wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

1 hour ago, irani said:

It seemed to me that Yazdani really got along with Rassul Khadem very well.

I hope the new coaching staff gets along with him, but more importantly, I hope they devise a different approach against Taylor.  Trying to wear him out will not work

I think Hassan Yazdani can get along with anybody, he is good with everybody. I never heard he complains about anything ! which is very rare for an Iranian, very different character than Reza Yazdani for example. he was very good with Talaei, then very good with Khadem and now good with G. Mohammadi.

but having a plan against Taylor is another story, Mohammadi didn't change anything for Karimi against Cox (Karimi lost even more convincingly this time) but I think it's probably easier for Yazdani (comparing to Karimi vs Cox) btw I really would love to see Taylor vs Ghasempour somewhere before the Olympics.

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

btw I really would love to see Taylor vs Ghasempour somewhere before the Olympics.

Well, if they start having tournaments again any time soon, Taylor has said that he wants to enter every tough tournament, so they could send Ghasempour to one of them

Didn't Ghassempour have a really bad showing in his last tournament?

39 minutes ago, irani said:

Well, if they start having tournaments again any time soon, Taylor has said that he wants to enter every tough tournament, so they could send Ghasempour to one of them

Didn't Ghassempour have a really bad showing in his last tournament?

He wasn't great but still he won the Worlds U23 gold medal. and you should know he had serious knee injury which he still has (as far as I know) he needs a surgery which he postponed to still has a chance for the Olympics. I don't know what's the plan now.

btw I don't think our coaches care about that possible matchup. they probably focus more on preparing Yazdani. personally I would bet on Ghasempour on that possible match. (and I think @Shiraz123 agrees with me this time lol)

but I really hope they start having tournaments again, no matter where. this is just hard to live in a world without wrestling ! but yes I know health comes first

2 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

but I really hope they start having tournaments again, no matter where. this is just hard to live in a world without wrestling ! 

Yes, me too.  One of the bad side effects of no wrestling is too many bad posts from me while I am bored.

If this continues much longer, I will be banned from the forum soon!

11 hours ago, wrestfan said:

He wasn't great but still he won the Worlds U23 gold medal. and you should know he had serious knee injury which he still has (as far as I know) he needs a surgery which he postponed to still has a chance for the Olympics. I don't know what's the plan now.

btw I don't think our coaches care about that possible matchup. they probably focus more on preparing Yazdani. personally I would bet on Ghasempour on that possible match. (and I think @Shiraz123 agrees with me this time lol)

but I really hope they start having tournaments again, no matter where. this is just hard to live in a world without wrestling ! but yes I know health comes first

You would say Ghasempour beats Taylor? I'm not sure, it' definitely a very different style match than Taylor vs Yazdani. I think Yazdani's aggressive style works against him against Taylor, so maybe Ghasempour would do better. Is that what you think also or another reason?

Edited by Shiraz123

7 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

You would say Ghasempour beats Taylor? I'm not sure, it' definitely a very different style match than Taylor vs Yazdani. I think Yazdani's aggressive style works against him against Taylor, so maybe Ghasempour would do better. Is that what you think also or another reason?

I thought you guys were kidding.  So let me just point out a few facts and opinions

• The last time I saw Taylor lose,  was against j"aden Cox 
  • The other time I saw Taylor lose, was against Jordan Burroughs
  • Both matches were really close, I have no reason to believe Ghasempour can perform anywhere near those two guys
  • Taylor has an all attack style that tries to wear out his opponents
  • Has Ghasempour ever faced an opponent with an all attack style trying to wear him out?  Yes!! Hassan Yazdani
  • I would say that Taylor is very similar to Yazdani, less raw strength, but far better endurance.
  • Ghasempour has zero chance against Taylor, in my opinion
  • Below are the two Taylor losses for your viewing please

Taylor lost more times than just to Cox and Burroughs, lol. Lashgari and that Nurmagomed guy beat him him in Azerbaijan in 2016 at 86kg. If you want to go all the way back Rahimi beat him at junior worlds but obviously that is not relevent.

