wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

11 minutes ago, irani said:

It's a good thing Iran has already qualified for 125, otherwise this would have been a bigger disaster

This tournament had nothing to do with qualification.

Actually Zare has two wins ( tech and pin) over the guy who just pinned Hadi.

2 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

This tournament had nothing to do with qualification.

Actually Zare has two wins ( tech and pin) over the guy who just pinned Hadi.

I am as confused as ever about the olympic qualification rules.

8 minutes ago, irani said:

I am as confused as ever about the olympic qualification rules.

This was the Asian championships. The only thing you receive is a medal if you come top 3. The Asian championships take place every year. The Asian Olympic qualifier is a separate tournament that takes place during Olympic years. If you come first or second  you receive an Olympic spot for your country in that weight class.

Edited by Shiraz123

On 2/22/2020 at 4:17 PM, wrestfan said:

let's see what Hosseinkhani can do tomorrow. I think Bazri, Ebrahimi and Hadi will win the gold relatively easily.

Only Ebrahimi won gold! not very useful in a non olympic weight class. At least now we know Zare should be the guy for 125kg, and Bazri wasn't important anyway. 

after the Asian Champs they invited a new list to the national camp. most of them old names but it's important to say they added Meisam Nasiri and Amir Mohammad Yazdani to the list alongside Ehsanpour and Maghsoudi.

at 74kg, it's still only Emami and Hosseinkhani

we still have all 4 wrestlers in the list again for both 97kg and 125kg.

in case you are interested in Greco, some wrestlers officially changed their weight class for the Olympics. Dalkhani went to 60kg, Reza Geraei to 67kg and Saeid Abdevali to 77kg.

On 2/25/2020 at 6:06 PM, wrestfan said:

after the Asian Champs they invited a new list to the national camp. most of them old names but it's important to say they added Meisam Nasiri and Amir Mohammad Yazdani to the list alongside Ehsanpour and Maghsoudi.

Right decision! Problematic weight for Iran. I like Ehsanpour but i think he is a little bit small, size is not enough for 65. Nasiri is tough, strong wrestler, can give hard time to any top guy in 65 (maybe he is right pick for qulification tournament). Yazdani is my favourite for future, big, tall guy, long arms, entertaining wrestling style, non stop leg attacks. Maghsoudi is the weakest among all this guys. He reminds me splay-footed, clumsy bear. Maybe he will progress but for now I dont see how. He doesnt really have any attacks. He is hard to score and most of the time he gets his points from conter-attacks. Obviously with high level wrestlers it doesnt work.

Edited by Grimo

they will re-open the national camp from Saturday, but for obvious reasons they dropped some other wrestlers from the list. they want the camp "less crowded"

Freestyle

57 Atri, Amouzad, 61 Dastan, 65 Maghsoudi, Ehsanpour, 70 Hosseini, 74 Emami, 79 Kavousi, Nokhodi, 86 Yazdani, Ghasempour, 97 Mohammadian, Karimi, Goleij, 25 Hadi, Zare, Mohebbi

they dropped some names like Hosseinkhani, Shaabani and Taheri. and I can't understand what's the point of having wrestlers in non-Olympic weights ?! looks like they already picked Emami for the AQT.

Greco

60 Nejati, Mohsennejad, Dalkhani, 67 Reza Geraei, Asadi, Kavianinejad, 77 Abdevali, Ali Geraei, Poshtam, 87 Taheri, Nouri, Fallah, 97 Saravi, Bali, 130 Ghasemi-Monjazi, Mirzazadeh, Yousefi

it seems we will see Reza Geraei, Taheri and Saravi at the Olympic Qualifiers (of course only if Iran is allowed to participate) Iran already has the quota in other 3 weights.

--------------------------------

just read an interview with one of the coaches, who claims Hosseinkhani "not being in the list" is not technical, he is becoming a father recently and wanted to be with his family. also it seems some wrestlers are not here just because they didn't want to being worried about their health !

Edited by wrestfan

I wonder how big Amouzad is now considering he was wrestling at 48kg a few months ago. They must be impressed with him to invite him here as I do not believe he has wrestled at the senior level and nobody else from that team is here, is he a threat to Atri's spot? Actually I thought Firouzpour at 80kg was the most impressive out of last year's cadet team. 

