wrestfan

Iran Wrestling News

For me personally the worst part about this whole situation  was the lack of coach freak-out in the background. Sometimes when you get these kind of losses the Iranian coaches (who are always very loud and full of energy) have entertaining reactions. The "Ya Abolfazl" when Ezzatollah Akbari lost in the last seconds of worlds, Talaei arguing with a guy in the crowd at junior worlds after Nokhodi lost just to name a few. Unfortunately from what I am seeing here we had no such reaction. 

14 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Which is why it's best that this low IQ is exposed now and we can hopefully get someone who is smarter to rep Iran and qualify them in Bulgaria.

The low IQ part is not my biggest concern.  Better coaching can yell instructions to him to avoid lapse of judgement, but lack of wrestling moves are a bigger concern to me.  Yes, Bana needs to find a better candidate to send to the lat qualification

4 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

For me personally the worst part about this whole situation  was the lack of coach freak-out in the background. Sometimes when you get these kind of losses the Iranian coaches (who are always very loud and full of energy) have entertaining reactions. The "Ya Abolfazl" when Ezzatollah Akbari lost in the last seconds of worlds, Talaei arguing with a guy in the crowd at junior worlds after Nokhodi lost just to name a few. Unfortunately from what I am seeing here we had no such reaction. 

I think they should hire some coaches from Mongolia, if that is your criteria :)

Edited by irani

2 hours ago, The Genius said:

How can I see the Dan Kolov brackets and results?

https://www.bul-wrestling.org/новини/8186-четири-медала-за-борците-ни-в-първия-ден-на-дан-колов-никола-петров“

There's the link where you can find first day results.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJiDc36vZMzAy1IcHpPyXwg

And there's the youtube channel that is streaming the tournament live

Taheri beats a Georgian 15 - 4. I don't recognise him and the camera on the mat was too far away to see his name but I can say he was a very very very bad wrestler. Mostly underhook bullied him to a tech after the Georgian gassed in 1 minute. Taheri got 4'd off his leg attack in the first minute for the Georgian's points. 

Taheri is looking good. But this is a very weak tournament. Let's see how Zareh does next week. I know the consensus is Zareh is better overall and I agree, but I don't think Taheri is that further behind. Would like to see Taheri against stronger competition.

entries for the Asian Championships, I'm a bit surprised by the quality and the quantity of the competition, I was expecting something like 5-6 wrestlers per weight.

https://uww.org/article/asian-championship-april-13-18-entries

Ghiasi vs Bajrang and Otoguro ! you can't ask for more

I think Iran is almost guaranteed of 4 gold medals in higher weights, maybe 1 or 2 more in non-Olympic weights of 70 and 79. I wish they would send Amouzad instead of Sarlak. that would be interesting to see him against Ravi of India

btw I wonder why some of you guys keep calling our 125kg wrestler as Zareh, there is no "h" at the end of his name. it should be Zare'

9 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

btw I wonder why some of you guys keep calling our 125kg wrestler as Zareh, there is no "h" at the end of his name. it should be Zare'

Zare is how you would spell it if you take the persian letters and translate them to English.  The result is that it would be pronounced as Zeyr

Adding an H to the end is a desperate attempt to limit the butchering of the pronunciation. 

Spelling Persian names in English is a tricky skill, and the best way to do it is to completely ignore how it is spelled in Persian.  Listen to how it is pronounced, and then do your best to come up with spelling that will come close to that pronunciation.  Following my own advice, I would spell is as Zaa-Rae

Mohsen Kaveh was guest in  a TV show, his comments about US trials is probably interesting for American users here, I don't know what's the best English word for his position in Iran's freestyle team, he is kind of technical manager,  coordinator between the coaches and the federation. but in short he is an important guy.

his comments about the US trials are in the last 6-7 minutes
https://www.telewebion.com/episode/2550863

summary of what he says:

* if it was Burroughs, that would be better for us, I believe Dake is the best wrestler in USA right now (I assume he means p4p)
* their super heavy weight guy will have a lot to say in the Olympics (meaning he is a serious medal contender)
*about 97kg? Snyder is better for us !
* and about Taylor, he is not Yazdani's only opponent, just one of the opponents. it's not only Hassan vs Taylor at the Olympics. Hassan lost to him twice, first match Hassan was new to the weight and he wasn't in a good shape. and about the 2nd match Hassan wanted to tech him, (underestimated Taylor) and just attacked without a good strategy.

Edited by wrestfan

17 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

Mohsen Kaveh was guest in  a TV show, his comments about US trials is probably interesting for American users here, I don't know what's the best English word for his position in Iran's freestyle team, he is kind of technical manager,  coordinator between the coaches and the federation. but in short he is an important guy.

summary of what he says:

* if it was Burroughs, that would be better for us, I believe Dake is the best wrestler in USA right now (I assume he means p4p)
* their SHW will have a lot to say in the Olympics (meaning he is a serious medal contender)
* and about Taylor, he is not Yazdani's only opponent, just one of the opponents. it's not only Hassan vs Taylor at the Olympics. Hassan lost to him twice, first match Hassan was new to the weight and he wasn't in a good shape. and about the 2nd match Hassan wanted to tech him, (underestimated Taylor) and just attacked without a good strategy.

I agree with him on all of it basically, and they have the chance to guide Hassan to a better match against Taylor than the last two so we'll see what they can do. I would give Emami like 10-15% chance against Burroughs. 0-1% against Dake, that chance being if he gets injured. Their HW is very good, I wouldn't be shocked if he got gold. Akgul is far from what he was in the last cycle leading up to the 2016 Olympics in my opinion. Geno is beatable. And Snyder is easier to plan for than Cox. 

4 hours ago, wrestfan said:

summary of what he says:

* their SHW will have a lot to say in the Olympics (meaning he is a serious medal contender)

Thank you for posting this. What does SHW mean in the second bullet?