I wouldn't say its fair to say Ghasempour is nowhere close to those two. Cox at 86 is different from Cox at 92. I don't think Ghasempour at his peak right now at 86 is any less than Cox was at 86 when he was there in 16/17. Especially not on one leg like that third second match. Cox at 86 lost to Yasar, Sharifov, Marsagashvili and Makoev.  You don't think Ghasempour could get at least two bronze medals if he went to worlds these past two years instead of Yazdani? 

Taylor was close with Burroughs but to be fair a lot of people are. Hosseinkhani almost beat Burroughs. That match with Burroughs is misleading, Taylor was probably not a top 74, Tsabalov and Tsargush both destroyed him when he went to Yasar Dogu as a 74. 

Taylor lost a few other times as well, an unknown Ukrainian wrestler beat him and clubs cup at 86kg a few before the 2017 world cup.   

I think you are underestimating Ghasempour. He really is a top wrestler who is young and was improving a lot before his knee injury. If he keeps improving I can see him doing well against a lot of guys, right now only Taylor and Yazdani are better than him at 86. I think he will probably always be behind Yazdani as they are around the same age but Taylor is a lot older.

1 hour ago, irani said:
  •  
  • Has Ghasempour ever faced an opponent with an all attack style trying to wear him out?  Yes!! Hassan Yazdani
  • I would say that Taylor is very similar to Yazdani, less raw strength, but far better endurance.

When Hassan and Taylor wrestle the same wrestler Hassan always beats them easier, so just because Hassan beat Ghasempour doesn't mean Taylor would beat him even easier. For example because Hassan beat Ghasempour 6 - 3 doesn't mean Taylor would beat him 10 - 3 or something. Watch Hassan wrestle Cuba's 86 and then watch Taylor's matches against him, one of them even went to 4 - 4 criteria although Taylor has obviously figured him out since. Watch Taylor wrestle Kurugliev and Naifanov and then watch Yazdani wrestle them. Or Hassan vs Gostiyev and Taylor vs Gostiyev. Hassan pretty much always has an easier time against common opponents. 

I think Hassan has some technical problems against Taylor that are on display. If you watch their two matches i'd say Hassan only gets one actual takedown  off his own leg attacks over the course of the 10 or so minutes they wrestled. I wanted to make a post highlighting this and probably will closer to whenever they wrestle, you can look at the matches yourself and you will notice it. Most of the time he is relying on bullying Taylor around the mat, which obviously is not working for him. Actually he was fortunate Taylor gave up some stupid takedowns at the start of their second match in 2018. I could see Ghasempour's style which is based more off of  leg attacks at the right moments having better results. Not saying I would pick Ghasempour but maybe @wrestfan is more confident.

Edited by Shiraz123

34 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Taylor lost more times than just to Cox and Burroughs, lol. Lashgari and that Nurmagomed guy beat him him in Azerbaijan in 2016 at 86kg. If you want to go all the way back Rahimi beat him at junior worlds but obviously that is not relevent.

I wouldn't say its fair to say Ghasempour is nowhere close to those two. Cox at 86 is different from Cox at 92. I don't think Ghasempour at his peak right now at 86 is any less than Cox was at 86 when he was there in 16/17. Especially not on one leg like that third second match. Cox at 86 lost to Yasar, Sharifov, Marsagashvili and Makoev.  You don't think Ghasempour could get at least two bronze medals if he went to worlds these past two years instead of Yazdani? 

Taylor was close with Burroughs but to be fair a lot of people are. Hosseinkhani almost beat Burroughs. That match with Burroughs is misleading, Taylor was probably not a top 74, Tsabalov and Tsargush both destroyed him when he went to Yasar Dogu as a 74. 

Taylor lost a few other times as well, an unknown Ukrainian wrestler beat him and clubs cup at 86kg a few before the 2017 world cup.   

I think you are underestimating Ghasempour. He really is a top wrestler who is young and was improving a lot before his knee injury. If he keeps improving I can see him doing well against a lot of guys, right now only Taylor and Yazdani are better than him at 86. I think he will probably always be behind Yazdani as they are around the same age but Taylor is a lot older.

