wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Atri looked in a terrible shape. I won't be surprised if he loses to Sarlak. Amouzad dominated the match but Atri attacked twice and scored twice. that's experience . and yes I think that call was controversial

Goleij always struggles against Iranian wrestlers, I'm glad Shabani beat him. I hate to see Goleij going to the Worlds/Olympics. Mohammadian didn't impress though

and with Hadi losing like that to Taheri. I think it will be easy for Zare. he beat Mohebbi once again. relatively easy.

and 92kg will be most probably between Ghasempour and Arashk Mohebbi.

11 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Atri looked in a terrible shape. I won't be surprised if he loses to Sarlak. Amouzad dominated the match but Atri attacked twice and scored twice. that's experience . and yes I think that call was controversial

Goleij always struggles against Iranian wrestlers, I'm glad Shabani beat him. I hate to see Goleij going to the Worlds/Olympics. Mohammadian didn't impress though

and with Hadi losing like that to Taheri. I think it will be easy for Zare. he beat Mohebbi once again. relatively easy.

and 92kg will be most probably between Ghasempour and Arashk Mohebbi.

I didn't see the full Atri match, just that sequence at the result. Next rounds will be interesting if he is out of shape.

I thought Mohammadian won comfortably but yes he did as little as possible. 

Did they give Ghasempour the same place Ebrahimi had? Waiting in the final? 

9 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

I didn't see the full Atri match, just that sequence at the result. Next rounds will be interesting if he is out of shape.

I thought Mohammadian won comfortably but yes he did as little as possible. 

Did they give Ghasempour the same place Ebrahimi had? Waiting in the final? 

Amouzad lost by a takedown in last 10 seconds. while he was in control most of the match. they put Atri on shotclock twice. btw I might be wrong, maybe Amouzad made Atri "out of shape" ! we will see that in afternoon session.

Mohammadian teched everybody in Italy against guys much better than Shariati, I know he is not in his best shape but this is not new, he usually struggles against Iranian wrestlers. I somehow consider Shabani slightly the favorite.

no Ghasempour just had a bye in the first round. this is still a double elimination round robin. but I didn't understand why they didn't make 92kg guys to wrestle one more round in the morning ! they have to wrestle 3 or maybe 4 rounds in the afternoon session!

Edited by wrestfan

57 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHM7CSmjz9C/?igshid=1p5rtjqc3lz1g

A lot of controversy on Atri's 4 - 4 win over Amouzad. Maybe they will have them wrestle again? They have that power.

This is a tough call. I would give it 2-2. but I'm not sure at all. what do you think?

and I have to add Amouzad's coach didn't ask for a review. Amouzad begged for it but his coach talked him out of challenging the call.

58 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

This is a tough call. I would give it 2-2. but I'm not sure at all. what do you think?

and I have to add Amouzad's coach didn't ask for a review. Amouzad begged for it but his coach talked him out of challenging the call.

Hard to say, Amouzad initiated the movement and they got up immediately after. It's not like Atri was on top of him after so you could say it's a takedown. Probably 2 - 2 is fair. 

so a bit summary about the results so far

Atri wins 57kg already, Amouzad and Sarlak will wrestle for the 2nd place

surprisingly Ehsanpout lost 2-1 to Dastan, he was really hopeless

Emami will wrestle Hosseini at 70kg final

Yazdani beat Bazri 11-0 for 86kg spot. I have to say Bazri wasn't bad and didn't try to lose by a narrow margin

92kg, 3 wrestlers are unbeaten for the 3rd round. Ghasempour. Mohebbi and Jamalinejad.

97kg, Shabani vs Mohammadian will be the final.

125kg, Zare and Taheri will wrestle in the final. Zare beat both Mohebbi and Hadi. Zare vs Hadi was quite a battle.

ps: almost all of freestyle coaches are Covid positive! including the head coach G. Mohammadi !

Just now, wrestfan said:

wow. who would except Taheri to win the 125kg trials ?!

I won't be surprised if they order re-match here too.

