wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

39 minutes ago, window12 said:

Is this his page?- https://www.instagram.com/mostafahoseynkhani/

As on this page the last entry was 3 weeks ago about his Dad passing away? i guess I am not looking at his main page .....

that's the page but check his "stories"

i"m going to write it in persian,

"و اما طبق معمول بازی های کثیف  و سناریوهای تکراری شروع شد ... کشتی آزاد"

"dirty plays as usual" lol seriously "as usual" against Hosseinkhani ? really ?

13 hours ago, wrestfan said:

that's the page but check his "stories"

Thanks- I see what you mean about it bing on his 'story'. Agree he should be sort of thankful for the opportunities he is given or  at least if he does not feel grateful as he is of the opinion that it was all deserved and earned yet he deserves more, he would have kept more folks on his side by being more tactful.

Does anyone know what Younes Emami's weight is?  Does he have to cut a lot of weight to wrestler at 70 kg?

I am trying to find out if he will be wrestling guys who are much bigger than he is at 74 Kg

1 hour ago, irani said:

Does anyone know what Younes Emami's weight is?  Does he have to cut a lot of weight to wrestler at 70 kg?

I am trying to find out if he will be wrestling guys who are much bigger than he is at 74 Kg

I don't think he was cutting a lot of weight, otherwise he would not have gone back down from 74 to 70 last year, i'd guess he was probably around 72-74kg, probably bigger now that he has committed to 74. I don't think size will too much of a problem for him, he can be the right size for 74. Bigger problem is that this is a very difficult weight. Hopefully they send him to the Olympics, at least he has an entertaining style to watch even if he doesn't win a medal. Hosseinkhani's style is just terrible and he rarely gets results plus he's kind of old. I found these two good videos on Youtube about him:

Edited by Shiraz123

2 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

I don't think he was cutting a lot of weight, otherwise he would not have gone back down from 74 to 70 last year, i'd guess he was probably around 72-74kg, probably bigger now that he has committed to 74. I don't think size will too much of a problem for him, he can be the right size for 74. Bigger problem is that this is a very difficult weight. Hopefully they send him to the Olympics, at least he has an entertaining style to watch even if he doesn't win a medal. Hosseinkhani's style is just terrible and he rarely gets results plus he's kind of old. I found these two good videos on Youtube about him:

I really enjoyed these, thanks.

I think Emami is our best chance at 74 by a mile.  As you said, unfortunately, 74 is a very stacked weight, but Emami is only 23-24, perhaps he will gain valuable experience and be a contender for the 2024 Olympics

1 hour ago, irani said:

I really enjoyed these, thanks.

I think Emami is our best chance at 74 by a mile.  As you said, unfortunately, 74 is a very stacked weight, but Emami is only 23-24, perhaps he will gain valuable experience and be a contender for the 2024 Olympics

https://www.tasnimnews.com/fa/news/1399/12/10/2459025/امامی-در-اردوهای-بعدی-وزنم-بالاتر-خواهد-رفت-معلوم-نیست-در-گزینشی-کشتی-بگیرم-یا-آسیایی

he answered your question

On 3/20/2021 at 8:00 PM, irani said:

Emami is only 23-24, perhaps he will gain valuable experience and be a contender for the 2024 Olympics

Do we know how old are Borroughs, Sidakov and Chamizo? 

2 minutes ago, window12 said:

Do we know how old are Boroughs, Sidakov and Chamizo? 

JB 32, Sidakov 25, Chamizo 28

So in the 2024 Olympics, A 26 year old Emami, will face a 28 year old Sidakov, a 31 year old Chamizo and JB's replacement 

I did not know the age of Sidakov and Chamizo, and had to look them up.  Sidakov is younger than I would have guessed

8 minutes ago, irani said:

So in the 2024 Olympics, A 26 year old Emami, will face a 28 year old Sidakov, a 31 year old Chamizo and JB's replacement 

Odds seem favourable for a medal then- Injury and other circumstances permitting.... His style of wrestling would seem to merit it.. 

