wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

Behnam Ehsanpour announced retirement, probably too early at the age of 29 but well wrestling is a tough sport.

I wasn't his fan and probably wrote few things against him but he was a nice guy and had a decent career winning a world bronze and couple of Asian golds. it could be much more though, wish him the best of luck in his life.

his farewell message is somehow touching

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNaVoiAMMOo/

2 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Behnam Ehsanpour announced retirement, probably too early at the age of 29 but well wrestling is a tough sport.

I wasn't his fan and probably wrote few things against him but he was a nice guy and had a decent career winning a world bronze and couple of Asian golds. it could be much more though, wish him the best of luck in his life.

What a classy farewell post

Wow that seems premature. I thought he would have had a good chance to medal in Oslo, with a likely weaker field so soon after Tokyo (the second 'olympic year' this cycle). But I guess being stuck between 57 and 65 and not good enough for 65 took its toll. 

Good luck to him.

Edited by The Genius

Just for fun predictions of OQT:

GR (Friday):

Geraei (67kg GR): silver (best draw in the world to get to the final and avoid all the big names lol not sure how he managed that)

Nouri (87kg GR): gold (anything less is a disappointing performance)

Saravi (97kg GR): gold (my personal favourite GR prospect, although there are a few others that look great too)

FS (I think Sunday):

A. Yazdani (65kg): bronze (I think Haji from Bahrain will beat him and win gold)

Emami (74kg): interesting because he was solid at 70kg worlds but with a (extremely) favourable draw, I think silver and he loses in the final to the Uzbek 

Mohammadian (97kg): definite gold, very low level of competition 

12 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Just for fun predictions of OQT:

GR (Friday):

Geraei (67kg GR): silver (best draw in the world to get to the final and avoid all the big names lol not sure how he managed that)

Nouri (87kg GR): gold (anything less is a disappointing performance)

Saravi (97kg GR): gold (my personal favourite GR prospect, although there are a few others that look great too)

FS (I think Sunday):

A. Yazdani (65kg): bronze (I think Haji from Bahrain will beat him and win gold)

Emami (74kg): interesting because he was solid at 70kg worlds but with a (extremely) favourable draw, I think silver and he loses in the final to the Uzbek 

Mohammadian (97kg): definite gold, very low level of competition 

In my opinion, the results are binary for each wrestler.  Either he qualifies or does not.

So you are predicting everyone qualifies except Yazdani in 65KG.

If that happens, that would be a great result for Iran.  Question is, who would they send to the final qualifying event for 65 Kg, if your prediction is correct?

32 minutes ago, irani said:

In my opinion, the results are binary for each wrestler.  Either he qualifies or does not.

So you are predicting everyone qualifies except Yazdani in 65KG.

If that happens, that would be a great result for Iran.  Question is, who would they send to the final qualifying event for 65 Kg, if your prediction is correct?

I don't think 65kg matters that much because it's probably Iran's weakest weight along with 74kg, and the strongest category internationally, so no hope for a medal in Tokyo at all. They might as well send Yazdani again if he performs well or if not I'd say Maghsoudi deserves it. 

6 hours ago, The Genius said:

I don't think 65kg matters that much because it's probably Iran's weakest weight along with 74kg, and the strongest category internationally, so no hope for a medal in Tokyo at all. They might as well send Yazdani again if he performs well or if not I'd say Maghsoudi deserves it. 

Could be wrong but I think Maghsoudi is completely out for this year at least. He's not been invited to any of the training camps since his terrible performance at the last trial where he lost to anyone.

I think it's just between Yazdani and Ghiasi this year, is this correct @wrestfan

Geraei and Saravi to the finals and qualify their weights respectively. I expected them to get there and get gold so here's hoping. Well done to them.

Nouri messed up. Beat on criteria in semis. I have not seen the match to see how bad or if any injustice was involved, but disappointing result, and may put his chances of repping Iran in doubt, I always thought Abdvali could move up to rep since Geraei is strong at 77kg but maybe it is too big of a jump for him.

