wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Yarahmadi apparently injured his knee, so I doubt he medals now anyway since even healthy it would be hard for him. Looking at 70kg it's a lot stronger than the past years, so Hosseinkhani's chances are lower than I thought. 

Unfortunately this was a very very very very bad year for team Iran. Without Rahimi 57kg, Reza Yazdani 98kg, and Komeil Ghasemi 125kg, this team was very weak. If Hassan Yazdani stayed at 74kg and had Ali Reza Karimi at 86kg. It would make a stronger team. It was sad that they won the World Cup this year. Had high expectations. Lost 3 key wrestlers and lost the chances. I hope for a huge recovery next October for this years awful and disastrous results. Have to wait 14 months but hopefully they will reclaim the 3 and be a favorite.

Rahimi, Yazdani, and Ghasemi are ancient.

I really enjoyed the Iran FS Wrestling era. 

Though I like the 74KG junior who took home bronze.  Talented, athletic kid and looked about 14 years old. 

Edited by LemonPie

You really need to forget about Reza Yazdani. He is too old and his body is destroyed. Even if he comes back he will do one or two tournaments and get injured again. Did you see him at the Olympics? He was literally limping on his way to the mat. They need to develop a 97kg wrestler just like they need to develop a new 57. 

My question is how can they have so many junior world champions at 84kg/96kg over the past few years but not develop one decent 97kg senior. To the point where they have to send someone like Mohammadi. I'm not saying these guys who have had junior world success need to be competitive with Snyder/Sadulaev but they should be at least medal threats. 

Edited by Shiraz123

The team was bad but I was more annoyed after Vegas and Tashkent worlds. This I don't mind too much. I would rather 1 gold and everyone else DNP than what Iran used to get which was a few silver and bronze medals and second place team ranking behind Russia. That was more frustrating than this. 

Edited by Shiraz123

The team was bad but I was more annoyed after Vegas and Tashkent worlds. This I don't mind too much. I would rather 1 gold and everyone else DNP than what Iran used to get which was a few silver and bronze medals and second place team ranking behind Russia. That was more frustrating than this. 

1 gold and everyone else DNP is what USA would do for a while.  Has anything changed in terms of athlete development in Iran recently?  Do you think it's just cyclical, and soon there will be another good group?

1 gold and everyone else DNP is what USA would do for a while.  Has anything changed in terms of athlete development in Iran recently?  Do you think it's just cyclical, and soon there will be another good group?

These guys wrestled up to their level for the most part. I would not make too much of it. Some will make excuses about inexperience but it's all misleading. Hosseinkhani is around forever and lost to a 19 year old. Atri lost to a guy who's the exact same age as him. The Japanese wrestler who won 57 is the same age as him and Gilman also. I could go on with the other weights but you get the point. This is the ability level of this group of wrestlers, so you cant say anything bad about it. If Yazdani went and lost to one of his opponents then you could make some complaint. I did say on this thread this could be the worst Iran team in a while. 

not agree with you in this, I prefer a good team without a gold medal over a terrible team with one great athlete. if you look at the Greco team, they didn't win a gold but almost all of them were competitive .

Obviously there is something wrong, Iran was terrible also at the World Juniors Champs. looks like the Khadem style doesn't work anymore specially because he is not near the mat to motivate / push wrestlers. and again if you compare that to Greco, Iran won the team title with 3 gold medals in Finland.

Iranians lost 8 matches here and if you watch them, they were all winnable. they didn't lost to likes of Burroughs , Snyder or Sadulaev, when you can't win matches like this you better stay at home. I believe 57kg and 65kg fields were weak here, Rahimi and A. Mohammadi (if in shape) could win the gold almost easily. but you can't count on the same names forever. that was about time.

and I'm telling you some of these guys will never see the national team . I'm reading the interviews. comments etc. and the media/ wrestling experts are criticizing them brutally.. I never saw such thing, people usually respect their hard work even if they lose but not this time, I'm talking about Ehsanpour, Yarahmadi, Mohammadi, Nassiri and even Atri. . beside Yazdani , the only one who was OK was Mohebbi who beat two former world/olympcs medalists before losing narrowly in the QF. . Hosseinkhani also almost survived because of his 2016 medal. people mostly blame coaches for not telling him to do the right thing in last few seconds of Japan match.