Greco Roman selection. 

Not much hype behind the Greco Roman team compared to freestyle and I am not sure there is much competition in the selection process either, and although unlikely a repeat of the 2012 success will occur, there are a potential medallists. But will anyone be able to get gold?

60kg-Is there anyone who is going to challenge Ali Nejati at this weight? I thought perhaps Dalkhani would cut down to 60kg and challenge but doesn't seem he will. Nejati appears to be the favourite to rep Iran at the weight. Potentially could get a bronze medal. Would be nice if he does better than that.

67kg- MR Geraei looks to be the favourite to rep at this weight if he can qualify Iran at the OQT. I actually really like the Geraei brothers and their style of Greco, probably the brightest stars in the Iranian Greco team. Likely can medal, but would exceed expectations if it is more than bronze.

77kg-Ali Geraei would be my pick for the weight and I actually feel Iran's best chance of getting gold in Greco Roman. Fun dynamic style of Greco, and he was on a roll in 2019 worlds until he had a poor defeat to the Swede, hopefully he is more mature and experienced and may be able to reach the final and even get gold. I believe Abdvali wants to challenge him at this weight, I would rather he had he tried to go up to 87kg. I would rather have Geraei over Abdvali personally.

87kg-Hossein Nouri is being sent to OQT and probably is the best pick Iran has at the weight? If he qualifies Iran he will likely represent too. Gold unlikely but could be on the podium.

97kg-Saravi will rep at this weight almost certainly and he is actually a pretty decent talent, gave Aleksanyan a tough match in the worlds a few years ago, let's see if he has improved and can do even better in Tokyo.

130kg-Amir Ghasemi or Ali Yousefi? Probably will need to duke it out to see, Ghasemi got smoked by Nabi which was uninspiring but don't know if Yousefi will do much better.

Overall a pretty average GR side imo. No big favourites for gold, but with a bit of luck I could be a few medallists there even if it is bronze, can realistically see Saravi, Nouri, Nejati, and MR Rezaei all getting bronze potentially which would not be bad, with a bit of luck maybe they do even better. I do rate Ali Geraei though and like his style of Greco. Probably Iran's best shot at Gold in Greco imo.

What you guys think? Anyone I missed out or potentially could rep at different weights. You think I'm being too harsh on the GR team, or not harsh enough? 

Hosseinkhani wasn't allowed to join the national camp which was re-started yesterday. because of that instagram post. the disciplinary committee will decide about him.

apparently Dabir had to lecture the whole camp about these kind of behavior, saying he will not tolerate that. and asking them to "learn how to act and train from Yazdani"

good move IMO, that was stupid from Hosseinkhani. they had to stop these kind of behavior at some point.

looking at the list they still have Ebadi and M.S. Firouzpour in the camp. so most probably one of them will go the Asian Championships. unless they forgive Hosseinkhani.

and those wrestlers selected for the Olympic Qualifiers will not leave the camp until the competition, like a prisoner ! they are worried about a late coronavirus infection right before the competition.

@Uwwdoc 130kg is between Ghasemi-Monjazi and Mirzazdaeh, I believe Yousefi is out of the race he lost to Ghasemi at the 2020 trials. (Mirzazadeh was covid positive and couldn't wrestle) and the fact they are sending Yousefi to the Asian Championship means Bana doesn't count on him. Ghasemi and Mirzazadeh were supposed to wrestle in Ukraine but Ghasemi got injured.

and beside that Nabi didn't score a point on him. they were all cautions. Nabi can't score on anybody actually. lol he just stalls and wins matches by cautions

Hopefully they ban Hosseinkhani for this year due to his comment, which may end his career as at his age (32) I assume he's going to be done soon. If Karimi made that complaint I would have more sympathy for him as at least he always gets a world medal if they send him without a trial, and even if he said that it would be stupid let alone Hosseinkhani. I think Hosseinkhani has had his ego inflated by them sending him to worlds without a trial that in his mind he thinks he is something similar to Sadulaev, the guy has 1 world bronze at 70kg and has gone to worlds like 5 times. Send little Firouzpour to the Asian championships, Ebadi is already going to Kolov and Emami is already going to the qualifier. That is 74 sorted out for the next few months until Tokyo between those 3. Hopefully Emami goes to the Olympics and then maybe we will have more strong wrestlers come from cadets and juniors by 2024 to compete at the weight.

