wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

6 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Is the 2012 and 2016 Iran greco Olympic team the only time in history a country sent the exact same team ( i know some guys moved weights) to two olympics? It must be in at least past 20 or 30 years, right? 

That is an amazing piece of trivia.  I would be very surprised if that has happened before.  I think Bana's loyalty to his guys is a big factor

16 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Is the 2012 and 2016 Iran greco Olympic team the only time in history a country sent the exact same team ( i know some guys moved weights) to two olympics? It must be in at least past 20 or 30 years, right? 

thanks, interestingly I didn't notice that before. Wrestling had 7 weights in 2012 (Iran failed to qualify at 74kg) and then UWW changed them all and made it 6 for Rio. still Bana found a way to fit his 6 favorite wrestlers into this new Olympic weights !

I respect Bana and consider him the best but he made two big mistakes there, Babajanzadeh and Akhlaghi shouldn't go to Rio. specially Bashir BBJZ. that was Ghasemi-Monjazi's right.

Bana "made" all of those guys. they were his sons. he worked something like 10 years with those guys to create that 2012 team. I think the new generation in Greco is also good. maybe even better than that generation if we compare them at the age of 20. if (which is a big if) stays for 4 more years we will see the results in Paris 2024.

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

Iran will send 4 wrestlers to the Individual World Cup

Hassan Yazdani (86) and Kamran Ghasempour (92) in freestyle and Hossein Nouri (87) and Hadi Saravi (97) in greco

Do you think this was a financial choice? They may not get another chance to wrestle outside of Asia until the Olympics. Seemed like a good chance to get some experience. 

1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

Do you think this was a financial choice? They may not get another chance to wrestle outside of Asia until the Olympics. Seemed like a good chance to get some experience. 

Definitely that played a role but I assume they considered other factors as well. preparing a big team of 20 wrestlers is a bit harder considering the COVID situation.

in Greco this is obviously the preparation tournament before the Olympic Qualifiers. while in freestyle they just want to win 2 gold medals !

we had the second half of the freestyle league in Group A (most top wrestlers are in Group B)

one of the weaker teams hired two Georgian wrestlers,  Beka Lomtadaze and Irakli Mtsituri, both of them world medalists and both of them lost to average wrestlers here, obviously out of shape. Lomtadaze first beat Mehdi Shirazi 3-3 and then lost 19-12 to an unknown guy Kian Mahmoudjanloo ! Mtsituiri (world bronze 92kg) came to 97kg and lost to Hossein Shahbazi 2-1 and Masoud Madadi 6-5!

in other "interesting matches, Rahman Amouzad collected two wins including 11-2 over Erfan Jafarian.

This was supposed to be something interesting but the other team decided to not use its best wrestlers and save them for tomorrow! Iran-Mall team won 10-0, Atri, Ehsanpour, Hosseinkhani, Goleij and Zare had easy or walkover wins, Hassan Yazdani also beat his opponent Alireza Karimi (not the famous Karimi) 10-0 in 2 minutes

https://www.telewebion.com/episode/2446224

tomorrow matches won't change much, both of these teams will advance from this group. we will have the final four next week. the club who has Amir Mohammad Yazdani also doesn't like the idea of sending him to Serbia. they are trying to revert that decision!

Edited by wrestfan

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

This was supposed to be something interesting but the other team decided to not use its best wrestlers and save them for tomorrow! Iran-Mall team won 10-0, Atri, Ehsanpour, Hosseinkhani, Goleij and Zare had easy or walkover wins, Hassan Yazdani also beat his opponent Alireza Karimi (not the famous Karimi) 10-0 in 2 minutes

https://www.telewebion.com/episode/2446224

tomorrow matches won't change much, both of these teams will advance from this group. we will have the final four next week. the club who has Amir Mohammad Yazdani also doesn't like the idea of sending him to Serbia. they are trying to revert that decision!

What do you think of that Firouzpour guy at 86 if you saw him? Also seems Mozaffari returned.

28 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

What do you think of that Firouzpour guy at 86 if you saw him? Also seems Mozaffari returned.

I saw him in the other group dominating his matches but didn't face a quality guy, that was hard to judge. Mojerloo used to be relatively good but he was completely out of shape.

his team finished 2nd in Group A, so if they use him he will wrestle Yazdani (or Ghasempour) next week, that will be interesting.

Amin Taheri is in that club too, if he recovers in time (he is Covid positive) his rematch with Zare is something I don't want to miss

another 10-0 win for the Iran-Mall club.  the only "notable" wrestler in the other team was Bagher Yakhkeshi who lost 5-4 to Maghsoudi at 65kg. not a bad start for Yakhkeshi in the new weight. easy wins for Yazdani and Zare but Ghasempour really had hard time against his young opponent. (he sometimes struggles in league matches, not the first time) Hosseinkhani as usual makes things complicated for himself .

https://www.telewebion.com/episode/2446506

there is also a short interview with Yazdani after the dual. the guy asked him if he is going to move up weight after the Olympics ! he answers that he has no plan because his normal bodyweight is 88-89kg now, but if his body gains weight he has no problem to move up.

