wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

I agree that it’s going to be a chess match. Key for Hassan would be - don’t get into too any scrambling situations, Taylor is really good at scrambling (so does Yianni at 65kg), More undertook initiated attacks (the way he played 2015 70kg works championship matches up until destroyed by Gadzimegomedov), Wrestle conservatively (don’t try to tire Taylor), finish shots quickly and cleanly (of course obvious one).

As I said earlier, he will win this time over Taylor.

on a side note - are there any good wrestlers (already in seniors or bumping up from Jr to Sr) that could potentially create an upset win over either of these two , Hassan and Taylor - in 86kg at Olympics?

Edited by freestyle_fan

5 minutes ago, freestyle_fan said:

I agree that it’s going to be a chess match. Key for Hassan would be - don’t get into too any scrambling situations, Taylor is really good at scrambling (so does Yianni at 65kg), More undertook initiated attacks (the way he played 2015 70kg works championship matches up until destroyed by Gadzimegomedov), Wrestle conservatively (don’t try to tire Taylor), finish shots quickly and cleanly (of course obvious one).

As I said earlier, he will win this time over Taylor.

on a side note - are there any good wrestlers (already in seniors or bumping up from Jr to Sr) that could potentially create an upset win over either of these two , Hassan and Taylor - in 86kg at Olympics?

No. It would be a major shock if these 2 were not the finalists. No one else touches either of them at the moment.

Torreblanca (CUB) gave hard time to Taylor back in 2018 Pan Ams. Also, what happened to Shamil Kudiamagomedov, originally from Dagestan, represented Italy in 2018. There were rumors back then (2014-2018) that he was as good as Sadulaev. In fact, Sadulaev had to wrestle a tough fight (during Russian Nationals) with him to make 2014 world team.

I never heard of Shamil K after 2018, anybody knows anything??

1 hour ago, Uwwdoc said:

No. It would be a major shock if these 2 were not the finalists. No one else touches either of them at the moment.

hmmm, not so sure about that. Hassan ? maybe. but Taylor is very "touchable" at least for Naifonov. in fact you never can underestimate Russia in wresting. no matter who they send and no matter who they face. and btw it's possible if they meet before the final. Taylor won't be seeded.

the good thing about life is you always learn something new, for example I learned that age doesn't matter in wrestling. that's why all of 2016/2012/2008/2004 gold medalists were +30. and also I learned that winning the Olympic gold is not enough reason to motivate someone, a large group of people have to curse you on your instagram to motivate you for that!! I just don't understand how come Mostafa Hosseinkhani didn't win 5 world titles already, he receives millions of that everyday.

@freestyle_fan Kudiamagomedov is injured and even without that he still needs an Italian passport to wrestle at the Olympics. (not necessary for UWW competitions). and Torreblanca is 32 (oh well I forgot that age doesn't matter) and lost badly to Taylor at the Pan-Ams qualifiers, most probably won't even make it to Tokyo. nothing is guaranteed in this sport but I think this is fair to say that this weight will be between Iran, USA and Russia.

35 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

hmmm, not so sure about that. Hassan ? maybe. but Taylor is very "touchable" at least for Naifonov. in fact you never can underestimate Russia in wresting. no matter who they send and no matter who they face. and btw it's possible if they meet before the final. Taylor won't be seeded.

the good thing about life is you always learn something new, for example I learned that age doesn't matter in wrestling. that's why all of 2016/2012/2008/2004 gold medalists were +30. and also I learned that winning the Olympic gold is not enough reason to motivate someone, a large group of people have to curse you on your instagram to motivate you for that!! I just don't understand how come Mostafa Hosseinkhani didn't win 5 world titles already, he receives millions of that everyday.

lol. Poor Hosseinkani.

You never know and can never underestimate anyone, I remember when that Japanese guy beat Hasan Rahimi in the Olympics completely unexpectedly and poor Rahimi looked on track for a gold too. Top wrestler.

Just find it very unlikely that any other country beats these 2 at this weight. Naifonov won't touch Yaz, may cause Taylor an issue, but I would expect these 2 to be top 2, depending on seeding of course. Your statement on Russia is true.

Edited by Uwwdoc

7 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Can somebody in this thread give me a detailed explanation of how Yazdani is supposedly so much more technical than Taylor? 

Again, not a detailed explanation but my 2 cents - Yazdani style is orthodox, text book  where as Taylor is more creative and funky. J'den Cox is probably the more technical than any of these two.

I am not sure you got a chance to read these articles below, if not below are for your reading pleasure - 

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/1/12/21060851/wrestling-breakdown-part-1-olympic-champion-hassan-yazdanicharati

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/1/20/21065522/wrestling-breakdown-part-2-olympic-champion-hassan-yazdanicharati

I always enjoy the reading wrestling stuff by Ed Gallo (author).

