wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Against good wrestlers (or just physically strong ones) Zare only does pushing. I know he is not Goleij where he only pushes against everyone, he does do some other stuff but it is mostly against weaker opponents. When he wrestles someone good he will have to add more than just pushing. From the way he was progressing and the wins he has as a junior ( Petriashvili, Hadi, Mohebi, Gwizdowski, Makhov and others) it seemed like he could just push his way to gold even in the senior level. Maybe he still can but after yesterday I think he may need to add more. 

I was thinking, Hadi, Mohebbi and Zare they all not technical. they are strong and usually score in different ways comparing to Akgul or Petriashvili. I really think Taheri has absolutely no chance against more technical wrestlers. who can attack the leg and not just try for pushout or tiring him down

and about Ghasempour. he was better than my expectations, don't forget he just decided to wrestle in this weight only few days ago! if they cancel the Worlds he will be the biggest loser, because he lost a chance to prove himself against Yazdani. he really deserves World medals.

3 hours ago, irani said:

Had not seen that.  Thanks for posting.  How the F did Zareh lose to this guy?

Zare can beat Taheri with his usual style of just pushing but the match will probably always be close, because Taheri is a strong guy who doesn't do much so its hard to push him around the mat. Wrestlers who are more technical and take more risks and actually try and get takedowns will do better against him, Foroutan beat him two weeks ago with two takedowns from two leg attacks. And Foroutan is not even very strong in that area so god help Taheri if he has to wrestle Petriashvili or Akgul. 

Basically Zare has the wrong style for Taheri. 

I always thought Worlds 2020 won't happen but now I think that's a huge possibility, right now Serbia is hosting the World Sambo Championships, if they host that, they can host the wrestling Worlds too. and I believe if Serbian government doesn't cancel it, UWW will never do that.

If worlds happens:

57 - No medal

61 - No medal

65 - No medal

70 - Bronze or silver

74 - No medal

79 - Bronze maybe?

86 - Gold

92 - Gold

97 - Should win a medal but if he loses again like last year I think we can conclude his style doesn't work at the world level 

125 - No medal 

Edited by Shiraz123

5 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

If worlds happens:

57 - No medal

61 - No medal

65 - No medal

70 - Bronze or silver

74 - No medal

79 - Bronze maybe?

86 - Gold

92 - Gold

97 - Should win a medal but if he loses again like last year I think we can conclude his style doesn't work at the world level 

125 - No medal 

What would your prediction be if Zare and Mohammadian were going?

1 hour ago, irani said:

What would your prediction be if Zare and Mohammadian were going?

I would have picked Mohammadian to beat everyone aside from Sadulaev and Zare to beat everyone aside from Akgul and Petriashvili but with a decent chance to beat both. That was before I saw how they wrestled at trials, though.

1 minute ago, Shiraz123 said:

I would have picked Mohammadian to beat everyone aside from Sadulaev and Zare to beat everyone aside from Akgul and Petriashvili but with a decent chance to beat both. That was before I saw how they wrestled at trials, though.

That is a very fair assessment

7 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

If worlds happens:

57 - No medal

61 - No medal

65 - No medal

70 - Bronze or silver

74 - No medal

79 - Bronze maybe?

86 - Gold

92 - Gold

125 - No medal 

my prediction is more or less the same. I think Emami has a chance for gold (Chermen didn't convince me despite beating Baev) and I think everybody has a slim chance for a bronze medal at least. the level will be lower this year. specially in non-Olympic weights.

but I think Iran's chance for gold are ONLY in 86, 92 and 70.

Edited by wrestfan

16 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

my prediction is more or less the same. I think Emami has a chance for gold (Chermen didn't convince me despite beating Baev) and I think everybody has a slim chance for a bronze medal at least. the level will be lower this year. specially in non-Olympic weights.

but I think Iran's chance for gold are ONLY in 86, 97 and 70.

I assume you mean 92 at the end

Rahimi's post on the 57kg trials:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHSVqtNhECU/?igshid=1dxlcl1a26qe8

He put the pressure on Atri, lol

Intresting observation on geographic composition of the 2020 Iran wrestling teams

Freestyle -  Mazandaran 6  Tehran 4  Kermanshah and Azerbajan 0 :(

GrecoRoman - Khuzestan 5  Fars 2 Mazandaran 1 Alborz 1 Qom 1  Tehran 0 :)

https://www.khabarvarzeshi.com/news/281038/دوبنده-تیم-ملی-کشتی-آزاد-فقط-بر-تن-مازندران-و-تهران

2 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

World championship is cancelled for world cup. Khadem is wishing he was still head coach now, this was his dream situation. 

this will be an "individual World Cup" Khadem was in love in team events, he even changed the nationals format (and Takhti Cup) to team events ! if it was up to him he would make the Olympics like that !

I think Ghasempour was the biggest loser here, he lost a (almost) sure medal and also he lost a good chance to challenge Yazdani. I wonder if Iran even sends a team to this so called World Cup. or even Russia  sending top guys. now this is just a random international competition.

3 hours ago, irani said:

Unfortunately, Mohammad Bana also has Covid-19 and is hospitalized

It seems that this national training camp ending up being a super spreader event.  I hate to say this, but the best thing may be to shut everything down until a vaccine comes out

the world won't wait for the Iranian wrestlers, we will have the Olympics for sure next year and in this level not training for months will ruin everything. actually they were much safer inside the camp, (of course with more accurate tests before the camp) and they shut down the camp few days ago, maybe Bana got infected somewhere else. the freestyle coaches (Mohammadi, Taghavi and Hajkenari) got it somewhere else. (as they claim)

Bana posted a video in social media, saying his situation is not that bad and he is getting better. hopefully he will recover soon.

btw if you don't have relatives in Iran (I assume you do though),  the situation is getting worse and worse in Iran regarding the pandemic. specially in Tehran. the government is too weak to order a lockdown and from what I heard people simply don't listen to the advises. officially we have something like 450 deaths per day but even health ministry officials admit the real number is 2 or 3 times bigger ! (they can't test everybody and some tests are not accurate) so you can imagine something like 1000-1200 deaths per day. A massacre

everybody is in danger, with or without the camp. I really think we shouldn't be worried much about young healthy athletes.  but coaches like Bana should be more careful. if it was up to me. I would invite 20-30 wrestlers, test them 2-3 times (not just once) and then quarantine everybody inside the camp forever. that's the only way if you want to get good results in Tokyo and also stay healthy. because as we all know Iran will be the last country to receive the vaccine.