wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

I read so many interviews and comments from wrestlers praising this "team selection package" they officially call it "Cycle" !  lol I'm sure complains start very soon when it actually happens.

Meisam Nasiri for example claims he sweared to never wrestle again but now he is motivated to wrestle !

and MJ Ebrahimi is now preparing himself to beat everybody at 97kg !!! it will be funny if he achieves something with his ultra conservative style.

but that made me think what about non-Olympic weights ? I know nobody cares about that right now but in time for the 2021 World Champs that will be somehow important. that "very smart trial system" says nothing about that. they have to consider an extra trial. if I was Karimi I would focus on that to finally win a world title (with Cox not being around)

I also read that Amir Mohammad Yazdani can't keep himself for 65kg anymore and most probably will try his chance at 74. I think Maghsoudi also has to do the same. but unfortunately nobody can move up to 55kg to challenge Atri !

PS: it seems Dabir and Mohammadi are good now. after that press conference I was almost sure Mohammadi will resign before Dabir firing him but none of them happened !

7 hours ago, wrestfan said:

I read so many interviews and comments from wrestlers praising this "team selection package" they officially call it "Cycle" !  lol I'm sure complains start very soon when it actually happens.

Meisam Nasiri for example claims he sweared to never wrestle again but now he is motivated to wrestle !

and MJ Ebrahimi is now preparing himself to beat everybody at 97kg !!! it will be funny if he achieves something with his ultra conservative style.

but that made me think what about non-Olympic weights ? I know nobody cares about that right now but in time for the 2021 World Champs that will be somehow important. that "very smart trial system" says nothing about that. they have to consider an extra trial. if I was Karimi I would focus on that to finally win a world title (with Cox not being around)

I also read that Amir Mohammad Yazdani can't keep himself for 65kg anymore and most probably will try his chance at 74. I think Maghsoudi also has to do the same. but unfortunately nobody can move up to 55kg to challenge Atri !

PS: it seems Dabir and Mohammadi are good now. after that press conference I was almost sure Mohammadi will resign before Dabir firing him but none of them happened !

But there is no date for this procedure starting, right? They don't know when the first provincial competitions will be?

3 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

But there is no date for this procedure starting, right? They don't know when the first provincial competitions will be?

yes there is somehow, I mean not the exact date but the month

nothing for the first provincial round
Nationals in Mehr (September-October)
Takhti Cup in Azar (November-December)
first Intl tournament in Dey (December-January)
Asian Champs in Bahman (January-February) (while in UWW calendar it's scheduled for April)
Trials in Farvardin (March-April)
final Intl tournament in Dey (May-June)

and it's kind of being too optimistic to think we can have a big tournament like nationals in 4 months. (and what about pre-nationals ?) Iran is reporting more positive coronavirus cases since the reopening. and wrestling federation is still waiting for the health ministry's approval to open wrestling clubs (at least for limited number of wrestlers)

for people who can't understand, these are Persian months, Iran use a different calendar

United world wrestling will be interviewing Hassan Yazdani on their instagram today. Obviously Iranian wrestler interviews are usually terrible and very boring (especially Hassan, but I understand they are usually worried about creating controversy) lol but will be interesting to see what they ask him. 

this instagram page usually shares interesting clips. (I assume you guys already know that)

but I found this one very interesting, bitter moments of Iranian top wrestlers , Sourian, Abdevali, Esmaeilpour, Rahimi, both Yazdanis, Noroozi, the last part is the last comment of Sourian about his career in Rio "it ends bad"

even after 4 years it still feels bad watching Mohammad Bana crying. you can say whatever you want about this guy and his methods but I never saw someone as committed and passionate as him about coaching.

2 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

this instagram page usually shares interesting clips. (I assume you guys already know that)

but I found this one very interesting, bitter moments of Iranian top wrestlers , Sourian, Abdevali, Esmaeilpour, Rahimi, both Yazdanis, Noroozi, the last part is the last comment of Sourian about his career in Rio "it ends bad"

even after 4 years it still feels bad watching Mohammad Bana crying. you can say whatever you want about this guy and his methods but I never saw someone as committed and passionate as him about coaching.

The most heartbreaking one for me was Reza Yazdani being carried on a wheelchair.  All the other ones were painful, but they were at least partially to blame.

Thanks for sharing

I am not on instagram.  I waste enough time on here, Facebook, twitter, and LinkedIn, but you are now tempting me to add one more bad habit to my collection.

16 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Wow.  Break out the razor blades.  Lets get this pandemic over with!!

On 6/17/2020 at 1:39 PM, wrestfan said:

Thanks for sharing.  Apart from the emotions aspect ran through out the video, i really liked the background music (song), nice song!

On 6/18/2020 at 1:13 AM, irani said:

The most heartbreaking one for me was Reza Yazdani being carried on a wheelchair.  All the other ones were painful, but they were at least partially to blame.

Thanks for sharing

I am not on instagram.  I waste enough time on here, Facebook, twitter, and LinkedIn, but you are now tempting me to add one more bad habit to my collection.

