wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

1 hour ago, Graverobber said:

Are the matches of Zare and Taheri on YouTube? My coach always speaks very high of Zare, but I just saw a few matches of him, him vs bilal makhov from Russia for example

The matches were not good to watch at all but here is one of them I found on Youtube. 

On 1/30/2021 at 2:20 AM, wrestfan said:

125, there are 4 favorites actually, or maybe 5. Zare, Taheri, Hadi, Mohebbi and Foroutan. Hadi is aging and Mohebbi apparently didn't impress the coaches recently. Foroutan is new to the weight and Taheri has a poor international record, so yes I think Zare is the main favorite but he lost to Taheri in 2020 World Team Trials. Taheri has no chance to medal at the Olympics but he still can beat anybody in Iran to make the team which is terrible! Zare had hard time to score on him and Taheri won 2 of their 3 matches during the trials. (and was supposed to wrestle at the 2020 Worlds)

Well, it wasn’t the most exiting one :) but it’s still interesting from a fan perspective, how some country’s like USA, Iran or Russia decide, and how it plays out, who is going to wrestle at the Olympics, so it was still a good match to watch 

Younes Emami beat Jamal Ebadi 6-3 to make the team at 74kg. which team ? we still don't know lol

he and Mostafa Hosseinkhani will wrestle in Kazakhstan, one for the Asian Championship and the other one for the Olympic Qualifier. I think they will trust Hosseinkhani for the OQT.

The trial for the chance to train alongside the great Hosseinkhani. I think Emami has potential, I would prefer to see him over Hosseinkhani if we get to the Olympics. I think 74 is weak in Asia anyway, unless I am forgetting someone. The Kazakh who won the Asian championships already qualified. 

1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

The trial for the chance to train alongside the great Hosseinkhani. I think Emami has potential, I would prefer to see him over Hosseinkhani if we get to the Olympics. I think 74 is weak in Asia anyway, unless I am forgetting someone. The Kazakh who won the Asian championships already qualified. 

Bekzod Abdurakhmanov is still there. India sometimes sends tough wrestlers, Hosseinkhani lost to some random Indian kid at the Asian Championship last year. even though apparently he was sick at the time.

23 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Bekzod Abdurakhmanov is still there. India sometimes sends tough wrestlers, Hosseinkhani lost to some random Indian kid at the Asian Championship last year. even though apparently he was sick at the time.

Oh yeah I forgot about that guy, he will probably be the main obstacle. 

On 2/15/2021 at 11:49 AM, wrestfan said:

India always seems to have someone I’ve never heard of beat solid guys

On 2/15/2021 at 8:49 AM, wrestfan said:

India has few good at 74kg - Narsingh Yadav (74kg world bronze 2015), Sushil Kumar (66kg Olympic silver, Olympic Bronze), there is a new guy who won Indian Nationals a few weeks ago.

Sushil is definitely old, but he is still training and in shape.

interestingly Narsingh Yadav was banned prior to 2016 Olympics and he voiced that supporters of Sushil were involved and his food/drinks was tampered by them. His 4 year ban lifted off last year and now he is in the mix again.

2 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

If we don't qualify those 2 weights in Asia then it's almost certainly over. There is a strong chance we could have a 4 man Olympic team for freestyle. 

I agree the chance will be slim at the last chance qualifier (not zero but yes very little)

but I believe Iran has more than 50% chance in both weights, so I think having 5 wrestlers is more likely.

most top guys are already qualified at 65kg, the main problem is Bekbulatov but then watching his match vs Hossein in Asian Champs last year, he is not unbeatable specially after cutting weight. Bahrain also has a below average Russian wrestler, China and Korea are also not that bad. but I think whoever we send will beat the rest of these guys.

Kazakhstan and Japan are qualified at 74kg, Aburakhmanov and whoever India sends will be the biggest obstacles. Kyrgyzstan or maybe even Korea are not that bad too. still I only see Abdurakhmanov as the biggest threat . he beat Hosseinkhani 2 or 3 times before. (I think Hosseinkhani beat him only once)

I think only guy can create problem at 97kg, that Ibragimov guy but he is getting old. so I think Shaabani or Mohammadian can handle him "maybe" easily. it will be a huge surprise if we don't qualify this weight.

