wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

2 minutes ago, The Genius said:

forget destroyed, when was the last time anyone even scored a TD on Sadulaev? The guy is one of the greatest of all time already, hard to see anyone 'destroying' him any time soon. Mohammadian lost to Sharifov a few months ago, he's not invincible.  

I know but what the heck happened? He looks huge? I have never seen him beat elite wrestlers like this before. This a flash in the pan?

9 minutes ago, PRyan2012 said:

I know but what the heck happened? He looks huge? I have never seen him beat elite wrestlers like this before. This a flash in the pan?

He destroyed Baitsaev and dominated other top guys, but lost a close and controversial match to Sharifov. I think that's the only match he's lost since his return but I might be wrong...

1 minute ago, The Genius said:

He destroyed Baitsaev and dominated other top guys, but lost a close and controversial match to Sharifov. I think that's the only match he's lost since his return but I might be wrong...

he also lost to Esmaeil Nejatian in Iran national Championship final right after the end of his suspension, if I'm not wrong it was a last second pushout. the score was something like 4-4.

we should not forget he is coming back after 4 years of suspension, so he is getting better with more competitions. the last time he wrestled Hushtyn (in CISM final) it was just 1 pt victory, but he destroyed Hushtyn today.

I see people here are surprised by Mohammadian's performance, well we are surprised too but maybe a bit less. we knew he is talented.

I think it's not bad to quote my own post from June 2019.

On 6/10/2019 at 9:13 PM, wrestfan said:

interesting interview with Mohammad Hossein Mohammadian (and his father Olympic silver medalist Askari Mohammadian)

https://ts2.tarafdari.com/contents/user359161/video/avc_untitled_project.mp4

he still claims he is innocent and I somehow believe him. but that was very stupid from the federation's doctor telling him to lie and make things worse.

after 4 years of suspension he will be available from October 2019 and he claims he is up for the challenge at 97kg for the Olympics and he already has plans for Snyder and Sadullaev ! first let's see if he can make his own province (Mazandaran) team !

20 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

I see people here are surprised by Mohammadian's performance, well we are surprised too but maybe a bit less. we knew he is talented.

Great call!

Since we are discussing Mohammadian, I will share a couple of facts about his father that some of you may not know

His father is Askari Mohammadian, two time Olympics Silver Medalist.

He was unfortunate enough to run into Sergei Beloglazov in the 1988 finals, and into John Smith in the 1992 finals!

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

You were questioning if he would even make the Mazandaran team :)

18 minutes ago, irani said:

You were questioning if he would even make the Mazandaran team :)

considering almost all of his rivals in Iran (actually all of them except Karimi) are from Mazandaran, that was a valid question lol

to be honest I had him in mind since the start of 2019 and I knew he claims he trained everyday in past 4 years thinking about this day. but still he was much better than expectations. but let's not get too much excited, he achieved nothing yet. he still has to qualify the weight first.

13 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

considering almost all of his rivals in Iran (actually all of them except Karimi) are from Mazandaran, that was a valid question lol

to be honest I had him in mind since the start of 2019 and I knew he claims he trained everyday in past 4 years thinking about this day. but still he was much better than expectations. but let's not get too much excited, he achieved nothing yet. he still has to qualify the weight first.

this was an olympic qualifying event but he hasn't qualified the weight yet? 

Edited by The Genius

1 minute ago, The Genius said:

this was an olympic qualifying event but he hasn't qualified the weight yet? 

no that wasn't an Olympic Qualifying event, that was a ranking series event, which will be used for "seeding" at the Olympics.

let me explain the qualification format, there are 3 qualification tournaments

1) 2019 World Championship, top 6 qualify

2) 2020 Asian Qualification tournament, top 2 qualify

3) 2020 World Qualification tournament, top 2 qualify

in the first tournament, Iran only managed to qualify 2 weights in freestyle and 3 in Greco-Roman, in other weights they have to try their chances in Asian QT in China or World QT in Bulgaria.

27 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

no that wasn't an Olympic Qualifying event, that was a ranking series event, which will be used for "seeding" at the Olympics.

in the first tournament, Iran only managed to qualify 2 weights in freestyle and 3 in Greco-Roman, in other weights they have to try their chances in Asian QT in China or World QT in Bulgaria.

Thanks for educating us

Can you elaborate what the ranking tournament is good for  if don't qualify?  I assume it helps the ranking of those who qualify, but useless for those who don't?

1 minute ago, irani said:

Thanks for educating us

Can you elaborate what the ranking tournament is good for  if don't qualify?  I assume it helps the ranking of those who qualify, but useless for those who don't?

well it's almost useless unless you qualify and you are in top 4. because only top 4 are seeded and even being seeded isn't necessarily a good thing . it's only a good thing if the other top wrestlers are seeded too. for example Hassan Yazdani doesn't care if he faces Deepak Punia (another top 4 in WR) or not.

the current UWW draw procedure only separates top 4 till the semifinal. and there is no difference between being rank #5 or #50 ! both are still unseeded. and guys like Mohammadian and Zare didn't participate at the 2019 Worlds and as far as I know they won't participate at the 2020 Asian Championship (different than Asian Qualification Olympic tournament) and no way you can be in top  4 after missing two major events for that ranking.

They only consider 4 events for the ranking, 2019 Worlds, 2020 continental Champs, this tournament in Italy and another one in Poland. for being in top 4 I think you have to participate in 2 or 3 of them at least. because of that I don't think any of Iranian wrestlers will be seeded in Tokyo, even Yazdani ! and it doesn't really matter, what's the point of being seeded when Russian wrestlers (for example) are unseeded and can meet you anywhere in the draw.