When Hassan and Taylor wrestle the same wrestler Hassan always beats them easier, so just because Hassan beat Ghasempour doesn't mean Taylor would beat him even easier. For example because Hassan beat Ghasempour 6 - 3 doesn't mean Taylor would beat him 10 - 3 or something. Watch Hassan wrestle Cuba's 86 and then watch Taylor's matches against him, one of them even went to 4 - 4 criteria although Taylor has obviously figured him out since. Watch Taylor wrestle Kurugliev and Naifanov and then watch Yazdani wrestle them. Or Hassan vs Gostiyev and Taylor vs Gostiyev. Hassan pretty much always has an easier time against common opponents. 

I think Hassan has some technical problems against Taylor that are on display. If you watch their two matches i'd say Hassan only gets one actual takedown over the course of the 10 or so minutes they wrestled. I wanted to make a post highlighting this and probably will closer to whenever they wrestle, you can look at the matches yourself and you will notice it. Most of the time he is relying on bullying Taylor around the mat, which obviously is not working for him. Actually he was fortunate Taylor gave up some stupid takedowns at the start of their second match in 2018. I could see Ghasempour's style which is based more off of  leg attacks at the right moments having better results. Not saying I would pick Ghasempour but maybe @wrestfan is more confident.

We agree on lots of points.  

I agree that just because wrestler A beats Wrest B, and wrestler B beats C, it does not mean A beats C in Wrestling.

However, I am arguing that because Yazdani and Taylor have a similar style, ghasempour will struggle against Taylor

As far as Taylor goes, yes, he had other losses in the past, but the man is undefeated for the past two years, and has won every match in dominating fashion, including against Yazdani

I also agree that Yazdani did not show any technique against Taylor.  In both matches he manhandled him and got lots of points, mostly by push outs, and then he ran out of gas and lost,

12 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

I think Ghasempour wrestles smarter than Hassan, that's why I would bet on him (if healthy) against Taylor, of course I'm not "sure" this is just my prediction,

you explained everything perfectly, not much left for me to add, I also don't think Ghasempour will gas against Taylor, he usually knows how to spend his energy during the match.

of course I'm talking about a healthy Ghasempour, that guy we saw at Worlds U23 was nowhere close.

15 hours ago, irani said:

@wrestfan and @Shiraz123 

Can you kindly post a few videos showing Ghasempour at his best?   

I have only seen him against Yazdani, and also read about his performance at the world u23 

https://www.telewebion.com/episode/2019927

Vs Bazi at the Takhti final

https://www.picuki.com/media/1975319766701488399

He wrestles a much more patient style based off his incredible misdirection leg attacks, instead of Hassan who tries to run up the score against everyone he wrestles. His style is probably more suited against someone like Taylor. 

15 hours ago, wrestfan said:

I think Ghasempour wrestles smarter than Hassan, that's why I would bet on him (if healthy) against Taylor, of course I'm not "sure" this is just my prediction,

you explained everything perfectly, not much left for me to add, I also don't think Ghasempour will gas against Taylor, he usually knows how to spend his energy during the match.

of course I'm talking about a healthy Ghasempour, that guy we saw at Worlds U23 was nowhere close.

Lol what I wonder what would happen if they send Yazdani and Ghasempour to a tournament and Ghasempour beats Taylor but then loses to Hassan in the final. 

Edited by Shiraz123

5 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

https://www.telewebion.com/episode/2019927

Vs Bazi at the Takhti final

https://www.picuki.com/media/1975319766701488399

He wrestles a much more patient style based off his incredible misdirection leg attacks, instead of Hassan who tries to run up the score against everyone he wrestles. His style is probably more suited against someone like Taylor. 

Lol what I wonder what would happen if they send Yazdani and Ghasempour to a tournament and Ghasempour beats Taylor but then loses to Hassan in the final. 