PS: considering the pandemic, it's possible to have less than 8 wrestlers in some weights , in that case we will have group stage and then the knockout round. in this case top 2 wrestlers won't meet each other before the final if they beat the rest. but in a normal bracket there is always 50% chance to face the best guy before the final.

and it's always possible for these countries to use a very good Russian wrestler right before the Olympics. interestingly Kazakhstan is already qualified in all 3 weights, at least our freestyle team shouldn't be worried about the usual officiating issues in Kazakhstan. (sometimes they support the Uzbeks too though)

1 hour ago, freestyle_fan said:

India has few good at 74kg - Narsingh Yadav (74kg world bronze 2015), Sushil Kumar (66kg Olympic silver, Olympic Bronze), there is a new guy who won Indian Nationals a few weeks ago.

Sushil is definitely old, but he is still training and in shape.

interestingly Narsingh Yadav was banned prior to 2016 Olympics and he voiced that supporters of Sushil were involved and his food/drinks was tampered by them. His 4 year ban lifted off last year and now he is in the mix again.

thanks for the info, so we still don't know who is going to Kazakhstan for the OQT ?

personally I'm less worried about Narsingh and Sushil. they are old and they won't surprise anybody, as another user said Indian new wrestlers are usually more dangerous.

6 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/matteo-pellicone-entries-0

Pelicone entries. Iranian coaches will be very angry about the Tahei arm injury, they had the chance to have Taheri get destroyed by Akgul and then say Zare beat Petriashvili who beat Akgul who would have destroyed Taheri so Zare has to go to the Olympics. 

that's the first thing came to my mind when I saw Akgul in the start list.

and I wonder if Taheri's injury is "real"

At 86kg I just saw probably the dumbest loss of an Iranian wrestler of all time and it made me physically sick. He should have teched that guy. Can no longer follow the Ukraine tournament after seeing that. I will resume watching when the Italy tournament starts. Completely disgusted by what I just saw.

Edited by Shiraz123

10 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

At 86kg I just saw probably the dumbest loss of an Iranian wrestler of all time and it made me physically sick. He should have teched that guy. Can no longer follow the Ukraine tournament after seeing that. I will resume watching when the Italy tournament starts. Completely disgusted by what I just saw.

I missed the early part of the competition, I don't know how he lost this one but considering his age and experience that's not something unusual. the Turkish guy wasn't that bad after all

his brother made it to the final at 74kg, not a bad result. the FS team here is quite young, I think they did OK in the first day.

in Greco only Abbaspour advanced to the final, Bali and Mokhtari will wrestle for the bronze medal tomorrow

43 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

I missed the early part of the competition, I don't know how he lost this one but considering his age and experience that's not something unusual. the Turkish guy wasn't that bad after all

his brother made it to the final at 74kg, not a bad result. the FS team here is quite young, I think they did OK in the first day.

in Greco only Abbaspour advanced to the final, Bali and Mokhtari will wrestle for the bronze medal tomorrow

This is his match.  I think the 86kg brother is better even though he lost his only match.  The 74 seems to basically just push from what I saw. And yes I forgot the Turk is not bad, he was the one who had a hard match with injured Ghasempour, but I believe Ghasempour beat him easily in Takhti before that. Still I think Firouzpour was much better, he could have made the finals easily. I would be interested to see him in junior worlds in a few months and I assume that is what will happen. 

27 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

This is his match.  I think the 86kg brother is better even though he lost his only match.  The 74 seems to basically just push from what I saw. And yes I forgot the Turk is not bad, he was the one who had a hard match with injured Ghasempour, but I believe Ghasempour beat him easily in Takhti before that. Still I think Firouzpour was much better, he could have made the finals easily. I would be interested to see him in junior worlds in a few months and I assume that is what will happen. 

Thanks a lot, that was impossible to find

that was a very weird way to give up points. as you said he could and should tech the guy. but that's OK, it's better to make these mistakes here and learn from them

btw I closed the stream when Bali lost his SF but I just saw that Artur Aleksanyen had lost to a Kyrgyz guy. wow.

10 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Thanks a lot, that was impossible to find

that was a very weird way to give up points. as you said he could and should tech the guy. but that's OK, it's better to make these mistakes here and learn from them

btw I closed the stream when Bali lost his SF but I just saw that Artur Aleksanyen had lost to a Kyrgyz guy. wow.

Are gerai and kaviani wrestling each other today?

Edited by Shiraz123