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

Ah okay. Thanks. So Mohammadian has no chance to avoid Sadulaev (or rather, to guarantee he will avoid his bracket)? 

Edited by The Genius

42 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Ah okay. Thanks. So Mohammadian has no chance to avoid Sadulaev (or rather, to guarantee he will avoid his bracket)? 

yes unless he wins the Asian Championship and the last Ranking series event in Poland to collect enough points to be seed 2 or 3 which is not going to happen because most probably Iran will send someone else to the Asian Champs (most probably Goleij as Takhti Cup winner) and save Mohammadian for the Asian Olympic Qualifier which is much more important. because after all you have to qualify first.

20 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

yes unless he wins the Asian Championship and the last Ranking series event in Poland to collect enough points to be seed 2 or 3 which is not going to happen because most probably Iran will send someone else to the Asian Champs (most probably Goleij as Takhti Cup winner) and save Mohammadian for the Asian Olympic Qualifier which is much more important. because after all you have to qualify first.

BTW according to UWW it was Zare's birthday today (/yesterday) - beating a 5x world medalist (and 3x world champion) to add another medal to his fast-growing collection is not a bad 19th birthday present for him (and us)!

Edited by The Genius

It was a quick day for Iran, Emami lost intentionally to avoid Israel and Ehsanpour lost to Shuptar. it seems Ehsanpour has no chance in this weight, hard to believe but I think they will send Nasiri to the AQT.

and now it will be hard to pick between Emami and Hosseinkhani. Emami teched James Green in his first match but still  he was far from convincing.

And it would be crazy if a wrestler at the calibre of Nasiri made TWO Olympic teams. You'd have to think he'd struggle with the 2 day weigh in even before considering he is far from a top wrestler and this is a very hard weight. I'm guessing they had a weight allowance at Takhti. Let's see if we can even qualify the weight.

7 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

And it would be crazy if a wrestler at the calibre of Nasiri made TWO Olympic teams. You'd have to think he'd struggle with the 2 day weigh in even before considering he is far from a top wrestler and this is a very hard weight. I'm guessing they had a weight allowance at Takhti. Let's see if we can even qualify the weight.

yes 2kg allowance

but in an interview after the Takhti Cup Nasiri claimed he is lighter than all other 65kgers ! he claims he is normally 69-70kg and cutting down to 65kg is too easy for him ! I don't know if we can believe him but that's what he says.

while winning the quota at 97kg and 125kg looks easy for Iran, as you said we should remember Iran has to qualify the weight first at 65kg and 74kg before even thinking about sending who !

22 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

yes 2kg allowance

but in an interview after the Takhti Cup Nasiri claimed he is lighter than all other 65kgers ! he claims he is normally 69-70kg and cutting down to 65kg is too easy for him ! I don't know if we can believe him but that's what he says.

while winning the quota at 97kg and 125kg looks easy for Iran, as you said we should remember Iran has to qualify the weight first at 65kg and 74kg before even thinking about sending who !

Who is left in Asia to qualify at 65? Japan, India, Kazakhstan and Mongolia are qualified. Bekbulatov is wrestling for Uzbekistan now and won gold at 70kg in the Yasar Dogu tournament for them recently. If he's at 65 then there's like a 90 - 95% chance he beats whoever we send to the qualifier. Then there's the Russian guy wrestling for Bahrain, although he's beatable but I could also see him beating who we send. Is there anyone else?

46 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Who is left in Asia to qualify at 65? Japan, India, Kazakhstan and Mongolia are qualified. Bekbulatov is wrestling for Uzbekistan now and won gold at 70kg in the Yasar Dogu tournament for them recently. If he's at 65 then there's like a 90 - 95% chance he beats whoever we send to the qualifier. Then there's the Russian guy wrestling for Bahrain, although he's beatable but I could also see him beating who we send. Is there anyone else?

we lost to China in this weight before, they have 1 or 2 good wrestlers in this weight. North Korea sometimes send good wrestlers you never heard before. Kyrgyzstan sometimes hires Russian wrestlers, but in general Bekbulatov is the main concern. I wonder where Adam Batirov goes for the Olympics though. I assume 74kg because Bahrain already has another Russian guy at this weight.

even though I'm not sure if Bekbulatov is eligible to wrestle for UZB in Olympic qualification events, he wrestled for Russia in April 2018, as far as I know per UWW rules he has to wait 2 years to represent another country. and IOC has more strict rules, for Olympics (and Olympics Qualification events) that's 3 years. but there are always some ways to bend the rules, so I assume Uzbeks will find a way.

----------------------------------------------------------------

here is the rules, see Article 5, from what I see, there is no way for Bekbulatov to wrestle, I can't see any IFs here, he is not eligible.

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/sites/default/files/2019-03/change_nationality_march_2019_eng.pdf

Article 5 Conditions for applying the Olympic Charter to the Games qualifying eventsA wrestler who has changed his/her nationality shall fulfill the following conditions to be eligible to participate in any qualifying event for Games applying the Olympic Charter:

1.To hold the official passport if the new country at least 30 days before  the beginning of the qualifying event;

2.At the time of the Games, three (3) years shall have passed since the last participation of the wrestler with the former sporting nationality in the following competitions: continental championship,world championship, Olympic Games qualifying events, Olympic Games,world, regional and continental Games.

hose wrestlers who do not satisfy these two conditions will not be eligible to the Games qualifying event.

Edited by wrestfan