Thanks for posting the videos.  I am impressed

The first and third videos tell me against weaker competition, he is capable of wracking up points and destroying them the way he is supposed

The second video tells me that against solid competition he shows he does not panic when he loses a point, grinds away points and has plenty of gas in the tank

I really hope they give him more chances to compete against high caliber competition.  More importantly, I hope they address his knee injury ASAP.   If there is a hospital that is not filled with Corona viruses, right now would be an excellent time to have the knee surgery

Iran National Anti Doping Organization banned 3 wrestlers for 4 years for doping today. all 3 of them represented Iran in international competitions before. not unknown wrestlers but still they are not big names, I think you guys remember Morteza Ghiasi (5th place Worlds U23), other 2 guys are in Greco, Rasoul Garmsiri and Keyvan Rezaei. these guys all failed the test in local competitions. because of financial situation Iran can't test everybody, mostly wrestlers inside the national camp are being tested regularly, for the rest it's just random. that's probably the reason why some wrestlers are only good in local tournaments.

that guy Behrouz Hedayat's sample also came back positive (as we already knew) he is waiting to receive his suspension.

15 hours ago, irani said:

Thanks for posting the videos.  I am impressed

The first and third videos tell me against weaker competition, he is capable of wracking up points and destroying them the way he is supposed

The second video tells me that against solid competition he shows he does not panic when he loses a point, grinds away points and has plenty of gas in the tank

I really hope they give him more chances to compete against high caliber competition.  More importantly, I hope they address his knee injury ASAP.   If there is a hospital that is not filled with Corona viruses, right now would be an excellent time to have the knee surgery

He already beat  all the top guys at 86 basically except Taylor who he didn't wrestle and Yazdani who he lost to. He hasn't wrestled Kurugliev but he beat Naifanov who was in front of him in Russia last year and beat Kudyamagomedov who wrestles for Italy now. It's hard to find Ghasempour's matches against some of these guys because they are somewhere in the middle of 3 hour videos that I saw live and not uploaded individually. Russia has a few 86kg wrestlers who are all on the same level, whenever they wrestle amongst themselves the matches are 2 - 2, 2 -1 and low scores like that. I think he just needs to wrestle Taylor at this point. 

5 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

He already beat  all the top guys at 86 basically except Taylor who he didn't wrestle and Yazdani who he lost to. He hasn't wrestled Kurugliev but he beat Naifanov who was in front of him in Russia last year and beat Kudyamagomedov who wrestles for Italy now. It's hard to find Ghasempour's matches against some of these guys because they are somewhere in the middle of 3 hour videos that I saw live and not uploaded individually. Russia has a few 86kg wrestlers who are all on the same level, whenever they wrestle amongst themselves the matches are 2 - 2, 2 -1 and low scores like that. I think he just needs to wrestle Taylor at this point. 

Fair enough!   Let's hope they address his knee injury ASAP, and that he gets the opportunity to wrestle in a few major tournaments

Is Hassan Rahimi planning a comeback?

https://www.khabarvarzeshi.com/fa/news/255561/اطری-پُزِ-عالی-و-جیبِ-خالی-حکایت-قهرمانان‌کشتی-است

* حسن رحیمی اگر تصمیم به بازگشت گرفته‌اند، قطعاً همه جوانب را محاسبه کردند. ایشان افتخار ما هستند، تجربه خوبی دارند، هم قهرمان جهان و المپیک و یکی از بِرَند‌های کشتی ما هستند. اگر با شرایط مناسب به تیم ملی برسند، کلاس تیم بالا می‌رود. البته همه‌چیز به تصمیم او و کادر فنی تیم ملی بستگی دارد.

2 hours ago, irani said:

Is Hassan Rahimi planning a comeback?

https://www.khabarvarzeshi.com/fa/news/255561/اطری-پُزِ-عالی-و-جیبِ-خالی-حکایت-قهرمانان‌کشتی-است

* حسن رحیمی اگر تصمیم به بازگشت گرفته‌اند، قطعاً همه جوانب را محاسبه کردند. ایشان افتخار ما هستند، تجربه خوبی دارند، هم قهرمان جهان و المپیک و یکی از بِرَند‌های کشتی ما هستند. اگر با شرایط مناسب به تیم ملی برسند، کلاس تیم بالا می‌رود. البته همه‌چیز به تصمیم او و کادر فنی تیم ملی بستگی دارد.

wasn't he planning a comeback last year then he called it off?

