wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

1 minute ago, Shiraz123 said:

Lol I think you might be confusing him for someone else. He never won any cadet worlds, he got bronze one time. He went to junior worlds but there were 3 wrestlers in his half of the bracket alone that were better than him and he lost to 2 of them. And I wouldn't say he has any results to make him seem particularly impressive even for his age. Beating a guy his same age and kamarvand in one of the worst weights in Iran for the past 8 years (I know Hassan got a gold and then immediately left) to come third out of five wrestlers is hardly impressive. I would say Nokhodi right now is an average junior level wrestler. 

I will now dedicate my life to supporting Nokhodi :)

2 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Lol I think you might be confusing him for someone else. He never won any cadet worlds, he got bronze one time. He went to junior worlds but there were 3 wrestlers in his half of the bracket alone that were better than him and he lost to 2 of them. And I wouldn't say he has any results to make him seem particularly impressive even for his age. Beating a guy his same age and kamarvand in one of the worst weights in Iran for the past 8 years (I know Hassan got a gold and then immediately left) to come third out of five wrestlers is hardly impressive. I would say Nokhodi right now is an average junior level wrestler. 

2nd in 2019 U23 world championship

1st in 2018 Asian cadet 

9 minutes ago, irani said:

2nd in 2019 U23 world championship

1st in 2018 Asian cadet 

Oh c'mon not asian cadets lool. And yeah in the finals of u23 he got ran over by a real impressive young wrestler. And the worst thing for Nokhodi is with his age and he looks kind of tall he might grow to 86kg and then his career is completely finished cause he won't even have that weak 74kg weight to be in the team on. 

2 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Oh c'mon not asian cadets lool. And yeah in the finals of u23 he got ran over by a real impressive young wrestler. And the worst thing for Nokhodi is with his age and he looks kind of tall he might grow to 86kg and then his career is completely finished cause he won't even have that weak 74kg weight to be in the team on. 

Asia includes Japan, Uzbekistan, Mongolia, India, etc.  First in Asia cadets is pretty damn good in my book

He also took third in Asia Senior championships in 2019.  You are entitled to your opinion, but it would be inaccurate to state he has not achieved any good results.

4 minutes ago, irani said:

Asia includes Japan, Uzbekistan, Mongolia, India, etc.  First in Asia cadets is pretty damn good in my book

He also took third in Asia Senior championships in 2019.  You are entitled to your opinion, but it would be inaccurate to state he has not achieved any good results.

Yes Asian cadets means very little for senior success.  I didn't say he has no "good" results, I mean good for him for winning Asian cadets and silver in U23 but I said he has no results to say he is particularly impressive for his age. And we know that because of how he wrestled when they sent him to the world tournaments. 

His Asian senior bronze  was very fortunate actually.  Extremely weak weight and then on top of it he somehow only had to wrestle just two matches to win bronze.  He lost in the first round to India and then the Japanese wrestler didn't show up for the repechage so he got to wrestle for bronze straight away. So one win and one loss and he has a medal in Asian seniors, you won't see something like that often at all. I think some of the guys at junior worlds in his weight could have won that Asian championships bracket if they were eligible to wrestle in Asia. But that's my point about Nokhodi, he is an average age group level wrestler. Nothing special. A lot of guys his age are a lot better than him. 

8 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

His Asian senior bronze  was very fortunate actually.  Extremely weak weight and then on top of it he somehow only had to wrestle just two matches to win bronze.  He lost in the first round to India and then the Japanese wrestler didn't show up for the repechage so he got to wrestle for bronze straight away. So one win and one loss and he has a medal in Asian seniors, you won't see something like that often at all. I think some of the guys at junior worlds in his weight could have won that Asian championships bracket if they were eligible to wrestle in Asia. But that's my point about Nokhodi, he is an average age group level wrestler. Nothing special. A lot of guys his age are a lot better than him. 

The Indian that he lost to was the 2013 66 KG Asia Champion.

The Bahraini that he beat to win bronze was a Russian that over the hill, but not bad

1 hour ago, irani said:

The Indian that he lost to was the 2013 66 KG Asia Champion.

The Bahraini that he beat to win bronze was a Russian that over the hill, but not bad

That was Batirov on the other side. Nokhodi beat some Kyrgz guy for bronze who looking at his wrestling database profile seems like he had no prime lol 

Edited by Shiraz123

There is a good chance UWW cancels the 2020 Worlds. but I really hope they won't do that before the Iranian trials on Thursday. at least we can see some good matches. and I think in this case these trials will play a role for the next year Olympic trial selection system.

on social medal almost everybody thinks Rahman Amouzad (he is already nicknamed merciless !!) is going to destroy Atri ! I know this kid is pretty good, but did he ever wrestled a notable senior wrestler ? too much pressure for a 17-18 years old kid. I would bet on Atri. (even though I hope I'm wrong)

in Greco the younger Geraei (Mohammad Reza) tested positive for COVID and will miss the trials! they replaced him with Javad Rezaei. this makes me think what if trial winners get infected later? that's highly possible, unless IAWF quarantines everybody until the competition date. COVID most probably won't hurt these young wrestlers but can force them to withdraw from important event.

