4.

The only relevant news out of this to me are

1. Hadi will probably be the best chance of a medal in heavyweight in the olympics
  2. AM Yazdani is the not as dominant of a wrestler as his cousins.  He will not be a factor in Tokyo, perhaps he will mature later
  3. Perhaps Nassiri will be a factor

2nd day semifinals:

61kg: Mirali Bavafa beat Hassan Ebadi 15-8 /// Nurgan Aleksandrov (RUS) beat Ali Hajaghania 7-2

70kg: Gevorg Mekhyan (ARM) beat Arman Andreasyan (ARM) 4-2 /// Amir Hossein Hosseini beat Mohammad Reza Sargoo 6-2

74kg: Mostafa Hosseinkhani beat Mohammad Nokhodi 6-0 /// Mohammad Sadegh Firouzpour beat Jamal Khodabandeloo 3-1

86kg: Jalal Zaman beat Hamidreza Alibakhshi 4-2 /// Ahmad Bazri beat Mher Markosyan (ARM) 12-2

92kg: Hossein Shahbazi beat Ezzatollah Akbari 2-1 /// Mohammad Javad Ebrahimi beat Arashk Mohebbi  5-0 (Mohebbi withdrew for injury)

with no World Championships in non-Olympic weights, the level is extremely low at 61 and 70. I don't even know this guy Bavafa-Sadat ! and it will be funny if the only Russian wrestler in the competition leaves Iran with the gold medal !

74kg was important and Hosseinkhani made it to the final, first he beat Dadashpour 8-0, then Nokhodi in the semis, Nokhodi beat Afzali earlier. I think it's clear Hosseinkhani is much better than all these guys. they will test Emami but I think Hosseinkhani is the only option in this weight.

in another news Reza Afzali and Ezzatollah Akbari kissed the mat and announced retirement after their defeats. Akbari has to wrestle for bronze tomorrow though.

Finals:

57kg: Alireza Sarlak beat Arsen Harutyunyan (ARM) 3-2 /// bronze medalists: Majid Dastan and MIhran Jaburyan (ARM)

65kg: Meisam Nassiri beat Abolfazl Hajipour 9-5 /// bronze medalists: Amir Hossein Maghsoudi and Kheirollah Ghahremani

79kg: Ali Savadkouhi beat Amir Hossein Kavousi 3-3 /// bronze medalists: Hamidreza Zarinpeykar and Babak Safari

97kg: Mojtaba Goleij beat Javad Nazari 12-0 /// bronze medalists: Danial Shariatinia and Ali Shaabani

125kg: Parviz Hadi beat Amin Taheri 6-4 /// bronze medalists : Yadollah Mohebbi and Abbas Foroutan

Nassiri once again outsmarted his opponent, at some point it looked like Hajipour is going to beat him easily !!! Sarlak beating the European Champion was impressive but to be honest Harutyunyan dominated the match, Sarlak just had a takedown in the very last second !

but the most interesting final was at 125kg. hard to believe but Amin Taheri really dominated Hadi for more than 5 minutes, they were tied 1-1 on cautions until they finally decided to penalize Hadi once more for being very passive. (they had to do that yesterday against Mohebbi too) after an unsuccessful challenge Hadi was down 3-1 with only 15 seconds to go but all of a sudden he had enough power for a double leg and throwing Taheri out of the mat for 4 pts. it seems that back injury really weakened him (or maybe Taheri just improved A LOT overnight ?!) at this point I think Zare is better than him but then still he has time to improve his physical situation.

the only important bronze medal match was at 65kg where Maghsoudi beat A M Yazdani 6-4. I think Yazdani junior is pretty much done with 2020 Olympics, not sure if they give Maghsoudi another chance but Yazdani with 2 defeats ? almost impossible

Finals:

61kg: Nurgan Aleksandrov (RUS) beat Mirali Bavafa-Sadat 11-1 /// bronze medalists: Ali Hajaghania and Hassan Ebadi

70kg: Amir Hossein Hosseini beat Gevorg Mekhyan (ARM) 7-2 /// bronze medalists: Arman Andreasyan (ARM) and Mohammad Reza Sargoo