Alireza Karimi had knee surgery today, that was apparently successful and he will be ready to wrestle in 7 months ! he was supposed to somehow deal with this knee until the  Olympics but now with this postponement they changed the plan.

7104.jpg&Title=7104.jpg

7102.jpg&Title=7102.jpg

On 4/17/2020 at 10:31 PM, wrestfan said:

Iran National Anti Doping Organization banned 3 wrestlers for 4 years for doping today. all 3 of them represented Iran in international competitions before. not unknown wrestlers but still they are not big names, I think you guys remember Morteza Ghiasi (5th place Worlds U23), other 2 guys are in Greco, Rasoul Garmsiri and Keyvan Rezaei. these guys all failed the test in local competitions. because of financial situation Iran can't test everybody, mostly wrestlers inside the national camp are being tested regularly, for the rest it's just random. that's probably the reason why some wrestlers are only good in local tournaments.

that guy Behrouz Hedayat's sample also came back positive (as we already knew) he is waiting to receive his suspension.

Just read an interview with Keyvan Rezaei, and he had the most amazing and pathetic explanation.

He said "I did it, and I have no regrets"  He said he was trying to leave wrestling and start MMA, and Bana and his father were advising him against leaving wrestling.

He says now there is no pressure to stay in wrestling, and he is going to pursue MMA.  He is on his way to Thailand to join a MMA camp there.

I guess AmirAli Akbari has become a role model for some of these wrestlers trying to make money

https://www.khabarvarzeshi.com/fa/news/255675/دوپینگ-کردم-چون-حقم-را-در-کشتی-ندادند

2 hours ago, irani said:

Just read an interview with Keyvan Rezaei, and he had the most amazing and pathetic explanation.

He said "I did it, and I have no regrets"  He said he was trying to leave wrestling and start MMA, and Bana and his father were advising him against leaving wrestling.

He says now there is no pressure to stay in wrestling, and he is going to pursue MMA.  He is on his way to Thailand to join a MMA camp there.

I guess AmirAli Akbari has become a role model for some of these wrestlers trying to make money

https://www.khabarvarzeshi.com/fa/news/255675/دوپینگ-کردم-چون-حقم-را-در-کشتی-ندادند

Lol pathetic? I respect him saying that a lot. 

1 minute ago, Shiraz123 said:

I respect him saying that a lot. 

If he wanted to quit wrestling, and go to MMA, then he should have quit and gone to MMA, instead of disgracing himself by doping.

I do appreciate the honesty about doping though

Just now, irani said:

If he wanted to quit wrestling, and go to MMA, then he should have quit and gone to MMA, instead of disgracing himself by doping.

I do appreciate the honesty about doping though

Lol the honesty is great, usually they bring 1000 strange excuses. Anyway he may have trouble now. Amir was signed to the UFC (biggest mma organisation) then they didn't let him fight because of his lifetime wrestling ban. This guy may have the same problem, but maybe not since his ban is only internal to Iran so they may not even find out about it and it's not for life.

3 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Lol the honesty is great, usually they bring 1000 strange excuses. Anyway he may have trouble now. Amir was signed to the UFC (biggest mma organisation) then they didn't let him fight because of his lifetime wrestling ban. This guy may have the same problem, but maybe not since his ban is only internal to Iran so they may not even find out about it and it's not for life.

His situation is a little better than Amir.  Amir had a lifetime ban, and has no chance of ever fighting for UFC.  He has to compete with the second rate organizations

Rezaie's ban is not life time.  He can do what Amir did, start in Thailand, fight for second rate organizations, but if he is successful, when his ban is over, he could give UFC a shot

23 hours ago, irani said:

That was misunderstanding, apparently he was asked somewhere if everything is in place will you come back ? and he said yes why not.

he made it clear again since "the situation is not perfect" he has no intention to come back. and that's probably the best for him. as far as I know he never lost to Iranian wrestlers since his 2008 Olympic trials defeat to Taghi Dadashi. this is better for him to keep it this way.