Edited by Uwwdoc

What a disaster by Nouri, how did he lose to that guy ?! I thought Nouri had a good chance of getting a medal in Tokyo... Taheri should go to the WQT instead, Nouri is already in his 30s at least Taheri is a lot younger and he did very well at 2019 worlds.

2 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Could be wrong but I think Maghsoudi is completely out for this year at least. He's not been invited to any of the training camps since his terrible performance at the last trial where he lost to anyone.

I think it's just between Yazdani and Ghiasi this year, is this correct @wrestfan

yes i think so but it's always to invite new guys if both of them fail badly here

43 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Nouri messed up. Beat on criteria in semis. I have not seen the match to see how bad or if any injustice was involved, but disappointing result, and may put his chances of repping Iran in doubt, I always thought Abdvali could move up to rep since Geraei is strong at 77kg but maybe it is too big of a jump for him.

you will hurt yourself if you watch the match lol

Nouri was leading 4-0, with his "pushing" style, but then in last 35 seconds for whatever reason he decided for one more pushout and the Chinese guy scored a 4pts throw on him. as simple as that. I believe Bana will crucify him for this. completely ruined my day. week , month, year. decade, century

4 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Nouri was leading 4-0, with his "pushing" style, but then in last 35 seconds for whatever reason he decided for one more pushout and the Chinese guy scored a 4pts throw on him. as simple as that. I believe Bana will crucify him for this. completely ruined my day. week , month, year. decade, century

Well you know what, good in the long run, I would rather his poor match IQ comes out now instead of in Olympics and at least we have a chance for someone else that doesn't completely sabotage himself to qualify at the last chance worlds and do well in Tokyo. I know Taheri was mentioned, but I don't see him medalling, Abdvali imo stupidly tried to make 77kg outside of the national camp, when there is no chance there with Geraei at the weight and him not being in camp. He should have tried to bulk at 87kg which is weaker. I have no idea who can now rep Iran at the weight successfully. Maybe Bana will look at the u23 or junior guys

37 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Just seen it, man that was painful lol. 

Mahdi Fallah seems to be doing well at Dan Kolov right now at 87kg. The weight is wide open now.

My favourite prospect Saravi (97kg) beats KGZ in the final 9-0 (edit: it was 10-0 after a failed challenge) and takes Gold with a fantastic performance. No doubt that Saravi should/will be the 97kg GR rep for Iran in Tokyo.

Not sure if I missed Nouri but I think he didn't show up for his bronze match (which makes sense).

So GR of the OQT finishes with 2 impressive golds (Geraei 67kg, Saravi 97kg) and failure for Nouri. 

Edited by The Genius

1 minute ago, The Genius said:

My favourite prospect Saravi (97kg) beats KGZ in the final 9-0 (edit: it was 10-0 after a failed challenge) and takes Gold with a fantastic performance. No doubt that Saravi should/will be the 97kg GR rep for Iran in Tokyo.

Not sure if I missed Nouri but I think he didn't show up for his bronze match (which makes sense).

So GR of the OQT finishes with 2 impressive golds (Geraei 67kg, Saravi 97kg) and failure for Nouri. 

Yup as my previous post above Nouri no showed.

21 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Wow. that was heartfelt from Ehsanpour

7 hours ago, The Genius said:

if anyone wants to watch the disaster of Nouri

A very disappointing performance.  For me the worst part is not his lack of wrestling IQ where he handed a match that he had won to his opponent, but his failure to display any wrestling skills against a weaker opponent.  None of his four points were earned utilizing wrestling skills

by wrestling skills

Edited by irani

47 minutes ago, irani said:

A very disappointing performance.  For me the worst part is not his lack of wrestling IQ where he handed a match that he had won to his opponent, but his failure to display any wrestling skills against a weaker opponent.  None of his four points were earned utilizing wrestling skills

by wrestling skills

Which is why it's best that this low IQ is exposed now and we can hopefully get someone who is smarter to rep Iran and qualify them in Bulgaria.