wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

well, I think Iran's 97 Kg question is answered

We just need to figure out the heavyweight question, and we are done, the other weights don't really matter, Iran does not have a chance for medal

Have to consider Mohammadian the second best 97 in the world right now.  I don't see the guy who wrestled today losing to Sharifov and I always liked Sharifov. I will say he is a LOT bigger than Sadulaev. He couldn't lose today, amazing performance. 

4 minutes ago, irani said:

well, I think Iran's 97 Kg question is answered

We just need to figure out the heavyweight question, and we are done, the other weights don't really matter, Iran does not have a chance for medal

Well lets see what Zare can do against Makhov in a few minutes... 

2 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Have to consider Mohammadian the second best 97 in the world right now.  I don't see the guy who wrestled today losing to Sharifov and I always liked Sharifov. I will say he is a LOT bigger than Sadulaev. He couldn't lose today, amazing performance. 

That is quite a statement from the usually pessimistic Sharizi :)

Sadulaev is the reigning world champion, and I am not prepared to predict anyone beating him yet

Just now, Shiraz123 said:

I agree with you, i think Mohammadian handles Sharifov but just thinking how he fares against Sadulaev. I am not sure (?) if they both get to meet prior to Olympics. I need to check what all international tournments we have from now until Olympics. I had good feeling about Mohammadian when he tech falled Baitsaev (RUS) during military games, but had doubts about his consistency in performance. This performance today clears everything, he is a real deal!

1 minute ago, Shiraz123 said:

I would not pick Mohammadian over Sadulaev, just saying he's a lot bigger. He looked big next to Snyder also. He has to be about 6'2,6'3. S

I am sorry, I misread your first post, I thought you had written that he is the best, not the second best

Zare beats Makhov 5-3 and wins Gold!

Man that was a tough match. Makhov was very defensive and neither guy wanted to shoot for a TD. Makhov looked very big and strong. Unlike most of Zare's opponents, Makhov didn't get tired in the second period, but Zare had enough to get the push outs to get the win. 

Zare defeated Makhov 5-3 in finals, very tough match. Good tournment for Zare as well.

side note: One interesting thing i started noticing that's happening more often now - winner lifting the looser hands in a gesture to show that he is also the equal winner, Zare did this thing today to Makhov. I am sure you guys noticed the same during 2019 Worlds when Sadulaev lifted Sharifov hand at the end. One other guy i think does this more often than anyone else - magomded kurbanaliev, I have seen him doing it in a lot matches (domestic matches in russia)

Is this the first time an Iranian beating Makhov ?! I have a feeling he lost at least once but can't remember when and where. I only remember his countless wins over Masoumi, Azarshakib and Hadi.

good win for Zare, he really had to work hard for this win. he only faced big guys here and the biggest one in the final.

4 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Is this the first time an Iranian beating Makhov ?! I have a feeling he lost at least once but can't remember when and where. I only remember his countless wins over Masoumi, Azarshakib and Hadi.

good win for Zare, he really had to work hard for this win. he only faced big guys here and the biggest one in the final.

I still feel Taha would be the worst match up for Zare but Taha is a bad match for anyone and I think Zare's chances of beating Hadi are much better than we thought a few months ago...

1 minute ago, The Genius said:

I still feel Taha would be the worst match up for Zare but Taha is a bad match for anyone and I think Zare's chances of beating Hadi are much better than we thought a few months ago...

Agree. I could see Akgul 10 - 0 Zare quickly. But Akgul isn't the same monster he was in 2015. That's an interesting match. 

22 minutes ago, irani said:

That is quite a statement from the usually pessimistic Sharizi :)

Sadulaev is the reigning world champion, and I am not prepared to predict anyone beating him yet

he is not just the defending world champion, he is the best wrestler in the world and one of the best in history of this sport.

but man Mohammadian was amazing today, I knew he is good but not this good ! his speed is amazing for someone at this weight. I still think Sadulaev is the best of the best but now maybe Mohammadian can do something against him.