Dabir's explanation on why we had trials in different dates for different weights

57: both guys cut weight, so they wanted to finish the job early to not torture them later

86: they wanted to finish the job for Yazdani soon, to let him focus on Taylor! (Dabir is really stupid for not knowing he has a very slim chance after all)

125: both Taheri and Zare don't cut weight, so they have time to send them to international competitions, Taheri will wrestle in Dan Kolov (let's see if he suddenly gets injured again or not) and Zare in Kazakhstan. Dabir talked about two wrestlers, so I assume Hadi and Mohebbi are completely out.

he also said in those 3 weights it doesn't matter who wins the quotas, at the end of day they have to wrestle each other in Iran or somewhere else.

it seems they really consider those 2020 trial results as a part of Olympic trials!

9 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Dabir's explanation on why we had trials in different dates for different weights

57: both guys cut weight, so they wanted to finish the job early to not torture them later

86: they wanted to finish the job for Yazdani soon, to let him focus on Taylor! (Dabir is really stupid for not knowing he has a very slim chance after all)

125: both Taheri and Zare don't cut weight, so they have time to send them to international competitions, Taheri will wrestle in Dan Kolov (let's see if he suddenly gets injured again or not) and Zare in Kazakhstan. Dabir talked about two wrestlers, so I assume Hadi and Mohebbi are completely out.

he also said in those 3 weights it doesn't matter who wins the quotas, at the end of day they have to wrestle each other in Iran or somewhere else.

it seems they really consider those 2020 trial results as a part of Olympic trials!

Thanks for the info.

There isn't much chat about 97kg, whether Mohammadian or Shabani is the frontrunner according to the committee and if either will get sent to the upcoming tournaments. I hope for Mohammadian, he would be a dark horse at the weight. Teching Bo and pinning Snyder is way more than any of the other 97kg candidates have accomplished.

Also in case any of you have missed it a good video came out a few weeks ago; Taylor talking about his last match with Yaz, good watch:

Edited by Uwwdoc

https://uww.org/event/european-og-qualifier?tab=results&weight-category=d5dd34b9-863d-11eb-a561-080027548b1b

Looking at the European Tokyo qualifier, it seems like the only weight Israel is even going to try and qualify is 74, and the guy got a terrible draw. So unless for some reason they are only sending 1 guy to Europe and plan to send the other weights to the world qualifier the Iranian coaches don't need to really worry about Israel at the Olympics. Weird because they seemed to have an 86kg wrestler who was pretty active a while ago. 

Just now, Shiraz123 said:

https://uww.org/event/european-og-qualifier?tab=results&weight-category=d5dd34b9-863d-11eb-a561-080027548b1b

Looking at the European Tokyo qualifier, it seems like the only weight Israel is even going to try and qualify is 74, and the guy got a terrible draw. So unless for some reason they are only sending 1 guy to Europe and plan to send the other weights to the world qualifier the Iranian coaches don't need to really worry about Israel at the Olympics. Weird because they seemed to have an 86kg wrestler who was pretty active a while ago. 

Yazdani running into an Israeli in the Olympics would be a nightmare scenario.

I can live with our 74 Kg drawing an Israeli.

Better yet, I look forward to the day where Iran will stop this stupid policy, and we will go back to the days where Iranian wrestlers used to pin Israelis left and right

1 minute ago, irani said:

Yazdani running into an Israeli in the Olympics would be a nightmare scenario.

I can live with our 74 Kg drawing an Israeli.

Better yet, I look forward to the day where Iran will stop this stupid policy, and we will go back to the days where Iranian wrestlers used to pin Israelis left and right

Lol, I read quiet a few conspiracy theories on instagram a while back about how Russia is is intentionally trying to sabotage Yazdani through Israel by sending them a wrestler, his name was Kalashnikov or something similar to the gun. He was an active wrestler for them before, he was the one Karimi was meant to wrestle in that controversy. In the end it seems they aren't even going to try and qualify the weight. Mazel tov  to the Iranian fans lol.

The 74 is American, but it would be very surprising if he qualified. 

12 minutes ago, window12 said:

Amir Reza GHASEMIKIA hopefully will do his best to qualify for 74Kg for Great Britain

Yeah I saw that lol. I tried to find some matches of his but it seems he has never wrestled internationally before. I'm sure he wont qualify anyway, even the 74kg  guys wrestling for Iran might not qualify in his bracket.

1 minute ago, Shiraz123 said:

Yeah I saw that lol. I tried to find some matches of his but it seems he has never wrestled internationally before. I'm sure he wont qualify anyway, even the 74kg  guys wrestling for Iran might not qualify in his bracket.

