wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

and about Greco

nothing about 59, 80, 85 and 98 which means Mardani, Ghaderian, Nouri and Salehizadeh are already selected.

66, it will be between Eliasi, Arsalan and Mohammad Reza Geraei, they will most probably send all of them to an international competition. Amin Souri is also in mix but not for the worlds, maybe for the Indoor Games

71, between Mohammad Ali Geraei and Farshad Belfakkeh. coaches will pick one of them

75, the same as 57 freestyle, Saeid Abdevali has to beat #3, then #2 to have a chance to wrestle with Payam Bouyeri. the winner will go to Paris

130, they will sent Shahab Ghourehjili to a tournament, if he fails then there is chance for Mehdizadeh. otherwise Ghourehjili will be selected.

IAWF's technical committee's decisions about the trials, they are forming two teams, one for the Worlds, and another team for the Asian Indoor Games in Turkmenistan

57kg, After 20-25 days Rahimi has to wrestle #3 of the trials (Tahmasebizadeh), if he wins, then against #2 (Hajaghania) and if he wins then he will wrestle Atri in best of 3 of make the world team.

Regarding the 57 kg situation, what motivations do Tahmasebizadeh and Hajaghania have to win vs Rahimi? Why would they make weight for this?

Regarding the 57 kg situation, what motivations do Tahmasebizadeh and Hajaghania have to win vs Rahimi? Why would they make weight for this?

Good question, maybe promoting themselves for the future competitions. the way trials work in Iran you can't came out of nowhere and win the trials and expect them to send you to the Worlds/Olympics unless you completely dominate. You have to get good results first

but there is a real prize this time ! if any of them beats Rahimi they will send him to the Asian Indoor Games in Turkmenistan.

Edited by wrestfan

Let's take a look at the results

57kg, Reza Atri (Mazandaran)

He won the competition without losing a match , still not convincing. they say Rahimi will be ready to wrestle again in two weeks. I think they will either pick Rahimi or let them wrestle somewhere. I highly doubt they send Atri to the worlds without making him wrestle Rahimi.

61kg, Behnam Ehsanpour (Mazandaran)

won the competition, beating all his opponents, I think he was better than Esmaeilpour the whole day and confirmed that in he final. he will go to Paris for sure.

65kg, Meiam Nassiri (Zanjan)

He was pre-tournament favorite, won the competition without losing a single match,will be selected for the world team.

70kg, Saeid Dadashpour (Mazandaran)

Dadashpour is not young not good. he had few close wins, he even lost twice here, once to Ebadi and also to Hosseinkhani. I would give the spot to Ebadi he lost only once and was unlucky. Hosseinkhani except that last second mistake in 1st match was good the whole day except the last final, don't know what happened to him. Dadashpour has a good chance since he won the tournament but not convincingly, I won't be surprised if they make them wrestle again somewhere else. 

74kg, Peiman Yarahmadi (Lorestan)

pre-tournament favorite, won almost easily, he is already in the world team.

86kg, Hassan Yazdani (Mazandaran)

He teched everybody except Karimi which was still one-sided. a head and shoulder above anybody else in Iran and maybe the world.

97kg, Amir Mohammadi (North Khorasan)

I don't like him but he deserves the spot, he was undefeated, they have no other choice but picking him.

125kg, Yadollah Mohebbi (Kermanshah)

He beat Komeil twice, not convincing but still with two wins and since they already had eyes on him, he will be selected 99%

-----------------

so I guess all trial winners will be selected except one or maybe two. 57kg and maybe 70kg.

Wrestfan, thanks for posting. So it looks like Iran's team is set except for 57 and 70. (Wow, no more Gashemi at HWT?)

At 57kg, Rahimi has been right there with the best in the world for several years now. But he's 28 and rehabbing injuries, so will he beat the young and upcoming Atri? Or does IRI just give Rahimi the World spot if he's healthy?

Also for the record, Gilman beat Atri 4-4 in a tight match in the quarterfinals at 2014 Jr. Worlds.

Wrestfan, thanks for posting. So it looks like Iran's team is set except for 57 and 70. (Wow, no more Gashemi at HWT?)

At 57kg, Rahimi has been right there with the best in the world for several years now. But he's 28 and rehabbing injuries, so will he beat the young and upcoming Atri? Or does IRI just give Rahimi the World spot if he's healthy?

Also for the record, Gilman beat Atri 4-4 in a tight match in the quarterfinals at 2014 Jr. Worlds.

you are welcome

as I wrote in another post, the IAWF technical committee took some decisions about 57, 70 and 97 ! they said nothing about other five weights, which means the winner will go to Paris. Mohebbi beat Ghasemi twice, no chance for Ghasemi this time. he was a bit injured though.

Rahimi has to beat trials #3, then #2 to have a chance to wrestle Atri. but in a recent interview Rahimi claims even though he will be ready for the worlds he is not sure if he can wrestle the extra trials, he somehow asked them to pick him directly over someone "who barely wins an Asian medal" !

at 70, it wll be between Dadashpour, Hosseinkhani and Ebadi. there won't be another trial.

at 97, Mohammadi, Rahimi and Goleij and no more trial, Mohammadi won the competition without losing a match, that will be really hard for them to not pick Mohammadi even though obviously they are not satisfy with him representing Iran.

