wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

@Shiraz123 you got what you asked for, Geraei and Kavianinejad will wrestle in the 77kg final tomorrow. based on what I saw today, Geraei will be the clear favorite.

Firouzpour also won gold at 74kg, which will be Iran's only freestyle medal here. the other guys didn't even make it to the medal round. that was a good result for him, beating Demirtas.

in Greco, Iran finished the first medal day with 1 silver (Abbaspour) and 2 bronze (Mokhtari and Bali), beside two Iranians in 77kg final, Alireza Nejati will wrestle for the gold too. Ramin Taheri and Amin Mirzazadeh lost in SF and will wrestle for the bronze.

8 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

@Shiraz123 you got what you asked for, Geraei and Kavianinejad will wrestle in the 77kg final tomorrow. based on what I saw today, Geraei will be the clear favorite.

Firouzpour also won gold at 74kg, which will be Iran's only freestyle medal here. the other guys didn't even make it to the medal round. that was a good result for him, beating Demirtas.

in Greco, Iran finished the first medal day with 1 silver (Abbaspour) and 2 bronze (Mokhtari and Bali), beside two Iranians in 77kg final, Alireza Nejati will wrestle for the gold too. Ramin Taheri and Amin Mirzazadeh lost in SF and will wrestle for the bronze.

When they had that 4 person trial at 74kg which Hosseinkhani won do you remember who Firouzpour beat and lost to? Or did he lose to everyone?

2 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

When they had that 4 person trial at 74kg which Hosseinkhani won do you remember who Firouzpour beat and lost to? Or did he lose to everyone?

he lost to Nokhodi (5-2) and Hosseinkhani (4-0) and got eliminated after round 2

13 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Is Abdevali going to try and make the team or was that basically the Olympic trial?

the last time I heard from him, he claimed he is cutting weight slowly, preparing himself for the 77kg. he is not the in the national camp though, but he says that's OK, he talked to Bana and Bana will give him a chance if he is in a good shape.

we will see but I think it's highly possible to see Geraei in the Olympics without having to wrestle anymore for the spot.

and I think Nejati at 60kg also almost secured his Olympic spot by winning the gold in Ukraine.

Edited by wrestfan

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

the last time I heard from him, he claimed he is cutting weight slowly, preparing himself for the 77kg. he is not the in the national camp though, but he says that's OK, he talked to Bana and Bana will give him a chance if he is in a good shape.

we will see but I think it's highly possible to see Geraei in the Olympics without having to wrestle anymore for the spot.

and I think Nejati at 61kg also almost secured his Olympic spot by winning the gold in Ukraine.

What are our chances to get a gold in greco? And which weight do we need to qualify? 

1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

What are our chances to get a gold in greco? And which weight do we need to qualify? 

I believe only Geraei and Nejati have a chance to win the gold. but they are not the main favorite, only one of the favorites. among top 4-5. it's more possible if Iran finishes the Greco competition without a gold medal. the last time Iran won a gold medal in Greco (Worlds or Olympics) was Sourian in 2014 ! and since 2015  it was just bronze . 2 or 3 each year.

Iran won 3 quotas (60,77 and 130) in Kazakhstan and have to qualify 3 more, 67, 87 and 97. Bana is confident about 87 and 97. but it will be hard to qualify in 67. there are some world medalists in Asia not qualified yet. I think they will send Geraei junior, Nouri and Saravi to the Asian QT.

So this is my take from the Ukraine tournament

In general

• Pretty good results from the GR side
  • Other than one, pretty disappointing results from the FS side

Perhaps most important

• For the first time in a long time, we had multiple Junior wrestlers make a successful first transition to the senior level
  • Assuming this is not a fluke, this is encouraging
  • We now have two promising young junior wrestlers in FS, and two in GR

5 hours ago, irani said:

• We now have two promising young junior wrestlers in FS, and two in GR

Amouzad and little Firouzpour for FS, Nejati and who for GR (Kaviani and Mokhtari both did quite well)? 

Big Firouzpour will have a better career than little Firouzpour , I promise that lol. Come back to it in a year or two. This year they both need to go back to juniors anyway because they can't be on the Olympic team. I know "little" Firouzpour is actually the older one so that's assuming he is still junior.  Is Nejati still a junior? 

4 minutes ago, The Genius said:

I think Nejati must be 21-22 now, so no longer a junior. 

What happened to Nasserpour and Saravi - neither were at Ukraine, are they in Rome?

No greco team in Rome. Italy is weak in greco so they didn't send a team according to Bana, lol. 

13 minutes ago, The Genius said:

I think Nejati must be 21-22 now, so no longer a junior. 

What happened to Nasserpour and Saravi - neither were at Ukraine, are they in Rome?

Saravi is preparing for the Asian OQT. Bana didn't send his AOQT team to Ukraine.  (Geraei jr, Nouri and Saravi)

Nasserpour recently moved up to 60kg and lost a close match to Nejati at the 2020 World Team Trials. he is in the national camp, maybe just not ready for this tournament.