I think you are right- shame though

IAWF officially announced the squad for the Asian Championships and the Asian OQT

Olympic Qualification Tournament

Freestyle: Amir Mohammad Yazdani 65, Younes Emami 74 and Mohammad Hossein Mohammadian 97
Greco: Mohammad Reza Geraei 67, Hossein Nouri 87 and Mohammad Hadi Saravi 97

Asian Championships Squad:

Freestyle:
57, Reza Sarlak
61, Majid Dastan
65, Morteza Ghiasi
70, Amir Hossein Hosseini
74, Mostafa Hosseinkhani
79, Ali Savadkouhi
86, Hassan Yazdani
92, Kamran Ghasempour
97, Ali Shaabani
125, Amir Hossein Zare

Greco-Roman
55, Pouya Dadmarz
60, Mehdi Mohsennejad
63, Meysam Dalkhani
67, Hossein Asadi
72, Amin Kavianinejad
77, Pejman Poshtam
82, Mehdi Ebrahimi
87, Nasser Alizadeh
97, Mehdi Bali
130, Ali Akbar Yousefi

surprised to see both Yazdani and Ghasempour in the Asian squad, the freestyle squad is not that far from the best possible team Iran can send! Emami going to the Olympic Qualifier was also surprising for me. I hope they won't regret it later.

in Greco, Bana simply doesn't care about the Asian Championship. we can be sure nobody from this team will go to the Olympics.

11 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

IAWF officially announced the squad for the Asian Championships and the Asian OQT

Olympic Qualification Tournament

Freestyle: Amir Mohammad Yazdani 65, Younes Emami 74 and Mohammad Hossein Mohammadian 97
Greco: Mohammad Reza Geraei 67, Hossein Nouri 87 and Mohammad Hadi Saravi 97

Asian Championships Squad:

Freestyle:
57, Reza Sarlak
61, Majid Dastan
65, Morteza Ghiasi
70, Amir Hossein Hosseini
74, Mostafa Hosseinkhani
79, Ali Savadkouhi
86, Hassan Yazdani
92, Kamran Ghasempour
97, Ali Shaabani
125, Amir Hossein Zare

Greco-Roman
55, Pouya Dadmarz
60, Mehdi Mohsennejad
63, Meysam Dalkhani
67, Hossein Asadi
72, Amin Kavianinejad
77, Pejman Poshtam
82, Mehdi Ebrahimi
87, Nasser Alizadeh
97, Mehdi Bali
130, Ali Akbar Yousefi

surprised to see both Yazdani and Ghasempour in the Asian squad, the freestyle squad is not that far from the best possible team Iran can send! Emami going to the Olympic Qualifier was also surprising for me. I hope they won't regret it later.

in Greco, Bana simply doesn't care about the Asian Championship. we can be sure nobody from this team will go to the Olympics.

The Yazdani situation is reminding me of the lead up to 2018 worlds where they sent him to only the Asian championships and Asian games before worlds. I'm sure he will wrestle a good tournament at some point (unless they are very stupid) but don't you think it's a waste of time sending him to the Asian championships at a extremely weak weight in Asia? 

1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

The Yazdani situation is reminding me of the lead up to 2018 worlds where they sent him to only the Asian championships and Asian games before worlds. I'm sure he will wrestle a good tournament at some point (unless they are very stupid) but don't you think it's a waste of time sending him to the Asian championships at a extremely weak weight in Asia? 

to me this is a mistake and i was really surprised when I saw his name in the list. but I don't know maybe that's part of the preparation plan to wrestle in a low level competition at this stage. I hope so.  this will be even weaker than usual since most wrestlers will focus on the Olympic quota.

I highly doubt they repeat the same mistake as 2018. they repeatedly talked about sending Hassan to an international tournament before the Olympics. specially if Taylor wrestles.

5 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

You guys reckon this means they favour Mohammadian as 97kg pick?

I certainly think so, and I do not blame them.  While he had not performed well recently, he has shown the most potential in international tournaments.

I think Mohammdian at his best is far better than anyone else Iran has at their best in 97

13 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

And Morteza Ghiasi at 65.. When I see that guys name I just get depressed. So bad that our 65kg is between him and little Yazdani.

The weakest division by far. I was hoping at least Meysam Nassiri would give Yaz a run for his money. But maybe Amouzad in future will own this division

32 minutes ago, irani said:

I certainly think so, and I do not blame them.  While he had not performed well recently, he has shown the most potential in international tournaments.

I think Mohammdian at his best is far better than anyone else Iran has at their best in 97

Completely agree. I am just glad they think that too. Will be good to see him in a tourney. I definitely think he can be a dark horse in the Olympics

I think Hosseinkhani is a little upset he didn't get sent to the qualifier judging from his instagram. What is he complaining about? He has lost trials and went to worlds anyway in the past and has had so many chances, he even still has a chance to go to Tokyo. Very annoying wrestler and person. 

I saw his instagram, if he means the coaches (which is most probably the case) that was really disgusting. from Hosseinkhani of all people. they defended him so many times against most people's opinion.

I usually supported him because I believed he was treated unfairly by the fans but with this kind of behavior he can go to hell.