Iran Wrestling federation officially announced the roster for the Greco World Championship and also another for the Asian Martial Arts Games in Turkmenistan.

World Championships

59, Mehrdad Mardani

66, Mohammad Eliasi

71, Mohammad Ali Geraei

75, Saeid Abdevali

80, Yousef Ghaderian

85, Hossein Nouri

98, Mostafa Salehizadeh

130, Shahab Ghourehjili

* Only Abdevali and Ghaderian are not new, for the rest this will be their debut at the Worlds/Olympics. Mardani and Eliasi never even wrestled in an official tournament in senior level.

Asian Martial Arts Games

59, Mohsen Hajipour

66, Amin Souri

71, Farshad Belfakkeh

75, Pejman Poshtam

80, Mehdi Ebrahimi

85, Saman Azizi

98, Amir Hossein Hosseini

130, Behnam Mehdizadeh

with the exception of 71 and 75, they are almost sending the trial winners to the worlds and second placers to the Asian Games. at 75 we had an extra trials because Abdevali was injured during the trials, he had to beat #3 and #2 to meet Bouyeri in the final, he beat Poshtam 9-2 but Afifi claimed he is injured and withdrew after 2 minutes. he was supposed to wrestle Bouyeri in the final but Bouyeri didn't show up as a sign of protest. Abdevali made the world team and now they punished both Bouyeri and Afifi by sending the 3rd placer Poshtam to the Asian Games !

at 65 , we were supposed to see all candidates wrestling in Romanian tournament but they could not participate because of visa issues, they decided the world and AG team member based on the trial results.

the most important and surprising decision was at 71, when they picked Geraei despite finishing 3rd at the trials !! but they can justify this decision since Geraei actually beat Belfakkeh during the trials but lost to 2nd placer Aslan. and finished 3rd in 3-way tiebreak.

Iran official squad for the freestyle world championship

57, Reza Atri

61, Behnam Ehsanpour

65, Meisam Nassiri

70, Mostafa Hosseinkhani

74, Peiman Yarahmadi

86, Hassan Yazdani

97, Amir Mohammadi

125, Yadollah Mohebbi

Asian Martial Arts Games squad

57, Nader Hajaghania

61, Iman Sadeghi

65, Farzad Amouzadeh

70, Saeid Dadashpour

74, Hossein Eliasi

86, Ezzatollah Akbari (or Javad Ebrahimi in case Akbari can't get his visa in time)

97, extra trial between Hassan Rahimi and Mojtaba Goleij

125, Amin Taheri

* As far as I know Asian Martial Games will be held only in Olympic weights ! 

the only question was about 70kg and they picked the trial 2nd place Hosseinkhani over Dadashpour.

Who will be held responsible for the catastrophic performance of the Iranian men's junior FS team at the world championships? 

yep , catastrophic indeed . not just because of the number medals they won, but mostly because they were dominated in most of their defeats. I think only Emami at 60kg could win the gold, for the rest that was impossible. US and Russia were much stronger this year. I never saw US this strong in junior level. they were all on fire.

they wll probably justify the results with the 3rd place team ranking but this is the 2nd year in a row they are getting weak results (last year they finished 4th but at least they won 2 gold medals) after winning the team title twice in a row 2014 and 2015. obviously there is something wrong

The Greco team made up for the disastrous freestyle team by winning 3 gold medals and the team junior Greco title for the 1st time ever.

people expected Iranian Greco to be "dead" after the golden generation (Sourian, Noroozi, etc) but looks like that's not going to happen

but ironically 6 of those 8 wrestlers (including all 5 medalists) were from one province of Khuzestan and 4 of them only from the small city of Andimeshk ! while Mazandaran in north is dominating the freestyle in Iran, Khuzestan in south is dominating the Greco !

What do you think of this Iran team? 

57 - If this weight was as strong as it was the past few years Atri would have no chance to medal. But since almost everyone has left it is considerably easier. Still I think he doesn't win a medal. 

61 - I will say Ehsanpour gets some none gold medal. But gold would not surprise me and no medal at all would not surprise me either. 

65 - No medal, but the weight is easier so maybe Nasiri can get something with the right draw.

70 - Hosseinkhani is good and I can see him winning a medal but not a gold medal. Russia has won this weight in the past 3 years with 3 different wrestlers! 

74 - Bronze or fifth for Yarahmadi. 

86 - I will pick gold for Yazdani but would not be surprised if he loses to Cox

97 - No medal for Mohammadi. 

125 - If he wrestles like he did at the Asian championships then definitely no medal for Mohebi. 

^ I more or less agreed with your prediction

since we don;'t have the draw, I try a different way of prediction

57, 0% chance for gold, 5% for medal

61: 10% gold, 30% medal

65: 5%  gold, 25% medal

70: 10% gold, 30% medal

74: 5% gold, 30% medal

86: 70% gold, 90% medal

97: 0% gold, 20% medal

125: 5% gold, 35% medal

I give more chance to Mohebbi because except Akgul and Geno I believe he can beat the rest

in general I expect gold for Yazdani plus one or two more medals.