Edited by Shiraz123

the seeding for the Olympics and Olympic Qualifiers are available here, this is not the "final ranking" for the Olympics because there is still one ranking event left in Poland. but for the Olympic Qualifiers this is final

https://uww.org/sites/default/files/2021-03/201214_ranking_fs_3.pdf

in case you don't know for the Qualifiers, only top 2 will be seeded and separated in two different sides of the draw (and most probably will get a bye in the first round) but for the Olympics top 4 will be seeded.

for the qualifiers, none of our guys will be seeded. for 65kg that Russian guy of Bahrain will be seed 1, but then the next guy in the list who is eligible to wrestle is from Chinese Taipei! which means Yazdani junior and everybody else including Bekbulatov will be unseeded and may meet each other anywhere in the draw.

at 74kg Jitender of India could be #1 but India is sending someone else (a bit unknown for me Sandeep Singh Mann) Hosseinkhani could be seed #1 but then we know he is out. some guys from Korea, Mongolia and Iraq are next in line !! not a sure thing if their countries send exactly the same name but that doesn't really matter. Emami and Abdurakhmanov will be both unseeded. that's all matters.

97kg, Magomed Musaev of Kyrgyzstan is #1, Goleij could be #2 but without him Magomed Ibragimov (UZB) is #2 and will be in the bottom half. (Mohammadian is 4th in line behind Kadian of India) I'm not 100% sure if KGZ and UZB send exactly the same guy but I think they will do. in that case Ibragimov will be in bottom half. which means mathematically there is more chance for Mohammadian to meet him before the final. I know this guy is old and Karimi beat him in Jakarta but I think he is still tricky and dangerous. he is probably the only one Mohammadian should be worried about.

-------------

and if we consider the bigger picture, the Olympics, only Yazdani will finish in top 4. he is 1st in the ranking right now. you probably say Yazdani doesn't need to be seeded because his main rival Taylor will be unseeded. but I would like to have Yazdani and Naifonov in different sides of the draw. I don't like to see him facing Naifonov and Taylor back to back in a short period of time. as of now Yazdani is #1 and Naifonov is #3 which means they won't meet before the final. but the ranking is NOT final and the Polish event can make some minor changes.

9 hours ago, wrestfan said:

the seeding for the Olympics and Olympic Qualifiers are available here, this is not the "final ranking" for the Olympics because there is still one ranking event left in Poland. but for the Olympic Qualifiers this is final

https://uww.org/sites/default/files/2021-03/201214_ranking_fs_3.pdf

in case you don't know for the Qualifiers, only top 2 will be seeded and separated in two different sides of the draw (and most probably will get a bye in the first round) but for the Olympics top 4 will be seeded.

for the qualifiers, none of our guys will be seeded. for 65kg that Russian guy of Bahrain will be seed 1, but then the next guy in the list who is eligible to wrestle is from Chinese Taipei! which means Yazdani junior and everybody else including Bekbulatov will be unseeded and may meet each other anywhere in the draw.

at 74kg Jitender of India could be #1 but India is sending someone else (a bit unknown for me Sandeep Singh Mann) Hosseinkhani could be seed #1 but then we know he is out. some guys from Korea, Mongolia and Iraq are next in line !! not a sure thing if their countries send exactly the same name but that doesn't really matter. Emami and Abdurakhmanov will be both unseeded. that's all matters.

