wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

13 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Jesus, I mean, Mohammed, Iranian fans are brutal. Nothing??

yes , winning Matteo Pelicone tournament is almost equal to nothing. this is just a preparation tournament for the main goal which is for now qualifying the weight for the Olympics.

2 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Pinning Kyle Snyder even in practice is not nothing. Also, the tournament does matter since it’s a ranking tournament. Is it a World medal? No. But it was absolutely worth winning. You don’t want to be on the same side as Sadulaev at the Olympics. 

that's just a morale boost but when he retires that medal and that win means nothing in his career. a guy named "Abbas Tahan" beat Kyle Snyder once , I'm sure nobody even remembers him now.

and no as I explained before, the way this ranking system works, he most probably will not make it to top 4 and there is no difference between #5 or #16. if he makes it to the Olympics, he has to count on his luck to avoid Sadulaev's side of bracket.

ps: winning one ranking series event won't make you top 4, 2019 Worlds (which he missed) is the most important event for the seeding, and beside that Iran probably won't send him to the 2020 Asian Championship which is another ranking event. the only way for someone like Mohammadian to make top 4 is to win the Asian Champs and the last ranking event in Poland.

I finally watched the video of Snyder vs Mohammadian

This is my assessment:

Snyder started aggressively and went for a takedown immediately.  Mohammadian defended well and they went to the ground.  They grappled, and it was 50/50, and then Snyder got caught.

If they wrestle 10 times, Snyder will not get pinned again.

Mohammadian did impress me with his speed and ability to defend against someone of Snyder's caliber.  he is very quick for a 97 Kg wrestler.  I agree that winning this tournament is not very meaningful, but his performance was very impressive against premier wrestlers (most of them with the exception of the number 1 guy)

I fully expect Mohammadian to qualify for the olympics, and depending on his draw, I think a silver or bronze should be expected of him.

1 hour ago, irani said:

I finally watched the video of Snyder vs Mohammadian

This is my assessment:

Snyder started aggressively and went for a takedown immediately.  Mohammadian defended well and they went to the ground.  They grappled, and it was 50/50, and then Snyder got caught.

If they wrestle 10 times, Snyder will not get pinned again.

Mohammadian did impress me with his speed and ability to defend against someone of Snyder's caliber.  he is very quick for a 97 Kg wrestler.  I agree that winning this tournament is not very meaningful, but his performance was very impressive against premier wrestlers (most of them with the exception of the number 1 guy)

I fully expect Mohammadian to qualify for the olympics, and depending on his draw, I think a silver or bronze should be expected of him.

to get silver or bronze I take it he loses to Sadullaev but beats others say Sharipov or Snyder again... possible but not take it to the bank certain...

They invited 33 wrestlers to the national camp, I assume only wrestlers in this list are still "alive" for the Olympics , and also the Asian Championships

57, Reza Atri, Alireza Sarlak, Mohammad Khodabakhshi

61, Majid Dastan, Hassan Ebadi, Mirali Bavafa-Sadat

65, Behnam Ehsanpour, Meisam Nassiri, Amir Hossein Maghsoudi, Kheirollah Ghahremani

70, Amir Hossein Hosseini, Mohammad Reza Sargoo

74, Younes Emami, Mostafa Hosseinkhani, Mohammad Sadegh Firouzpour

79, Ali Savadkouhi, Amir Hossein Kavousi, Mohammad Nokhodi

86, Hassan Yazdani, Kamran Ghasempour, Ahmad Bazri, Hamid Reza Alibakhshi

92, Mohammad Javad Ebrahimi, Hossein Shahbazi, Mohammad Hossein Mirbaghian

97, Alireza Karimi, Mohammad Hossein Mohammadian, Mojtaba Goleij, Ali Shaabani

125, Parviz Hadi, Amir Hossein Zare, Amin Taheri, Yadollah Mohebbi

----------------------------------------------------

so no Olympics for Amir Mohammad Yazdani and other guys at 74kg and it seems they decided to send Nokhodi to 79kg. Kamran Ghasempour is still there despite missing the Takhti Cup, because apparently they want to save him in case something happens to Yazdani.

Edited by wrestfan

8 hours ago, window12 said:

to get silver or bronze I take it he loses to Sadullaev but beats others say Sharipov or Snyder again... possible but not take it to the bank certain...