Edited by Shiraz123

2 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

I wonder how big Amouzad is now considering he was wrestling at 48kg a few months ago. They must be impressed with him to invite him here as I do not believe he has wrestled at the senior level and nobody else from that team is here, is he a threat to Atri's spot? Actually I thought Firouzpour at 80kg was the most impressive out of last year's cadet team. 

I was looking at the list, it seems if we consider Olympic weights, they invite 3 in each weight. you can count Dastan as 57, Hosseini as 65 and Kavousi/Nokhodi as 74. of course they are not going to wrestle anywhere. they are just there as training partner. I think that's probably the case for Amouzad. or maybe he impressed them somewhere !?

but I assume some other wrestlers like Sarlak probably refused to go to the camp. they had to call someone .

I don't know if you guys are aware of the situation in Iran, the current situation is almost everybody prefers to stay at home, I assume it's not easy to convince other wrestlers to come to the camp and just train with the main members. almost all sport clubs are closed. and the national camp is in some kind of quarantine.

Edited by wrestfan

Training that was listed above by wrestfan seems to have been cancelled again due to Corona. I had some hope for the top 3 weights in FS but from what I am seeing with the constant cancellations this could be a very weak performance from Iran due to the significant disruption to training. 

I don't believe these cancellations are happening to any other significant wrestling countries and our lower weights were already weak, I think this basically kills them off if it continues. 

Edited by Shiraz123

as we know the national camp is still closed and all wrestlers are back to their towns and most of them without training because there is no club to train. for example I read Mohammadian is training at home on blankets !!! with his dad and his younger brother ! the wrestling federation tried twice to re-start the camp but the health ministry didn't let them. they are still trying to find a solution. probably find a "safe" city to send them all. maybe Kish Island.

but there are some rumors that Hassan Yazdani's father is hospitalized for Coronavirus (even though not in critical situation) and since he is at home with his family, some wrestling fans are worried about him even though he is fine for now but we know one of the provinces deeply in trouble is Mazandaran where most of Iranian wrestlers come from. actually I think all of Iranian notable freestyle wrestlers (except Hadi) live in Mazandaran, Tehran or Alborz and all 3 provinces have been hit badly by Coronavirus; hopefully they are all fine, I know Amir Hossein Zare was sick for few days even though his test comes negative.

5 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

I read they had an offer to go and train in Armenia from the Armenian federation.

I read that too but I guess it was just a suggestion from an Iranian member of Armenian wrestling federation . even though I think right now IAWF has no clear plan about it. they will probably make plans when UWW tell them about the exact date of Asian qualifiers.

Hassan Yazdani's father being infected by coronavirus is now confirmed, both his dad and his personal trainer are infected but apparently he is fine himself. from the pics I saw it seems he is training with 97kg Ali Shaabani in a club or something like that.

this is an interesting clip showing how Iranian wrestlers are training these days. you can see Ghasemi-Monjazi (Greco), Goleij and of course Mohammadian here, kind of interesting how Mohammadian is training with his dad and his younger brother.

5 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

I read that too but I guess it was just a suggestion from an Iranian member of Armenian wrestling federation . even though I think right now IAWF has no clear plan about it. they will probably make plans when UWW tell them about the exact date of Asian qualifiers.

Hassan Yazdani's father being infected by coronavirus is now confirmed, both his dad and his personal trainer are infected but apparently he is fine himself. from the pics I saw it seems he is training with 97kg Ali Shaabani in a club or something like that.

this is an interesting clip showing how Iranian wrestlers are training these days. you can see Ghasemi-Monjazi (Greco), Goleij and of course Mohammadian here, kind of interesting how Mohammadian is training with his dad and his younger brother.

Hemmat Moslemi has Corona virus?

Just now, Shiraz123 said:

Hemmat Moslemi has Corona virus?

I think no. the reports didn't mention a name but "Morabbi Badansaz" his fitness trainer. I assume that's not Moslemi. but it seems both coach and his dad are recovering.