wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

3 hours ago, wrestfan said:

I think no. the reports didn't mention a name but "Morabbi Badansaz" his fitness trainer. I assume that's not Moslemi. but it seems both coach and his dad are recovering.

Any idea who told his dad is?

Just now, irani said:

sorry, that was a typo

Do you know how old his dad is?

lol that was quite a typo

I don't know he looks 50-60 , apparently his life isn't in danger and he will be back home in few days.

11 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Who  knew Hassan could speak english lol

my subtitle: I urge everyone to please stay at home and stay safe. You are not alone in this situation. The world will all get through this together.

Edited by window12
incomplete initially

It would be wonderful and very appreciated if one of you Iranian fans could reply to Hassan in Farsi and tell him thank you for his message. Please also tell him many of us Americans are big fans of him and we respect the Iranian wrestlers and their great fans. (I will never forget how well they treated Jordan Burroughs over in Iran.)

Hopefully we all get through this corona crisis as soon as possible and I can't wait to see everyone back on the mat, Americans, Iranians and the rest of the world.

Thanks again for your post Hassan!

1 hour ago, 2td3nf said:

It would be wonderful and very appreciated if one of you Iranian fans could reply to Hassan in Farsi and tell him thank you for his message. Please also tell him many of us Americans are big fans of him and we respect the Iranian wrestlers and their great fans. (I will never forget how well they treated Jordan Burroughs over in Iran.)

Hopefully we all get through this corona crisis as soon as possible and I can't wait to see everyone back on the mat, Americans, Iranians and the rest of the world.

Thanks again for your post Hassan!

People like you are what make international competitions great.

I had lots of free time and I was checking historical results, there are some "interesting" statistics, I think you can't find most of them anywhere, it's about Iran Olympics and Worlds team members.

Most appearances: Gholamreza Takhti (11), Abdollah Movahed (10), Amir Reza Khadem (10), Alireza Heidari (9), and there are tons of wrestlers with 8 or 7

Making the team in a row: Abdollah Movahed (10), Gholamreza Takhti (9), Amir Reza Khadem (9), Hassan Rahimi (8), Alireza Heidari (8)

Winning gold medals in a row: Abdollah Movahed (6), Rasoul Khadem (3), Ebrahim Javadi (3)

Longest period of being World team member: Reza Soukhtehsaraei (18 years), Alireza Soleimani (17 years), Mohammad Hassan Mohebbi (15 years)

interesting thing for all these 3 guys, their career were ruined for political reasons, Iran boycotted 2 Olympics and 4 Worlds all of them during their career. Mohebbi made the team 7 out of 9 (actually 8 , he made the team at 1989 but got injured) and won his only medal in his last try ! of course we know he won a silver medal at 1985 but lost it because he walked off the podium ! Soukhteh and Soleimani were in the same weight for most of their careers, so they had to beat each other to make the team, Soleimani is the only Iranian wrestler to win the gold at super heavyweight (If we don't count Komeil Ghasemi's 2012 gold medal after reallocation) where he beat Bruce Baumgartner in that historical final while he had to borrow his shoes from Baumgartner himself !!

wrestlers who won medal every time they make the team, (only those with 3 or more): Hassan Yazdani (5), Ebrahim Javadi (5), Sadegh Goudarzi (4), Aboutaleb Talebi (4)

have to say Javadi could win his 6th medal at 1974 but Iran decided to send B team to the Worlds and save the main team for the Asian Games. Javadi retired after winning that gold medal

----------------------------------------------------------

but the most interesting part is about the failures, the idea came to my mind when I was thinking if Ehsanpour can't medal this time (2019) he will be the worst wrestler ever but I was wrong. this is the list of wrestlers with most appearances without medal

Eskandar Filabi (8), Ebrahim Mehraban (5), Naser Zeinalnia (5), Ali Hajiloo (4)

Filabi made the team 7 times in a row and didn't medal he was close couple of time though. Mehraban who is one of the national coach right now made it 5 in a row and didn't medal, I remember his career he was never close. from the current wrestlers, Reza Atri is very well capable of making the list if he doesn't medal next time.

Edited by wrestfan

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

but the most interesting part is about the failures, the idea came to my mind when I was thinking if Ehsanpour can't medal this time (2019) he will be the worst wrestler ever but I was wrong. this is the list of wrestlers with most appearances without medal

Eskandar Filabi (8), Ebrahim Mehraban (5), Ali Hajiloo (4)

Almost seems unfair to have Filabi in there as a failure.  I think for about a decade during the Alexander Medved reign, he was the 4th best heavyweight wrestler in the world.  He also had a chronic injury that made his job harder

7 hours ago, irani said:

Almost seems unfair to have Filabi in there as a failure.  I think for about a decade during the Alexander Medved reign, he was the 4th best heavyweight wrestler in the world.  He also had a chronic injury that made his job harder

he made the team 8 times and didn't medal. losing to Medved is OK but he also lost to other guys. the guy before him (Anvari) at least medalled once

btw there was a mistake in my list, I missed Naser Zeinalnia who didn't medal in 5 tries. even though I remember his career too, he was close few times. really not a bad wrestler.