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

Amouzad and little Firouzpour for FS, Nejati and who for GR (Kaviani and Mokhtari both did quite well)? 

I was referring to Sajad Abaspour in 55kg GR as the other Jr wrestler who performed really well in his first seniors tournament 

15 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

No greco team in Rome. Italy is weak in greco so they didn't send a team according to Bana, lol. 

he said even if other countries don't show up at least we will have good competition with Ukrainian wrestlers. and apparently he was right, we had something like 10 wrestlers in each weight in Italy. even Kuwait ended up winning a bronze medal in Greco !

brackets are up in freestyle, only 8 wrestlers in both 65 and 97kg. Karimi is the only world medalists at 97, anything else than gold will be a  huge disappointment for him.

Ehsanpour has Bajrang and 1 or 2 decent wrestlers at 65.

2 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

It would be really great if Ehsanpour beats Bajrang. He probably won't but still. Tired of hearing about Bajrang all the time lol. 

did Iranians ever beat him ? I only remember Esmaeilpour but that was long long time ago

Ehsanpour has to wrestle Mongolia in the SF, that guy lost only 8-7 to Bajrang last year in the worlds for the bronze medal. not an easy opponent but if Ehsanpour really wants to do something in this weight he has to beat these kind of guys.

1 minute ago, wrestfan said:

did Iranians ever beat him ? I only remember Esmaeilpour but that was long long time ago

Ehsanpour has to wrestle Mongolia in the SF, that guy lost only 8-7 to Bajrang last year in the worlds for the bronze medal. not an easy opponent but if Ehsanpour really wants to do something in this weight he has to beat these kind of guys.

Yeah they still go on about Esmailpour beating him on instagram, lol. That was Esmailpour at his peak while Bajrang was still very young, I will give him that even though I think he is overrated. Nasiri beat him at least once, maybe more. 

5 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Yeah they still go on about Esmailpour beating him on instagram, lol. That was Esmailpour at his peak while Bajrang was still very young, I will give him that even though I think he is overrated. Nasiri beat him at least once, maybe more. 

I think he is just a very bad matchup for the Iranian style of wrestling. he is not unbeatable. he loses here and there. but Iranian wrestlers simply can't make him tired and instead he makes them tired ! and beside that Iran didn't have a reliable wrestler in this weight to challenge him for a while. we will see if Ehsanpour can make it to the final to face him.

Considering the controversy about the upcoming trials and the coaches not making it clear how many times the wrestlers will have to wrestle each other why didn't the coaches just say that if Hassan wins the first match he will not need to wrestle Ghasempour again because he is the returning world champ and we are giving him that advantage. Who could have a problem with that?

Even the American system which is a good example for our system gives an advantage to a returning world medalist (gets to wait in the trial finals and only wrestle one guy). Iranian coaches try to hide everything too much when everyone knows what they want to do (if Hassan wins they want to end the trial after the first match, if Ghasempour wins they need to wrestle again) and it ends up causing trouble that could be avoided with honesty. 

Edited by Shiraz123

I see that Ali Reza Karimi is in the finals

He will wrestle Kollin Moore of the US tomorrow.

If Karimi ends up being Iran's rep at 97 in the olympics, I hope Cox is not the US representative

28 minutes ago, irani said:

I see that Ali Reza Karimi is in the finals

He will wrestle Kollin Moore of the US tomorrow.

If Karimi ends up being Iran's rep at 97 in the olympics, I hope Cox is not the US representative

He's wrestling him today, not sure why they don't use the two day format for the ranking tournament. They should wrestle within the next hour or so. 

just read an interview with Askari Mohammadian who is the head of Mazandaran wrestling organization, he said his son will wrestle at the Asian OQT and Shaabani will wrestle at the Asian Championship few days later.

if that's true (most probably) I think now we know who is the coach's favorite for the Olympic spot. still it won't be like 86kg where someone has a clear advantage.

btw I agree with Shiraz123, this is weird that they support someone but they don't dare to make it public. Yazdani deserves some kind of advantage, they don't need to create phantom rules to give him anything extra

19 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

just read an interview with Askari Mohammadian who is the head of Mazandaran wrestling organization, he said his son will wrestle at the Asian OQT and Shaabani will wrestle at the Asian Championship few days later.

if that's true (most probably) I think now we know who is the coach's favorite for the Olympic spot. still it won't be like 86kg where someone has a clear advantage.

btw I agree with Shiraz123, this is weird that they support someone but they don't dare to make it public. Yazdani deserves some kind of advantage, they don't need to create phantom rules to give him anything extra

That Italy tournament and the Snyder win in particular seems to have gave Mohammadian a huge edge over the other 97kgs in terms of how the coaches see him, even if it is over a year since now.