I write here some of the words Iranian media used to describe these wrestlers. expert in losing (Nasiri ) , Powerless and empty (Ehsanpour) poor and lifeless tourist (Yarahmadi) A simple joke (Mohammadi)

not agree with you in this, I prefer a good team without a gold medal over a terrible team with one great athlete. if you look at the Greco team, they didn't win a gold but almost all of them were competitive .

Obviously there is something wrong, Iran was terrible also at the World Juniors Champs. looks like the Khadem style doesn't work anymore specially because he is not near the mat to motivate / push wrestlers. and again if you compare that to Greco, Iran won the team title with 3 gold medals in Finland.

Iranians lost 8 matches here and if you watch them, they were all winnable. they didn't lost to likes of Burroughs , Snyder or Sadulaev, when you can't win matches like this you better stay at home. I believe 57kg and 65kg fields were weak here, Rahimi and A. Mohammadi (if in shape) could win the gold almost easily. but you can't count on the same names forever. that was about time.

and I'm telling you some of these guys will never see the national team . I'm reading the interviews. comments etc. and the media/ wrestling experts are criticizing them brutally.. I never saw such thing, people usually respect their hard work even if they lose but not this time, I'm talking about Ehsanpour, Yarahmadi, Mohammadi, Nassiri and even Atri. . beside Yazdani , the only one who was OK was Mohebbi who beat two former world/olympcs medalists before losing narrowly in the QF. . Hosseinkhani also almost survived because of his 2016 medal. people mostly blame coaches for not telling him to do the right thing in last few seconds of Japan match.

I write here some of the words Iranian media used to describe these wrestlers. expert in losing (Nasiri ) , Powerless and empty (Ehsanpour) poor and lifeless tourist (Yarahmadi) A simple joke (Mohammadi)

What were the comments about the failure to qualify for the world cup?  That seems to be an event that Iran (and their awesome fans) love to compete in and win.  

What were the comments about the failure to qualify for the world cup?  That seems to be an event that Iran (and their awesome fans) love to compete in and win.  

the "rules" for the world cup are the top 8 teams from the most recent world championship are invited to compete. Iran finished 9th. 7th and 8th were Cuba and Kazakhstan so I'd guess there is a high probability Iran goes instead of one of those teams for some reason or another. I doubt it would cost much to have Cuba "decline" their invitation. 

I hope it's true that these guys don't see the national team again. Atri loses to a 19 year old from Ukraine in the repechage, his results before this have been poor also. Nasiri gets taken down with the same takedown 3 times in about 90 seconds. Mohammadi at 97 barely even knows how to wrestle. I do not put Ehsanpour at the same level as those 3 losers but he is messing up for 3 years in a row now. Bonne is an old man, he is like 33-34 and he beats Ehsanpour comfortably. Hosseinkhani is nothing special, I thought maybe he could sneak a medal but he lost to a junior from Japan. Imagine if he made the finals how Chamizo would have embarrassed him. Mohebi was not bad but he has no leg attacks, he will never go anywhere with his style of wrestling. Yarahmadi very poor. 

Do you think they will change the coaches? Speaking of the Hosseinkhani his coach in the Japan match was Lashgari. How is Lashgari, who I believe has no coaching experience at all, instantly coming in and coaching the senior world team? 

The only positive is they miss world cup. I was getting tired of them celebrating winning the worthless world cup every time. Hopefully Cuba or some other country doesn't drop out of world cup so Iran misses it. 

Edited by Shiraz123

I hope it's true that these guys don't see the national team again. Atri loses to a 19 year old from Ukraine in the repechage, his results before this have been poor also. Nasiri gets taken down with the same takedown 3 times in about 90 seconds. Mohammadi at 97 barely even knows how to wrestle. I do not put Ehsanpour at the same level as those 3 losers but he is messing up for 3 years in a row now. Bonne is an old man, he is like 33-34 and he beats Ehsanpour comfortably. Hosseinkhani is nothing special, I thought maybe he could sneak a medal but he lost to a junior from Japan. Imagine if he made the finals how Chamizo would have embarrassed him. Mohebi was not bad but he has no leg attacks, he will never go anywhere with his style of wrestling. Yarahmadi very poor. 

Do you think they will change the coaches? Speaking of the Hosseinkhani his coach in the Japan match was Lashgari. How is Lashgari, who I believe has no coaching experience at all, instantly coming in and coaching the senior world team? 