Well of course that was very painful to watch, he had gold medal on his pocket after beating Gadisov and Gazyumov losing to this UKR guy.

but the others were also mostly after controversial calls, Esmaeilpour was crying because he thinks he got robbed against Kudukhov (Olympic 2012) if I'm not wrong we never saw that action from a better angle but at least Esmaeilpour believes Kudukhv stepped out first, Iranian coaches decided to not protest the action, they thought Masoud can score 1 point on a tired Kudukhov to win the third period 1-1. turned out to be a mistake.

or Noroozi got robbed against Bolkvadze in Rio, he lost 2-0 to two passivity cautions, while the match was even and Noroozi was somehow more active. as for Abdevali I don't know what year this is (probably 2012) , this guy had lots of moments like this lol. he is the scream queen of Iranian wrestling !

and Sourian screaming "It's over, they disqualified me" at the start of the clip, that's 2015 WCh vs Bayramov, when that German referee directly disqualified him after the second caution. that was his response to his coach on the corner who was telling him to "keep calm, you still can win this"

nice clip, this guy also has a good taste of music if you watch his other clips in that instragram page

yes I also have that problem. being on social media is like addiction, but you don't have to be active yourself , you just can watch and follow interesting pages.

On 6/20/2020 at 5:05 PM, wrestfan said:

Well of course that was very painful to watch, he had gold medal on his pocket after beating Gadisov and Gazyumov losing to this UKR guy.

but the others were also mostly after controversial calls, Esmaeilpour was crying because he thinks he got robbed against Kudukhov (Olympic 2012) if I'm not wrong we never saw that action from a better angle but at least Esmaeilpour believes Kudukhv stepped out first, Iranian coaches decided to not protest the action, they thought Masoud can score 1 point on a tired Kudukhov to win the third period 1-1. turned out to be a mistake.

or Noroozi got robbed against Bolkvadze in Rio, he lost 2-0 to two passivity cautions, while the match was even and Noroozi was somehow more active. as for Abdevali I don't know what year this is (probably 2012) , this guy had lots of moments like this lol. he is the scream queen of Iranian wrestling !

and Sourian screaming "It's over, they disqualified me" at the start of the clip, that's 2015 WCh vs Bayramov, when that German referee directly disqualified him after the second caution. that was his response to his coach on the corner who was telling him to "keep calm, you still can win this"

nice clip, this guy also has a good taste of music if you watch his other clips in that instragram page

yes I also have that problem. being on social media is like addiction, but you don't have to be active yourself , you just can watch and follow interesting pages.

I watched the Sourian match against Bayramov again .   This is what I see, tell me if you see it differently

Bayramov slapped sourian in his face around 1:23, Sourian got upset and head butted him.  Sourian definitely deserved the first penalty, bayramov could have been penalized too, but it's a gray area

the second headbutt at 5:46  looked unintentional and accidental to me.  It's hard to know for sure, but I didn't think it was deserving of a penalty.

The way the match was going, I don't think Soryan could have  come back anyway

Beach wrestling will replace greco in the 2022 youth Olympics. I also read that there are rumours that GR is getting cut in 2024. Thoughts? Are they slowly trying to phase out GR? To me it makes no sense to take out GR and put in beach, if they do that I would prefer they just add more weights to FS, not bring in another style which as far as I know is similar to FS but just on sand. I do not see them proposing beach boxing or beach tae kwon do for the Olympics lol.

Edited by Shiraz123

5 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Beach wrestling will replace greco in the 2022 youth Olympics. I also read that there are rumours that GR is getting cut in 2024. Thoughts? Are they slowly trying to phase out GR? To me it makes no sense to take out GR and put in beach, if they do that I would prefer they just add more weights to FS, not bring in another style which as far as I know is similar to FS but just on sand. I do not see them proposing beach boxing or beach tae kwon do for the Olympics lol.

Ok i just saw there is a whole thread on this, lol 

On 6/21/2020 at 11:43 PM, irani said:

I watched the Sourian match against Bayramov again .   This is what I see, tell me if you see it differently

Bayramov slapped sourian in his face around 1:23, Sourian got upset and head butted him.  Sourian definitely deserved the first penalty, bayramov could have been penalized too, but it's a gray area

the second headbutt at 5:46  looked unintentional and accidental to me.  It's hard to know for sure, but I didn't think it was deserving of a penalty.

The way the match was going, I don't think Soryan could have  come back anyway

Man, the DQ was tough to watch.  First call, okay, I get it, but the second one was not flagrant in the least.  Bayramov had his head lower than Sourian most of the bout; tough not to have some contact, particularly when  Sourian has a great level change to high dive and came very close to locking up; looked like Bayramov was defending that and backing out when Sourian rushed him, probably hoping to force a push out.  Seems like a wrestler of his stature would be given the benefit of the doubt in that circumstance.  Not like there was 10 seconds left and he was frustrated and just took it out on his opponent.  JMHO

20 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

Man, the DQ was tough to watch.  First call, okay, I get it, but the second one was not flagrant in the least.  Bayramov had his head lower than Sourian most of the bout; tough not to have some contact, particularly when  Sourian has a great level change to high dive and came very close to locking up; looked like Bayramov was defending that and backing out when Sourian rushed him, probably hoping to force a push out.  Seems like a wrestler of his stature would be given the benefit of the doubt in that circumstance.  Not like there was 10 seconds left and he was frustrated and just took it out on his opponent.  JMHO

Once again, you and I agree coach J

What do you think of the slap to the face by Barramov before souryan head butted him?

17 hours ago, irani said:

Once again, you and I agree coach J

What do you think of the slap to the face by Barramov before souryan head butted him?

I think it was a little aggressive but could have been returned with a complimentary slap and all would have been fine.  It was certainly not in the league of Joe Warren-style punching!  https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6746560-joe-warren-likes-to-open-with-a-hard-club