We agree.  At this point, I would say Mohammadian would be a slight favorite against Sharipov and Snyder, but anything can happen.

Mohammadian does seem to be improving at a very high rate.  Just a few months ago, he barely beat Hushtyn in a close match.  He just destroyed Hushtyn 9-0.

3 hours ago, wrestfan said:

They invited 33 wrestlers to the national camp, I assume only wrestlers in this list are still "alive" for the Olympics , and also the Asian Championships

57, Reza Atri, Alireza Sarlak, Mohammad Khodabakhshi

61, Majid Dastan, Hassan Ebadi, Mirali Bavafa-Sadat

65, Behnam Ehsanpour, Meisam Nassiri, Amir Hossein Maghsoudi, Kheirollah Ghahremani

70, Amir Hossein Hosseini, Mohammad Reza Sargoo

74, Younes Emami, Mostafa Hosseinkhani, Mohammad Sadegh Firouzpour

79, Ali Savadkouhi, Amir Hossein Kavousi, Mohammad Nokhodi

86, Hassan Yazdani, Kamran Ghasempour, Ahmad Bazri, Hamid Reza Alibakhshi

92, Mohammad Javad Ebrahimi, Hossein Shahbazi, Mohammad Hossein Mirbaghian

97, Alireza Karimi, Mohammad Hossein Mohammadian, Mojtaba Goleij, Ali Shaabani

125, Parviz Hadi, Amir Hossein Zare, Amin Taheri, Yadollah Mohebbi

----------------------------------------------------

so no Olympics for Amir Mohammad Yazdani and other guys at 74kg and it seems they decided to send Nokhodi to 79kg. Kamran Ghasempour is still there despite missing the Takhti Cup, because apparently they want to save him in case something happens to Yazdani.

Has Reza Yazdani officially acknowledged his retirement?

2 hours ago, irani said:

Has Reza Yazdani officially acknowledged his retirement?

No but that's not surprising because he never speaks to media, nobody knew if he was going to participate at Takhti Cup or not until the competition day.

he is out of the Olympics, I see no reason for him to continue his career.

Edited by wrestfan

2 hours ago, irani said:

Mohammadian does seem to be improving at a very high rate.  Just a few months ago, he barely beat Hushtyn in a close match.  He just destroyed Hushtyn 9-0.

Well it will be an interesting space to watch then. I guess we also need to qualify the weight too

I know Greco is not popular here, but today we had Takhti Cup in Greco-Roman which was the main trial event for the Olympic qualifiers and maybe the Olympic itself. we know the finalists for tomorrow , I make a summary only about Olympic weights. like freestyle those who won the quota (or medal) are exempt here. there were few non-Iranian wrestlers in the list but none of them made it to the final.

finals:

55: Pouya Dadmarz vs Pouya Nasserpour

60: Mehdi Mohsennejad vs Iman Mohammadi

63: Meisam Dalkhani vs Reza Abbasi

67: Mohammad Eliasi vs Hossein Asadi

72: Amin Kavianinejad vs Ashkan Saadatifar

77: Hamidreza Jafari vs Pejman Poshtam

82: Jamal Esmaeili vs Mehdi Ebrahimi

87: Behrouz Hedayat vs Ramin Taheri

97: Mehdi Bali vs Mohammad Hadi Saravi

130: Parsa Nazari vs Ali Akbar Yousefi

most of important matches happened before the final, at 60kg Alireza Nejati (World bronze medalist) was exempt, his biggest rival Mardani lost to Iman Mohammadi, I think Nejati has a safe place in Tokyo.