Definitely not me before today, I would have thought Zare would win very easily. But when we saw how they both wrestled Hadi I was more interested. That's a crazy result, though. 

5 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Definitely not me before today, I would have thought Zare would win very easily. But when we saw how they both wrestled Hadi I was more interested. That's a crazy result, though. 

Taheri lost to Foroutan few weeks ago in the league, how come he improved this much ?! they could give the second caution in favor of Zare but I think Taheri was better in general.

as expect they changed the format. 61kg, 97kg and 125kg will be best of 3 !

4 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Taheri lost to Foroutan few weeks ago in the league, how come he improved this much ?! they could give the second caution in favor of Zare but I think Taheri was better in general.

as expect they changed the format. 61kg, 97kg and 125kg will be best of 3 !

Taheri was kind of fortunate that they put Zare on the shot clock twice. But still Zare couldn't score on him. Crazy to think of some of the names Zare has beat yet he loses to Taheri. And yes Foroutan beat him and was clearly better even if the score gap was not too wide in that league match. Probably angry he didn't show up now.

Maybe that American would beat Zare again after all?

Lol 

I also wonder how much impact the corona has on the results of these trials. I think it benefits "weaker" wrestlers more if both guys have not been able to train properly. 

And one word on Shabani, if that guy had better leg attacks or if they can improve him in that area he would be a monster. Right now I see a lot of his leg attacks just turn to pushouts.

3-1 for Zare this time. that was CLOSE. I really think the refs were told to not put Zare on shotclock for the 2nd time in this match. even though he scored a takedown at the end to win by his own merit. there will be in a 3rd match in few minutes

so if there will be a Worlds. Iran team will be something like this, I will post the full results later today

57, Atri
61, Dastan
65, Yazdani jr
70, Emami
74 Hosseinkhani
79 Savadkouhi
86 H. Yazdani
92 Ghasempour
97 Shabani
125 Zare or Taheri

Do you think Amouzad will be a world class competitor at the seniors level in the year or two?

Do you know how much weight Ghasempour loses to make ot 86?  is he more natural at 92?

2 minutes ago, irani said:

Do you think Amouzad will be a world class competitor at the seniors level in the year or two?

Do you know how much weight Ghasempour loses to make ot 86?  is he more natural at 92?

if you ask me

1) yes I think so . I was impressed by him despite his 2 defeats, he is really talented. I won't be surprised if he beats Atri next year. but he really need to be more mature, he is always complaining and talking etc during the match.

2) he doesn't look small against 92kg guys. (at least not much) so I assume he is cutting at least a bit for 86kg.

oh well, that was his ONLY real point in 3 matches (excluding caution points). that was stupid of Zare to go for a takedown in last seconds while he was leading 2-1. I admit Taheri is a tough guy and VERY hard to score on but he is not going to win a medal at the Worlds. (or at least his chance is very low) but at least we found out he is a very bad matchup for Zare.

18 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

oh well, that was his ONLY real point in 3 matches (excluding caution points). that was stupid of Zare to go for a takedown in last seconds while he was leading 2-1. I admit Taheri is a tough guy and VERY hard to score on but he is not going to win a medal at the Worlds. (or at least his chance is very low) but at least we found out he is a very bad matchup for Zare.

Hopefully that fat guy who wrestled for Azerbaijan is not at worlds. But I think he transferred back to Russia. 

so let's take a look at the complete results. first with freestyle

I have to say at 61kg, 97kg and 125kg where the coach's favorite wrestler lost, they ordered a new format, best of 3.

57kg:
R1: Atri 4-4 Amouzad / Sarlak 5-3 Hajaghania
R2: Amouzad walkover Hajaghania / Atri 2-1 Sarlak
R3: Sarlak 10-8 Amouzad / Atri BYE

61kg:
Final: Dastan 2-1 Ehsanpour
they ordered best of 3, but Ehsanpour left the stadium

70kg:
SF: Hosseini 5-1 Elahi
Final: Emami 5-2 Hosseini

86kg:
Final: Yazdani 11-0 Bazri