97kg, Magomed Musaev of Kyrgyzstan is #1, Goleij could be #2 but without him Magomed Ibragimov (UZB) is #2 and will be in the bottom half. (Mohammadian is 4th in line behind Kadian of India) I'm not 100% sure if KGZ and UZB send exactly the same guy but I think they will do. in that case Ibragimov will be in bottom half. which means mathematically there is more chance for Mohammadian to meet him before the final. I know this guy is old and Karimi beat him in Jakarta but I think he is still tricky and dangerous. he is probably the only one Mohammadian should be worried about.

-------------

and if we consider the bigger picture, the Olympics, only Yazdani will finish in top 4. he is 1st in the ranking right now. you probably say Yazdani doesn't need to be seeded because his main rival Taylor will be unseeded. but I would like to have Yazdani and Naifonov in different sides of the draw. I don't like to see him facing Naifonov and Taylor back to back in a short period of time. as of now Yazdani is #1 and Naifonov is #3 which means they won't meet before the final. but the ranking is NOT final and the Polish event can make some minor changes.

You think it is likely Yazdani and Taylor both go to the ranking series in Poland in June?

35 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

You think it is likely Yazdani and Taylor both go to the ranking series in Poland in June?

I don't know but I love to watch them wrestle before Tokyo.

Yazdani will go a tournament before the Olympics. Poland or somewhere else. going to Poland will secure his 1st place in the ranking. but only if he really cares about the ranking. Taylor doesn't care because even winning the Poland tournament won't get him into top 4. I'm sure right now he only cares about the US trials. after winning that (if he does) he will make plans about whatever international event he wants to participate but I assume he will wrestle at least in one tournament before Tokyo.

6 hours ago, wrestfan said:

I don't know but I love to watch them wrestle before Tokyo.

Yazdani will go a tournament before the Olympics. Poland or somewhere else. going to Poland will secure his 1st place in the ranking. but only if he really cares about the ranking. Taylor doesn't care because even winning the Poland tournament won't get him into top 4. I'm sure right now he only cares about the US trials. after winning that (if he does) he will make plans about whatever international event he wants to participate but I assume he will wrestle at least in one tournament before Tokyo.

It's difficult to tell in who it favours more or not if they wrestle before Tokyo. I would imagine Taylor would want to save it for the Olympics, and avoid facing him before then. I think from Yaz's it would favour him getting his hands on him and seeing where he is at, beating him before Tokyo would be good for confidence and strategy

5 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

It's difficult to tell in who it favours more or not if they wrestle before Tokyo. I would imagine Taylor would want to save it for the Olympics, and avoid facing him before then. I think from Yaz's it would favour him getting his hands on him and seeing where he is at, beating him before Tokyo would be good for confidence and strategy

I see it the opposite way.

I assume and hope the coaches have devised a new strategy to wrestle against Yazdani (perhaps go slow and conservative until the last 2 minutes, and attack super aggressively)

If that is the case, wrestling before the Olympics is not a good idea for Yazdani.  It will tip their hands to Taylor, and give him time to adjust,

At this point, I don't expect Taylor to change anything.  I expect Yazdani to change his strategy a lot

3 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Valencia is probably going to win the American trials anyway so the match wont happen. 

I would imagine Taylor is the favourite in that match but you are clearly talking from a position of knowledge and basing what you are saying on having analysed their recent forms. Thanks for the update.Valencia must be quite a competitor.

18 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Valencia is probably going to win the American trials anyway so the match wont happen. 

That is certainly possible but it would be considered a huge upset and would surprise the vast majority of those who follow wrestling closely in the USA (excepting the Sunkist guys)  Zahid has looked good lately but he also just lost to a Russian who is not in the top 2 in Russia.    

Edited by lu1979

the mighty Hosseinkhani is now allowed to join the national camp. apparently he explained he was in a bad situation writing that and they accepted the apology.

I don't think they really wanted to ban him, because they didn't announce a replacement for him for the Asian squad. Dabir probably just wanted to show who is the boss.

On 3/25/2021 at 12:39 PM, Shiraz123 said:

This seems to be more of what you wish to happen than reality! Even if Taylor to loose, I would bet on Gabe Dean taking him out rather than Zahid Valencia.