74kg: Mostafa Hosseinkhani beat Mohammad Sadegh Firouzpour 3-0 /// bronze medalists: Khachatur Papikyan (ARM) and Mohammad Nokhodi

86kg: Ahmad Bazri beat Jalal Zaman 8-0 /// bronze medalists: Hamidreza Alibakhshi and Mher Markosyan (ARM)

92kg: Mohammad Javad Ebrahimi beat Hossein Shahbazi 2-1 /// bronze medalists: Mohammad Hossein Mirbaghian and Hossein Jalalinejad

nothing special, Hosseinkhani is still conservative, Bazri is still only pushing and Ebrahimi still wants to win matches by minimum score !

Mohammadian destroys Yergali ( junior worlds silver, lost to Forouran in the final if you remember) and then U23 world champion Bo Nickal both 10 - 0. Had a great 5 point throw off a leg attack against Yergali which hopefully video will soon come out of. He has Snyder next.

Zare pinned a big Kazakh in his first match and has a giant German next. The other side of the bracket has Makhov. 

11 minutes ago, FreestyleWrestler said:

Doping 

Of course a foreigner beats a tough American and it's gotta be doping.Not sure doping helped him outwrestle Snyder in every position.FYI Americans dope to

Edited by calot

1 minute ago, calot said:

Of course a foreigner beats a tough American and it's gotta be doping.Not sure doping helped him outwrestle Snyder in every position

I dont mean that doping is reason why he beat Snyder. This is only answer for PinFallRecruit why he disappears for 4 years. 

2 minutes ago, calot said:

Of course a foreigner beats a tough American and it's gotta be doping.Not sure doping helped him outwrestle Snyder in every position.FYI Americans dope to

LOL... Not saying the guy is doping... but if you are doping, yes it helps you outwrestle someone in every position.  

3 minutes ago, FreestyleWrestler said:

I dont mean that doping is reason why he beat Snyder. This is only answer for PinFallRecruit why he disappears for 4 years. 

Gotcha 

well people made fun of Mohammadian when he said he has plans for Snyder and Sadullaev , even though against Sadullaev you need more than just plans lol

but it was a good run, teching or pinning everybody on his way, his path was Worlds 5th place, Worlds U23 Champion, Olympic Champion and Worlds Bronze medalist ! it will be against Hushtyn in the final. but I think he already booked his place for the "Olympic Qualifier" in China.

Amir Hossein Zare also made it to the final with an easy draw. I remember he struggled against the same Kazakh guy in Worlds U23, this time he tried to be smart and don't give up cheap points. I always thought Zare struggles against big guys and now he has to wrestle the biggest guy ever, Makhov ! that will be an interesting test for him.

Wow Mohammadian techs Nickal then pins Snyder (8-0). I'm going to savour these rare senior Iranian wrestling victories over the USA. Mohammadian beat the Italian Jesus in the SF (11-0) and will wrestle Hushtyn in the final, that should be interesting. 

Zare beat the big Kazakh and German with ease and is in the final vs Makhov (RUS). Also a good match.

59 minutes ago, FreestyleWrestler said:

Doping 

I was hoping it was something different. but normally when they disappear that long it is either a country change or doping. Hope he is clean (no indications that he isn't), because he would be great to add to the field at the Olympics. 

Another question - Does anyone know what the testing is like during a suspension? Is there any? Do you have to be tested before returning? 

Before people jump on me, I'm not saying Snyder lost because the other dude is doping or anything. Mohammadian was the better guy this day. I am curious of the process of returning to competition though. 

13 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

If they do a trial after all of this and Goleij underhook bullies Mohammadian I am never watching wrestling again loool 

U may as well stop now.You know that's what's gonna happen that underhook is real

3 hours ago, The Genius said:

Wow Mohammadian techs Nickal then pins Snyder (8-0). I'm going to savour these rare senior Iranian wrestling victories over the USA. Mohammadian beat the Italian Jesus in the SF (11-0) and will wrestle Hushtyn in the final, that should be interesting. 

Zare beat the big Kazakh and German with ease and is in the final vs Makhov (RUS). Also a good match.

I believe Mohammadian beat Hashtyn just a couple of months ago.