67kg remains a big question, none of these guys in the final are convincing to win the quota, Eliasi finished 5th in Worlds once but had terrible results since then, I won't be surprised if one of 72kg guys cut weight for that, speaking of 72kg we had a big match between Mohammad Reza Geraei and Amin Kavianinejad, to me Kaviani finished the match early 9-0 but they made it 7-0 and gave Geraei a chance to come back and he almost managed to pin Amin, actually I think that was a pin but the refs didn't call it, the match ended up 7-5 for Kaviani with lots of fights and protests after that.

not much to talk about 77kg, Ali Geraei and Saeid Abdevali didn't wrestle here

at 87kg we saw the direct trial match between Ramin Taheri and Hossein Nouri which Taheri won 6-0. if Taheri wins the final they will send him to the Olympic qualifiers and most probably the Olympic itself.

the same goes to 97kg where the real final happened in the first round, Saravi beat Mehdi Aliyari 5-3.

at the superheavyweight, Iran won the quota by Amir Ghasemi-Monjazi and he was exempt here, World U23 Champion Yousefi beat two other favorites (and former national team members) Ghourehjili and Mehdizadeh , I think he will win the final but still we will see if they pick him over Ghasemi or not

and just for info, Iran already has Olympic quotas for 60kg, 77kg and 130kg. in other 3 weights they have to send someone to Olympic qualifiers, things look good for 87kg and 97kg but it will be really hard at 67kg.

41 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

at the superheavyweight, Iran won the quota by Amir Ghasemi-Monjazi and he was exempt here, World U23 Champion Yousefi beat two other favorites (and former national team members) Ghourehjili and Mehdizadeh , I think he will win the final but still we will see if they pick him over Ghasemi or not

Is Mehdizadeh related to the former FS world champion Mehdizadeh?

@wrestfan excellent post, thank you.

Will Nasserpour try to move to 60kg? Do you have a link to the Kaviani/Geraei match? Good to see Kaviani back and doing well after worlds. Hopefully one of them drops to 67kg, that's their only way to get to Tokyo. Taheri and Saravi continuing to perform is great news, very young group of wreslters that should almost all be there for 2024 too!

15 minutes ago, The Genius said:

@wrestfan excellent post, thank you.

Will Nasserpour try to move to 60kg? Do you have a link to the Kaviani/Geraei match? Good to see Kaviani back and doing well after worlds. Hopefully one of them drops to 67kg, that's their only way to get to Tokyo. Taheri and Saravi continuing to perform is great news, very young group of wreslters that should almost all be there for 2024 too!

I don't know about Nasserpour, he didn't win a world medal at 55kg and even if he moves he will up against a world bronze medalist in Alireza Nejati, I don't think Bana gives him a chance.

actually Taheri lost the final to an unknown guy. even though this "unknown guy" Hedayat was impressive in the final and Taheri could do nothing against him. this guy lacks international experiences, so we will see what's Bana's decision. but Saravi won the competition to secure his place. and yes if you take a look at the list, there is a good chance for Iran to have a great team for 2024 Olympics.

nope about Kavinani/Geraei video . not yet

18 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

I don't know about Nasserpour, he didn't win a world medal at 55kg and even if he moves he will up against a world bronze medalist in Alireza Nejati, I don't think Bana gives him a chance.

actually Taheri lost the final to an unknown guy. even though this "unknown guy" Hedayat was impressive in the final and Taheri could do nothing against him. this guy lacks international experiences, so we will see what's Bana's decision. but Saravi won the competition to secure his place. and yes if you take a look at the list, there is a good chance for Iran to have a great team for 2024 Olympics.

nope about Kavinani/Geraei video . not yet

I remember from JW '18 I liked Saravi the most. But I think he needs another year or two to improve more and compete for a medal. Yousofi is promising also but seems 130kg GR is still very weak for now. Taheri losing is annoying, who can they send at 87kg now - the unknown guy that beat him? 

Seems Kaviani needs more time too. These GR weight classes will be intensely competitive, seems Abdevali/Geraei are the only guys with a decent shot at a medal in Tokyo.  

2 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

@wrestfan  who was that black guy who won the Pahlevani wrestling a few days ago? I just saw the video and can not stop laughing. What is the story here? 

Or the Zorkhaneh wrestling, maybe not Pahlevani. I have no idea but this is hilarious.

20 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

@wrestfan  who was that black guy who won the Pahlevani wrestling a few days ago? I just saw the video and can not stop laughing. What is the story here? 

yeah I saw that video. someone from Uganda maybe. lol

that was a stupid format. as you probably know Pahlavani wresting is a part of "Zurkhaneh sports" which also includes some other disciplines, this time only athletes from other disciplines were allowed to wrestle and the outcome was disastrous. none of them were real wrestlers, specially that guy.