The only positive is they miss world cup. I was getting tired of them celebrating winning the worthless world cup every time. Hopefully Cuba or some other country doesn't drop out of world cup so Iran misses it. 

Yeah I'm with you in this, I believe taking World Cup serious hurt Iran's chances in world championships in past few years. I know Khadem himself enjoys the duals and that's why Iran took World Cup seriously in past few years. I still think Iran (even this team Iran) can compete with any team in the world in dual format but that's a different story, there is 2kg allowance. and in individual compettions you have to handle the pressure yourself.

Good question, they said they will decide about the coaching staff very soon .I believe there will be changes. maybe not the head coach Talaei himself. and yes Lashgari has no experience. and you can blame the coach for Hosseinkhani's loss. it wasn't that hard to hold the guy for 4-5 seconds to finish it, and btw he almost scored the same way against Green but he was smarter and somehow fleed the mat to avoid the takedown.. Hosseinkhani lost the exact same way to Dadashpour in the trials.

and yes I think Ehsanpour isn't that bad , actualy he is a good wrestler but he is a choker and I don't think they wll give another chance, can't remember anybody giving a 4th chance here. I remember even Rahimi was under huge pressure when he failed in 2009 and 2010 and his 3rd time in 2011 was somehow his last chance.

Edited by wrestfan

just watched Hosseinkhani / Japan once again, this is hilarious listen to Lashgari at 6:00

he says " Agha Rasoul just called, go for two-stage attacks" (can't find a better way to translate that) this is funny if Khadem gives order to the coaches "during the match" he better sits and coaches the team if he really wants this. at least he is more charismatic and his presence probably helps in crucial moments

btw 30-40 seconds before the end, Lashgari tells him several times that "he is waiting for the final seconds to score" or something like that,

just watched Hosseinkhani / Japan once again, this is hilarious listen to Lashgari at 6:00

he says " Agha Rasoul just called, go for two-stage attacks" (can't find a better way to translate that) this is funny if Khadem gives order to the coaches "during the match" he better sits and coaches the team if he really wants this. at least he is more charismatic and his presence probably helps in crucial moments

btw 30-40 seconds before the end, Lashgari tells him several times that "he is waiting for the final seconds to score" or something like that,

Unfortunately, you cannot view the video in the US

Interesting video, Khadem's speech after the 2nd day of FS in Paris

http://cdn.yjc.ir/files/fa/news/1396/6/17/6736135_344.mp4

he is directly saying to some of those wrestlers that they won't see the color of national team again !

he somehow regrets not sending Rahimi, Esameilpour, Ghasemi and someone else at 97kg to Paris.

he is directly saying to some of those wrestlers that they won't see the color of national team again !

he somehow regrets not sending Rahimi, Esameilpour, Ghasemi and someone else at 97kg to Paris.

From these videos and other comments it sounds like next year Khadem will hand pick an old man team (even if they lose at the trials) and hope for the best. Maybe they will do better next year if they just send the wrestlers who have won medals in the past. I think they probably will. But everyone knows that is not any kind of solution to the problems they are facing. You can't send the same guys forever. 

Besides they did pick Hosseinkhani even though he didn't win trials and he lost to the first decent wrestler he faced at worlds. If next year they ignore the trials and pick who they want but still get a poor result, which I think is very possible, then it will look very bad for them. 

Edited by Shiraz123

wrestfan, on 08 Sept 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

Looks like these guys are at a funeral, even Yazdani.  :(

So what, one down year. Happens in all sports.

Iran has been excellent in wrestling over the years and I'm sure they'll be come back and be very competitive again. Really hope Iran participates in the upcoming World Cup in Iowa to defend their multiple titles.

(Was also hoping Iran would bring a team to the Farrell tournament this year but looks like the Dave Schultz tournament was moved to November and the Farrell to March?)

Iran U23 team

57kg: trial between Younes Sarmasti vs Reza Atri

61kg: Iman Sadeghi *

65kg: trial between Morteza Ghiasi vs Younes Emami

70kg: Jamal Ebadi

74kg: trial between Mohammad Motaghinia vs Hamidreza Zarinpeikar

86kg: Alireza Karimi

97kg: Mojtaba Goleij *

125kg: Amin Taheri

they will decide about Sadeghi and Goleij after the Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games in Turkmenistan

beside that there are rumors in Iran that Iran Wrestling Federation will ban 3 wrestlers from the next year trials, Ehsanpour, Yarahmadi and Amir Mohammadi.