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

struggles in league matches, not the first time) Hosseinkhani as usual makes things complicated for himself .

https://www.telewebion.com/episode/2446506

there is also a short interview with Yazdani after the dual. the guy asked him if he is going to move up weight after the Olympics ! he answers that he has

I don't think he will go up anymore or grow unless he wants to gain weight on purpose to go up. He will be 26 in a few weeks, he can probably stay at 86 for the rest of his career. Didn't he say he would only go until 2024 anyway? 

Anyway he seems improved to me for  a while now, probably since 2019 worlds. Hopefully they don't make the same mistake before 2018 worlds and just keep him in Asia or Iran. 

And the guy Ghasempour wrestled looked huge compared to him.

33 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

I don't think he will go up anymore or grow unless he wants to gain weight on purpose to go up. He will be 26 in a few weeks, he can probably stay at 86 for the rest of his career. Didn't he say he would only go until 2024 anyway? 

Anyway he seems improved to me for  a while now, probably since 2019 worlds. Hopefully they don't make the same mistake before 2018 worlds and just keep him in Asia or Iran. 

And the guy Ghasempour wrestled looked huge compared to him.

you can watch his interview right after the dual (before the start of the next dual) . the guy was kind of dumb (asking Yazdani about Ghasempour) but at least he asked a good question about Yazdani's bodyweight.

in short he said he has no plan to change weight in future. but if he gains weight he has no problem to go up. that's up to his body!
I think he is going to stay at 86kg, at least for some years

56 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

you can watch his interview right after the dual (before the start of the next dual) . the guy was kind of dumb (asking Yazdani about Ghasempour) but at least he asked a good question about Yazdani's bodyweight.

in short he said he has no plan to change weight in future. but if he gains weight he has no problem to go up. that's up to his body!
I think he is going to stay at 86kg, at least for some years

Can Shabani and Mohammadian wrestle or are on the same team?

1 minute ago, Shiraz123 said:

Can Shabani and Mohammadian wrestle or are on the same team?

Shabani is in Ghaemshahr team and Mohammadian is in Iran-Mall

they were supposed to wrestle yesterday but Shabani's club decided to use reserve wrestlers for that dual saving them for today. but they lost that dual which was important for them. 5-5 because one of their guys got injured. they beat that other team (Setaregan Sari) in the previous round. both teams will be tied on the number of wins (5 W and 3 L) , but Ghaemshahr advances since they won the first leg match 6-4.

the semifinals next week will be Iran-Mall vs Azad University and Esteghlal vs Ghaemshahr.

Iran-mall will win for sure lol but the other semifinal will be close. it's possible to see them wrestle in the final dual. if you remember Mohammadian once beat Shabani 3-3 in the first leg.

Greco final four will be on Tuesday and Freestyle finals will be held on Thursday next week.

42 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Shabani is in Ghaemshahr team and Mohammadian is in Iran-Mall

they were supposed to wrestle yesterday but Shabani's club decided to use reserve wrestlers for that dual saving them for today. but they lost that dual which was important for them. 5-5 because one of their guys got injured. they beat that other team (Setaregan Sari) in the previous round. both teams will be tied on the number of wins (5 W and 3 L) , but Ghaemshahr advances since they won the first leg match 6-4.

the semifinals next week will be Iran-Mall vs Azad University and Esteghlal vs Ghaemshahr.

Iran-mall will win for sure lol but the other semifinal will be close. it's possible to see them wrestle in the final dual. if you remember Mohammadian once beat Shabani 3-3 in the first leg.

Greco final four will be on Tuesday and Freestyle finals will be held on Thursday next week.

He looked good today anyway. I think he is definitely the better international option. Hopefully he can improve his form and beat Shabani next time. 

3 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Oh man I just gave the GR another chance, but from what i'm seeing the officials decide a lot of the outcome. How come they gave 2 points to Savari's opponent? 

that's magic! most of UWW refs are magician. sometimes they found points from nowhere like David Copperfield!

you should watch ARM-SRB bronze medal match at 77kg and how someone can attack all the time, still gets penalized several times for passivity. magic as I said.

15 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

and another news, Amir Mohammad Yazdani is COVID positive, they are not going to send him to Belgrade. it will be only Amouzad at 57kg.

Amouzad will probably return with Covid.  I know this is an unpopular opinion, but we should just shut down all wrestling till May or June, when most people have been vaccinated

What's the big difference between this and a world championships? Just that America and Japan are not there (and some other countries)? A lot of the weights are still very strong, and when they said individual world cup I expected a different format, this is a basic bracket like any tournament.