Edited by wrestfan

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

he made the team 8 times and didn't medal. losing to Medved is OK but he also lost to other guys. the guy before him (Anvari) at least medalled once

btw there was a mistake in my list, I missed Naser Zeinalnia who didn't medal in 5 tries. even though I remember his career too, he was close few times. really not a bad wrestler.

Yeah, he lost to Taylor in 1972.  In those days the superweight was unlimited, and Taylor weigh over  400 lbs.  Here is a picture of them wrestling 

Moslem Filabi vs Chris Taylor 1972.jpg

He did win gold a few times in Asia, so he was not a complete failure

10 minutes ago, irani said:

Yeah, he lost to Taylor in 1972.  In those days the superweight was unlimited, and Taylor weigh over  400 lbs.  Here is a picture of them wrestling 

He did win gold a few times in Asia, so he was not a complete failure

of course when you are #1 in your own country for so many years you can't be that bad lol but still you know Iran always dominated super heavy weight in Asia, even Mehraban (to be honest he was really bad) did that in his time. it was even easier because Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan didn't exist at the time. if it wasn't for Artur Taymazov I could say Iran won gold at the Asian Games every time participated.

but you know rules were weird at the time of Filabi's career,  maybe he deserved few medals but those weird rules prevented him... just to have a better idea, Mansour Mehdizadeh at the 1964 Olympics, he beat eventual gold medalist, he beat the silver medalist, he tied the bronze medalist but finished 4th himself without losing a single match !!!

btw speaking of Filabi, he is a member of terrorist organization MEK now ! lol so even if his career wasn't a complete failure, he was failure himself.

2 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

of course when you are #1 in your own country for so many years you can't be that bad lol but still you know Iran always dominated super heavy weight in Asia, even Mehraban (to be honest he was really bad) did that in his time. it was even easier because Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan didn't exist at the time. if it wasn't for Artur Taymazov I could say Iran won gold at the Asian Games every time participated.

but you know rules were weird at the time of Filabi's career,  maybe he deserved few medals but those weird rules prevented him... just to have a better idea, Mansour Mehdizadeh at the 1964 Olympics, he beat eventual gold medalist, he beat the silver medalist, he tied the bronze medalist but finished 4th himself without losing a single match !!!

Anvari never did better than bronze in Asia, so it's not accurate to say Iran always dominated the super heavyweight.

I am aware of Filabi's political activities.  He was a member of MKO even before the revolution.  Kazem Gholami, who used to always take second to Movahed was another MKO wrestler

1 minute ago, irani said:

Anvari never did better than bronze in Asia, so it's not accurate to say Iran always dominated the super heavyweight.

Anvari's bronze was not in super heavyweight but a lighter weight. he never wrestled in Asia beside that. (Asian Championships didn't exist at the time. )

if you check Asian Games results, Iran always won the gold medal except 1954 and 1962 (where Iran didn't participate) and except Taymazov's era.

Just now, wrestfan said:

Anvari's bronze was not in super heavyweight but a lighter weight. he never wrestled in Asia beside that. (Asian Championships didn't exist at the time. )

if you check Asian Games results, Iran always won the gold medal except 1954 and 1962 (where Iran didn't participate) and except Taymazov's era.

You are correct that Anvari's medal is in the 100 KG as opposed to 100+ Kg.  He lost to some unheard of Indian dude

But the point remains that gold medals were not automatic at the heavyweight and superheavy weight levels.

We had all sort of bad disappointments in the 1970 Asian games in wrestling.  Anvari lost, Movahed could only tie for the gold, and Talebi, an olympic gold medalist, failed to medal in  57 Kg

1 hour ago, irani said:

I am aware of Filabi's political activities.  He was a member of MKO even before the revolution.  Kazem Gholami, who used to always take second to Movahed was another MKO wrestler

Who was IRI 100+ in 1982 (Edmonton)? I thought he was one of the ones that defected during the event.

8 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Who was IRI 100+ in 1982 (Edmonton)? I thought he was one of the ones that defected during the event.

The Super Heavyweight was Reza Sookhte-Sarayee.  he did not defect

It was a mid weight Mehdioun who defected

3 hours ago, wrestfan said:

I'm not sure but I think that's Saber Emamgholipour

Never heard of him https://unitedworldwrestling.org/database

I thought they were yelling at him and calling Nader or Kaveh,  but it could have been Saber

It seemed to me that Yazdani really got along with Rassul Khadem very well.

I hope the new coaching staff gets along with him, but more importantly, I hope they devise a different approach against Taylor.  Trying to wear him out will not work