I really hope our coaches are smart enough to not put Mohammadian in direct trial match against Goleij. because if Goleij somehow wins it will be harder to ignore him.

6 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Taha first has to deal with his shoulder and his surgery.

yes he is a bad matchup because he can score big points on par-terre. he is very good in this. if Zare can avoid that and only give up few points early in the match, he will make Taha tired and beat him in the 2nd period .

So this is the guy who Varner beat at the 2015 World Cup??? Great match. Reza had the same kind of bump when he went into hiding from 2008-2011. Came back thrashing everyone! Guy has got to be doping sorry my fellow Iranian fans. No one jumps levels like that.

Edited by PRyan2012

5 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

he is not just the defending world champion, he is the best wrestler in the world and one of the best in history of this sport.

but man Mohammadian was amazing today, I knew he is good but not this good ! his speed is amazing for someone at this weight. I still think Sadulaev is the best of the best but now maybe Mohammadian can do something against him.

I really hope our coaches are smart enough to not put Mohammadian in direct trial match against Goleij. because if Goleij somehow wins it will be harder to ignore him.

He would destroy Sad.

3 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Taha first has to deal with his shoulder and his surgery.

yes he is a bad matchup because he can score big points on par-terre. he is very good in this. if Zare can avoid that and only give up few points early in the match, he will make Taha tired and beat him in the 2nd period .

Good point about the cardio and that will have to be Zare's gameplan, but the sheer size of Taha and Zare's vulnerability to par-terre (vs Geno) makes that a very tough match for him still. 

What do you think about Hadi vs Zare now? Hadi seems not to be at 100% and Zare is improving and gaining good experience all the time, beating lots of big guys.

10 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Good point about the cardio and that will have to be Zare's gameplan, but the sheer size of Taha and Zare's vulnerability to par-terre (vs Geno) makes that a very tough match for him still. 

What do you think about Hadi vs Zare now? Hadi seems not to be at 100% and Zare is improving and gaining good experience all the time, beating lots of big guys.

well I think right now Zare beats Hadi. (I wonder if he beat Mohebbi, he is also big and doesn't get tired) Taheri and Mohebbi almost beat Hadi. but then Hadi still has few more months to improve his physical condition. bad news for Hadi is Zare is also improving and he is improving faster.

but I feel sorry for Hadi if he misses this Olympics too. he was around for 3 Olympic cycles, he deserves to wrestle in at least one of them. he worked hard to finally put himself in a situation to compete for World/Olympic medals but then a youngster comes from nowhere to steal everything from him ! life is cruel.

Edited by wrestfan

Just now, wrestfan said:

well I think right now Zare beats Hadi. (I wonder if he beat Mohebbi, he is also big and doesn't get tired) Taheri and Mohebbi almost beat Hadi. but then Hadi still has few more months to improve his physical condition. bad news for Hadi is Zare is also improving and he is improving faster.

but I feel sorry for Hadi if he misses this Olympics too. he was around for 3 Olympic cycles, he deserves to wrestle to at least one of them. he worked hard to finally put himself in a situation to compete for World/Olympic medals but then a youngster comes from nowhere to steal everything from him ! life is cruel.

I agree, but I hope Hadi can get back to peak levels so we can see the best of both of them. Mohebbi is kind of similar to what Zare was a while ago (especially the Mohhebi-Deng match) but Zare seems to be much more well rounded and skilled already. It doesn't work like that but if he can beat Makhov and these guys then I don't see why he shouldn't beat Mohhebi.

Unfortunately Hadi's peak came very late in his career and now it seems injuries are slowing him down and a 18/19 year old Zare is doing much better than anyone expected. Shame Hadi could end his career with only one (bronze) World medal considering how good he is when he is fit.  

2 minutes ago, PRyan2012 said:

This guy played with Snyder. He is on another level. I would say a couple takedowns over Sad.

forget destroyed, when was the last time anyone even scored a TD on Sadulaev? The guy is one of the greatest of all time already, hard to see anyone 'destroying' him any time soon. Mohammadian lost to Sharifov a few months ago, he's not invincible.