PS: Geraei was in the national camp until few days ago when they released all wrestlers to train on their own before the trials. I wonder if everyone else is OK

1 minute ago, wrestfan said:

There is a good chance UWW cancels the 2020 Worlds. but I really hope they won't do that before the Iranian trials on Thursday. at least we can see some good matches. and I think in this case these trials will play a role for the next year Olympic trial selection system.

on social medal almost everybody thinks Rahman Amouzad (he is already nicknamed merciless !!) is going to destroy Atri ! I know this kid is pretty good, but did he ever wrestled a notable senior wrestler ? too much pressure for a 17-18 years old kid. I would bet on Atri. (even though I hope I'm wrong)

I really hope this match happens too

1 minute ago, wrestfan said:

in Greco the younger Geraei (Mohammad Reza) tested positive for COVID and will miss the trials! they replaced him with Javad Rezaei. this makes me think what if trial winners get infected later? that's highly possible, unless IAWF quarantines everybody until the competition date. COVID most probably won't hurt these young wrestlers but can force them to withdraw from important event.

PS: Geraei was in the national camp until few days ago when they released all wrestlers to train on their own before the trials. I wonder if everyone else is OK

Yikes

I think I read somewhere that UWW will meet to discuss worlds on 6th November, so we might have got very lucky with the timing as we may get to see trials and then have worlds canceled just a day after. I think there is a good chance it will cancelled too,  but Russia is the country that is really pushing it. And obviously they have huge influence in UWW. I wonder why they don't just host it themselves?

Rahman has a lot of hype behind him. I see some even saying he will win 4 Olympic golds, lol. It's an interesting match, if he can beat Atri then he can beat anyone in the weight. I also wonder how big Rahman is, he wrestled in the league at 61 with + 2kg allowance. They will be wrestling at 59kg for this trial not 57kg, so I wonder if making exactly 57kg  for two days in a row will be hard for him or no problem. His brothers wrestle at 65kg to 70kg I believe so maybe he will end up there. 

Edited by Shiraz123

things look serious, Reza Geraei was tested negative when he joined the camp and now only few days after the camp he is COVID positive. it's almost a sure thing he got infected inside the national camp! this puts the entire freestyle and Greco teams in danger !

they will test all wrestlers again on Tuesday before the trials in Thursday. I really hope they are all OK.

btw Saeid Dadashpour also claims he was sick with COVID-19 before the trials (and didn't train properly prior to that competition) yet he almost beat Hosseinkhani (the only close match he had)

5 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

This is confirmed now, he needs surgery and will be out for a long time !

and it seems it's highly possible that Mazandaran wrestling officials convince Ghasempour to moves up to 92kg, I wonder if we will see Yazdani-Ghasempour this Thursday after all ! maybe they can wrestle and the loser takes the 92kg spot ?!

if it was Yazdani I was almost sure that he can easily win the gold at 92kg. but Ghasempour is more technical, 92kg won't be very easy for him.

ps I was pretending Worlds 2020 is a sure thing, we know it's far from that.

38 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

I agree, Hassan would win 92 in Iran and at worlds very easily. I think Ghasempour can also but he may have trouble with bigger guys. 

Ghasempour officially asked the coaches to change weight and wrestle at 92kg ! so we won't see Yazdani-Ghasempour this Thursday. instead Hassan will have one match against Bazri.

per IAWF's announcement, Alireza Karimi is also back and he wants to wrestle! they changed the format, it will be round robin (double elimination) between Shahbazi, Mirbaghian, Mohebbi, Jalainejad, Karimi and Ghasempour!

30 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Ghasempour officially asked the coaches to change weight and wrestle at 92kg ! so we won't see Yazdani-Ghasempour this Thursday. instead Hassan will have one match against Bazri.

per IAWF's announcement, Alireza Karimi is also back and he wants to wrestle! they changed the format, it will be round robin (double elimination) between Shahbazi, Mirbaghian, Mohebbi, Jalainejad, Karimi and Ghasempour!

They could have added another guy at 86. Why is Erfan Elahi who went to Asia cadets and I don't remember what result he got but I remember he lost 10  - 0 to Japan and then went to world cadets and got a silver medal allowed to wrestle in senior trials  at 70 but Firouzpour who won cadet gold in both Asia and the worlds not allowed to wrestle in the trials at 86? They both won 1 match in the league.

Anyway 92 is interesting now. Karimi and Ghasempour are by far the best wrestlers compared to the others but one is injured and one is going up in weight on only a few days notice. 

2 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

They could have added another guy at 86. Why is Erfan Elahi who went to Asia cadets and I don't remember what result he got but I remember he lost 10  - 0 to Japan and then went to world cadets and got a silver medal allowed to wrestle in senior trials  at 70 but Firouzpour who won cadet gold in both Asia and the worlds not allowed to wrestle in the trials at 86? They both won 1 match in the league.

Anyway 92 is interesting now. Karimi and Ghasempour are by far the best wrestlers compared to the others but one is injured and one is going up in weight on only a few days notice. 

maybe because Iran is/was loaded at 86kg (where Firouzpour will probably wrestle) , even though letting the kid facing likes of Ghasempour and Yazdani would be a valuable experience for him.

Emami had to face someone for the spot, and Hosseini (Asian Senior Champs Silver medalist) was the only candidate but then Elahi beat Hosseini in the league, so it wasn't a good idea to invite Hosseini and not someone who beat him lol (I'm trying to understand their logic)

Alireza Karimi will not wrestle in the trials. the doctor didn't allow him to wrestle yet!

and some other guys also withdrew (most probably) because of the coronavirusco , Mehdi Mohsennejad (60 GR), Amin Mirzazadeh (130 GR) and Abbas Foroutan (125 FS)

they tested everybody today , let's see who else will fail the test. they will never announce it for the public though.

the trials will start in few minutes, nobody failed the COVID test and they also added Shariatinia to the 97kg list !

and guess what's the opening match ? Atri vs Amouzad !!! Goleij vs Shabani and Zare vs Mohebbi are other important matches of the first round.

there will be live coverage on IRIB3 (and later IRIB Varzesh in the afternoon) and IAWF instagram page too

Edited by wrestfan